Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I was posting in the GBS George Floyd protests thread a few hours ago and said that American Exceptionalism and "Rugged Individualism" were toxic at their core and were major contributors to everything that the BLM movement was fighting against and some random chud poster immediately accused me of loving the Soviet Union, LOL

McCarthyism alive and well in 2020

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Finally watched this weeks episode. Interesting topic, but surprised they didn't bring up the tearing down of monuments of these racist historical figures as part of it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Astro7x posted:

Finally watched this weeks episode. Interesting topic, but surprised they didn't bring up the tearing down of monuments of these racist historical figures as part of it.

He has covered it previously.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/ACLUMN/status/1291142532848656394?s=19

Change is going well

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

For me, Daryl Hannah is and will always be Splash. Also that one movie where she's topless (it's set in Africa). I think that was her. But I also remember High Spirits. I wonder how badly it's held up.
Summer Lovers was in Greece if that's the one you mean.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

Summer Lovers was in Greece if that's the one you mean.

... No, that sounds like a "fun" movie that's "enjoyable" to watch. The one I'm talking about, and I had to look it up, is At Play in the Fields of the Lord.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I feel like this belongs here:

What if armando Iannucci directed the trump interview?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/07/friday-night-massacre-us-postal-service-postmaster-general-major-trump-donor-ousts

Trump's assault on the postal service continues

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Friendly reminder that the USPS was profitable for sixteen straight years until the GOP passed legislation in 2007 requiring it to fund pensions for 50 years. Even with that bullshit, the USPS has generated a profit in twenty out of the last forty years:

https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-history/pieces-of-mail-since-1789.htm

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Well yeah, we can't have a publicly funded program that functions well.

Bad for business.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

whos that broooown posted:

Well yeah, we can't have a publicly funded program that functions well.

Bad for business.

Which is why it's no surprise that the appointee that did the "Friday night massacre" is heavily involved in commercial carriers

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Friendly reminder that the USPS was profitable for sixteen straight years until the GOP passed legislation in 2007 requiring it to fund pensions for 50 years. Even with that bullshit, the USPS has generated a profit in twenty out of the last forty years:

What is even more awful how that bullshit legislation was passed unanimously

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's actually 75 years.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

The Postal Service is facing a number of issues, chief among them being that mail volume has dropped off a cliff. I think the prefunding storyline has gained a lot of traction because it puts forth an easy to follow story with a clear enemy, but it’s definitely not the whole story. If nothing else besides prefunding healthcare had been done differently, the postal service would still be underwater right now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

What is even more awful how that bullshit legislation was passed unanimously

For a very long time now, dismantling government programs that serve some positive purpose for society has been one of the tentpoles of the Republican party platform. They're so used to it, that I don't think they even wait for some lobbyist to figure out a way to profit off of the human suffering, they just reflexively demolish it and expect a reward.

And for also a long time now, it seems like the galaxy brain strategy the Democratic leadership has for countering that has been...ceding ground on all of it in some attempt to rob Republicans of the fundamental basis of their opposition? I don't really get it. I remember reading somewhere that the last of the old New Deal progressive democrats got killed off under Clinton in order to accomplish...something. Maybe balancing the budget? That'd be the sort of totally pointless sacrifice of the public good that the party leadership has really centered itself on.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Baronash posted:

The Postal Service is facing a number of issues, chief among them being that mail volume has dropped off a cliff. I think the prefunding storyline has gained a lot of traction because it puts forth an easy to follow story with a clear enemy, but it’s definitely not the whole story. If nothing else besides prefunding healthcare had been done differently, the postal service would still be underwater right now.

It was still profitable, even after years of declines post-:911:. Subtract the required-by-law additional payments from the P&L and the books balance. The USPS was basically one of the most profitable companies of the 2000's AND employs >600,000 people with stable careers.
:shrug:

Now, one can also argue that it provides a critical public infrastructure service and it shouldn't matter if it does cost money (I would), but that point is moot. For now, there is more than enough margin to continue service for decades to come, and I would posit that volume will stabilize, or even increase, with mail-order shipping becoming common.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If the Democrats get the trifecta in November they NEED to make the Postal Service part of the government and institute postal banking again but I'm not holding my breath.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The democrats are also committed to destroying the state.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It was still profitable, even after years of declines post-:911:. Subtract the required-by-law additional payments from the P&L and the books balance. The USPS was basically one of the most profitable companies of the 2000's AND employs >600,000 people with stable careers.
:shrug:

Now, one can also argue that it provides a critical public infrastructure service and it shouldn't matter if it does cost money (I would), but that point is moot. For now, there is more than enough margin to continue service for decades to come, and I would posit that volume will stabilize, or even increase, with mail-order shipping becoming common.

Uh no, it's dead.

https://t.co/gtCQfLOz1d?amp=1

Even if the Democrats get back in power (which seems unlikely since the primary reason Trump is doing this is to create mass voter suppression and the ancient mummies in charge of the DNC are just letting him do it while clucking their tongues at how uncouth it is), the last 30 years of American history suggests they won't actually undo the damage to the infrastructure, they'll just immediately treat it as a new intractable status quo.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Groovelord Neato posted:

If the Democrats get the trifecta in November they NEED to make the Postal Service part of the government and institute postal banking again but I'm not holding my breath.

That would be nice, but it assumes a level of unified vision and a progressive agenda the Democrats do not have. Assuming we're not all in MAGA concentration camps after November, it's going to suck how unambitious and pro-corporate the "radical Leftist" agenda of Biden-Harris is actually going to be. I seriously hope I'm wrong.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

... No, that sounds like a "fun" movie that's "enjoyable" to watch. The one I'm talking about, and I had to look it up, is At Play in the Fields of the Lord.
Oh yeah that's a wildly different movie.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Ever since I found out Dan O'Brien was writing for the show I can't not hear his stuff in a lot these episodes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What does he say after the q rap, or qrap?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

I think it was "Boss" but I may have misheard.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Bars

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I somehow feel the need to speak up for Danbury because legally I was born there, although I've only been to the city a few times as a full human that can remember things.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SlothfulCobra posted:

I somehow feel the need to speak up for Danbury because legally I was born there, although I've only been to the city a few times as a full human that can remember things.

https://youtu.be/W1fMfPbAgX8

Don't worry, Danbury responded

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Have to say, buying personalized bricks that's to be used in a border wall is a great way of letting future generations know that you were fascists.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why not just call it an Unconventional. It sounds marginally more dumb but far less cliche

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Alhazred posted:

Have to say, buying personalized bricks that's to be used in a border wall is a great way of letting future generations know that you were fascists.

Yeah, John Oliver's point about this being the perfect monument to Trump is apt. Something as stately as a conventional monument would sanitize how hideously crass and racist everything about him is.

It makes sense that the literal building blocks of his wall are also the accumulation of all the racism and sexism and sociopathic arrogance of his followers. "Thicc Latinas won't get deported" is pitch perfect, really, in how efficiently it summarizes Trump's brand: he doesn't stand for any specific ideals, just biases. There's no philosophy behind his anti-immigrant stance, really, just a visceral disregard for the lives of anyone different than him, unless there's a way they can be exploited. (In this specific instance, as sex objects...which is *chef's kiss* in how it bridges the racism with sexism in just a few words.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was sorting my work mail today and discovered that someone in my town bought and used the LWT stamps as I came across a Nutterbutter one.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Show is off until Jan. 27th? Man, that is gonna be a pretty lurid before and after picture no matter how the next few months unfold.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
September 27th.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

September 27th.

E: :argh:

That RNC montage sure was something.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Stare-Out posted:

September 27th.

E: :argh:

That RNC montage sure was something.

The RNC was something in general. I have only seen some clips here and there but it seems like it was insane.

God then being off for a month is going to be nuts, especially with how fast things are going anymore.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
For such a passionate segment, they really didn't give that much information on the events. Only the barest of basics.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Can I just say that the 3 year old from Dansbury yelling at John Oliver was great?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

One Nut Wonder posted:

September 27th.

Ohkay, that makes a lot more sense!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

For such a passionate segment, they really didn't give that much information on the events. Only the barest of basics.

I'm impressed that show wasn't just John Oliver endlessly screaming into the void.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Djarum posted:

The RNC was something in general. I have only seen some clips here and there but it seems like it was insane.

God then being off for a month is going to be nuts, especially with how fast things are going anymore.

I think that's why they're doing it. It's going to be a crazy month leading up to the election and they probably want to have a little time off to rest and get ready.