Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I started lessons after the start of lockdown, did a bunch via zoom and had a coupe f2f's since.
Although he's based in my "city" (well, what passes for one in the southwest of England), since lockdown he's been giving a bunch over Zoom including some dude in Malaysia who somehow found him.

Face to face lessons have a different vibe but tbh just having an outside agency examine your playing and say 'try doing it like this' is hugely helpful, regardless of whether it's in person or via Zoom.
I had my last lesson for now (6 or 7 Zomm ones and 2 face to face ones) yesterday and the last thing I asked was "can you actually notice a difference in my playing?" and he said yes, and explained where I've improved.
I'm a sort of intermediate player in my own mind and the reason I started with lessons was I felt I'd plateaued big time and any improvements I make feel super incremental.
Having said that, if I try to play stuff I could do at 70 bpm 16ths before, now a few months down the line I can do at 90+.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I have honestly found the Fender Play stuff to be totally helpful with practicing and building off techniques.

I found Justin's stuff a bit harder to follow once you hit the intermediate level.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Helianthus Annuus posted:

is that a metal pick guard? looks heavy -- this thing give me a herniated disc just looking at it

is it just me or is the action like half an inch high? like its set up for slide or somethin

I have one, it's more like mirrored plastic.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah but those teisco pickups were weird as poo poo, they were made with like a magnetized rubber or something. The modern recreations are just lower power pickups with some cosmetic foil over the top.

Oh ok, yea. I have some 60 year old pickups in an ebay Teisco. They are microphonic, to da extreme. You can shout into them and you'll be loud and clear in the amp. I don't why but, I've always wanted the classic original goldfoils in a telecaster for some crazy reason. I'm sure it would be doable and a ton of trouble but unique.
BTW I heard that original Dano pickups were made from lipstick tubes, makes sense.
Looking at the Lollar's. I just know those soapbar goldfoil pups are going to sound amazing, while also looking cool.

I just play a classical now so my life is a lot simpler than the pedal board + wall of guitar phase a few years back

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 21, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ThePineapple posted:

Anyone have advice on how to find guitar lessons (for beginners, but also in general) during this covid era? Are people doing in-person lessons at all, or have they somehow moved to Zoom etc? I just started guitar and been playing for around a month or so, I've have been following JustinGuitar's beginner lessons, but was interested in seeing if real-life lessons would be a better way to learn.
That being said I don't feel like I'm not learning right now, and there's still a lot of material on Justinguitar that I can go through, but thought I'd start looking into it.

Call up your local studios and ask. These guys have all moved to Zoom. I was going in person before Covid and we switched over and it's actually been even more effective than in person. These instructors still need to work so I'm certain they're available, but with schedule flexibility since they don't have to drive to a location.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Curtis Novak does both the Japanese and DeArmond style foils, in multiple pickup formats, and from what I've heard they sound close to the originals I've had.

That said it's really had to pay boutique prices when an original DeArmond sells for under $125.

Also, the base design of the DeArmond pickups was used for a shitload of pickups they made for Harmony, Kay, Silvertone, Rickenbacker, Gretsch, Guild, Fender, etc. There's output differences and a lot of cosmetic differences, but the pickup used in a Fender Coronado is very close in tone to the adjustable pole-piece Mustache Gold Foils found in a Harmony from around the same time period.

And they all belong in the neck position of a Tele

DeArmond Coronado in my blue floral partscaster

Harmony "S" Golden-Tones in a long-gone Mexi-Tele from 20+ years ago

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

widefault posted:

DeArmond Coronado in my blue floral partscaster

I agree that the neck position is the pickup on a tele you swap out. St. Keith showed us the way.

Also I kinda dig that floral tele, I never fell in love with the paisley ones but that kinda works.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

I have honestly found the Fender Play stuff to be totally helpful with practicing and building off techniques.

I found Justin's stuff a bit harder to follow once you hit the intermediate level.

Me too. It’s fun, I learn, and then I can jam along with some songs. You can do bass and ukulele lessons too, so it’s well worth the money IMO.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

I agree that the neck position is the pickup on a tele you swap out. St. Keith showed us the way.

:colbert: Steve Marriott did it in 1968. From what I can find it's a "Tru-Sound" pickup, made by Bill Lawrence way back before aftermarket pickups were a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jYgctXpajs

quote:

Also I kinda dig that floral tele, I never fell in love with the paisley ones but that kinda works.

It's a GFS body made of the cheapest non-plywood they could find. It is ridiculously light, the whole guitar is under 6lbs, but very soft and splintered like crazy when I was cutting for the pickup. Cheap, though, like $50, and the finish isn't terrible.

widefault fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 22, 2020

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
So a while back I grabbed a Gretsch G5232T that was on sale. The Bigsby on it would pretty much always throw it out of tune, so I figured that fixing it up could be something to kill time during the whole quarantine mess. Since I've gotten a lot of good technical advice from this thread over the years I thought I'd share what I've learned here in case someone finds it helpful.

A few years back I grabbed the guitar on the right, a Gretsch Corvette, and it had issues with using the Bigsby throwing the guitar out of tune. The bridge would actually rock back and forth when the Bigsby was used, and lubricating the nut and saddles didn't solve it. I had it for maybe a month and was lucky enough to have some free parts/work done on it. A fancy set of a Graphtech bridge, nut, and locking tuners later and it works perfectly. Holds tune better than my Les Paul with no trem system actually. With the new Gretsch (the one on the left) I could have just put the same parts in, but I thought I'd try something different as a way to kill time and learn something.

The first thing I tried was the Bricks Biggsfix (https://bricksbiggsfix.com/). The videos on his site showed it fixing the bridge rocking issue I was having, so I gave it a shot along with the softer spring in the shop. It was about $55 for the new tension bar and $10 for the spring. I put it in and it doesn't fix anything. It still goes out of tune and the bridge still rocks back and forth. It feels better, but that was mainly due to the new softer spring.

Next I tried a $20 Wilkonson roller bridge I found on Reverb, and that works for the most part. The rocking goes away and the tuning is stable except the G string, which is better but still not perfect. I'm pretty sure that's an issue on the nut end, since that seems to be a common issue on 3x3 headstocks. However, I still had the Biggsfix on it, so maybe it was a combo of the bridge and new tension bar. I put the old tension bar back on to check and while the bridge doesn't rock it doesn't keep tune as well. It's better than it was stock, but the Biggsfix/roller bridge combo seems to be needed to make it work.

In the end, it seems that either an ~$80 Graphtech bridge or ~$75 for a Biggsfix/roller bridge combo work. I still need to fix the G string, and I'm leaning towards getting a cheap set of files to try and clean up the nut slot before going as far as replacing it. Locking tuners are also an option, but I'm skeptical as to whether they really help with tuning stability.

Pic of the final bridge/Bigsby setup. I also threw on a Vibramate string spoiler because getting the ball ends of the strings on the Bigsby posts is more of a pain than I like to deal with.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I have heard but can’t confirm that a lot of the problem is caused by the trem not rotating freely. If you unstring the guitar, the trem arm should flop around wildly. If it doesn’t, there’s friction between the arm and the body of the trem, and that’s what is stopping it from returning to tune.

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

Siivola posted:

I have heard but can’t confirm that a lot of the problem is caused by the trem not rotating freely. If you unstring the guitar, the trem arm should flop around wildly. If it doesn’t, there’s friction between the arm and the body of the trem, and that’s what is stopping it from returning to tune.

I've read that too, but both of mine are floppy enough when unstrung that it's kind of annoying to deal with. I wonder if that's something that gets worse over time as dirt and other crud gets into the bushings holding the rollers to the Bigsby mount.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
bought a backup guitar cable and realized that i can now run out of my GT-1 to a pair of amps in stereo. i'm aware of chorus and delay, but are there any other effects that are commonly used in stereo?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Flange, but I think that's because flange basically is chorus.

edit: some harmonic/pitch shifting pedals like the POG can run multiple outs as well.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

beer gas canister posted:

bought a backup guitar cable and realized that i can now run out of my GT-1 to a pair of amps in stereo. i'm aware of chorus and delay, but are there any other effects that are commonly used in stereo?

Reverb! Pull an EVH and have the clean signal on one side, and just wet reverb on the other.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Them rotary sims

You could also do a wet/dry mix for anything you like

also running one amp dirty and one clean to get that distortion + bright attack and articulation

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I wanted to get a tortoiseshell pickguard from a company I saw online that makes the coolest ones. Their quoted prices are a bit out of my range:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is it Asher? Dude makes some kinda cool stuff even if it isn't my aesthetic, like mammoth ivory and amber switch tips.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Baron von Eevl posted:

Is it Asher? Dude makes some kinda cool stuff even if it isn't my aesthetic, like mammoth ivory and amber switch tips.

Spitfire Tort

https://spitfiretortoiseshellpickguards.wordpress.com/pictures-and-styles/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like these pizza pickguards they make

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm going to break down and get an inexpensive parlor. I sat down with a Jim Dandy for a couple of hours and was pretty unimpressed with it, but now that I sit and think I wonder how much of that was the 12-53s on it. I wonder if 10-47s might suit at 12-fretter better.

At any rate, even as a downstairs beater I think I can make myself happier than the Jim Dandy, which had a finish that felt in my lap too much like an upscaled plastic uke.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I wanted to get a tortoiseshell pickguard from a company I saw online that makes the coolest ones. Their quoted prices are a bit out of my range:

the gently caress are they made from actual endangered tortoises

e: think i solved the mystery of why this dude's charging 3 hundred for a scratched up 75 cent sheet of plastic

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 23, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I knew a guy who had a vinyl cutter for making signage and he was able to use it to make custom pickguards. He was making good money selling them on eBay but this was almost 20 years ago. I assumed that market had dried up but maybe not!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

These are still hilariously overpriced but they're still a lot cheaper plus you get a pickguard made by the son of the witch from Bewitched!

https://asher-guitars-lap-steels-store.myshopify.com/collections/custom-pickguards

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

The Muppets On PCP posted:

the gently caress are they made from actual endangered tortoises

e: think i solved the mystery of why this dude's charging 3 hundred for a scratched up 75 cent sheet of plastic

They're individual custom pieces and they're made from some material that replicates the look of vintage celluloid nitrate but doesn't blow up if you drop a fag on it, or warp if you leave it in the case too near a radiator for too long. They're ridiculously expensive (too much for me even though I love the look of them) but most custom poo poo that can't be made to a mass template is and even standard material guards for guitars that require more than a basic strat/tele/LP template can start running up the price pretty quickly - as I've unfortunately found out in the past.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

darkwasthenight posted:

They're ridiculously expensive (too much for me even though I love the look of them) but most custom poo poo that can't be made to a mass template is

Does it really count as custom when it says “These are precision made to original factory specifications “? Aren’t all standard pickguards made to the same specifications?

They do look nice but I can’t help feeling like this is the kind of dentist grifting I’d love to get in on

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Yes, because the Spitfire guy is using a material that isn't really made anymore. He makes the pickguard material himself using the same processes used in the 60's, with all the benefits and negatives that comes with. Almost no one uses those processes anymore, and the ones who do don't make it in sheets large enough for a guard so he's literally the only game in town. He posted his research and process over on the offset guitar forum a while back and its an really interesting read.

Edit: All that being said, I still think he let it get to his head some and is charging a little too much. Some competition would probably help drive prices down.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 24, 2020

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol that the first search result for spitfire pickguard on the offset guitar forum is someone getting ripped off by that guy

e: the spitfire dude responded further down in that thread and yep sure enough it's textbook overly flowery and dramatic evangelical scam artist bs

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83869

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

Sean was very clearly shown my policies and after fully agreeing to them, he has in the end, fought me, slandered me in every way you could imagine, and has called me a thief when I have not been unfair or devious in any way to him. He is free to do so and I respect his freedom, but greatly disagree with it and feel this has gone beyond rational and professional.

the drama! you'd think people who just kill tortoises all day would be a bit more understanding

well why not fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 24, 2020

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lol that the first search result for spitfire pickguard on the offset guitar forum is someone getting ripped off by that guy

e: the spitfire dude responded further down in that thread and yep sure enough it's textbook overly flowery and dramatic evangelical scam artist bs

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83869
You could tell me that half the posters in that thread are Spitfire parachute accounts and I'd believe you. Dude paid upfront and Spitfire listed it for sale on Facebook for full price before he even asked for his money back, open and shut case right there.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Gripper posted:

You could tell me that half the posters in that thread are Spitfire parachute accounts and I'd believe you. Dude paid upfront and Spitfire listed it for sale on Facebook for full price before he even asked for his money back, open and shut case right there.

my favorite was the guy demanding the mods kill the thread because he said something negative about a product or company

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
kinda bummed the guy never escalated the paypal dispute to a small claims court so we could have a tort tort

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Let's compare Fender Reds.
First is beautiful, totally rad and slick Fiesta Red!!! Beautiful.

Now let's look at ugly, children's toy looking gross Candy Apple red :(

Why on god's grey earth would Fender put out so many disgusting Candy Apple Red guitars but the clearly superior Fiesta Red is so much more hard to find?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

There’s Race Red, too. Where does that rank?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

good jovi posted:

There’s Race Red, too. Where does that rank?

S TIER: Fiesta Red
A TIER: Dakota Red
C TIER: Race Red
TIN FOIL TIER: Candy Apple Red (it stinks)

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

It's funny, I was just reading a book that talked about Fender's paint colors. Historically, Fender only produced guitars in sunburst or blonde, every other color until the late seventies (I think) was a custom color and had to be special ordered. You got a choice of any GM car color of the time for only a 5% surcharge. That's so wild to me now; could you imagine walking into the store and paying $50 (when adjusted for inflation) for a custom color? Fiesta Red was an incredibly unstable color because the pigments used in it were prone to color shifting before and after they got mixed into the paint which means that even in the same year the color would look different from guitar to guitar. It also was prone to color shifting even after it got painted, so a lot of the "Salmon Pink" guitars from the 60's are actually Fiesta Red that faded. Candy Apple Red was much easier because you shot a base coat of gold, then a color coat of a translucent red. Much easier to control and mix because you were essentially using dyes at that point. Fascinating stuff.

It looks like modern Fender is starting to shift away from Candy Apple Red to Fiesta Red though, as most of the reds in the Vintera line are Fiesta.

But anyway, who cares about all that. I wish they'd reissue Dakota Red more. It's my favorite of the Fender reds. Such a deep, rich color:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Candy Apple is cool and good imho. The worst colour is Music Man's coral red or whatever is called. I found basically my dream bass, but that stupid colour meant that I couldn't buy it. Be red or be proper pink, not done pastel crap.

Also, matte finishes are awesome and should happen more.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Red dyes / paints tended to be the most toxic (that's why red M&Ms went away for a while...) so it is possible the "cool" reds were discovered to be Not Safe For Humans™ and so they got rid of them, and now they have more non-toxic options available so they can make the good ones again. I have absolutely no idea if this is the case here, but in lots of other areas, reds went away or were changed a great deal for a period due to health hazards.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Red was also hard to get stable, which resulted in a lot of formerly red cars on the roads.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Candy apple just looks kind of corny because it’s used in so many cliche retro products. It just looks so generic now. Fiesta is ok but there’s too much white in it, making it look like old plastic.

More nice deep reds would be great, and if they absolutely have to have sparkle then make it some chunky bass boat flake and match the headstock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Snowy posted:

match the headstock

This. And I'd absolutely pay the 5% or whatever for a custom color. Gimmie that Sherwood Green please