Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

It's Rodmus' muttering and pathetic mumbling while being lectured by Optimus that always gets me.

I don't even have a mouth, you dumb poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Coolguye posted:

Masters of the Universe was always about being gay just as much as Scooby Doo was always about being high. This is known. Prince Adam has a secret side to himself that fights a literal skeleton from a dark corner of his reality. It’s about a subtle as a sledgehammer.

I've been living the gay experience all wrong, where are my skeleton fights??

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How Wonderful! posted:

I've been living the gay experience all wrong, where are my skeleton fights??

The skeleton was inside you the whole time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Saoshyant posted:

I miss James Roberts Transformers so drat much, so drat much...

I never knew Transformers loved wet-rear end pussy so much.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

They canonically exist
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Lug_(IDW)
https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Anode

Posting this cause I haven't seen it in forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1_6D9QS9Y

"And that's who you'll be from now on Kup, Shitpiece."

God I had forgotten this video and the minute Master Blaster started talking waves of memories came flooding back.

anyway, Justice League 51:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

So we're all gay now? I can get down with that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

TwoPair posted:

Of all the people in that spaceship to rag on someone else's bad guys. Flash would be like "oh right, and who are your villains? You but yellow. You but red. You but--"
"We get it."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Of all the people in that spaceship to rag on someone else's bad guys. Flash would be like "oh right, and who are your villains? You but yellow. You but red. You but--"
"We get it."

Doesn't Flash have two different villains that are just him but yellow?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

Lots of heroes have evil mirror versions of themselves, sure. Green Lanterns have whole other armies of colour-switched mirror versions.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Skwirl posted:

Flash has what is essentially an entire gallery of rogues who are just him in a different outfit with like 15 of them floating around who are clones, alternate future evil versions or just evil relatives.

Speedsters in DC also specifically have their own personification of Death, Black Flash, who is the Flash in a black costume because they can outrun regular Death.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zore posted:

Flash has what is essentially an entire gallery of rogues who are just him in a different outfit with like 15 of them floating around who are clones, alternate future evil versions or just evil relatives.

Speedsters in DC also specifically have their own personification of Death, Black Flash, who is the Flash in a black costume because they can outrun regular Death.

Is The Black Racer faster or slower than Black Flash.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Both

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

Depends on if there is snow on the ground.

You may outrun him, but he can only be thwarted for a time.

New Gods #8

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I never knew Transformers loved wet-rear end pussy so much.

These are a group of Decepticons bumming around the galaxy after the war ends, and their ship is called the Weak Anthropic Principle

(I never quite figured out why it's called that when they aren't exactly, uh, anthropes)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Zore posted:

no, no, wrong

Black Flash is a skeleton in a black Flash costume

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #1 (1941)

Chamber of Chills #16 (1953)

From Beyond the Unknown #10 (1971)

What If? #27 (1981)

Bill & Ted's Excellent Comic Book #10 (1992)

Slingers #1 (1998)

Slapstick #1 (2017)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Darthemed posted:

Slapstick #1 (2017)

Glad to see he's got his humor back after trying to brutally murder a teacher.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

TwoPair posted:

Could we be any more the Justice League?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
In this month's episode of the gritty ocean cop drama, Hard-Boiled Cop And Dolphin: A humble fisherman has saved a mystical sea turtle, and an emissary of the sea comes to invite him to visit her land. ( read right-to-left )

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Cable #3: look you don't really need any context here, I'm just posting this because I find the last two panels funny.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Squidster posted:

In this month's episode of the gritty ocean cop drama, Hard-Boiled Cop And Dolphin: A humble fisherman has saved a mystical sea turtle, and an emissary of the sea comes to invite him to visit her land. ( read right-to-left )
Ooh, I actually know the Japanese folk tale this is referencing:

Wikipedia posted:

Urashima Tarō (浦島 太郎) is the protagonist of a Japanese fairy tale (otogi banashi), who in a typical modern version is a fisherman rewarded for rescuing a turtle, and carried on its back to the Dragon Palace (Ryūgū-jō) beneath the sea. There he is entertained by the princess Otohime as a reward. He spends what he believes to be several days with the princess, but when he returns to his home village, he discovers he has been gone for at least 100 years. When he opens the forbidden jewelled box (tamatebako), given to him by Otohime on his departure, he turns into an old man.

Content:

From "A-Zone," a Sailor Moon doujinshi by Yotsuba&! creator Kiyohiko Azuma:

In which the girls discover Rei working on her own doujinshi:

And later, after Usagi has busted out some sake and everyone's transformed to enhance their drawing ability (spoiler: it doesn't work):

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm pretty Tuxedo Mask would be adored by the masses if he made it his duty to prevent people from spilling things.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: nm

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Keromaru5 posted:

Ooh, I actually know the Japanese folk tale this is referencing:

I have always found the story of Urashima Tarō fascinating, even since I heard Slowbeef talk about it when doing Policenauts.
Especially since it’s the same as an Irish folk story of Tir Na Og. Only as far as I can tell, the Irish story originated halfway across the world from the Japanese story around 1,000 years ago.

It’s an unsolved mystery, but points to either a global network of ideas operating across space and time.

Or it’s evidence of an older myth from a shared culture, long forgotten to history but that survived in fragmented forms.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Lurdiak posted:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Question IRL posted:

I have always found the story of Urashima Tarō fascinating, even since I heard Slowbeef talk about it when doing Policenauts.
Especially since it’s the same as an Irish folk story of Tir Na Og. Only as far as I can tell, the Irish story originated halfway across the world from the Japanese story around 1,000 years ago.

It’s an unsolved mystery, but points to either a global network of ideas operating across space and time.

Or it’s evidence of an older myth from a shared culture, long forgotten to history but that survived in fragmented forms.
Sort of like the similarities between Orpheus and Eurydice and Izanagi and Izanami. Heck, I just found out earlier tonight that the "theft of fire," like in the Prometheus myth, is also a recurring motif around the world.

Content, from A-Zone 2:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Keromaru5 posted:

Sort of like the similarities between Orpheus and Eurydice and Izanagi and Izanami. Heck, I just found out earlier tonight that the "theft of fire," like in the Prometheus myth, is also a recurring motif around the world.

Content, from A-Zone 2:

Back when I did my University Degree in classics our lecturer would give us similar examples.
One that would stand out was one of men putting on animal (and in particular wolf) skins and becoming animal like. The precursor to the Werewolf myth.
It happened in ancient Greece, but also examples of it come from Native American myths.

And then you have vampires everywhere.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Question IRL posted:

Back when I did my University Degree in classics our lecturer would give us similar examples.
One that would stand out was one of men putting on animal (and in particular wolf) skins and becoming animal like. The precursor to the Werewolf myth.
It happened in ancient Greece, but also examples of it come from Native American myths.

That sounds like a story that is bound to be told as soon as you have animal skins laying around and some wacky uncle who likes to play with the kids.

"Rarr, I'm a wolf and I'm gonna getcha!"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Darthemed posted:

Chamber of Chills #16 (1953)

Joe Exotic's personal afterlife torture.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Question IRL posted:

Or the weirdly specific "Faithful Hound" archetype, which exists as both a traditional Indian story (where it's a mongoose instead of a dog) and was popular enough in Europe to get a dog sainted: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Guinefort

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kennel posted:

That sounds like a story that is bound to be told as soon as you have animal skins laying around and some wacky uncle who likes to play with the kids.

"Rarr, I'm a wolf and I'm gonna getcha!"
There's telling a story around a campfire and then there's russian roulette ritual cannibalism where the losing kid has to wear a wolf skin and live in the forest for nine years.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

The Question IRL posted:

The story of Oisin and Niamh. Essentially Oisin gets invited to Tir Na n'Og by her, marries her there and becomes king. After what seems to be 3 years to him (but is actually 300 years) he misses his friends and wants to go back to visit them. Niamh warns him not to step foot on the soil again or he'll never be able to return. When he gets there the strap holding his horse's saddle breaks and he falls to the ground, aging 300 years instantly. The good news is the horse is okay.

My favourite part is in some versions as he lays dying St Patrick comes to convert him and send his immortal soul to Heaven. Oisin asks him will Finn and Diarmuid and the rest of the Fianna be there, and Patrick tells him no, that was 300 years ago and they were never baptized. So Oisin turns him down, because he wants to go wherever his friends have gone, and just asks to be buried facing the rising sun.

So many Irish stories are tragedies it's actually impressive we survived long enough for the British to kill us.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Mashle: the villain reveals an auspicious magic eye

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

The Question IRL posted:

Was your lecturer Blade?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

How Wonderful! posted:

Was your lecturer Blade?

Let me put it this way. His nickname was the Claw.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

How Wonderful! posted:

Was your lecturer Blade?

That's Professor Eric Brooks to you :colbert: (I did not know Blade's real name was Eric until today)

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

I miss James Roberts Transformers so drat much, so drat much...

The Autobots make Megatron go to therapy:

MTMTE #28

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Psychiatrist Bot is speaking with Jim Rash's voice in my mind. Is that good?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Red Bones posted:

That's Professor Eric Brooks to you :colbert: (I did not know Blade's real name was Eric until today)

He's also British, which for some reason doesn't get much play when he shows up in cartoons and such.

Nilbop posted:

Psychiatrist Bot is speaking with Jim Rash's voice in my mind. Is that good?

IIRC that guy had a weird thing going on where nobody knew what he transformed into which caused problems in pre-war Cybertron because that was how their class system worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC that guy had a weird thing going on where nobody knew what he transformed into which caused problems in pre-war Cybertron because that was how their class system worked.

Yes, your place in society was determined by what you turned into, so when they didn't know what Rung turned into they cheated:

And they spelled his name (w)Rong.

MTMTE #22

Eventually you do find out what he turns into (and even why his name is misspelled). Don't look him up in the wiki if you don't want to be spoiled.