Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah gently caress the woodsman, I got him super early my very first time playing :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
A-am I the designated Woodsman-tamer? :ohdear:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Omniphile posted:

A-am I the designated Woodsman-tamer? :ohdear:

If I hadn't spent the entire day throwing Omni at Laetitia... yes. As it is I have to hire a ringer.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Look on the bright side. You're either the designated woodsman tamer or you only ever work the woodsman once.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
I'm now imagining the woodsman just standing right by the door with his axe raised waiting for someone to walk in, and then the day ending with no one coming in because the announcement already went out that the woodsman got ticked off and to ignore him for the rest of the day.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

TeeQueue posted:

If I hadn't spent the entire day throwing Omni at Laetitia... yes. As it is I have to hire a ringer.

Doesn't YMBH work also? No need to hire some guy just to be the golem monkey.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

102 is actually really useful for cheesing certain things.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Theantero posted:

Doesn't YMBH work also? No need to hire some guy just to be the golem monkey.

It would work, but I'm hesitant to use it because

-it would nerf the agent's HP/SP as well
-I can't remember if YMBH kills people at -200 total like it does +200, and would rather not risk it.
-I'd have to wait for the blind YES/NO flash to nerf stats far enough and my luck is pretty terrible. :hmmno:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

TeeQueue posted:

-I can't remember if YMBH kills people at -200 total like it does +200, and would rather not risk it.
-I'd have to wait for the blind YES/NO flash to nerf stats far enough and my luck is pretty terrible. :hmmno:
From personal experience, YMBH does not kill people at -200. But also, going to -200 doesn't save someone who's been to +200.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I guess I never made it past day 20 and drat this game is so good. Might need to actually play it proper again at some point!

TeeQueue posted:

Put me in coach I'm good for it I've been practicing all off season!!!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

TeeQueue posted:

Since you're gonna have more departments to fill out in the future, and probably get more abnormalities with gimmicks that require specific eigenvector stats, could you not hire spare noobs ahead of time and cycle them out along with your max-level benchwarmers to avoid overtraining?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I could hire noobs right now, but it would be a tremendously bad idea to do so until ~the late 20s because it'd wind up wasting a lot of resources. Once we hit a specific thing, I could absolutely hire any number of people to be designated woodsman petting crew.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Now that we have woodman, can we get airman as an WAW abnormality?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Too scary-if it breached I couldn't defeat it. :v:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
There's one thing about the Woodsman that TeeQueue can't really demonstrate here. The reason why it sucks is that if you're playing blind, there's two factors at work here.

A: You're not necessarily guarenteed to throw a max-Temperance agent at him. Which means.... you can't unlock his basic information and therefore can't see his counter being that glaring suspicious 0. He only has 18 max boxes on work and you need 16 to get his info.

B: Since he kills the person AFTER the person who caused his counter to get to 0, it's very easy to mistake just what caused the death + breach. In fact, it may make you think the first person was safe to work on it. So you work it with that person twice in a row... and another death.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Abnormality Roundup 5

Since we're only halfway through Central, there's not a lot of thoughts to have here-but I'm incredibly satisfied with how the facility is pulling together. We've got annoyances, but they're annoyances we can deal with, and that's what counts. One more bird!

All-Around Helper

First off, everyone should take a peek at the full artwork, because it's wonderful. :allears:

Anyways, Helper's a super simple Abnormality. Don't get Normals or Bads, and it'll be fine-and it's got a preferred sweet spot of level 2-3 to get the best results out of Instinct and Justice training. Its breach is easy to handle and simple to trigger, its gear gives 3 suits with decent Red and Black resistance, and overall it's a solid boon to any facility. Not much to say about it, because it's very good.

Judgment Bird

A third of Birdzodia so we need it, Judgment Bird is not really good for any kind of optimized training. Fully half of the Pale damage work Abnormalities in the game, it's risky to work with prior to getting ALEPH/Knight of Despair's gear. For our effort, though, we get amazing gear capable of allowing us to work with any abnormality that shows up with relative safety-0.5 Pale is tied for second-best in the game, and 0.5 is good in every other stat as well. On a more personal note, Judgey here was the first WAW I ever got, way back when I first played through the game. Working it with a 1.5x Pale suits is dicey, but doable, and getting its gear on day 19 or 20 makes for a smooth early game. With a super simple breach requirement and incredibly forgiving Good work thresholds Judgement Bird is a good Bird. :allears:

Warm-Hearted Woodsman

...this guy. This guy. Okay so he's a problem, since working him with anyone who has 3+ Temperance will reduce his QC to 0 and make him unworkable the rest of the day. However, working Attachment will cause our Agent's Temperance to skyrocket at the end of the day, leaving them no longer able to work it the next day. The simple solution would be to work anything else but Attachment, but with only a 45% work rate and a Temperance of ~35 it's a straight 52% chance of success for any other work type to succeed each box. However, it has a Bad threshold of 0-8, and a total PE box number of 18, so if our luck is slightly worse than average we wind up with 8 or less and our workday with it is done. Its full observation bonus will add +8% to that and brings it up to a safer 60%, but to get that we have to hit observation level 4, which means we'll have been working with it already-the smart play would be to just dedicate one Agent to getting everything via Attachment, and then having a second guy show up to work it with something else whenever it melts down from then on.

Overall it's frustrating to handle, and the one upside to it is that it gives 3 decent suits of HE armor, alongside 2 decent weapons. I wouldn't have picked it if it was against better abnormalities, but this is another one of those 'best of a bad situation' picks.

Backward Clock

Backward Clock is a sort of Godzilla Threshold with limits on what it can deal with. It clears all meltdowns in our facility, and suppresses most threats, with the most pressing immunities being Midnight Ordeals and things like Birdzodia-sadly we cannot cheese the oft-hyped superboss by time travelling. Still, we can defeat any Dusk or any combination of Abnormalities breaching from our facility 1/day, no questions asked. It's very simple, and unlike most tools it probably won't kill everyone. Just make sure not to send anything but a level 5 Agent to a fully charged Clock. Trust me.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 3, 2021

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

e.: might have been a spoiler question, removed.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

KazigluBey posted:

e.: might have been a spoiler question, removed.

If it strikes you as important, you can always ask over at the megathread or shoot me a PM, depending on which seems more appropriate.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

It's very simple, and unlike most tools it probably won't kill everyone. Just make sure not to send anything but a level 5 agent to a fully charged Clock. Trust me.

When you are playing blind, it will kill everyone, since all usage tips are hidden at 5+ uses. Luckily, our time travel technology makes it a temporary setback.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MiiNiPaa posted:

When you are playing blind, it will kill everyone, since all usage tips are hidden at 5+ uses. Luckily, our time travel technology makes it a temporary setback.

Not necessarily - sending a level 1 or 2 agent to work it before it's charged does literally nothing but still counts as a use for info unlocking purposes. If you figure that out early on you can unlock all its information without triggering anything.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
We still haven’t seen my favorite tool but I’m holding out hope :pray:

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Agent me up and I will tame the woodsman (for a day)!

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Submitted my own application, ready for potential horrible evisceration at any time as needed!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I wonder how the apps are processed anyway. Is it a random draft, a queue, is there preference for first apps as opposed to second or further by the same goon, etc.

Basically what I mean is, how close to the front am I personally :v:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Theantero posted:

I wonder how the apps are processed anyway. Is it a random draft, a queue, is there preference for first apps as opposed to second or further by the same goon, etc.

Basically what I mean is, how close to the front am I personally :v:

Okay here's how it's worked so far:

-My wife gets first dibs when she decides she wants in, because I like being alive
-after that, characters that make sense to due to thread plot (Zeta21 would be an example of this)
-then start rolling dice
-if someone has multiple character submissions then should I hit one I color the others purple in order to avoid hitting them a second time

So it's completely random, mostly, with a caveat of "sometimes ideas are really good or absolutely perfect for our plotline."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Day 23: Story

Music: story 4

But what did fertile really mean to them? Is it worthy of all the tales of conflict and pain that took place? Numerous stories began and vanished. And in that process, people started to lose faith.

At a certain moment, a new civilization was born. Countless things changed in the blink of an eye. Along with the emergence of new technologies.

That’s right, just as the first humans wanted, those technologies had the intention to create a fertile world. People wanted a better world. And that aim for a better world set forth new spectacles ashimmer, a previously unimaginable sight that burst forth to the unprepared mind.

One thing is certain; it is what enabled me to speak with you now.

In summary: Singularities. They're a big deal, which every one of the Wings has. Each one is some sort of super-technology which allows the world to flourish. Angela doesn't say it, but ours is probably related to the Abnormalities.

Music: Town - Alone in a Crowd

You're welcome. :colbert:

They seem more motivated than usual. It’s rare to see such a lively atmosphere; it’s even getting me excited.

“Lively” isn’t really the right word. It’s more like, excited over a trivial thing. All because of a new manager. That’s nothing special to us.

Be more understanding, Tiphereth. This is Lobotomy Corporation. News is rare other than the usual word of someone’s death. The employees need something to talk about.

Well, if it makes them more efficient at work for even a short time, then yes, I’ll be understanding. What I can’t get is why they’re so noisy about it all.

Weren’t you excited the first time a new manager came in as well?

It’s still worth the excitement, even if it’s not the first time to happen. Do you remember? Back then, when we made a bet over whether the manager could save an employee who was at 95% mental corruption.

Of course I remember. I bet that he couldn’t, and you placed your bet on them being saved.

Yeah, though the employee died, unfortunately.

I was so happy with my victory, I insisted on keeping up our bets, even though the result always ended up the same.

Well, because you always lost. Winning wasn’t fun anymore.

I never bet without thinking it through, though. I always placed my hope in him, thinking: “Maybe this time”.

It’s a shame that you never got to win once.

Well, maybe if we had infinite time, I guess a day would come when my hopes could come true.

>I could hedge on it happening.

Perhaps the bet could have turned out differently if we’d met sooner.

---

>Don’t bet on a pipe dream.

I’ve always had faith in you, and I still trust you to save them one day.

---

Routes Merge Here

In summary: The employees are chattering more than usual about the manager, and Tiphereth doesn't really care since she's seen it so many times. Tiphereth still thinks it's a cause for excitement though, since it's talking about something that isn't death. Tiphereth and Tiphereth used to make bets long ago, and while Tiphereth always bet that the manager would succeed, Tiphereth always bet the manager would fail-and she'd always win. Tiphereth hopes that we'll be the manager who can save an employee one day.

More of this?

It's harder now! Just because you did it once doesn't mean you'll do it every time.

It's important to practice, to make sure you can do all you can.

In that case… Hey, how about you two make one more bet? Think I can make it without having to rewind things?

Hmph! Don't be ridiculous, of course you'll fail.

Well, I think he'll succeed this time.

Again? Alright, I guess I don't mind winning one more time.

We'll see about that.

Mm…

Why, Hod, you seem worried.

Oh, um… it's nothing, really. I had a counseling session scheduled, but the employee hasn't shown up.

Oh my! Do you think they found another source of enkephalin?

Um… I haven't given any more out since that time, so…

I see! Then they must not be showing up because of that. We can't have any addicts on staff-who was it you were waiting on?

I'm sure it's not that kind of problem!

No need to be shy. You know I've worked hard to be a competent Sephirah, and I'll lend you my talents for this.

Um..!

I'm sure if I just ask everyone, I'll be able to find the missing person! I'm off!

Thanks for the thought, but I really don't need that..! Malkuth! Hey, Malkuth!

Next time, on Lobotomy Corporation: We have a bet to win. :getin:

Oh, there you are, Mr.Blond! You're supposed to be talking with Hod right now!

I don't need to be talking to anyone. All these programs and requirements… S'enough to make me miss Safety.

Don't be like that! Malkuth's looking for you too, you know.

Eww… Fine, I guess I'll make an appearance. We both know I'm one of the best-adjusted people here, anyways.

You've certainly not let things change your everyday pattern. Still, that doesn't mean regular mental health check-ups are bad.

It's just so banal, though. And it's like… What does she care?

She's your boss. It's her job to care.

Well, I'd appreciate it if she wasn't such a pain in the rear end about it. I swear she's not doing it for us, but because it makes her feel better about having so many employees die.

Mr.Blond!

Come on, we all know it's true.

It's a hard job for all of us, and everyone has their own way to cope. :colbert:

Yeah, and mine is not dealing with other people's bull.

Please at least think about going in the future? She's trying her hardest just like the rest of us.

Fine, fine… but only 'cause if I don't she might sic that Control freak on me again.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 3, 2021

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

That's a different game franchise, though. :ssh:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Wings of the World confirmed to include LobCorp and Monokuma Inc

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Elfface posted:

Hmm. One has murderbots produced on pretense of creating a robotic helper for dangerous situations. All-Around Helper is a XX-inc produced murderbot disguised as a robotic helper. Checks out.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
That Tiphereth conversation makes me think that the manager is the same person every time. Could just be the translation though.

Maybe they reset the manager's memory? Maybe it's related to the time travel? Maybe the manager is an AI also?

Alternately, it could just be that seraphim never actually know who the manager is, so even if managers change, they may not really know that the manager changed?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Elfface posted:

The Lobcorb AI having been created by the Super High School Level Mad Scientist does make a terrifying amount of sense.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

No Rewinds is a pretty good challenge, by virtue of you only getting one shot at it.

No Clerk Deaths challenge when?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Clerks don't count. :colbert:

...Also it'd basically be RNG to see if you get crimson dawn and noon only. You really can't keep them safe.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

I'm confident that with a dispersion of high level agents all around the facility for a speedy response and liberal usage of [REDACTED] all Dawns could be dealt with, and possibly even Green Noon. It would definitely be a huge pain in the rear end, though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Clerks don't count. :colbert:

...Also it'd basically be RNG to see if you get crimson dawn and noon only. You really can't keep them safe.

Crimson dawn isn't safe for clerks either, they explode on death. You'd pretty much have to roll a violet dawn then stop before noon, I think.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if you started the clock early you could end an ordeal right as it starts, but are the lives of clerks worth a lvl 5 employee?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

lets hang out posted:

if you started the clock early you could end an ordeal right as it starts, but are the lives of clerks worth a lvl 5 employee?

Presumably enough clerks would be. What's the exchange rate?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Black Robe posted:

Presumably enough clerks would be. What's the exchange rate?

100 clerks would be worth a lvl 1 Employee and the rates only get worse from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Completely inadvisable usage of [REDACTED] would also let the manager just finish a day without seeing ordeals, at...some cost.