Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Its gonna be hard to top that bit in Legend of the Seeker where the lady falls while running and in slomo shows everything but the R16 bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Siuan Sanche is the princess from Ace Ventura 2? LOL

Ace: [the Tiny Warrior shrieks in Wachutu] What did he just say?

Fulton Greenwall: I *think* he said, she's not a virgin.

Ace: [pause] They can *tell* that?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

th3t00t posted:

Siuan Sanche is the princess from Ace Ventura 2? LOL

Ace: [the Tiny Warrior shrieks in Wachutu] What did he just say?

Fulton Greenwall: I *think* he said, she's not a virgin.

Ace: [pause] They can *tell* that?

I'm still practicing my mantra from thinking about Perrin "working the forge"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it a common consensus that books 8 to 10 could have been one volume, and every volume could be 300 pages shorter?

A lot of characters will be cut or combined, though I hope that rapist Eamon Valda stays because he's got the same first name as me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think 7-11 are generally regarded as "the slog", but skimming the Plot Synopsis for 8, 9, and 10 on wikipedia and yea, I think I remember those 3 being especially egregious.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yeah, but I think he was an equal opportunity kink endorser. Remember, the Aiel are like, eyebrow and collarbone fetishists or w/e.

Collarbones are good my friend

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

True. Mat on the other hand, with his immortal line "excellent pale bosom" about Berelain

IDK i always felt like he's an rear end MAN. he mentions backsides, Elayne's specifically, and as I've said I always expected them to get together in my first read. but the wheel wills whatever the gently caress it wants

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Death of the author, if the text speaks to you of rear end, then it's rear end!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Brolander posted:

IDK i always felt like he's an rear end MAN. he mentions backsides, Elayne's specifically, and as I've said I always expected them to get together in my first read. but the wheel wills whatever the gently caress it wants

Mat just likes women. Butts. Boobs. Legs. Lips. Eyes. Whatever. He finds something to compliment on nearly every woman he meets.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Eyebrows, though, that was Aviendha right?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

Eyebrows, though, that was Aviendha right?
She gets teased about wasting time daydreaming about Rand's eyebrows by wise ones at some point, but I seem to remember other Aiel talking about it too.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

ConfusedUs posted:

Mat just likes women. Butts. Boobs. Legs. Lips. Eyes. Whatever. He finds something to compliment on nearly every woman he meets.

this is true, the man is horny in all ways

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Sab669 posted:

I think 7-11 are generally regarded as "the slog", but skimming the Plot Synopsis for 8, 9, and 10 on wikipedia and yea, I think I remember those 3 being especially egregious.
8-10 are the slog. Honestly the first 2/3's of book 6 are a slog, but the ending makes up for it. And book 7 is better than 6 aside from ending, the final boss battle against Sammael is extremely underwhelming. 8 is the first book where these is no token "forsaken protagonist of this book" or final boss battle against a forsaken, 9 is a painful chore outside of the 4 way warder bonding chapters and the cleansing of saidin. 10 is an abomination outside of the like 2 rand chapters and handful of mat chapters.

On my last re-read I told myself going into it that this time I wouldn't skim anything. Read every page and pick up details I had missed. I managed until book 9, and probably skimmed 1/4 of it. Then I skimmed 3/4 of 10. It just couldn't keep my attention.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Now listening through Dragon Reborn for the first time and being forced to take it slowly rather than speeding through, and I’m realizing what an absolute clinic it is in establishing Mat as a character.

Up to this point he’s basically an anonymous ticking clock who liked pranks and is defined mostly as being more skeptical of Rand than Perrin is. But here, the first scene with him conscious is the legendary “eats a whole chicken and a pitcher of wine” scene while he thinks (again, incredible that it’s a legendary scene where it’s just one character pacing around and thinking and eating). Then you have his chat with the Amyrlin and Lanfear, and immediately following it’s him getting shut down by fake-Else and whooping Galad and Gawyn with a stick. Maybe three chapters with no wasted moments that completely define his character, establish his key traits, and put the reader squarely in his corner.

Really great stuff.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I swear, the line from hammar yelling "who was the greatest swordsman of all time" is so, so good.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

silvergoose posted:

I swear, the line from hammar yelling "who was the greatest swordsman of all time" is so, so good.

It was when he covered the bets for Galad and Gawyn I knew poo poo was about to go down. The guy who trains Warders knows what's about to happen and just wants some entertainment.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

seaborgium posted:

It was when he covered the bets for Galad and Gawyn I knew poo poo was about to go down. The guy who trains Warders knows what's about to happen and just wants some entertainment.

Not "just", when you've got headstrong youths with a bit of skill the hardest thing to teach is humility. Not sure how much they learned, but no teacher's gonna let a chance like that go by.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

plus you just know he rolled up and his aes sedai was like dude wtf you haven't been able to talk for 3 hours because you've been laughing nonstop what's going on

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

plus you just know he rolled up and his aes sedai was like dude wtf you haven't been able to talk for 3 hours because you've been laughing nonstop what's going on

Hammar :smith:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

loving Gawyn is the worst

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
if he cant teach two dudes with swords how to beat one guy fresh from his sickbed, he deserves what he got
i firmly believe the reason the younglings won the tower battle was because they were getting some training on the sly from someone who had actually seen a sword before

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

awesmoe posted:

if he cant teach two dudes with swords how to beat one guy fresh from his sickbed, he deserves what he got
i firmly believe the reason the younglings won the tower battle was because they were getting some training on the sly from someone who had actually seen a sword before

The warders probably weren't trying to kill their students at first and were preoccupied with the Aes Sedai freaking out, while the Younglings probably knew if they went after them they'd have to go all out, so the warders eventually losing seemed possible to me

Also spears and staves are always superior to swords, even without taking Mat's ridiculous luck into account. Two on one is unlikely but far more so than if the weapons had been reversed.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

The warders probably weren't trying to kill their students at first and were preoccupied with the Aes Sedai freaking out, while the Younglings probably knew if they went after them they'd have to go all out, so the warders eventually losing seemed possible to me

Also spears and staves are always superior to swords, even without taking Mat's ridiculous luck into account. Two on one is unlikely but far more so than if the weapons had been reversed.
im just saying anyone who bets against two of his best students and on some random dude he's literally never met before doesn't have a lot of confidence in his own teaching ability
(but that is a fair point about the swords, and the battle)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the entire point was pretty much to teach them that the sword isn't the end-all be-all of everything and that there's things that can outright gently caress them up if they underestimate them, because at the end of the day they were still recruits and probably full of themselves. getting knocked on their asses was a lesson.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Also it seems likely that he wouldn't normally have bet on a man he knew nothing about if that person didn't bend chance and circumstance to benefit his narrative.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Do you think Lanfear was constantly going around in awful disguises back before the war as well?

Oh god I bet Lews Therin fell for all of them.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

where did Mats luck come from? Was it the dice terangreal or taveren poo poo?
I'm rereading a few books ahead of a friend of mine who is borrowing my books and reading behind me. He just finished the dragon reborn and still didn't like mat, pointing out specifically the fight against gawyn and galad and the luck as seemingly coming from nowhere.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Atlas Hugged posted:

Also it seems likely that he wouldn't normally have bet on a man he knew nothing about if that person didn't bend chance and circumstance to benefit his narrative.

If the pattern decided that galad and gawyn needed the poo poo beaten out of them, I can accept it

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

It's something to do with his soul and the ta'veren poo poo interacting with it. He's always born as a gambler and a general.

The dice ter'angreal don't have anything to do with it.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Pretty sure there's nothing in the books to explain Mat's luck explicitly. But interviews have revealed that he's a unique soul like The Dragon, or the Heroes of the Horn who gets woven out into the pattern every so often. A soul known as The Gambler, always lucky and prone to taking chances.

There's very mild hints to that in the book. Both the Heroes of the Horn and the Eelfinns and Aelfinns call him Gambler but I think that's about it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's his magic power, kinda like how perrin is the living embodiment of the 'there are two wolves inside you' meme and rand's ability is to be bugshit insane

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's his magic power, kinda like how perrin is the living embodiment of the 'there are two wolves inside you' meme and rand's ability is to be bugshit insane

Bugshit insane and a borderline idiot savant with channeling. Seriously like half of his channeling is "I don't really know how I did it it just kinda worked"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I always kinda thought him being possessed by the dagger brought about his luck cause it was after him being cured the dice started rolling around in his head.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

There is nothing you can do about the son of Clark that is Jordan

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Bugshit insane and a borderline idiot savant with channeling. Seriously like half of his channeling is "I don't really know how I did it it just kinda worked"

"Oh no fish and loaves just keep coming out how do I stop this"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

and sometimes lews therin just decides to start slinging out gateways like destructo discs from dragonball z to mow down entire legions of trollocs

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I'm rereading a few books ahead of a friend of mine who is borrowing my books and reading behind me. He just finished the dragon reborn and still didn't like mat, pointing out specifically the fight against gawyn and galad and the luck as seemingly coming from nowhere.

There's a bit later on where you find out that Mat is a reincarnation of a persona that has done enough stuff to be a Hero of the Horn but explicitly turns it down in every life because the idea of being controlled by anything beyond their own choices and random luck is antithetical to their nature.

Relying on luck, beating the odds, etc is just his thing, regardless of when and where he gets spun out. Probably safe to assume there's some precipitating event in each life to really "activate" it but we'll never know for sure.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Karatheon Cycle posted:

Fortune rides like the sun on high,
with the fox that makes the ravens fly.
Luck his soul, the lightning his eye,
he snatches the moons from out of the sky.

Luck is his soul. As others have pointed out, it's something specific to his soul, just like being the Dragon is specific to Rand's/LLT's soul.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Joestar posted:

the accents are one of the biggest points made about characters and tend to be one of the most important identifying factors

man, I hope they don't go down that route with the series, the German dub will just bulldoze all those dialects flat, or make everything super ludicrous by exchanging dialects with German ones

the Seanchan will all talk in a Bavarian dialect because get it, Bavaria is in the south

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Libluini posted:

man, I hope they don't go down that route with the series, the German dub will just bulldoze all those dialects flat, or make everything super ludicrous by exchanging dialects with German ones

the Seanchan will all talk in a Bavarian dialect because get it, Bavaria is in the south

GRUSS GOTT TUON