Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Today I:
-Rode 100k for the first time in a while
-Accidentally set a new 60s power record 5km into the ride (350->402)
-Did this to drop a guy on a hill who I had already passed but was so desperate to pass me again that he rolled through a red light and traffic had to avoid him
-Checked off about 8 or 9 new veloviewer tiles and now I’m at 14x14 square
-Died a thousand deaths in a headwind section on the way home

All in all a good day out.

Awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
I added about a dozen veloviewer tiles on today's ride, mostly on lovely industrial roads with few redeeming features. Not sure if veloviewer encouraging me to try new roads is a good thing in this case, but in general it's fun to add squares and plan routes where that is your only real goal in an otherwise easy zone 1/2 day.

Yesterday's ride was an rear end kicker, 105mi/4200' solo, held a 20mph average and 260w normalized. It was also an average of 95 the last 2 hours, the last 15mi of which was red light city, no bike lane type of riding. I could have easily drank another 2 bottles if I had them. I am about to swear off non insulated bottles for longer rides, it sucks having your ice bottles be melted 20 minutes into your ride and the second bottle be hot before you even drink it. For rides around an hour it's fine but anything longer sucks.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

uvar posted:

...Assuming I'm not too overweight to be comfortable on one with some semblance of aerodynamics, that is.

Also, apparently my car is just garbage for bike transport? Sedan, no roof rack mounts, no trailer hitch, OEM spoiler on the boot. But that's a problem for the future.

What car?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

Might be doing some track racing this weekend. Flying 200, kilo, and individual pursuit.

I've never raced any of these events, or any event on a velodrome actually! Is 50x15 going to be decent enough gearing or should I find a heavier cog?

How'd it go?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I went for a ride with the new shoe. Overall it's better thankfully but still needs some adjustments. I attached a picture of my cleat positioning on the right shoe, which is all the way back, facing forward and centered as much as I can.

First 20-30 minute left foot felt fine, right foot felt some pin pricks in the big toe (my right foot is 1/2 inch longer than the left). I stopped and loosened the right one a bit which helped. After maybe 45 min though I started getting these little pin prick feelings in different spots on the bottom of both feet, and soon after the toes on both feet numbed up. I never had any numbness going up the leg though.

Should I try moving both cleats up a few mm next time? Do people with different length feet tend to have their cleats in different positions to adjust?

on a side note, trying to walk in these makes me wonder how women walk in high heels. it's so weird, and I know there are MUCH stiffer shoes out there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

You're kind of a moron.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

SPD cleats on road shoes are the worst thing ever. With SPD-SLs you can at least walk on them like high-heels without the heel. The first and only time I had to do some walking with that setup I went barefoot down the street to MEC and got a cheap pair of mountain bike shoes.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Every step you take, watching flooring break. And then slipping and dying.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

You're kind of a moron.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Every step you take, watching flooring break. And then slipping and dying.

wow cool man great posts

I'm okay with slipping and dying because that would mean escaping this hellworld, but maybe in the meantime post something related to what I'm asking about otherwise just gently caress off

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 24, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

actionjackson posted:

First 20-30 minute left foot felt fine, right foot felt some pin pricks in the big toe (my right foot is 1/2 inch longer than the left). I stopped and loosened the right one a bit which helped. After maybe 45 min though I started getting these little pin prick feelings in different spots on the bottom of both feet, and soon after the toes on both feet numbed up.

Did you loosen more? How far in the adjustment range were you?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Did you loosen more? How far in the adjustment range were you?

no, I only biked for like an hour so I just dealt with it for another 15 minutes. I'm not sure how to quantify how loose they are, you mean how far did I have the BOA dial turned? I'll have them a bit looser next time and also make note of that - thanks. Sounds like you're thinking find the best looseness first before going on to other adjustments?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I'm not sure how to quantify how loose they are, you mean how far did I have the BOA dial turned? I'll have them a bit looser next time and also make note of that - thanks.

Tingling still seems like it's tight. Did you run these with the stock insoles, or the ones you bought?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Tingling still seems like it's tight. Did you run these with the stock insoles, or the ones you bought?

I returned the insoles, I figured a new shoe was going to be 46w or 47 - didn't think ahead. So these were with stock. I'm certainly open to that again but want to try other stuff first - I think the loosening idea sounds good.

Can I ask what kind of issues would result from having a cleat too far forward or back? Is it not tingling but some other sensations? or is cleat movement more of a fine grain adjustment that you do later.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 24, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Can I ask what kind of issues would result from having a cleat too far forward or back? Is it not tingling but some other sensations? or is cleat movement more of a fine grain adjustment that you do later.

Muscle pain for changes to your pedaling technique. The cleat position changes the available leverage your foot exerts through your ankle. Tingling comes from losing blood flow, so it's unlikely you could sustain that kind of squeeze from a change in pedaling.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Ropes4u posted:

What car?

Older Honda Civic. There are definitely mounts that fit (or proper roof racks), it's just extra money and hassle because they're not sold nearby. Whoever suggested just putting it in the back seat I am optimistic about, though my current bike doesn't have the quick-release things.

Quick skim over the OP again to see if I can think of any questions to turn this into a more contentful post but nope, apart from "I guess I should sign up for Strava and see what all the fuss is about".

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

uvar posted:

Whoever suggested just putting it in the back seat I am optimistic about, though my current bike doesn't have the quick-release things.

Take a moment to investigate the front axle— if it’s not QR, it will likely be a hex bolt that you can just bring a wrench for. Sometimes a hex bit head. Worst luck would be if you had a security bolt.

And also familiarize if you need to do anything to release your brake around the wheel, if you end up with rim brakes.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

uvar posted:

Older Honda Civic. There are definitely mounts that fit (or proper roof racks), it's just extra money and hassle because they're not sold nearby. Whoever suggested just putting it in the back seat I am optimistic about, though my current bike doesn't have the quick-release things.

Quick skim over the OP again to see if I can think of any questions to turn this into a more contentful post but nope, apart from "I guess I should sign up for Strava and see what all the fuss is about".

When I started out I picked up a used saris bones. It was super cheap and worked well enough until we bought a different car / rack.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

most of the mounts/bars are standard, just go to ebay for the adapters and buy everything used. I've done this for all manner of garbage sedans over the years and its worth it if you're planning to have it for more than a year. Failing that, a tow hitch is easy to install (or cheap to have done) and lets you use those racks.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

New retail prices for rack parts is bananas. The used market is abundant and much cheaper, but can be annoying to make sure everything is compatible. So much of that stuff is just sitting barely used in people’s garages, they almost pay you to take it away.

But I bought the new retail equivalent of an $800-1000 roof base bars and pair of bike racks for under $300. I used to Tetris in two bikes to the rear of my car and got sick of it. The rack is a huge improvement and I should have done it sooner.

It does suck a little bit if your car doesn’t have fixed point mounts (like your Civic, most likely), but there are solutions like those door jamb towers if you don’t mind risking a little paint wear on your car.

Personally I really don’t like the clips-and-straps universal trunk racks, but people do use them mostly successfully. They are the cheapest option but for a reason.

The hitch mount carriers are super sweet but pricey, especially the ones that fold away so you can still get into your trunk/hatch without taking everything off. But for tall SUVs they make more sense than a roof rack.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 24, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
:siren::siren::siren::siren: TOMORROW IS THE DAY :siren::siren::siren::siren:

If you have submitted an order and haven't gotten an email from me, please let me know.

If you have submitted an order and haven't paid yet, I will be accounting for that tomorrow and will not place your order (I believe everyone has paid, but I haven't run the numbers yet)

This was a lot more popular than I had anticipated so no extensions on time or anything beyond 0000z tomorrow, I already have enough work ahead of me to get everything in order.

e.pilot posted:

Bad News: :saddowns:
Racmmer communication sucks, at the rate it was going of one message a day this wasn’t going to happen for a long time.

Good News: :downs:
I dug through ali express and found another vendor that has really similar looking jerseys with the nicer arm cuffs and fabric. Their sizing charts are the same as well.

Better News: :haw:
They also have bibs and hats.

Even Betterer News: :madmax:
Orders are open. :w00t:

So here is how this will go down, I have to make one large order and and have it shipped to me, I will then ship out the kits to everyone.
Final cost should be around $35-65 shipped depending on what your order.
I will ship with priority flat rate envelopes, shipping cost will be a bit more if you are outside of the US.

Kit and hat prices are here:
DO NOT ORDER FROM HERE THIS IS SO YOU CAN SEE THE PRICES ONLY
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32492346631.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001110300703.html
DO NOT ORDER FROM HERE THIS IS SO YOU CAN SEE THE PRICES ONLY

Fill out this form for what you’d like to order: :homebrew:
https://forms.gle/VaPigc3e7Sar31FKA
Don’t pay attention to the weights on the sizing chart, they’re hilariously wrong (ex: I am 6’ 84kg and wear a large)
If in doubt, order a size up from your normal US size and accept that it may be more of a club fit

Just fill it out more than once if you want more than one set.
I will contact everyone that orders via email with a total price and my paypal or venmo as orders are submitted via the google form.

:choco:!!!ORDERS CLOSE OUT AND PAYPAL/VENMO MUST BE RECEIVED AT MIDNIGHT ZULU TIME ON THE 25TH!!!:choco:
(afternoon of the 24th for USA time zones).

I will be placing the order with Barton the following morning, so make sure payment is to me before then.

Disclaimer: The images below are just preview images, these are china kits and I assume no responsibility for their printing quality and potential asian sizing quirks, if you have ordered china kits before you should know what you’re getting in to, while they’re good most of the time I cannot guarantee they will be 100% of the time, this is a lot of words to basically say no refunds unless something is grotesquely wrong
If you want to spend 4-5x as much I’d be happy to link you to my jakroo team store (where I made these designs)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ride bikes, ate tacos birras, rode some more, drank beers, got sunburnt, great day

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

actionjackson posted:

I went for a ride with the new shoe. Overall it's better thankfully but still needs some adjustments. I attached a picture of my cleat positioning on the right shoe, which is all the way back, facing forward and centered as much as I can.

First 20-30 minute left foot felt fine, right foot felt some pin pricks in the big toe (my right foot is 1/2 inch longer than the left). I stopped and loosened the right one a bit which helped. After maybe 45 min though I started getting these little pin prick feelings in different spots on the bottom of both feet, and soon after the toes on both feet numbed up. I never had any numbness going up the leg though.

Should I try moving both cleats up a few mm next time? Do people with different length feet tend to have their cleats in different positions to adjust?

on a side note, trying to walk in these makes me wonder how women walk in high heels. it's so weird, and I know there are MUCH stiffer shoes out there.

In a earlier post you said you had leg vein surgery? Could this in any way impact your problem? Also the only use case for your shoes with SPDs like this is for a spin bike, where you walk to the bike bare footed and take them off straight away. Shimano make a converter for 3 bolt to two bolt that at least let’s you walk with out the risk of falling. Also SPDs concentrate all the force of your pedaling into a very small area.
My advice talk to you someone about your surgery, ride with your shoes a little looser, don’t mash the pedals, and if you can afford it buy some road pedals.
Leave your cleats alone, and people with leg length discrepancies usually are recommended to put shims under the cleats.
https://www.bikester.co.uk/shimano-...5BoC6QIQAvD_BwE

mikemelbrooks fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 24, 2020

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

BraveUlysses posted:

ride bikes, ate tacos birras, rode some more, drank beers, got sunburnt, great day

Rode bike, got soaked, ate lemon drizzle cake, drank tea, rode some more, sun came out, The great British summer, it was a good day.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Speaking of hitch racks, does anyone have a favorite? We're getting a hitch put on our car mainly for a rack, our old strap-on version has busted. I'm not sure of the big difference between the rod-hanger kind and the low tray, other than price (yow).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

1Up.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

I like going on weekling camping trips with my bike and can pretty much fit everything in my two rear Vaude panniers. The tent fits between the two panniers on the cargo rack. This naturally makes the bike back heavy. Are there negatives to this? Would I benefit from shifting the center of gravity forward?

It works out OK, but I would like, if possible, to pack my tent in one of the panniers instead as it gets soaked in heavy rains. The tent poles won't fit but I could strap those to the cargo rack. Anyone have experience with this? I guess I would need a water proof stuff sack to put inside the pannier as I would hate packing a wet tent and getting the rest of my things wet. Alternatively, I could perhaps let the pannier get wet but only keep items that I don't mind getting wet there.

Secondly, I'd like a small front pannier/bag to hold my wallet and other small, frequently used items as it can be a pain to access the panniers. Got any ideas? There are a bunch of cheap ones avaliable to Aliexpress that claim to be water proof but I have my doubts. I like to bike hands free so I guess a handlebar bag would make that all but impossible?

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:

Sigmund Fraud posted:

I like going on weekling camping trips with my bike and can pretty much fit everything in my two rear Vaude panniers. The tent fits between the two panniers on the cargo rack. This naturally makes the bike back heavy. Are there negatives to this? Would I benefit from shifting the center of gravity forward?

It works out OK, but I would like, if possible, to pack my tent in one of the panniers instead as it gets soaked in heavy rains. The tent poles won't fit but I could strap those to the cargo rack. Anyone have experience with this? I guess I would need a water proof stuff sack to put inside the pannier as I would hate packing a wet tent and getting the rest of my things wet. Alternatively, I could perhaps let the pannier get wet but only keep items that I don't mind getting wet there.

Secondly, I'd like a small front pannier/bag to hold my wallet and other small, frequently used items as it can be a pain to access the panniers. Got any ideas? There are a bunch of cheap ones avaliable to Aliexpress that claim to be water proof but I have my doubts. I like to bike hands free so I guess a handlebar bag would make that all but impossible?

I don't have any answers for you but you should re-post this in the bike touring thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933885

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

^^^ yeah, this kind of gear is all pretty in the touring wheelhouse.

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Are there negatives to this? Would I benefit from shifting the center of gravity forward?
The main disadvantage is just that -- the worse handling, especially when wheeling the bike around on foot.

quote:

I guess I would need a water proof stuff sack to put inside the pannier as I would hate packing a wet tent and getting the rest of my things wet.
You could also have a bigger dry sack, put all the tent stuff in it, and lash that to the top of your rack?

quote:

I've not noticed that I couldn't bike hands free with a handlebar bag, but it's not like I have a few oranges just rolling loose in there. The flop is worse, but controllable enough. The fork geometry is a bigger factor than having more load high up, ime.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mikemelbrooks posted:

In a earlier post you said you had leg vein surgery? Could this in any way impact your problem? Also the only use case for your shoes with SPDs like this is for a spin bike, where you walk to the bike bare footed and take them off straight away. Shimano make a converter for 3 bolt to two bolt that at least let’s you walk with out the risk of falling. Also SPDs concentrate all the force of your pedaling into a very small area.
My advice talk to you someone about your surgery, ride with your shoes a little looser, don’t mash the pedals, and if you can afford it buy some road pedals.
Leave your cleats alone, and people with leg length discrepancies usually are recommended to put shims under the cleats.
https://www.bikester.co.uk/shimano-...5BoC6QIQAvD_BwE

Hi, yes the leg vein surgery could be related, though I'm having issues on my left leg as well and that wasn't operated on. They said I was fine to bike again a few days after it was completed - it was a minimally invasive procedure. I did have to wear a compression stocking at all times including biking for a while. Also the shoe I was using was definitely too small in the toe box, I and the LBS people definitely noticed that, especially in the right one. I am already using the shimano converter so I could use my existing cleats and pedals with these shoes like in the picture. That's also why I got the circuit shoe instead of the velocis.

I'm definitely open to getting road pedals and SPD-SLs at some point down the line, I just want to figure out the numbness part first. Also the road pedals at all my LBS's here were out of stock and I wanted to get on my bike again, hence at least for the time being I bought the $10 converter. Previously I was using a more casual shoe (solstice) so going to one that was a bit stiffer it did feel a bit more awkward.

Also I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but I don't have a road bike, I have a cx bike. Not that I do any cx stuff, I just like the flexibility.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 24, 2020

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Does anyone have input on what pm 2.5 AQI is ok for riding without a mask?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

https://www.airnow.gov/aqi/aqi-basics/

If it's orange or worse I don't ride unless I'm commuting/trying to be somewhere

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I think you can go in orange if you have no health issues but do it at recovery ride pace.
I would caution though right now these numbers are swinging wildly, and can easily go red or worse in an hour or two. Keep an eye out and be ready to head home (and stay close to home).

edit: Trust your body though. If things feel tougher than they should, don't power through.

nm fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 24, 2020

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

Worth every penny.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sigmund Fraud posted:

You'll be putting more stress on your rear wheel and on really steep uphill grades you could wind up doing a wheelie. As long as you're not exceeding the weight capacity of your wheel it should be ok but I prefer having some weight balanced up front and in the frame.

Sigmund Fraud posted:

A trash bag is usually good enough to keep things dry or to contain wet gear if you're careful not to rip it. You would need to spend 100x more for a dry bag with basically the same effect and more bulk.

Sigmund Fraud posted:

If you buy something MUSA by one of the many cottage industry bag makers it will probably last longer
http://www.nukesunrise.com/store/p4/silo.html
or similar

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
So long red dick.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What happened??

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

e.pilot posted:

So long red dick.

It won't be the same without the ol' red rocket around here

Are you powdercoating it?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

bicievino posted:

How'd it go?
i forgot i was a masters and masters start was earlier than i wanted to wake up that saturday lol

:negative:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

i forgot i was a masters and masters start was earlier than i wanted to wake up that saturday lol

:negative:

bummer.

Next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

It won't be the same without the ol' red rocket around here

Are you powdercoating it?

Yep, should have it back in a couple of weeks.