Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/KieranBhatia/status/1297612099473018886

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what makes a typhoon super? got bit by a radioactive derencho?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

actionjackson posted:

don't worry, these are the same people that insist on staying in CA and paying 3-4x+ for housing because they enjoy the lifestyle

lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

what is usual about this storm?

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Bip Roberts posted:

what is usual about this storm?

it looks like one of the projected paths is right through Pyongyang, it also appears from my brief stroll through twitter using that hashtag that it’s basically just revving itself up because conditions are great for it to just keep getting stronger.

idk much about typhoons though

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

someone turn off the smoke

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i insist on living in california because its where i am employed

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

i insist on living in california because its where i am employed

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

flash flood flash flood

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Unless the home is literally in the middle of a major forest surrounded by trees on all sides it's not terribly difficult to harden it against wildfires, but everyone who owns these houses is too old, lazy, and entitled to make even the barest efforts. When at-risk counties try to put in place common sense regulations regarding landscaping and fire prevention the boomers lose their goddamn minds and show up to pitch an enormous fit about their favorite dying oak tree with branches overhanging their roof.

or they are too busy working and rent to do it gently caress

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/7BOkPpH.gifv

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

https://twitter.com/DylanBouscher/status/1297107450835824640

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Spoondick posted:

the most lethal fire in american history was the 1871 peshtigo fire mostly in wisconsin with up to 2500 deaths, but that was before deforestation, evacuation notifications and motorized transport... california will probably get the high score there at some point too

big wildfires were pretty common in former Great Lakes logging areas because settlers and farmers tried to clear the leftover brush by lighting it on fire. it was apparently sort of common for these fires to get out of hand and kill people, even though the peshtigo fire was an extreme example

so really, deforestation sort of caused that one

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New Orleans just Matrix-dodging these hurricanes

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Aug 23, 2020

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

this new 2dcat music video is rad af

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

oh no

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Good thing we all have to wear masks anyway.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Marco may send all the actual rain north as the storm itself completely falls apart into just a wind storm with no water attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxmTQMyEQXg

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Marco may send all the actual rain north as the storm itself completely falls apart into just a wind storm with no water attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxmTQMyEQXg

central texas:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Texas hasn’t eaten a hurricane for a while, it must be hungry.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

New Orleans just Matrix-dodging these hurricanes

Are they gonna trend slightly west so the double storm nightmare happens to Houston instead of New Orleans?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Are they gonna trend slightly west so the double storm nightmare happens to Houston instead of New Orleans?

Based on that youtube meteorologist, Marco is gonna fall apart from wind sheer and either Mississippi or Louisiana will get a bunch of rain from it, but not really organized in a storm form.

Laura going south under Cuba makes it a lot more likely to get stronger and go west. Laura could be a dangerous storm, and Marco could fizzle out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Based on that youtube meteorologist, Marco is gonna fall apart from wind sheer and either Mississippi or Louisiana will get a bunch of rain from it, but not really organized in a storm form.

Laura going south under Cuba makes it a lot more likely to get stronger and go west. Laura could be a dangerous storm, and Marco could fizzle out.

That's like the sixth storm this season to fizzle out before hitting the US. lame.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

what makes a typhoon super? got bit by a radioactive derencho?

we should americanize derecho to "drencho"

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/ChetPowell/status/1297330244601487360

Man Musk has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Aug 24, 2020

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

pancake rabbit posted:

shut up shut up SHUT UP OR THEY'LL FIND US

lol nobody is coming to the great lakes because Americans are babies that flee to unlivable hellholes just so they never have to see snow

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Ultimately they decided to do a nights and weekends partial shutdown, but also decided to speed it up by making it shittier. The wires and cables that send signals through the tunnel used to be housed in a protective concrete sheath, and this sheath was all crumbled due to salt water from Sandy. The original plan was to tear it all out and rebuild it. The new plan was to leave the crumbling wall there and cover it with strong netting so chunks don't fall out and derail trains. And instead of running cables through the protective concrete wall, they just stapled them to the tunnel wall.

So, repairs are "officially done," but none of the damage from Sandy has really been fixed, and if the tunnel floods again we are turbofucked.

macgyver but for infrastructure

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

it's a good video! the most interesting part is that marco seems to push the texas high pressure bubble further west, enabling laura to strengthen and plow west instead of slipping north from shear

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Paradoxish posted:

lol nobody is coming to the great lakes because Americans are babies that flee to unlivable hellholes just so they never have to see snow

why would i want to move to a red state like michigan

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Red Baron posted:

it looks like one of the projected paths is right through Pyongyang, it also appears from my brief stroll through twitter using that hashtag that it’s basically just revving itself up because conditions are great for it to just keep getting stronger.

idk much about typhoons though

Typhoon is just a different name for a tropical cyclone, which name you use depends on where you are in the world. Tropical cyclones in the Atlantic and northeast Pacific are called hurricanes, ones in the northwest Pacific are Typhoons and ones in the south Pacific and Indian oceans are usually just called cyclones.

A super typhoon is equivalent to a cat 5 hurricane.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone

Helith has issued a correction as of 01:13 on Aug 24, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vox Nihili posted:

Unless the home is literally in the middle of a major forest surrounded by trees on all sides it's not terribly difficult to harden it against wildfires, but everyone who owns these houses is too old, lazy, and entitled to make even the barest efforts. When at-risk counties try to put in place common sense regulations regarding landscaping and fire prevention the boomers lose their goddamn minds and show up to pitch an enormous fit about their favorite dying oak tree with branches overhanging their roof.

It’s also like the pandemic in that yes a mask helps you, but if the community around you is flagrantly unsafe, there are limits to how much a person can protect themselves.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

could be 1, could be 5, who's to say lol

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/1297680067649208321

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Many sides, many sides.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

the answer is pretty much always that you should never completely trust any one model

the NHC official forecast is consistently the most accurate, because it turns out that experts know what they are doing and how to interpret and incorporate model results

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

note that intensity forecasts are still very much ??? impaired to location. the NWS official forecast is only committing to a position and that “H” and that H becoming an M doesn’t actually change the forecast accuracy.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

went to college in SD would love to move to get a job in the great lakes area

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I am just glad the president has a stable hand on the tiller to guide America through th... Oh no

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
looks like widdle marco wont even become a hurricane

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

lmao if you live in the lower 48 states, or in a state at all rather than a colony of the states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus christ. even new york?

sadly my first thought was I wonder if this will show up in Flight Simulator's live weather