Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

BadAstronaut posted:

Just saw boxed PC Eye of the Beholder 2 sell for $110USD on eBay. Very hard to pick up some oldies as a casual collector/player!

That one looks like a case where people just got into a mindless bidding war.

You should be able to get EOB2 for much less, unless there's something special about that copy I'm missing. (Including the clue book isn't good enough these days since you can get that on GOG as well.)

Mindless bidding wars happen ... you don't have to "win" by overpaying (unless the game really is that rare, which EOB2 is nowhere close to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Boldor posted:

That one looks like a case where people just got into a mindless bidding war.

You should be able to get EOB2 for much less, unless there's something special about that copy I'm missing. (Including the clue book isn't good enough these days since you can get that on GOG as well.)

Mindless bidding wars happen ... you don't have to "win" by overpaying (unless the game really is that rare, which EOB2 is nowhere close to).

The clue book probably helps a lot since it's more about having the physical things.

I don't know EOB2 that well but I imagine there's a bunch of walkthroughs and FAQs that go into way more detail than the clue book.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Yeh I think that would be like a $35 max for me, maybe at some point in the future. I'd love to have it, but it's not worth close to that to me!

Boldor
Sep 4, 2004
King of the Yeeks

Skwirl posted:

The clue book probably helps a lot since it's more about having the physical things.

AD&D CRPG clue books are easier to come by than clue books for other games, though. A lot of used boxed copies will randomly have one; it's significantly more likely than for Ultima or Might and Magic.

The trick I used to get them my set cheap no longer applies. I'd e-mail the seller on a poorly-advertised auction for an AD&D game, ask if there was a clue book, and only bid if it were present. Auctions these days are much more likely to have pictures of the box contents. Also, a lot more people know to look for the clue/hint book when advertising a game these days.

They've dropped in value since then, about $25 now, no longer many times the game itself. It used to be that if you advertised it well, you could easily get $50, when the complete-in-box game itself was $5-$10.

Though it is worse if you have to pay shipping from the US to Europe, it should still be easily less than $110.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've bought a lot of used classic CRPG clue books basically for the cost of shipping off amazon/online goodwill. I like thumbing through them sometimes and I now have a clue book for most of the games I played. I've never felt like rebuying physical copies of the old games as the clue books kinda sated that need.

My family did sell off all my old stuff on ebay properly and they made a decent bit of money. I can't recall which games but it did always feel random which ones went for a lot. Like plenty of special editions/boxes with trinkets went for meh, but then some random normal boxed game went for a lot (like release day Daggerfall boxed which I don't remember having anything special).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I had an old walkthrough/guide of the first 6 King's Quest games that had both regular walkthroughs and then a narrative guide to each game. Kinda like some of the more elaborate in character Let's Plays that show up here.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
For some reason, likely because of the small scope and theoretical usefulness, just about the only CRPG material collection I ever completed was the full Quest for Clues/Book of Orbs/Swords/Whatever run, because I kept marvelling at just how long the series carried on beyond when I assumed it would have stopped. Yeah, there is definitely an appeal behind reading about how to beat a game, even if you are not playing it.

Beyond that, I am both delighted and saddened that I got to the point where I was ready to sell my collection overall before I got to the point where I wanted to complete my collection. Sorry, Origin; my goal to honor your memory by building a shrine of all your titles never quite worked out

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

for me it's the sadism that pushes it over into :yikes: territory for me. like, the gore in and of itself is whatever; MKX wasn't really showing any less or more viscera on screen, and that game didn't disturb me nearly as much. it's poo poo like how, in Baraka's head chomp fatality, they went out of their way to record audible death rattles for the other fighter as they slowly die from massive brain trauma, and how in Jacqui's fatality where she uses a force field to slice the other person in half, you can hear the heart beat slower and slower until it eventually stops over the "JACQUI WINS" screen.

like, there's a lot of emphasis on little "realism" details that make your brain stop going "this is dumb splatstick, it's okay for me to laugh at this" and start going "HOLY poo poo I AM WATCHING SOMEONE DIE HORRIBLY" even when the actual events being shown are batshit over-the-top.

e: interestingly, the Mortal Kombat series has historically had a really tough time in Germany when it was goofy and Evil Dead 2-ish... and this 180'd pretty much specifically for the game that goes full grimdark edgelord with the gore, which you can just go buy off a shop shelf with a USK 18 sticker on it.
I miss when Fatalities were punching somebody so hard they exploded into like fifteen ribcages. :sigh:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

I miss when Fatalities were punching somebody so hard they exploded into like fifteen ribcages. :sigh:

They still do that sometimes. The way they've approached fatalities in newer games is weird because like half of them are ridiculous over the top comedic ones, and the other half are like, disturbingly realistic gruesome deaths that give the artists PTSD from working on them.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I also find the gore in modern MK games unfun. It doesn't have that cartoonish fun of punching someone's head off and ends up going more and more over the top in terms of sheer gruesomeness that I really can't enjoy it outside of like, Torr hurling Ferra like a javelin though someone's chest.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I know this will likely go for some crazy amount and I won't win it... but how much do you guys estimate Savage Frontier in this condition could be worth?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Worlds-...359.m1431.l2649

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I imagine it will go up to about 150$, but that's just me guessing. Good condition isn't quite the same as mint condition.

How much it's actually worth is a very different question.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

BadAstronaut posted:

I know this will likely go for some crazy amount and I won't win it... but how much do you guys estimate Savage Frontier in this condition could be worth?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Worlds-...359.m1431.l2649
I don't know what the price would be now but looking at my old sale documents, I think I sold my (EXTRA Complete) copy for $90:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Aw man. I sold my copy in a condition like that as part of a big bundle. I mean, I got about $30 for it so at least it was worth the effort to ship it but I should have known that one in particular would be worth something.

It was like I knew the world was about to end and I might want some extra money, when I just suddenly stared at my collection in December and decided a bunch of it should go away.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I remember seeing a mapper program for old DOS dungeon crawlers, I had them in the backlog for years but the lack of an automap is proving enough of a pain that I'm probably not gonna beat them otherwise. It had an realtime-updated map window next to the game screen and could be a DOSBox plugin. Anybody know what that was?
The games I need mapping for are Dungeon Master 1, Gold Box games and possibly Wizardry.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pierzak posted:

I remember seeing a mapper program for old DOS dungeon crawlers, I had them in the backlog for years but the lack of an automap is proving enough of a pain that I'm probably not gonna beat them otherwise. It had an realtime-updated map window next to the game screen and could be a DOSBox plugin. Anybody know what that was?
The games I need mapping for are Dungeon Master 1, Gold Box games and possibly Wizardry.

Gold Box Companion has automapping

https://gbc.zorbus.net/

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Pierzak posted:

I think it was this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/684690/Grid_Cartographer_4/ That price, though.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Goldbox Companion looks :aaaaa: and amazingly useful. Grid Cartographer... yeah. That price. Will bookmark in case nothing else crops up.
Thanks.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Wizardry 6 and 7 have dedicated automapper mods.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

szary posted:

Wizardry 6 and 7 have dedicated automapper mods.
I look at the Wiz6 mapper, is it a custom DOSbox version that just needs the game files to plug into?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Pierzak posted:

I look at the Wiz6 mapper, is it a custom DOSbox version that just needs the game files to plug into?

Yes and no. It is a custom DOSBox version tweaked to output maps for Wizardry 6 + Wizardry 7 DOS. You will need to increase the windowed resolutions in the DOSBox config file though.

e:
Star Trek Judgement Rites is a big improvement over Star Trek 25th anniversary.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Not an RPG, but from a dev known well in these parts, including this very page... these prices blow me away:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PC-IBM-STROM-ACROSS-EUROPE-BIG-BOX-5-25-VINTAGE-COMPUTER-GAME-WARGAME-SSI/313185185060

(By the way, the copy of Ultima Savage Frontier I bid on sold for $100 even. Maybe, maybe at some point in the future if I have a ton of disposable income and really want to play that with the physical bits and pieces next to me, but man...

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I've been playing Swords of Xeen because I haven't forgotten that I still owe the forums an LP of it, and, well, I wish I'd done this about five years earlier so I could tell people it doesn't seem likely the game will give me enough material to weave a fun LP out of, because it's frustrating to play and not usually in particularly interesting ways. The overworld is too big and sparse, with a general lack of logical ordering or direction on which areas are manageable at your level and which ones will kill you, and monsters of wildly different difficulty levels often coexist in the same area. The game is super stingy with loot, so your characters spend a lot of the game feeling ineffectual because they don't have the equipment or spells they need to function appropriately for their level. The premise of restoring a ruined world and building up towns is a neat idea, but in practice it mostly means not having access to key shops until you've randomly stumbled across the correct monster encampment to destroy to bring that particular merchant back.

Dialogue and quests mostly feel perfunctory and lacking in charm or personality (say what you will about World of Xeen's voice acting, but it was at least memorable). It's also full of bugs: pit traps often still damage you even if you're levitating when you walk over them, locked treasure chests swap between their "closed" and "open" appearance even when you fail to unlock them, and some spots that are meant to give permanent stat boosts just give temporary ones instead (which further magnifies the problem that the game is kinda miserly with permanent stat boosts in general, and high-level spell costs in the Xeen engine are sort of balanced around you boosting your casting stats to have a ton of extra spell points, so your spellcasters run out of juice super fast).

I think the most interesting bit of badness I've seen so far is this:

This is a mountain range surrounded by a border of cloud terrain. I suppose the intent was to create a visual image of high mountains wreathed in clouds, but the devs seem to have forgotten something fairly important about how clouds work in the game engine: if you don't have Levitate up, you fall through them, at which point you take a bunch of damage and land back in the starting town.

Incidentally, the same devs who made Swords of Xeen later went on to make Shattered Light, a Diablo clone that was also by all accounts a barely playable mess.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 24, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ages ago I put Might and Magic X - Legacy on my wishlist because I figured it would be a fun dungeon crawly thing, and then I heard some fairly mixed reviews on it so didn't get it, but every now and then I see it's on special (like it is now) and I think hmmmm but maybe it'd be fun.

So, is it fun, thread? Or am I better off just replaying Wizardry 8 again?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Chairchucker posted:

Ages ago I put Might and Magic X - Legacy on my wishlist because I figured it would be a fun dungeon crawly thing, and then I heard some fairly mixed reviews on it so didn't get it, but every now and then I see it's on special (like it is now) and I think hmmmm but maybe it'd be fun.

It's okay. If you want a game with a combat/skill system in line with Might & Magic 6 welded to grid-based exploration like World of Xeen, it scratches that particular combination of itches. The story and worldbuilding aren't as fun and goofy as the older M&M games, there are some odd design choices (once an enemy sees you, you're locked into combat mode and can't run away from battle, save the game, or leave the area until you've killed it), it had pretty significant issues with loading times and general performance on my computer, and it was clearly rushed out in an unfinished state (there's an achievement for getting a full party to level 40 that you can't get because there literally isn't enough content in the game to get to that level even with the DLC), but it's pretty playable.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Chairchucker posted:

I almost finished it but then forgot to after a computer overhaul. From what I remember, it's good, I'd say almost on par with Bard's Tale IV? I think I enjoyed BT4 a bit more though since it had a ton more character.

6.5ish out of 10

Grab it on a discount, I'd say $10 is fair.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I loved your M&M LPs. If SoX isn't working for you, feel free to move on to M&M 6? Or is it 5. The one after World of Xeen. I mean, if you reeeeeally feel you owe the forums another LP.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Further infuriating Swords of Xeen discoveries: the in-game quest notes sometimes tell you the wrong location to turn in the quest. Hope you remember where you got it!

Playing an open world RPG that's so difficult you can only progress in a specific order is like having a friend who wants to go out for dinner, says "anything's fine", and then shoots down every restaurant you suggest.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OK, screw it. I bought the digital deluxe version, since it comes with number 6.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Thuryl posted:

I've been playing Swords of Xeen because I haven't forgotten that I still owe the forums an LP of it, and, well, I wish I'd done this about five years earlier so I could tell people it doesn't seem likely the game will give me enough material to weave a fun LP out of, because it's frustrating to play and not usually in particularly interesting ways. The overworld is too big and sparse, with a general lack of logical ordering or direction on which areas are manageable at your level and which ones will kill you, and monsters of wildly different difficulty levels often coexist in the same area. The game is super stingy with loot, so your characters spend a lot of the game feeling ineffectual because they don't have the equipment or spells they need to function appropriately for their level. The premise of restoring a ruined world and building up towns is a neat idea, but in practice it mostly means not having access to key shops until you've randomly stumbled across the correct monster encampment to destroy to bring that particular merchant back.

Dialogue and quests mostly feel perfunctory and lacking in charm or personality (say what you will about World of Xeen's voice acting, but it was at least memorable). It's also full of bugs: pit traps often still damage you even if you're levitating when you walk over them, locked treasure chests swap between their "closed" and "open" appearance even when you fail to unlock them, and some spots that are meant to give permanent stat boosts just give temporary ones instead (which further magnifies the problem that the game is kinda miserly with permanent stat boosts in general, and high-level spell costs in the Xeen engine are sort of balanced around you boosting your casting stats to have a ton of extra spell points, so your spellcasters run out of juice super fast).

I think the most interesting bit of badness I've seen so far is this:

This is a mountain range surrounded by a border of cloud terrain. I suppose the intent was to create a visual image of high mountains wreathed in clouds, but the devs seem to have forgotten something fairly important about how clouds work in the game engine: if you don't have Levitate up, you fall through them, at which point you take a bunch of damage and land back in the starting town.

Incidentally, the same devs who made Swords of Xeen later went on to make Shattered Light, a Diablo clone that was also by all accounts a barely playable mess.

when i tried swords of xeen my first impression was that it felt like a kaizo romhack of the xeen games instead of a game in its own right

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

MMX is good fun but there's a lot holding it back. It's a huge love letter to the good parts of the series with a lot of callbacks, but at the same time was made with no budget and they reuse a lot of ugly assets from Heroes/Dark Messiah, and were forced to use the completely generic new UbiSoft setting, so there's no real personality to it despite the dev's best intentions.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Yeah MMX ends up kind of depressing because it's almost there, the race/class/skill combos are a genuinely interesting evolution of the series' skill system, the way blocks work adds a nice twist to combat and at least early on the combat strikes a good balance between hard and punishing.

It's super clear that the game was made with love, enthusiasm and good intentions, but balance and performance issues crop up quickly and Ubisoft's dead world kills that goofy M&M charm.

That said, it's worth your time if you're willing to tunnel vision the dugeon crawling and character development and otherwise pretend it's a plotless game.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MMX was really hard until I realised how to level my skills, at which point it became just pretty hard.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
A M&M6 LP would be best done in video IMO. Getting screenshots of stuff during real-time mode would be annoying and having to constantly switch modes is also annoying.

I've been playing M&M7 on Twitch, although I had to take a break due to getting sick.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I disagree. MM6 is really, really boring to watch for much of the time. Dungeons are big, repetitive and largely empty of anything interesting except for giant piles of trash mobs. You would run out of things to talk about before you're even halfway through.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

CYBEReris posted:

when i tried swords of xeen my first impression was that it felt like a kaizo romhack of the xeen games instead of a game in its own right
I mean, that's because it is a fan made mod in the first place.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Cardiovorax posted:

I disagree. MM6 is really, really boring to watch for much of the time. Dungeons are big, repetitive and largely empty of anything interesting except for giant piles of trash mobs. You would run out of things to talk about before you're even halfway through.
Welcome to part five of seven of my deep dive into the lore behind the Temple of Baa

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Bad for Twitch, maybe. But there's this newfangled thing called "cutting". You use this ability to cut stuff from your videos no-one wants to watch.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Libluini posted:

Bad for Twitch, maybe. But there's this newfangled thing called "cutting". You use this ability to cut stuff from your videos no-one wants to watch.
Gee, thank you for educating me, I've never heard of that before. :rolleyes:

But in all seriousness, if you're cutting enough to make MM6 interesting to watch as a video LP, you won't have much more left than five minutes of video for every 30 minutes of footage that you record. At that point, I think a screenshot LP is less effort to create and gets you better results as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Why not do a LP that's taken half-seriously and half-mocking the buggy and broken poo poo in the game? It's more material for the thread, more entertaining, and an opportunity to vent so you don't go insane. Bonus points for writing that fuckery into the narrative.