Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
"Helpful" UIs in general annoy me. Better to have a UI that is predictable, even if it's predictably BAD, than a UI where buttons can move while you're loving using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

If you can't trust the person then encourage them to find a new job. It'll be better for everyone involved.

Tomorrow will be interesting
He will naturally ask why I changed the authentication to the backup system

I could be polite and say "we need to troubleshoot this issue"
Or I could be direct and say "I just dont believe you"

I'm thinking the latter

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You sound like an awful boss, tbh

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Coworker is dealing with a user with VPN issues working from home. User complains the network drive keeps dropping out when he wants to transfer a file. Coworker tries to troubleshoot the connection asks what his home connection is (Fibre, VDSL or ADSL) user rants back about how Netflix works just fine and for us to fix the issue with the server as there is nothing wrong with his connection.
It gets escalated by user to his boss. We get back on the machine to troubleshoot and run a speedtest it shows he has a latency of over 300ms (ADSL around here should be around 50-100ms on a bad day) download around 4mbps and upload 0.85mbps. Further investigation shows he is getting packet queueing on his home network with his work laptop at times getting 0 traffic during a performance test.
He is now saying if the company expects him to work a certain way the company should provide the tools to do so. Which is fair enough but he didn’t need to give us a serving of attitude since we don’t control either his home internet or if his department will pay to upgrade it. We told him and his boss our findings and left it at that.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
We don’t get a lot of attitude and the helpdesk guys do their best to make sure users have good desktops to work from when remote, but generally the department managers remind their users that WFH is a privilege and if their issues are that bad they are always free to come into the office and work.

We’ve been like 95% WFH since the lockdowns started in our state with only a handful of users in the office for things that require in person (printing lol) and our helpdesk rotates who is in the office to be available.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

We don’t get a lot of attitude and the helpdesk guys do their best to make sure users have good desktops to work from when remote, but generally the department managers remind their users that WFH is a privilege and if their issues are that bad they are always free to come into the office and work.

We’ve been like 95% WFH since the lockdowns started in our state with only a handful of users in the office for things that require in person (printing lol) and our helpdesk rotates who is in the office to be available.

WFH isn't a privileged if the work can be reasonably done while while working from home during a pandemic. Its the unquestionably the only responsible and right thing to do. I want to stomp people's heads into the loving mud every time they utter this phrase right now. I get that it wasn't your intention when you typed that out but it triggers me pretty hard right now.

A director of network services sent out an email to about 2k people with this idiotic loving phrase and I nuked it for all the recipients as soon as I saw it. I sent it all the up the chain as "risk" considering that it communicated a completely false impression that people need to come into the office to do anything.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

capitalcomma posted:

"Helpful" UIs in general annoy me. Better to have a UI that is predictable, even if it's predictably BAD, than a UI where buttons can move while you're loving using it.

Cursor "snap to" is literally the worst loving thing on the face of the planet.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sickening posted:

WFH isn't a privileged if the work can be reasonably done while while working from home during a pandemic. Its the unquestionably the only responsible and right thing to do. I want to stomp people's heads into the loving mud every time they utter this phrase right now. I get that it wasn't your intention when you typed that out but it triggers me pretty hard right now.

A director of network services sent out an email to about 2k people with this idiotic loving phrase and I nuked it for all the recipients as soon as I saw it. I sent it all the up the chain as "risk" considering that it communicated a completely false impression that people need to come into the office to do anything.

A million percent this. Require butts in seats in a normal year? Sure, fine, it's loving stupid to treat people as children (you either don't trust your people or you hired the wrong people), but if you want that and it's clearly communicated, fine great that's what it is. But THIS year? With a pandemic, and right now in CA, air quality that ranges from "smells like a campfire" to "You took two breaths? Enjoy your cancer!", suggesting that WFH is not the only appropriate and right thing to do (for those jobs that can be done remotely, obviously) is bordering on criminal negligence.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Cursor "snap to" is literally the worst loving thing on the face of the planet.

Remember when Microsoft decided to rearrange menus based on which functions you used more often ? That was great, "let's active work against learning by repetition !"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Humans gotta wake the gently caress up and change their definition of normal. WFH needs to become the standard from 2020 on even if we do solve this plague because of the benefit we can get not burning oil five days a week just to sit at a desk.

Fortunately a growing number of companies seem to be moving that way anyways, not out of concern for people or the planet but because of the money it saves them. Wrong reasons but I'll take it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

WFH is going to start losing favor and quality and output go down in certain fields.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

quality and output go down in certain fields.

so the gently caress what

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

WFH is going to start losing favor and quality and output go down in certain fields.

Actually the embarrassing fact coming out of studies has been that productivity has actually increased.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

What fields, humor me.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

This has been the opposite in every industry that has done this so far.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Super Soaker Party! posted:

is bordering on criminal negligence.

Like that's ever stopped most corporations. :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

Yeah, no. Read some more recent research, bud.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I interviewed with a company last week and the interviewer said to expect WFH most of the time even after the pandemic ends (if it ends).

One business that is going to be negatively affected is urban real estate. If WFH becomes the new normal there's going to be a huge excess of office spaces, and long term we might see a de-urbanisation as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Collateral Damage posted:

I interviewed with a company last week and the interviewer said to expect WFH most of the time even after the pandemic ends (if it ends).

One business that is going to be negatively affected is urban real estate. If WFH becomes the new normal there's going to be a huge excess of office spaces, and long term we might see a de-urbanisation as well.

I'd honestly call classic office culture dead at this point, because if/when COVID is sorted out months from now you're gonna have a loooooot of people who are used to working from home and don't want to go back across all levels of every company.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Apparently lots of kids are dreading going back to school too, and report being less stressed during lockdown. Turns out being crammed into a building with a bunch of strangers and being forced to do things on a schedule tends to make people miserable and stressed. But go read some HN comments if you want to get depressed at how little managers and CEOs care about that.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

But go read some HN comments if you want to get depressed at how little managers and CEOs care about that.

My hope is that the money-grabbing CEOs, who only care about this quarter's figures, take a look at the costs of WFH rather than office and decide that WFH is the way forward for better shareholder-value (i.e. their bonuses).

Few will move to WFH if it just makes the life more pleasant of their mere underlings....but if they get to buy a bigger boat this year, then we may get lucky.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
On the plus side, my employer is moving to supporting employee-elected WFH on a full-time basis (software development, really little excuse not to) after the pandemic. It’s enabling me to move a bit further away and actually afford to buy a home.

On the minus side, they seem to be disconcertingly content to try to return to “business as usual” for those who will elect to return to the office after the pandemic, and have few answers for how they’ll address the health and safety issues endemic to an open office that COVID-19 has laid bare.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
My company has really jumped the gun opening back up when they did, in my opinion, and they're twisting themselves into pretzels with all the rules and safety measures they came up with and now need to enforce for people going back in. All for a voluntary return to work that all of a half dozen people have actually opted in to (about 10% of the local office). One wonders why they bothered - my guess is that at least one executive can't stand to be around their spouse.

Personally I like having the option to go in. It's more socially stimulating and it's a work-only space separate from my recreational space, which is not really feasible if all I have to work with is my current apartment. But I'm not going to take that option while it's such a needless risk. As for what happens after everything is safe again (I have to assume we'll get back to that or I'll go insane), they haven't said anything publicly, but I expect more people will be working from home more and the only people who have a problem with it will get phased out. They won't have a leg to stand on beyond "because I said so" and in my industry that's not something the individual contributors have to put up with if they don't want to, at least under normal circumstances.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My company is actually listening it's employees when it comes to the new WFH way of life at least for the corporate teams.

Team,

Based on your feedback from the recent *companyname* workspace survey, we have learned that working remotely has not only been successful but is the preferred way of working for many of you! With this feedback, the decision has been made to consolidate the *secondary campus* and *main campus* workspaces into one location and transition our *companyname* teams to more flexible working models that would enable us to fully utilize a smaller footprint. Given we are leasing the *secondary campus*, the *main campus* will become our future *companyname* Hub and have “bookable” spaces to support collaborating, team building, planning, testing, activations, dedicated working and temporary working. It will also house the *companyname* technology labs that are currently on the *secondary campus*.

While the *main campus* remains closed through the end of the year, we will take this time to reimagine how we utilize the space in the future, as well as put the necessary systems in place to ensure our team members have a modern, mobile-first experience when booking space.

So, giving up lease on secondary campus(saving an incredible amount of money), keeping WFH for everyone for the foreseeable future, and turning the main campus into a completely new type of "mobile" campus.

Suddenly my move from a corporate team to a local hospital team kinda sucks :( 5 years ago this move was a god send, 5 minute drive to work, laid back work environment, flexible schedule, more money. Ah well, can't be too mad.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sickening posted:

What fields, humor me.

Ones that require working together in person

Doing things in labs and stuff that can’t be done at home

Not everyone has a desk job

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

For example?

Bob Morales posted:

"People are not able to do things from home when they can't be done from home" is not exactly an insight. When we're talking about "classic office culture" I assume we're discussing, you know, desk jobs.

I'm not as optimistic about that culture going away any time soon.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I can't stand working from home. I'm less productive, less efficient, and my stress level is higher. My work from home setup is less efficient and less ergonomic and that's only going to get worse as some needed equipment upgrades come in. It's also way easier and way way quicker to do parts of my job when I can have the client come give me direct feedback while I show them changes or go over color grade options with them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Not everyone has a desk job

Jfc bob, I feel like coming back to me with “jobs that can’t be done from home” was pretty dumb there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

Jfc bob, I feel like coming back to me with “jobs that can’t be done from home” was pretty dumb there.

You guys sound pretty dumb in denial that any job can be done better from home or that every employee is better off wfh

And some people are overly paranoid about companies “forcing people” to go back to work. A lot of industries never went home and everyone didn’t die , believe it or not.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

You sound like an awful boss, tbh

if the member of staff didn't have a repeated history of lying I'd probably be nicer

edit: I should probably say, I'm really just blowing off steam here away from my colleague...I didn't say anything of the sort to the user after going through the new stuff. I said I don't care if the tapes get erased to make them work so feel free, but ideally they should just work so feel free to work on that.

He decided not to say 'but honestly I did' and therefore I didn't need to address the logs look significantly different from that assertion.

angry armadillo fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 24, 2020

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Bob Morales posted:

You guys sound pretty dumb in denial that any job can be done better from home or that every employee is better off wfh

And some people are overly paranoid about companies “forcing people” to go back to work. A lot of industries never went home and everyone didn’t die , believe it or not.

You're not wrong on the fact that not everybody would want to go full remote but this post is dumb on many other levels.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

You are sounding dangerously like the people that tries to justify having a local exchange/sharepoint farm in 2020 rather than just paying for office365. If your white collar workflows doesn't work in a WFH setting it's not because WFH is wrong but because the workflows are designed in a way that requires physical user interaction(and should be updated from the 70's to a more modern way).

And your point about firms forcing people to work being fine -> just check all those mass contamination events in meat packing plants across the world. The more people you put in a building, the more higher the contagion risk becomes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bob Morales posted:

Yeah, but some people have. There really aren't a ton of jobs out there worth dying over. Wow this is a terrible post.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Moo the cow posted:

My hope is that the money-grabbing CEOs, who only care about this quarter's figures, take a look at the costs of WFH rather than office and decide that WFH is the way forward for better shareholder-value (i.e. their bonuses).

Few will move to WFH if it just makes the life more pleasant of their mere underlings....but if they get to buy a bigger boat this year, then we may get lucky.

Yeah I'm real curious to see how this ends up shaking out. Leases for a few of our sites expire this year, and pre-COVID the talk was that we were going to try and combine those into a bigger office. I haven't heard a peep about any of that since COVID. Before the outbreak, the cost of a bigger office would have been extremely expensive. I'm not sure if we're ultimately going to end up continuing to work from home, or if the execs will use covid as leverage to haggle for "cheap" office space and try to continue with that plan at some point. I know they greatly prefer in person interactions and were not fans of WFH when this all started, but things have been going quite well for us. The type of work most of our people do is 100% doable completely from home, and shedding those leasing costs has got to be really appealing.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Gunjin posted:

I can't stand working from home. I'm less productive, less efficient, and my stress level is higher. My work from home setup is less efficient and less ergonomic and that's only going to get worse as some needed equipment upgrades come in. It's also way easier and way way quicker to do parts of my job when I can have the client come give me direct feedback while I show them changes or go over color grade options with them.

Same here..

I did WFH for about 5 weeks. I absolutely hated every minute of it.

In addition our company doesn't really have a WFH culture... it can't really. 95% of our employees work in a retail store environment. Some corp. office staff are the only ones that can work from home, and those staff only make up 5% of total employees.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

You posted

Bob Morales posted:

Anybody with reading comprehension is not going to assume you were referring to people whose jobs can't be done from home. Because in the case of those people, their work quality and output wouldn't go down, it would stop. You are the one taking this in a dumb direction and I am baffled why?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The industries that didn't shut down owe their low infections to the industries that did shut down. If this poo poo had gone uncontrolled since introduction we would all know someone who had been killed by it because it's so effective at spreading.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

You posted

Anybody with reading comprehension is not going to assume you were referring to people whose jobs can't be done from home. Because in the case of those people, their work quality and output wouldn't go down, it would stop. You are the one taking this in a dumb direction and I am baffled why?
I’m not talking about just jobs that can’t be done from home that’s silly.

You guys just think every job that CAN be done from home can be done BETTER from home.

I believe that a non-trivial amount of employers, and employees, will want to be back in a traditional environment and will see things improve.

Not everyone of course, there are a lot of jobs that can be done basically the same at home.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Bob Morales posted:

You guys just think every job that CAN be done from home can be done BETTER from home.

I believe that a non-trivial amount of employers, and employees, will want to be back in a traditional environment and will see things improve.

Who gives a poo poo honestly, I’m not the boss so I don’t care whether I work more/better from home or whether productivity improves. It’s fine if some people feel stressed over their lower efficiency/focus and want to go in for that (though I would argue their real problem is that they feel stressed about it - people worried about their performance are probably already over-performing), but you sound like you’re berating people for not wanting to min-max their life towards work effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

I’m not talking about just jobs that can’t be done from home that’s silly.

You were actually, I just loving quoted your post. Bob, get it together.