Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Darksiders: Genesis is on Game Pass and, while making Darksiders into Diablo does improve Darksiders, they have a bunch of jumping sections with a Diablo camera and whoever designed that is a criminal who should go to jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I started playing this game as I got it for free at some point...holy poo poo did not imagine something like this would happen...what the actual gently caress.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Barudak posted:

Another spiritfarer thing regarding, this time, Stanley

This kid from a not healthy homelife has a meltdown because people are fake nice to him after writing a bad play and instead of addressing this, you help him kill himself. What the gently caress game?

Aren't the people you meet already dead? They just haven't been able to pass on yet was how I understood it from playing a session.
They're dead and in limbo, waiting for you to ferry them beyond. (Which makes it feel all the stranger that seemingly everyone you knew died just recently, if that's the case.)

Dragging it down, I tried the game for a bit but the controls and frustrating interactions made me not bother even though it was very pretty.
It felt a lot like a bad flash platformer when it came to movement, and it never stopped being annoying how often passengers would happily stand infront of a door, making you enter it instead of interacting with them.
Also a lot of animations and etc are just super long and overdone just for the sake of being long and overdone. Sawing down a tree means spending as much time sawing it as watching you sloooooowly summon up a magical saw to do it.

Interactions should generally be snappy, if your primary concern and interest is to animate things at the expense of playability, why not just make a video instead?
After all, just the amount of people going 'ommmmg u can pick up stuff in Ghost of Tsushima without an animation, just the prompt.' in the sister thread is a good indicator of just how much people loving hate games getting stopped/slowed down by slow, unnecessary animations and interactions.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Slow repeated animations have annoyed the gently caress out of me since Ocarina of Time and age had not mellowed me on that front. If you are making me slowly push blocks in 2020 you are a fundamentally bad person

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Trevor from GTAV is just an unpleasant moron, the writers clearly want you to love him as a zany self-aware "guy with the personality to suit all the crimes and rampages you do", but then put him in a serious story and made him obnoxiously smug and meta and I am very glad I had the option to kill him eventually

My impression of Trevor was he was deliberately written as a gently caress you to the people who didn't like the serious tone of GTA4 because the devs became convinced they were serious storytellers and crime committing sandbox was a great medium for telling a serious character drama.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the generally accepted assessment that the three GTA V protagonists represent each 'stage' of a GTA protagonist's story:

- Franklin represents humble ambitious beginnings, but a general unrest with his place in life and desire for something better (a la CJ of San Andreas)
- Trevor represents the halfway point, where he spins his wheels accomplishing little while casually sowing chaos (a la Tommy Vercetti of Vice City)
- Michael represents the end goal where the protagonist made their fortune and got out of the game, but couldn't leave it behind to their eventual detriment (a la Vic and Lance Vance from Vice City Stories to Vice City proper)

I think GTA V is supposed to be a straightforward crime thriller in a crap-rear end world instead of a literary assessment of the Grand Theft Auto story structure, especially given that some of these same characters feature in the Online story which takes place over a span of multiple years in-universe. But it is interesting to look at it from that perspective. A lot of things fall into place neatly.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Aug 24, 2020

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

rodbeard posted:

My impression of Trevor was he was deliberately written as a gently caress you to the people who didn't like the serious tone of GTA4 because the devs became convinced they were serious storytellers and crime committing sandbox was a great medium for telling a serious character drama.

I'll buy this interpretation because one of the first things he does is that he kills the player protag from the Lost and the Damned which, IIRC was the first GTA story which didn't do so well with the audience or the critics because it was too gloomy and had a really dark story undertones.

"OK so here is your loony motherfucker, please enjoy the ride you assholes"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who are the worst player characters, as in they are completely unlikable and uninteresting?

Altair. It's honestly amazing how much the sequel improved on the franchise just by having a protagonist that people actually liked.

quote:

When he retires at the end of Arkham Knight it feels like such a middling defeat as the same foes will continue to terrorize Gotham. A byproduct of the dark and edgy tone is that it renders any sense of accomplishment null.
Arkham Knight is more about Batman saving himself than saving the city and he succeed in that regard.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Aug 24, 2020

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Alhazred posted:

Altair. It's honestly amazing how much the sequel improved on the franchise just by having a protagonist that people actually liked.

Similarly, Connor. He had relatable motivations and flaws, but as a character he was library paste.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bony tony posted:

Similarly, Connor. He had relatable motivations and flaws, but as a character he was library paste.

His most relatable stuff was from the homestead side missions and nowhere in the main quest

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

christmas boots posted:

His most relatable stuff was from the homestead side missions and nowhere in the main quest

His story also included naval missions related to story enemies, which were missed by most of people who didn't bother with the optional side content, because he was such a tool that you wanted to just watch the story to its end and get it done. If you went past a point of no return they just died off-screen and Connor unceremoniously just threw out their paintings.

Unbelievably bad design in every way.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Who are the worst player characters, as in they are completely unlikable and uninteresting?

Considering how many crimes against humanity he commits, I can't say uninteresting applies but whatever the guy's name from Deponia was. That guy just sucked all the way through the game. Someone already said Aiden Pearce, I'm throwing in Ethan Mars from RE7 and soon to be 8 as well. Adding in whoever the main character in Dying Light was as well.

Brave and the Bold Batman is still good though.

Whenever it comes time to make a comic book thing in another medium, it seems that the people doing it are fundementally opposed to the idea of them. You've got the Marvel Movies draining all the color out of every scene and people's costumes like it's a later season of House, the Batman games making him into the world's least compelling person to hold a conversation with and at that point why are you even bothering to try? It's like the Hellboy sequel that was garbage since they didn't really give a poo poo about making it clear that Hellboy cared about people even though he was kind of an rear end a lot of the time.

Marvel's Spider-Man was novel for being worried about everyone else's safety all the time though.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

he was intended to be a clueless everyman that could ease players into the game's existentialism 101 themes but instead came off as a mewling prick who was completely unable to grasp a point no matter how many times it was reiterated to him

Ah yes, the Lloyd Irving school of character design (Tales of Symphonia)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Nier Automata has a hacking minigame, which is a basic shoot em up. A lot of people have a problem with it, but I don't mind it. It's not my favorite thing ever, but I can deal with the basic concept.

What bugs me though, is that your "ship" can't be modified or customized in any way. In the main game, you can equip 20+ different melee weapons with different upgrades, as well as choosing between three different guns, and a nice selection of special attacks. You can customize your character's attributes as well.

But with hacking, you can't even switch between a normal shot or a spread shot. I feel like there would be so much potential to make your ship faster but weaker, or change the bullet type, or use a bomb attack, or even change the color of the little triangle. And instead, you're just shooting the same basic bullets over and over, which is a shame because it's one of the most powerful techniques in your arsenal.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RareAcumen posted:

Considering how many crimes against humanity he commits, I can't say uninteresting applies but whatever the guy's name from Deponia was. That guy just sucked all the way through the game. Someone already said Aiden Pearce, I'm throwing in Ethan Mars from RE7 and soon to be 8 as well. Adding in whoever the main character in Dying Light was as well.

Awww, I liked Ethan in RE7, he goes from legitimately terrified to a total badass as the game goes on and he gets increasingly sick of the Baker family and their minions.

Of course, I chose not to use the serum on my wife, which apparently I was in a pretty huge minority for judging by the trophy data at the time. But gently caress you Mia, you lured me here to either become a monster or food for one, and then you loving CUT MY HAND OFF, and you lied throughout our entire marriage because you were secretly working for an evil bioweapons company, why on earth would I save you as opposed to the one single person who has been helping me this whole time?

E: For an actual thing dragging the game down, I have no idea how that balloon bomb thing from the escape room portion of the story is supposed to work, it's like a prank weapon from some BTAS Joker shenanigans

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Aug 24, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I'm throwing in Ethan Mars from RE7 and soon to be 8 as well.

What did Ethan ever do to anybody? :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ5KGeO2zHg

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Awww, I liked Ethan in RE7, he goes from legitimately terrified to a total badass as the game goes on and he gets increasingly sick of the Baker family and their minions.

Of course, I chose not to use the serum on my wife, which apparently I was in a pretty huge minority for judging by the trophy data at the time. But gently caress you Mia, you lured me here to either become a monster or food for one, and then you loving CUT MY HAND OFF, and you lied throughout our entire marriage because you were secretly working for an evil bioweapons company, why on earth would I save you as opposed to the one single person who has been helping me this whole time?

in her last transmission to ethan she apologized for the pretense and then very loudly and clearly told ethan to stay the hell away from Murder Bayou, it was only after she got fungus-jacked that all the other bad stuff happened

still not invalid to pick zoe over her, but let's be reasonable here

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Oxxidation posted:

in her last transmission to ethan she apologized for the pretense and then very loudly and clearly told ethan to stay the hell away from Murder Bayou, it was only after she got fungus-jacked that all the other bad stuff happened

still not invalid to pick zoe over her, but let's be reasonable here

Again, though, she only got mushroomed up because she was a paramilitary soldier working for an evil bioweapons corporation that shoved a bunch of Evil Fungus into like an eight year old girl. She sucks.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm pretty sure the fungus bioweapon was a fungus first, just designed to look like a child for infiltration purposes. There are other, uh, "models" around the house that were a fetus and a smaller child before they petrified, but it was kind of like a rogue android situation instead of an actual kidnapped kid. Not going to deny she sucks though, I was really disappointed that saving Zoe is basically written as the wrong choice and is immediately undermined.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Saving Mia is the better choice because if you saved Zoe you wouldn't be able to come back and play as Joe "Fist of Death" Baker :colbert:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

E: For an actual thing dragging the game down, I have no idea how that balloon bomb thing from the escape room portion of the story is supposed to work, it's like a prank weapon from some BTAS Joker shenanigans

I just don't care for first person most of the time and Ethan being barely a character doesn't help me that much.

Also your mistake is believing that it's actually a balloon and not another form of virus.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Ethan is kind of a ghost-you never see his face, learn much about him, he has minimal dialogue, etc-which would be fine in most games, but it's a weird choice for Resident Evil. Since the beginning of the series, we've had big personalities and memorable dialogue, for better or for worse.

I understand that they wanted someone new to horror, but they could have given him a bit more of a personality. I thought the remake of 2 did really well in depicting both main characters, but particularly Claire, as in way over their heads and loving done with everything by the end.

If Capcom wants to use him again in RE8, that's fine, but I hope we get a little more about what makes him unique. I don't want him to suddenly reveal his skill with a katana or turning into a vampire bat, but it would be nice if he had more of a point of view.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I mostly enjoy Ghost of Tsushima's lack of HUD and it received a lot of praise for doing away with the Detective/Eagle/Witcher/Focus vision when you need to follow someone's trail or pick out things of interest in the environment but there is a not uncommon number of missions where the game tells you to search the area and you don't know what you're searching for. Several times now I've been looking around for something out of place or someone weird and the game will go "ah ah, back that way" because I've unknowingly left the search area and when that happens more than once the lack of a second sight or extra senses quickly fades. Doing concentric circles around the starting point until the game shows an R2 prompt doesn't make me feel like I'm examining things in a way that's any more natural or organic than if Jin was just Google Glass'ing his way to the next checkpoint like his buddies in other third-person open world games.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The game also needs a way to save loadouts so I don’t have to keep meticulously swapping out my charms and armor

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Going back a couple of pages, for the idea of post release DLC messing up a game, Dead Rising 3 was really bad about it. It really messes up the beginning of the game because you can just go to a locker and get a whole bunch of power weapons. So you have no reason to actually combine junk to make your own.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I can't beat the 0% difficulty AI on F1 2018. I usually play racing games on hard and now I'm worried something is wrong with me. I could put driving assists on but I want to drive an actual F1 car and it just doesn't feel right with assists on. I'm probably just not used to the characteristics of an F1 car but there's no tutorial or training so I'm not sure how I'm meant to git gud.

It's not so much the difficulty but the fact the AI never seem to gently caress up. I spend 3 laps looking at the back of Pierre Gasly's car, make a mistake and that's it. It's 0% difficulty, I want chaos!

Third difficulty complaint: there should a setting between unlimited flashbacks and no flashbacks. Codemasters made GRiD and DiRT where you had limited flashbacks and that made for a great tightrope where one mistake won't gently caress the race you've spent half an hour on but it's so tense when you've used them. Unlimited just feels like cheating and I don't have the self control to not give myself one more when I crash on the last lap.

20 years on and I'm still chasing the dragon of ToCA 2's AI drivers.

Walton Simons has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Aug 24, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Walton Simons posted:

I can't beat the 0% difficulty AI on F1 2018. I usually play racing games on hard and now I'm worried something is wrong with me. [b[I could put driving assists on but I want to drive an actual F1 car[/b] and it just doesn't feel right with assists on. I'm probably just not used to the characteristics of an F1 car but there's no tutorial or training so I'm not sure how I'm meant to git gud.

It's not so much the difficulty but the fact the AI never seem to gently caress up. I spend 3 laps looking at the back of Pierre Gasly's car, make a mistake and that's it. It's 0% difficulty, I want chaos!

Third difficulty complaint: there should a setting between unlimited flashbacks and no flashbacks. Codemasters made GRiD and DiRT where you had limited flashbacks and that made for a great tightrope where one mistake won't gently caress the race you've spent half an hour on but it's so tense when you've used them. Unlimited just feels like cheating and I don't have the self control to not give myself one more when I crash on the last lap.

20 years on and I'm still chasing the dragon of ToCA 2's AI drivers.

Just put some assists on. There aren't even 20 drivers in f1 who can competently drive an f1 car. I'm assuming you're on wheel/pedals.

If you're on no assists at all then run poo poo loads of practice sessions to learn the tracks. Or embrace the realism, replace lance stroll and finish 20th every week in a williams

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

ilmucche posted:

Just put some assists on. There aren't even 20 drivers in f1 who can competently drive an f1 car. I'm assuming you're on wheel/pedals.

Fair point, ABS and medium traction control it is.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Trying to get used to the Luigi's Mansion 3 controls, I love that they include gyro aim assist, but man it's taking me forever to get used to it. It feels awkward that the stick has full control but the gyro aim only controls the vertical axis for some reason.

A lot of it's that I've played roughly a billion hours of Splatoon, which has roughly the inverse of that (full 2D gyro aim, with the stick controlling rapid horizontal movement). I know the focus of the two games is really different, but it just seems awkward to limit the physical controller motion like that.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Moreover is Batman after Arkham Asylum. Arkham City is one of my favorite games and yet it soured me on ever liking Batman the comic/movie/video-game character again. Despite all his resources Batman seldom saves anyone, rarely reforms anyone, constantly antagonists both his allies and his foes at the worst possible time, and keeps entertaining the notion with the Joker instead of knocking him unconscious. When he retires at the end of Arkham Knight it feels like such a middling defeat as the same foes will continue to terrorize Gotham. A byproduct of the dark and edgy tone is that it renders any sense of accomplishment null.

Even Arkham Asylum's Batman already had one foot in that direction. Those games ended up feeling really weird because they tried super hard to invoke The Animated Series as much as possible but it clashed horribly with the aggressively gritty and dingy feel to everything.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Aiden Pearce from Watchdogs.

As I am wont to do, I will once again argue that Aiden being a huge piece of poo poo actually fits perfectly into the (otherwise lackluster) story they told with him. The game as a whole gets confused about it sometimes, but the overwhelming majority of the story missions and their cutscenes make it abundantly clear that the dude has more than a few screws loose and actively makes the lives of literally everyone else around him worse. Clearly not everyone was on the same page (and/or it was due to the oft-claimed script rewrites) but it is there in the text.

Though I'm sure there's some of this in there too:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I do not like Watch Dogs at all but yeah Aiden Pearce being a massive rear end in a top hat who really should not have a super hacker phone is laid out plainly by his interactions with his family. He sees his sister acting stressed out about a phone call and instead of just asking her about it like a normal person he immediately sneaks off to hack her phone using his phone to listen to their conversation. When pressed by her about why he did this he does not respond, as he is already storming off to chase the culprit and ram him off the road with his car (or her car if the player feels like being a real dick). His suspicions end up being correct that it's a threat from someone targeting his family, but jesus dude use your words.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Aug 25, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

I do not like Watch Dogs at all but yeah Aiden Pearce being a massive rear end in a top hat who really should not have a super hacker phone is laid out plainly by his interactions with his family. He sees his sister acting stressed out about a phone call and instead of just asking her about it like a normal person he immediately sneaks off to hack her phone using his phone to listen to their conversation. His suspicions end up being correct that it's a threat from someone targeting his family, but jesus dude use your words.

Didn’t the whole family thing get a last minute rewrite to change his relationship with some of the characters? I read that’s why it’s so goddamn bizarre somewhere.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes. His sister in the final game was originally his wife. Aiden's niece dies in the game's intro due to the aforementioned people targeting his family, but she was originally his daughter.

edit: Also, the story originally was supposed to have Aiden remain unknown as the vigilante so the plot characters live in ignorance that he's Hackerman until it is revealed to them. This does not gel super well with pedestrians on the street and shop owners and the ingame radio giving Aiden props by name for being the vigilante.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:08 on Aug 25, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Also the game was originally set in Arkansas

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You can't recycle your passengers' houses in Spiritfarer even after they're gone and I thought for sure that was gonna be part of the management deal, having to weigh their company and perks against your space requirements. That would have been more interesting than "deal with this bungalow taking up space forever". (Still one of the games of the year if you ask me.)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

CJacobs posted:

Sleeping Dogs did it right by hiding the red envelopes full of ~a few thousand dollars apiece around the game world so you had to seek them out on at least the first playthrough, and then did it wrong by giving you several levels in triad and police EXP for free for no reason from the start of the game. Thankfully you can now disable individual DLCs on Steam for most modern games so it's not a big deal.

experience is loving impossible to max out in that game if you don't minmax with your outfit though. god forbid you wear whatever you want

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm really loving the Command and Conquer Remastered collection at the moment, it's shot of nostalgia directly to my veins, and they are fantastic games.

BUT

There are difficulty spikes in certain levels that make me very glad of the fact that developers have taken different approaches to making games challenging since C&C's (admittedly excellent) early example.

Particularly the 11th Soviet mission in the main Red Alert campaign is basically designed to make you fail unless you play the first 10 minutes several times and are forewarned as to what's coming so as to follow a very specific build order. No sooner have you started getting your base together than the game absolutely horsefucks you with multiple attacks on multiple fronts from units that require mutually exclusive counters. A bunch of Cruisers hove into view (and continually spawn in from offscreen to bombard your base with shells that do massive splash damage and are capable of taking out core buildings in a single shot) which need to be countered by Submarines, you get attacked by transport ships full of tanks (frequently from front and behind) requiring ground forces, and a bunch of helicopters start making strikes on you that can only be countered by expensive defensive structures that are purely anti-air as Soviets lack any kind of cheap anti-air units in the single player campaign.

The latter levels of the original C&C where enemy buildings can re-build contrary to normal placement rules and with vastly reduced build times, basically necessitating that you move an expendable unit over the area where it used to be in order to stop it from being constructed again, deserves special mention. The last GDI mission was a trip because NOD had a couple of construction yards and when I killed one the other rebuilt it, even though construction yards can't build construction yards.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

How about Kratos? It's hard to imagine anyone but an edgelord 15 year old liking him in the first trilogy and then they try to redeem him through lovely dadplot right around when lovely dadplots were peaking.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Look at those lovingly animated jiggling tits on the black woman who just got called a monkey after you sold her into slavery! Just lovely!

Theres also a good heap of transphobia an misogyny in those games.

The game starts because you see a hot chick that you really want to bone down with so you start ruining everyone elses life because your dick is the only thing that matters to you and the happiness of others is irrelevant.
The girl is also literally named "Goal" because thats just the subtlety these writers roll with!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

How about Kratos? It's hard to imagine anyone but an edgelord 15 year old liking him in the first trilogy and then they try to redeem him through lovely dadplot right around when lovely dadplots were peaking.

Kratos is unlikeable but he's also pretty interesting so nah.