Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

SpartanIvy posted:

That sure sounds like someone switched names on the Deed and she just bought her mom a house. Or at the very least, the "family friend" put her mom's name on the deed as well, so she's a co-owner.

Yeah seriously.

If her name is on all the paperwork she signed, she needs to be willing to call the cops.

If they pulled a fast one on her and switched the names she needs to lawyer up pronto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SpartanIvy posted:

That sure sounds like someone switched names on the Deed and she just bought her mom a house. Or at the very least, the "family friend" put her mom's name on the deed as well, so she's a co-owner.

Holy gently caress this didn't even cross my mind.

That's terrifying.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I read that story earlier on Reddit and that was some serious "then give me back those papers right the gently caress now" moment. Something is missing there and it's probably a felony.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Yeah if it were me I wouldn't have walked out if that room, even young you'd know there was something not right and a house is a big enough deal to not just roll over. Hope she finds a lawuer who takes em over a barrel, then holds them down in it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I hope if she studied tO be a lawyer then she'd have looked over the papers she signed. I HOPE.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The fact that she didn't get a copy of the papers after signing them all sure makes me think that they're altering them after the fact. Otherwise why not give her a copy? If this was all a trick to get her mom on the deed then they've already won because she signed everything. There was no point in not giving her a copy of the contract.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
How to destroy your relationship with your child in one easy step

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

My husband and I just bought a house and I can guarantee I would have torn up every sheet of paperwork in front of those people if I was treated even half that badly

Just what the gently caress

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
God drat I hope she updates that with her legally turbofucking everyone involved.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
does she have standing at least? I've never bought a house so I don't know how ownership works here

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Alan Smithee posted:

does she have standing at least? I've never bought a house so I don't know how ownership works here

Yeah I mean there’s like 1000 docs you sign at closing and throughout the process for things like the loan, approvals, insurance, misc legal agreements, etc. If they secretly put in her mothers name or something else the realtor and everyone else involved will be professionally hosed.

I don’t blame her for being intimidated but really I wouldn’t have left the room without keys and paperwork. Like I would be calling the Maryland Real Estate Commission to file a complaint while in front of that dipshit before going up the chain of whatever agency they work for.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This is also a reminder on why you don't mix business and family.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

In most states she's solely and personally liable for the sizeable mortgage she just signed for, so either a lot of fraud occurred or a lot of bullshit didn't happen.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

doingitwrong posted:

are there sovereign citizen prenups

Subjunctive posted:

The copious red flags have gold fringe.

Bad With Thread that this didn’t get more love than it did.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Panic and sold off all my positions to get out of market in April. Waiting to get back in. Sitting on cash for a while now hoping for a crash in the stock market. Am I nuts ?

I have regretted on my decision. Sigh....

quote:

Capital one just decreased my limit by $20k!

I had not used my venture card in a while and went to make a purchase but the old card was unreadable. I ordered a replacement card and 24 hours later they reduced my limit from 30k to 10k. High 700s score, zero balance. Called them to reinstate old limit so I could make a large purchase and they said they couldn't. They claimed the reduction was coincidental. I call BS. I'll never give capital one another dime. Their rates were bad enough, but I enjoyed the flexibility of the limit which is now nonexistent. Look out for sudden changes!!

quote:

Late start on retirement at 39. What metal is best to invest in?

Gold and silver are flooded. Thinking about lithium or whatever the top ingredients in iPhones are.

quote:

Girlfriend got scammed, ruined credit score because of shoes???

My gf tried to use cashapp to pay a seller on depop, they took the money and blocked her. She disputed the payment with her bank and got some sort of credit until the investigation was concluded, now cashapp says her account is blocked because she owes them over $100

She says nothing will happen unless the scammer tries to get more money, I’m worried cashapp will send the debt to collections and this will gently caress up her credit record

What to do/say to help her fix the situation?

quote:

(US) If paying off an account in collection doesn't raise your credit score, what's is my incentive to clear out a debt?

Why shouldn't I focus on saving and investing since my access to credit will be limited regardless?

Edit: Stop the downvotes. It's not an opinion or a statement in the form of a rethorical question. It's an actual question. I am looking for answers which will help me decide how to use my cash.

quote:

My dad fired my boyfriend and I, and locked us out of our work accounts. I don’t know what to do.

My dad could be the poster man-child of r/raisedbynarcissists

A few months ago, against my better judgement, I took a job from him. A few weeks later he hired my boyfriend, too. He had set up an ‘emergency fund’ for me to use, and I used it. Apparently, I’m not allowed to use it without permission. We have already gone NC (no contact) before, and one of the main agreements of my allowing them in my life was that they are not allowed to give me anything with strings attached - especially not secret strings. My mom called me to scream at me, I hung up and immediately decided to go NC (no contact) again. A few hours later my boyfriend checked and noticed he had been locked out of every website and program he used for work, including the website we use to get paid.

My dad definitely owes my boyfriend money, and we are definitely fired. But I’m scared because I don’t know how to file for unemployment, and I don’t even know if we can get pay stubs. I have the checks, but they are weird, because sometimes he would pay us with one check, and sometimes he would pay us separate.

What are the next steps I need to take? My bf filed for unemployment last night. He said he didn’t need his pay stubs yet, but he might for it to get approved. Is there anything my Dad can do to block us? If he does, what do we do? I have pay stubs from my job from 2019, but I don’t know if that matters because my dad was my most recent employer.

Any advice would be helpful, thank you

More context on her narcissistic parents and money situation from OP:

quote:

I told my parents that I would no longer accept money from them or speak to them unless they accept that, even though they see it differently, the reality of my childhood for me had been abuse. It’s not like I wanted it brought up in conversation everyday. I just wanted an understanding between us. I thought I had it.

Then I fell for every trick in the book.

I told my dad I needed a new laptop (wasn’t asking for one) and he told me he would get one for me if I worked for him for a bit. So I did, but then he distracted me by buying me a desk, and handed me down a laptop ‘for work’ that was less updated than the one I already had. There I was, back under financial control.

A few weeks ago, my dad and I were drinking some wine. He always wants to talk to me about my goals and life and convince me that I’m the only one in my way, instead of acknowledging all the loving poo poo he did to me to sabotage my career before it even started (long painful story, but he wanted to pursue my passion as a "hobby" instead of a job. Knowing full well that would kill my dream).

I don’t even remember how the conversation got to this point, but he ended up telling me that I am not ‘allowed’ to lie to them. I told him I’m absolutely allowed to lie to him, and that he would burn in Hell for how he abused me as a child. He said “never happened.” So. My one stipulation wasn’t even being upheld.

My mom just called me. They had set up an emergency fund for me after I called my mom crying sometime last year because I didn’t get a job I thought I would, and I felt financially trapped. I used it for an emergency, but didn’t tell them. My mom just called me to scream at me about it.

Nope. Nu-uh. Not again, bitch. I’m in control of this relationship. I decide what you can and can’t do to me, how you can and can’t talk to me. And now you can’t talk to me at all.

I feel a thousand different things. I’m drowning under the weight of my crippling disappointment, because even though I knew that they were narcs, and I read this subreddit everyday, and I knew this was a possibility, I genuinely thought “No, they’re different.” They’re not. Never getting fooled again. I gotta go look for jobs now because I’m unemployed, but my dad refuses to pay me like a normal employee, so I don’t qualify for unemployment. Of course.

quote:

I was barely living paycheck to paycheck when reputation [Taylor Swift Album] came out. Buying the album actually meant me having to miss a meal that day, but it was worth it because I didn’t even notice any hunger as I listened to that album. I had gone no contact with my parents shortly before it came out. I live with them, but I had vowed to not use anything they paid for or speak to them. I felt so personally connected with Taylor during that era. Not being able to afford merch then was heart breaking. Thank you for this post! Thank you Taylor! Thank you everyone and everything involved with me FINALLY being able to buy reputation merch!!

quote:

Paying mortgage with student loans

Hi there! I'm looking to attend college half time, and seem to be eligible for student loans with a very low interest rate (around 1.5%). I was wondering if it's feasible (and legal) to pay my mortgage with the money I get from student loans.

It's worth noting, I am able to pay my mortgage, but I figured if I put the money I normally pay for my mortgage into an investment vehicle that accrues >2% annually, I will end up making about .5% profit on the difference. Is this idea crazy?

quote:

Okay. I'm not syaing I am going to do anything illegal, but how would they even know where my money came from when I pay the mortgage?

quote:

In reality, isn’t Leasing a car better than Buying a new car?

I’ll set some ground assumptions first...

Payment Amount: * Lease: $250/month * Own: $500/month

Payment Length: * Lease: Perpetually * Own: 60-84 months

Additional Info: * Average length of time people own a car in the US: 80 months * According to AAA average maintenance + tires costs come out to $913 annually (which you would only need to pay for if you own the car, under a lease this is all covered by the company) * Owner would spend $6,391 over the 7 years that they own on “maintenance” that the lease would otherwise avoid * I just sold my used car that’s 6 years old for $8,000 so the cost of maintenance is essentially a wash when it comes to whatever little “equity” you have in it after owning it

Conclusion: So in theory it’s assumed to be better to be an owner since you “own” the car and aren’t “flushing money down the drain” but at the end of the day, if you just turn around and buy another car (on average) every 7 years or so, how is the Lease not a clear winner? Especially if you saved and invested the $250/month payment savings each month?

quote:

quote:

Right, but you'll have value in the car itself, you'll never have that with a lease.

381 also seems pretty high for a civic. Definitely implies that it's new, which means your maintenance estimates are high as well.

But, I get a new car for free at the end and you don't get that with buying. I will always need a car and upgrades help.

quote:

How much money in the bank would I need to move from Europe to Montana, USA?

So, me and my girlfriend are planning to move to Montana USA. we've never been out of europe so we have no idea what costs are associated with moving out. As per my research, getting a VISA requires an immigration lawyer and I don't know how much that whole process would cost. I wanna know roughly how much money I need to get ourselfs setup for the first month or two, including rent, safety deposit, food and possibly a car as I intend to move in order to get a job. Rent in Bozeman varies from 1000$ to 2000$.

Also, it seems getting a visa is rather hard these days, to my understanding, having a PhD helps immensely, something neither of us have. Or having a nice enough employer that fills in the papers for us. It seems employers get some value from doing it, so Maybee it's not that hard? I'm sure many of you have moved to the USA, so I would greatly appreciate any tips and tricks that you can provide to help.

quote:

quote:

First question before you even think about saving... what is your plan for employment once you get to Montana?

It's still a big if, but I'll be applying to a position with Alec Steele, Blacksmithing. Both me and my girlfriend have 5 years experience managing restaurants.

quote:

quote:

Alec Steele, Blacksmithing

Google is saying that's like a young blacksmith youtube star? What does that have to do with managing restaurants?

I was just stating the employment possibilities.

quote:

I want to move to Montana because it is hard to follow these dreams in Portugal where it's literally ILLEGAL to forge any kind of blades. Police don't care too much, but if you get into trouble, they can have you for that

quote:

I already forge myself and no factory knife can even compare to a forged one. Limited demand but certainly there is one.

quote:

quote:

false, modern metalurgy makes stamped knives superior to forged in every way except nonstalga.

Not with my technique. Takes time, but quality is always better than mass produced. I just finished a Tanto last week.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That last one is gonna go places.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Gonna go forge my Hanzo steel in *checks notes* Montana?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

« Business, Finance, and Careers › Blade Wielding in Montana Thread

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I can't figure out what's more BWM, wanting to work for a YouTuber or doing knives for a living. My boss's motto for our shop was "we can make everything but money" and he had an established market of ultra rich people who always wanted handrails and fencing for their new homes.

I know of only one guy making a living doing knives, and he's plugged into the high end chefs market. No normal person will pay what's required to forge out a high quality knife.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Baka Weeb Metalurgy: I have folded my savings over 1,000 times

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

threelemmings posted:

I can't figure out what's more BWM, wanting to work for a YouTuber or doing knives for a living. My boss's motto for our shop was "we can make everything but money" and he had an established market of ultra rich people who always wanted handrails and fencing for their new homes.

I know of only one guy making a living doing knives, and he's plugged into the high end chefs market. No normal person will pay what's required to forge out a high quality knife.

as someone who did the former

it's the former

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

quote:

How much should a katana cost that's "ready for war" and is good for general tameshi-giri practice?

How much should a katana be that'll last me at least 3-4 generations, is a good cutter and really durable and strong?

quote:

For weapons that last 3-4 generations, I have a pair of sai from my great grandfather back when civil unreat among villages were common but the generations after him didn’t understand how to take care of it so it’s rusted bad now, so that’s something to consider.

The blade itself will last a long time if made of good high carbon steel, properly tempered and given a suitable edge.

quote:

When my parents ask me why I spend thousands of dollars on blades when I could be spending it on living I tell them "How much does feeling safe cost? How much did you spend on a new car for safety? When I need to use it, it will be worth a lifetime of earnings."

quote:

How expensive should a good sabre cost?

quote:

Depends.

You can get a functional, basic antique like a french m1845/55 infantry sabre for like 150USD that will be durable, stout and hold an edge well.

Or you can spend 500 on a bad pattern welded reproduction of a kilij that has horrendous edge geometry. Equally, you can spend 500 USD on an excellent training sword from castille armoury or kvetun.

Or you can spend 50k on a wootz shamshir with ladders and roses and koftgari decorations and an ivory hilt.

quote:

Buy a sword based on your intended use, 1 handed or 2 handed.

quote:

Your blade should be representative of your family lineage and style. Find a blade that represents your ancestors and then find the best quality one you can possibly find. My rule of thumb is your family sword should cost about 10% of the cost of your house. You'll pass the house onto future generations and the sword should be lasting dozens of generations. If you rent then just take your annual rent x 30 and divide by 10. This is the endgame sword. You shouldnt feel pressured to get it right away, but you need to have a plan to get it eventually.

quote:

Saving up for the sword you actually want, rather than getting the cheapest version of it, is usually the best way to go about it in my experience. Get a beginner sword to hold on to while you wait.

quote:

How do you know if an antique katana has been in a battle or has tasted blood?

quote:

Yes, tameshi giri

Check this out http://www.katana-craft.com/tameshigiri/

quote:

The blade I am wanting is about $6k USD and $170 shipping. I'd be willing to pay $10k and shipping for a tameshi giri blade. How much extra does it usually add to the cost?

quote:

I have to sell my skyjiro sword because i need money for college.

quote:

I'm sorry friend. Have you looked into loans? I also chose to invest in a blade instead of college because I knew the loans would be there, but the sword might not be. I yearn for a world where the katana is more valuable and respected than a piece of paper but those who benefit from the current system want to keep it.

quote:

Best way to arm my groomsmen?

Hi Reddit, I'm getting married this Fall! Wedding theme will be based on Fire Emblem. As part of the theme, me and the boys will be donning swords for pictures, and of course, the obligatory cake-cutting with a sword. I've been lurking this subreddit for a while now and found that for the most part, Kult of Athena is the way to go with swords.

Links to sword choices below. As the groom, I've decided to go with the Carpathian sword from Darksword Armory as it most resembles the Falchion from OG Fire Emblem. As for my groomsmen, I'm torn between either the Norman sword or the hand and a half sword. Going off of a generic Steel sword from most Fire Emblem games. I've heard nothing but good reviews on the Norman sword, although I haven't heard too much about the latter. Additionally, it would be nice to have a slightly longer sword for my groomsmen to hold with 2 hands.

On a related topic, I've also included below a link to adjustable sword hangers that would hang off your belt. It looks to be compatible with the scabbards of both groomsmen sword choices, but for wedding attire, would it be best to use a separate belt? If so, do you guys have any recommendations that you'd stand by?

Groom's sword - Darksword Carpathian Sword

http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=DSA1333BRS

Groomsmen swords:

Hanwei Practical Norman Sword - SH2326
http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2326

Hanwei Practical Hand and a Half Sword - 5th Generation - SH2106
http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SH2106

Adjustable Sword Hangers - LB25364
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=LB25364

quote:

Posing with some of my Cold Steel for a FB photo competition they had a while back.

Could have had a downpayment for a house and there is only 1% of me that regrets the choice. I still have somewhere to live AND I have blades!

quote:

How you know that you're winning at life.

quote:

Awesome concept. Does anyone know examples of same thing pulled off better? Got commitment from fiance to do this!

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 23, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bringing Weapons Medieval

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MATRIMONIAL KOMBAT

*high energy bassline*

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I choose to believe that all of these posts are a response to

quote:

Late start on retirement at 39. What metal is best to invest in?

Gold and silver are flooded. Thinking about lithium or whatever the top ingredients in iPhones are.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Can't read any of them without hearing them in "Hanwei Practical Katana" voice

"IT'S TAPE!" :byodood:

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I too, like all idiot nerds purchased a bad katana off the internet once. Except I was like 13 and promptly bent the blade and broke the sad tang off at the hilt while trying to cut something. $50 well spent.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I too, like all idiot nerds purchased a bad katana off the internet once. Except I was like 13 and promptly bent the blade and broke the sad tang off at the hilt while trying to cut something. $50 well spent.

I bought a set from Kris Cutlery way back when they still made them in the Philippines. Gave them to a friend a couple of months ago who’s been doing some kata training and wanted some real ones since they were just catching dust at my house.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm so thankful I never went through the anime/katana phase of nerdery.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Residency Evil posted:

I'm so thankful I never went through the anime/katana phase of nerdery.

I hung wall scrolls in college, to my eternal shame. No katanas, though!! :downs:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Somehow in all that bad with swords it’s this math that offends me the most:

If you rent then just take your annual rent x 30 and divide by 10

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
My dork friends did not have many real swords, but we did have wooden training swords. They might have been worse because that meant we felt okay actually sparring with them. Honestly, it's kinda amazing no one got seriously hurt, because we were dumb.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

No amount of money can ever re-buy the dignity lost from:

quote:

Best way to arm my groomsmen?

Wedding theme will be based on Fire Emblem.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 23, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Cyrano4747 posted:

Somehow I missed this error in the Sword Equity calculation the first time around.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah that stuck out to me too

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I also got a sword off ebay when I was around 13. It's completely 100% blunt and it hangs by the front door with dog leads over the handle.

I was talking to some of the local kids a while back, 4-5 kids all aged around 8-10, and bought it out to amuse them. I handed it over to one of the boys, at which point a girl in the group grabbed it off him, pushed it back into my hands with a firm "No." and basically forced me to take it back inside. She's probably more sensible than me...

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Nettle Soup posted:

I also got a sword off ebay when I was around 13. It's completely 100% blunt and it hangs by the front door with dog leads over the handle.

I was talking to some of the local kids a while back, 4-5 kids all aged around 8-10, and bought it out to amuse them. I handed it over to one of the boys, at which point a girl in the group grabbed it off him, pushed it back into my hands with a firm "No." and basically forced me to take it back inside. She's probably more sensible than me...

Yeah that's a hard yes on that dude :stonk:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A good sword will pay for itself in tang

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Betazoid posted:

I hung wall scrolls in college, to my eternal shame. No katanas, though!! :downs:

Does getting a shinai count as gwm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I don't understand this "paying for knives" thing. If you're not getting them for free from your job to do your job you probably don't need knives

E: oh God there was another page