Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That seemed pretty bad, but maybe I just don't know enough about Jamacian culture. It did remind me of this bit from The real McCoy though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rEqLIMmOoY&t=550s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
£4.95 is a lot for a slice of hot chocolate fudge cake but half price is a no brainer thanks government

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've eaten too much :(

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Don't blame yourself, calzones are seductive as hell. I wish you a speedy recovery. xoxo

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Isomermaid posted:

Thanks for that photo of prince philip, I'm learning watercolour.

The sequel to Joker is coming along well.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

I'm absolutely demolishing a calzone right now that's only £4.25 courtesy of the government thanks government

today for lunch I had a mixed grill, £5 on Mondays, and then discounted against to £2.50 :gritin:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

This is worth a read because as with a lot of heinous labour poo poo it was right wing labour students who were largely responsible

https://twitter.com/AsaWinstanley/status/1297919848283070465?s=20

As with all bombshells like this in the UK, I expect it to be retweeted to like 700 people max and then never spoken of again. Like, even the UK's twitter game is bad. Boris Johnson being proven to be a time traveler and also Jack the Ripper will get 1000 likes but won't make the BBC.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Now you can have a rishi shite, half price.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Four months until Christmas, and it's gonna be loving hilarious this year.

What many people, like me, usually do every Christmas:
- Hop on a flight (or otherwise travel): no
- Spend a bunch of time indoors with other people: yeah nope
- Those people are, say, your parents, or other folks that 1) you care about and 2) are a bit old: no loving way

Just staying locked down at home then and I dunno, Zoom calls or something maybe with the folks. If they didn't get the plague yet. :shepicide:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i wonder if literally everyone zoom calling each other on christmas is going to be enough to break the uk internet

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Brand shiny new podsode for everyone to take their minds off the politics a bit.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1297971846730711040?s=20

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
If I couldn't go home for Xmas because of a fresh lockdown, I'd be juuuuust a tiny bit relieved ngl.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We all have to zoom call the queen and tell her how much we love her.

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

Angepain posted:

i wonder if literally everyone zoom calling each other on christmas is going to be enough to break the uk internet

No one will be zoom calling. Everyone will be home for Christmas, thank you very much. Boris' Christmas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he wanted to be traditional and british he could ban christmas.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I am so glad that my wife and I have now managed to forge expectations that Christmas is something we do, together, on our own, at home, in our pyjamas.

We will usually see each family once over the holidays, but gone are the days of trekking all the way up to scotland to sit and be uncomfortable for a week thanks be to gently caress.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'll be xmasing on my billionaire mate's super yacht, dunno about the rest of you.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Christmas has been a huge pain for me and my wife in the past. Her parents are divorced so that's two christmases, plus one for my parents, plus sometimes another one for my brother and his family (usually they are the same but not always), plus sometimes one for my wife's sister and partner for a maximum of 5 christmases in one season, which has happened. Sometimes the last one isn't until like, February. Of course it's nice to see everybody but can feel like a real slog.

Of course now we're in Canada it's actually less stressful as there's no expectation from family that we'll fly back for the season or anything, which is good, because I would hate travelling right at Christmas. Last year my wife's sister and partner came over here which was really nice. I imagine we'll have a quiet one this year, which'll be nice too. We might still cook a big dinner, though, cause we never do otherwise (though I guess there's a chance we'll go to some effort for Thanksgiving).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

calzones are seductive as hell

OwlFancier posted:

If he wanted to be traditional and british he could ban christmas.
That would give me very conflicting opinions on Boris.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

That would give me very conflicting opinions on Boris.

I feel like banning christmas, loving over the Irish, and also being a royalist is like, the worst of all possible cromwells.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bessantj posted:

That seemed pretty bad, but maybe I just don't know enough about Jamacian culture.]

Do you think that Jamaican culture includes being unable to count or spell? If so, then gently caress off. If not, then you shouldn't need to ask whether or not it was bad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like banning christmas, loving over the Irish, and also being a royalist is like, the worst of all possible cromwells.
Really depends on whether he locks Tony Blair inside a church and sets it on fire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Re: the BBC Jamaican thing, I thought this was a good contrast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTeVVmBuif8

Because the joke is like, that he's a stuck up knobhead.

I also enjoy the less obvious bits like how people laugh at the idea of being in a restaurant with waiters.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

ironically that famlam thing was probably the first all black cast tv thing i’ve seen for months if not years

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Angepain posted:

Several million games consoles, mobile phones, tablets, and other electronic devices downloading multi-dozen-gigabyte downloads when they're turned on at about 11 doesn't manage it, so probably not, but those Zoom calls are gonna be lovely quality even by Zoom standards.

(Seriously 23rd-27th is the busiest period on the internet all over the western world because of all those devices being powered on for the first time, with the outright peak coming around 2pm on the 25th, it's factored in to everything from network design to laying on extra staff to make sure things keep running. The only thing that comes even vaguely close is new iOS day. In the voice and SMS world 31st December/1st of Jan has it beaten, although depressingly for a few years reality-show finals nights beat both)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Because the joke is like, that he's a stuck up knobhead.
Also that he suffers from a thing that affects certain middle class West African people with professional qualifications, and probably a parent in some colonial legacy like the civil service or courts. A condition that causes you to be a chauvinistic rear end about many other Africans and also especially British African-Caribbeans, who are 'uneducated'.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lmao everyone is going to do Christmas as normal.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I haven't done Xmas for 26 years. When I lived in London then abroad it wasn't a big deal but now I live within a couple of miles of my sister who is obsessed with trying to do the perfect Xmas and a few miles from mother the emotional blackmail has already started for this year.
A couple of years ago my mother said 'you make it so awkward for people' and I said why? Everyone knows I don't celebrate Xmas, I've not done it for over 20 years, just because I live near now doesn't alter that. Just pretend I still live on Cairo.
(Every year without exception there are family blow ups at Xmas when people fail to live up to my sister's image of perfect Xmas. My sister is a control freak and it's definitely there is only one way and it's her way.)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

stev posted:

Lmao everyone is going to do Christmas as normal.

Inb4 the tabloids coin it: Coronamas

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Also that he suffers from a thing that affects certain middle class West African people with professional qualifications, and probably a parent in some colonial legacy like the civil service or courts. A condition that causes you to be a chauvinistic rear end about many other Africans and also especially British African-Caribbeans, who are 'uneducated'.

Though I also think that comes across pretty universally, rich kid from a rough area who went off to university cos his parents did well and thinks he's better than everyone else. It's a common experience even if the specifics differ.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

VideoGames posted:

I queued a perma.

In exchange, have this tweet that I meant to send to you last year and completely forgot about :

http://twitter.com/Miexriir/status/1196125444216520704?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Though I also think that comes across pretty universally, rich kid from a rough area who went off to university cos his parents did well and thinks he's better than everyone else. It's a common experience even if the specifics differ.
Yeah, there's a common experience, but I think on top of that there's the outsider experience of being a person who is maybe second or third generation African-Caribbean, already marginalized by race issues and aware of the legacy of colonialism, having some lawyer from Lagos instantly become more British than the Queen the minute they're around you.

It's similar energy to the rich kid from a rough area, but you can throw on top of that some :catstare: opinions like "West Africans are naturally intelligent and resourceful, but you don't want that in a slave, so they bred it out of them, that's why your modern Jamaican is content to sit around smoking dope."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's similar energy to the rich kid from a rough area, but you can throw on top of that some :catstare: opinions like "West Africans are naturally intelligent and resourceful, but you don't want that in a slave, so they bred it out of them, that's why your modern Jamaican is content to sit around smoking dope."

Normally you'd have to go to toby young for that kind of PhD level race science.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Wolfsbane posted:

In exchange, have this tweet that I meant to send to you last year and completely forgot about :

The full video is a gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1tkFZPGoO0

edit: oh my god also her presentation on Garfield on her channel from a few months back is Choice.

Angepain fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 24, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Normally you'd have to go to toby young for that kind of PhD level race science.
:omarcomin:, although I'm not sure that Toby would have anything positive to say about West Africans.

I'm not even sure what to call it. American parlance would have it as some kind of internalized racism, it's maybe a bit of that but more empire chauvinism of some kind. Also the desire to find someone else to poo poo on that's shared with the council estate rich kid. But it's enough of a trope that as soon as he opens with "excuse me, I'm from Lagos and have studied accountancy" everyone in the audience knows what's about to come.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it doesn't seem weird to me at all, cos I've seen people who do the same kind of thing even if not the same exact thing.

Which I think is part of what makes it good comedy, because it works on multiple levels for people with different experiences. The specifics might be especially funny to people with the specific background he's talking to/from but I would think anyone who isn't the sort of person being made fun of would get what's happening.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
A random bit of meta here, but I (and I'm sure you all) have noticed this thread has got even further off-topic/chat thread than usual, but I realise I'm not as irritated by this as I should be. I assume - from both here and Twitter - that this is because we've all reached a level of anger fatigue. There's just too much of everything going on out there, and sticking your head above the parapet right now is likely to get you yet another dose of BUT JEMBBLY CRBYN CAUSED ALL THIS BY MAKING ME VOTE STRAIGHT FASH from people who pretend to be on the right side of history, let alone the sheer loving toxicity of what passes for discourse once you push past the mushy centre into the actual right wing.

I hope this is all because we're all taking the time to do what we can on a local level (even if that's just ignoring everything for our own mental health) and regaining our strength for when we might be able to do something decent on a bigger stage. I know right now it doesn't feel like it, that we're done for and might as well enjoy the fireworks as 400 years of capitalism finally realises it ran off the edge of the cliff Wile E Coyote style, but there will be another chance, and we have to be ready to come out swinging when we get it.

All this is a way of excusing myself from the fact that - assuming the weather is nice enough for me to get some pics on Wednesday - there's another massively off-topic set of effortposts ready to be dumped here soon. Deep-level shelters in one, spook buildings (in the spy sense, not the paranormal or racist one - well actually yeah those two too, tbh) in the second, and at the request of someone who I completely forgot and who might not even have existed, the missing fourth social housing post covering non-council mass building. These have mostly kept me out of the thread an off Twitter for a week, to the advantage of us all, but now I'm bored with them so it's your turn.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Looking forward to more twisto effort posts.

And yeah, we still bring up news in here when appropriate, but given the little we can do, and the fact everyone's mental health is already stretched from social distancing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually noticed that you were having less of a radjie about it more than I noticed it was getting more off topic :v:

As always I don't actually have any objection to off topic and in fact encourage it because otherwise your brain will melt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A random bit of meta here, but I (and I'm sure you all) have noticed this thread has got even further off-topic/chat thread than usual

Yeah we're 4 years out from an election now, Tories have a huge majority, and Brexit is somewhat a sealed deal - or at least we can't do gently caress all about it.

Plus everything is just hosed generally. I'm talking to a therapist now about anxiety and she told me to "seriously consider how much news I'm consuming" which is probably smart.

In summary, yeah, we're all exhausted, it's nice to talk though in this little community we've got.