Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/marlon_humphrey/status/1297671214174003202

shots fired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1297630324927668229

:thunk:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's very common for opposing position groups to fight (or opposite teams in joint practices) but I'm having trouble of thinking of a time where two players on the same unit got into it with each other.

For the Packers the only time I can think of for that was maybe Ahmad Carroll and Joey Thomas from over a decade ago.

Yeah there's a laundry list of infractions, plus the leadership council on the ravens (a bunch of players) hate him, posting training camp tape on instagram, the offseason poo poo. Thomas doesn't have much of a leg to stand on with regards to voiding the guarantees. I can't imagine the players union will stand up for him very much if other players are the ones telling him to gently caress off.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Earl Thomas, part of a beloved Super Bowl championship team and was arguably the best at his position a couple years ago, yet you wouldn't find many Seahawks fans willing to bring him back at the minimum. I guess now he gets to make his dream a reality, to ruin the Cowboy's locker room.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Lifespan posted:

Earl Thomas, part of a beloved Super Bowl championship team and was arguably the best at his position a couple years ago, yet you wouldn't find many Seahawks fans willing to bring him back at the minimum. I guess now he gets to make his dream a reality, to ruin the Cowboy's locker room.

I'd love to have Earl back in Seattle

On a one day contract if in a few years so he can retire a Seahawk. Clear he wanted nothing more to do with the team anyway. But yes, point taken. He was world class, and maybe still is, but he's a crazy person who was kept in check by the big personalities on that defense. Glad the Hawks have Diggs so they won't be tempted.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Lifespan posted:

A dream for which I wish him the utmost success.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

shirts and skins posted:

I'd love to have Earl back in Seattle

On a one day contract if in a few years so he can retire a Seahawk. Clear he wanted nothing more to do with the team anyway. But yes, point taken. He was world class, and maybe still is, but he's a crazy person who was kept in check by the big personalities on that defense. Glad the Hawks have Diggs so they won't be tempted.

Yeah I think some of what's getting lost in all this is that he's still a great player. I definitely did not want him gone, and I wish this got resolved any other way. I have no ill will towards the dude except that he seems like a really weird and odd guy, but it's not like I can thumb my nose at him for that. The whole thing sucks.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Hey, I was looking up when opening day is, an apparently you can buy tickets? Is the NFL really going to try to have fans at games this year? Really?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Patrick Spens posted:

Hey, I was looking up when opening day is, an apparently you can buy tickets? Is the NFL really going to try to have fans at games this year? Really?

There no uniform policy. Most teams will not have fans. The CHUDdy states will.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

octoruss

have you seen this, have you heard about this

https://twitter.com/johnmarkrodgers/status/1297384775959814144?s=21

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
For gently caress's sake.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
It would be way less endearing if he wasn’t so weird and awkward.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bob Socko posted:

octoruss

If that's what happens when you drink Nanobubbles, then gently caress that poo poo.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Bob Socko posted:

octoruss

Reminds me of that upsetting picture he took with a pregnant Ciara, no I'm not looking it up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I thought Sports Illustrated fired all their writers and were going use like local bloggers for coverage or something?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1297705526789320704?s=20

Surprised rog can see which way the wind's blowing from his basement

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Bob Socko posted:

octoruss

Dr Manhattan?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah I think some of what's getting lost in all this is that he's still a great player. I definitely did not want him gone, and I wish this got resolved any other way. I have no ill will towards the dude except that he seems like a really weird and odd guy, but it's not like I can thumb my nose at him for that. The whole thing sucks.

I really hope all other options were exhausted. It's such a big loss.

100% expected it to blow over by Monday.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

SirPablo posted:

Dr Manhattan?

giant russ strides down the field toward the endzone, dick flopping in the breeze

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Borsche69 posted:

He didn't have a great year and the year prior was drama, then part of season with great play, then drama. He is definitely capable, but I was thankful that the Seahawks did not give in to him and eventually let him walk. The fact that the Ravens want to wash their hands of him after one year is a huge red flag that either his play has dropped or he is even more of a drama bomb than has been public (which is a lot). I'll be curious to see what Dallas offers him, but I don't think anyone would be crazy enough to offer him more than a year with almost none guaranteed. This would like be a last chance too, so he better figure out some poo poo.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
He was no Sharpe. He ran his mouth before the playoffs and got embarrassed. Still wish it could have worked out, but oh well.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

I can’t believe they released Earl for saying that Lamar can’t throw

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Bob Socko posted:

octoruss

Wait, Wilson isn't in his prime? Seriously? That's a statement they're going to make?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Wait, Wilson isn't in his prime? Seriously? That's a statement they're going to make?

Favre/Peyton/Brady/Brees and now Rivers and Rodgers playing well so late into their 30s has kinda skewed people's views of QB aging.

Most QBs drop off around age 35 or so. Wilson is 31. What happens when age starts catching up to his legs?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

Favre/Peyton/Brady/Brees and now Rivers and Rodgers playing well so late into their 30s has kinda skewed people's views of QB aging.

Most QBs drop off around age 35 or so. Wilson is 31. What happens when age starts catching up to his legs?

He's 31? Did he join the NFL when he was 12? Feels like he's been around forever.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

SirPablo posted:

He's 31? Did he join the NFL when he was 12? Feels like he's been around forever.

Infamously drafted in 2012.

We’re all old.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

fartknocker posted:

Infamously drafted in 2012.

We’re all old.

In the 3rd round, right?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

See I feel like he's still fairly new. Then I think about how long ago that infamous SB throw was and realize the years are speeding by oh god

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

AndrewP posted:

See I feel like he's still fairly new. Then I think about how long ago that infamous SB throw was and realize the years are speeding by oh god

The 5 year anniversary of Jimmy Tomsula ripping hot rear end on mic is in like 6 weeks

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
This video originally aired during the 2005 NFL Draft, and I will still watch it every time someone posts it:

https://youtu.be/rZxNeFLuY98

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Spoeank posted:

The 5 year anniversary of Jimmy Tomsula ripping hot rear end on mic is in like 6 weeks

The day football peaked

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

fartknocker posted:

This video originally aired during the 2005 NFL Draft, and I will still watch it every time someone posts it:

https://youtu.be/rZxNeFLuY98

I always remember this. Man, that could be the sort of thing that actually drove me away from being a fan of a team.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
“Fullback”

NOOOOOOO

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Lifespan posted:

He didn't have a great year

This is what I'm talking about. He had a really good year! Depends on what you want to define as 'great', but from a positional perspective he was a really good free safety in 2019. People will harp on the playoff loss and some of the early season (and if they're really stupid they'll harp on the lack of interceptions), but good and great players will still have bad plays (especially when you play in the secondary which is probably second behind oline as a thankless and unappreciated position). Thomas was not bad last year by any means and probably would've had a good year in 2020 (if any games are played lol!)

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

AndrewP posted:

people talking about how covid is making this year so slow but its nearly loving september already. well maybe its different to me when i live alone and dont have to deal with kids and get to work from home. the combo makes this year loving zoom by

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
No one would say Earl had a bad year, but it was below what he had delivered in his numerous years prior and below what you expect for the price. Not career ending, but if it looks like he will go down from there and is a lovely teammate, it's a good reason to break that contract.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Lifespan posted:

No one would say Earl had a bad year, but it was below what he had delivered in his numerous years prior and below what you expect for the price. Not career ending, but if it looks like he will go down from there and is a lovely teammate, it's a good reason to break that contract.

Yeah, it was below the hall of fame standards, I will agree with that. That's what I meant by the 'what do you define as great' standards. It was still a very good year. I would take an Earl Thomas 'below standard year' over Matt Elam or Will Hill (who wasn't even terrible! totally serviceable except for his very unfortunate off the field poo poo) or whoever else you'd throw back there. As far as the skill concerned, there's not a lot of safeties - based solely on 2019 - that I would want playing instead of him for 2020. For the price? Yeah even that - last year he was totally worth a contract that would devalue as the salary cap exploded (again, a thing that covid ruined)

Now, at the other end of the spectrum, I still am on board with cutting him. This was a totally toxic situation that very clearly had no recourse other than a split. The training camp vid post is some next level poo poo and the guy is a headcase. If I was trying to make a point here instead of rambling endlessly, I guess I would just say that the guy was a really good player that still has a lot of skill and talent left that I wish was still on the team and I wish we were able to come to a more amicable resolution. I can only see this as a net positive in the terms of 'his teammates won't be loving pissed at him constantly all season', which isn't anything to sneeze at, but it's not the same positive as 'they found a workable solution to this and we still get to utilize the man's talents'

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Kawalimus posted:

He was no Sharpe. He ran his mouth before the playoffs and got embarrassed. Still wish it could have worked out, but oh well.

You run your mouth 24/7 and get embarrassed day to day.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Borsche69 posted:

You run your mouth 24/7 and get embarrassed day to day.

Well they don't pay me 10 million dollars to do it! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
https://twitter.com/reinhurdler/status/1295869586789801984