Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Data Graham posted:

He'll always been the Rankin-Bass frog-monster to me

I always thought that they got the voice on that perfect. Much better than the Bakshi LotR Gollum. That's how I heard his voice re-reading the books.

But Bakshi's Gollum matched the description in the books better. The first time I saw the frog thing, I was "Noooo....". Being a true goonlet I immediately went looking for descriptions in all the books. After it was over, natch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

These are versions of the books I have, all 4, and I hate them so much. Even more so once I found better Tolkien art.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I always liked this crazy version of Gollum (e: they call him Go-loom though lol)

From this 1966 adaptation of the Hobbit. It's only 12 minutes so they take some liberties with characters and plot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRqbdpbDwVo

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Aug 24, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MrUnderbridge posted:

I always thought that they got the voice on that perfect. Much better than the Bakshi LotR Gollum. That's how I heard his voice re-reading the books.

with all respect to Andy Sirkis, i think the performance of Gollum in the Rankin-Bass Hobbit is goddamn Shakespearean

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MrUnderbridge posted:

Fuckin Brother Theodore, man.

He was like the Mako of his day

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

throuple is a funny word to say because the "thrup" sound is uncommon in english and has a satisfying popped p sound in the middle anyway don't forget to like share and subscribe

Some throup honestly sounds delicious right now.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

These are versions of the books I have, all 4, and I hate them so much. Even more so once I found better Tolkien art.

I have them too, but kind of love them for their awfulness. It probably helps that the Two Towers cover is popularly known as the "Harlequin cover".

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

tiercel posted:

I have them too, but kind of love them for their awfulness. It probably helps that the Two Towers cover is popularly known as the "Harlequin cover".

I was real deep into the Wheel of Time when I was in Junior High, and this cover did me no favors.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Just Offscreen posted:

Shovel Knight has ruined me- now I can't help but pronounce it "through-pple" in my head.

Isn't "troupple" pronounced "trow-pple", where "trow" rhymes with "how"? Half-trout, half-apple, and all that?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Troupple looking for a Quadpple.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Antioch posted:

I was real deep into the Wheel of Time when I was in Junior High, and this cover did me no favors.

Looks like the cover to a Guybrush Threepwood autobiography

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You think the cover art is bad, you should read the books.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

At no point in The Hobbit does Tolkien specify that hobbits look like small humans. The only description he gives of Bilbo is that he's three feet tall, has curly hair, large feet and pointed ears.

Early depictions vary widely.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Didn't some early copy editor change all the elves to elf, causing some similar confusion?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I guess that's Rand? There are no dragons in Wheel of Time though. Well there are, but not the flying lizard kind. They were making a TV show too, before the plague.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

RandomFerret posted:

At no point in The Hobbit does Tolkien specify that hobbits look like small humans. The only description he gives of Bilbo is that he's three feet tall, has curly hair, large feet and pointed ears.

Early depictions vary widely.

he says that there are people today who are descended from hobbits. and hobbits are described as holding reins, weapons, rings, and tools, so this depiction is missing hands and pockets.

it does remind me that people who i trust to have exhaustively checked have claimed that Tolkien never mentions the skin color of elves.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

doverhog posted:

I guess that's Rand? There are no dragons in Wheel of Time though. Well there are, but not the flying lizard kind. They were making a TV show too, before the plague.

That's a Draghkar

quote:

In their service to the Shadow, the Dreadlords corrupted humans to create some of the Shadowspawn and the Draghkar are among the products of this corruption. Their appearance is similar to a large man with bat-like wings, whose skin is too pale and whose eyes are too large. On foot, they typically wear their wings as a cloak

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

"Lord of Chaos? You look more like a flooring inspector"

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Johnny Aztec posted:

That's a Draghkar

Dig through the ditches

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Johnny Aztec posted:

That's a Draghkar

It looks like one of those “dude flapping his arms” bird people from bojack horseman

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Before Lord of the Rings was written, when Gollum was retconned into having once been a hobbit, Gollum was sometimes illustrated as very big.

Or sometimes as Gargamel

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

canyoneer posted:

Before Lord of the Rings was written, when Gollum was retconned into having once been a hobbit, Gollum was sometimes illustrated as very big.

This looks like a Moomin character

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Doctor Zero posted:

This one is also incredible. I love derpy Smaug.

"But Klaus, I'm not familiar with dragons. What do they look like?"

"Oh, like, a giant reptile, with wings."

"Ok. What kind of w--"

"Okthanksgottagobye!"

Also loving the hilariously redundant translation: "The Little Hobbit." :allears:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Oops, forgot my keys!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

How much could an ATM even have? Is it worth leaving a bit rear end piece of machinery behind? Probably stole that too, but seems like you could maybe sell it for more?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
:thunk:

https://i.imgur.com/htKwsm1.mp4

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Bloop posted:

Three guesses as to why

The Hobbit illustrated by Tove Jansson

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I'm a huge fan of this.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

That's because it's from a book illustrated by Tove Jannson, creator of Moomin.
https://www.moomin.com/en/blog/tove-jansson-freed-moomin-style-illustrating-hobbit/#499d6771

Anyway.
https://twitter.com/Collectotron/status/1297632856555114499?s=20

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LifeSunDeath posted:

How much could an ATM even have? Is it worth leaving a bit rear end piece of machinery behind? Probably stole that too, but seems like you could maybe sell it for more?
They nicked it from a nearby construction site and I think you're badly overestimating the fungibility of large, easily traceable construction vehicles on an island with a population of 4 million.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

I was wondering more about what dumping a wall mounted atm with a bunch or concrete and poo poo stuck to it halfway through the sunroof did to their SUV.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

FDR had a silver shaker he used to make martinis in for people he hung out with. I don't give a poo poo about the fictional sex and violence man but I support drinking martinis the FDR way.
...oh, shaken in a shaker. That... makes more sense.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
SUV? Sunroof? That's a van with a hole in the top.

While typically used to carry heavy loads, they're not usually loaded so... enthusiastically, including the pushing.

Also, pretty sure ATMs have had gyroscopes that ruin the bills if they're treated too roughly, so the robbers got away with a bunch of soggy, colourful paper.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

-Zydeco- posted:

I was wondering more about what dumping a wall mounted atm with a bunch or concrete and poo poo stuck to it halfway through the sunroof did to their SUV.

I doubt this crew would bring their own SUV to the job.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Elfface posted:

SUV? Sunroof? That's a van with a hole in the top.

While typically used to carry heavy loads, they're not usually loaded so... enthusiastically, including the pushing.

Also, pretty sure ATMs have had gyroscopes that ruin the bills if they're treated too roughly, so the robbers got away with a bunch of soggy, colourful paper.

Oh it is a van on a rewatch. I thought it was a suburban.

Ok, now why do they have a van with a hole in the top? I guess they stole that too and cut the hole to load the atm faster? This is a lot of criming and people involved for not that much money.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Welcome to England

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RandomFerret posted:

Welcome to England

Whoa, watch it!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hey guys, make sure that you have one of these ready, it's important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

A machine that size usually sells used for like 60k. You might get 20k assuming you can find someone to buy it. You also need a low boy or similar trailer to transport it since they move slow as hell.

The atm is going to have anywhere between 5k and 200k in it depending on the site and when it was last serviced.