Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:psyduck:

https://twitter.com/comkev8/status/1297650718497746944

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
ever notice how it's always white people with the "all anime is bad" takes

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

white people and the Japanese

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

a classic pairing really

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hawowanlawow posted:

Worst ska band I’ve ever seen live I tell you what

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Data Graham posted:

I've got some Quora content coming in hot

:stare: ok neighbor of the year

Do you keep your milk of human kindness out in the garage too

Unless the neighbor was selling toilets or cabinets or some poo poo at the yard sale does this guy realize that when you rent the furniture and stuff usually doesn't come with the place?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Waterbed Wendy posted:

a classic pairing really

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It is actually pretty hard for me to come up with even one right wing example, surely they exist? I probably have poo poo taste, but every piece of Japanese media I've seen had "collectivism beats individualism" as an underlying theme

trap sprung etc

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

ant man has since deleted this take

I see that screenshot and all I can read it as is "cop cars are worth more than cop lives", which would be a blistering take from someone like that

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Ruffian Price posted:

It is actually pretty hard for me to come up with even one right wing example, surely they exist? I probably have poo poo taste, but every piece of Japanese media I've seen had "collectivism beats individualism" as an underlying theme

trap sprung etc

oh there are definitely explicitly fash anime out there, in addition to ones that "just" have mounds of unexamined racial/gender issues

but the density of it isn't any more or less than any other medium in the world of mass culture

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
As a franchise Gundam seems to deal with fascism a lot. As I recall they're usually pretty against it, but I'm sure one of them must have stumbled its way into an endorsement at some point.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ruffian Price posted:

trap sprung etc

There are a couple I can think of - Axis Powers Hetalia was pretty huge for a while, and Attack on Titan turned out to be anti-semitic fascist propaganda, for example - but yeah, by and large, anime isn't any more pro-fascist than any other medium.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

There are a couple I can think of - Axis Powers Hetalia was pretty huge for a while, and Attack on Titan turned out to be anti-semitic fascist propaganda, for example - but yeah, by and large, anime isn't any more pro-fascist than any other medium.

?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Here you go.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Oh, you just mean Polygon.

E: to clarify, I'm wary of Polygon as a source in general. Not because of any perceived SJWness or whatever. I just think don't think they're very good at fact checking stuff based on what I've seen from them in the past.

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Aug 25, 2020

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

christmas boots posted:

Oh, you just mean Polygon.

I appreciate you not actually reading the article, thanks for providing content for the thread. :tipshat:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I appreciate you not actually reading the article, thanks for providing content for the thread. :tipshat:

Ok.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
GATE was a fairly popular anime about the Japanese military and is blatantly propagandistic. You'd have to be somewhat familiar with the politics surrounding Japan's SDF and recent controversy around Japanese nationalism but in the show the military uses a portal to invade and occupy a medieval-fantasy realm. They declare this area to be technically part of Japan so that they don't violate article 9 of their constitution. One of the villains of the show is a politician who questions whether Japan has a right to do this and is verbally owned marine-vs-college professor style. She was apparently based off a real life center-left representative.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I read the article and he was right not to bother with it. It's dogshit that uses a handful of plot points that could be applied to tons of stuff, such as "The military isn't evil and incompetent."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

chitoryu12 posted:

I read the article and he was right not to bother with it. It's dogshit that uses a handful of plot points that could be applied to tons of stuff, such as "The military isn't evil and incompetent."

It is a fantasy show after all.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

chitoryu12 posted:

I thought part of it was the mangaka went full mask-off in his personal life, but I'm not really invested in Attack on Titan at all so I don't actually know what went down. My impression was the creator said a bunch of stuff and it made fans go ooooooh about various plot points that suddenly seemed a lot more uncomfortable with that context.

EDIT: Now that I'm trying to actually look into it though I'm not finding much definitive.

PetraCore has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Aug 25, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PetraCore posted:

I thought part of it was the mangaka went full mask-off in his personal life, but I'm not really invested in Attack on Titan at all so I don't actually know what went down. My impression was the creator said a bunch of stuff and it made fans go ooooooh about various plot points that suddenly seemed a lot more uncomfortable with that context.

He did say one of the characters was based on a Japanese general who I guess is revered as a hero in Japan and thought of as a war criminal in Korea and China, then when that blew up he apparently said the Japanese atrocities committed against Korean and Chinese civilians weren't that bad.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

There's some valid points (I had no idea about Isayama's views outside the work) but I'd still make a distinction between a work containing fascism and being fascist. After all, the fantasy Jews are the protagonists and they spend a large chunk of the story fighting their own military (article's author claims the opposite, comments imply that he was basing it on Twitter rants???), you're absolutely meant to empathize both with them and the German citizens who never embraced Nazism analog later on

the symbolism itself is brow-raising at best but the article's clearly working backwards from its conclusion, it is not good imo
now I have provided the content :tipshat:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Fullmetal Alchemist is the one that got so weirdly fascist (or maybe Zionist, I don't recall) that they made a second anime adaptation just to make it less fascist, right?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah "attack on titan is facist" is one of those things that seems true if you only take a glance at it but don't look into it any more than that, which helped it spread as the narrative online.

Cleretic posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist is the one that got so weirdly fascist (or maybe Zionist, I don't recall) that they made a second anime adaptation just to make it less fascist, right?

The first FMA anime stopped following the manga after a certain point, the 2nd anime is a more faithful adaptation of the story in the manga.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ruffian Price posted:

There's some valid points (I had no idea about Isayama's views outside the work) but I'd still make a distinction between a work containing fascism and being fascist. After all, the fantasy Jews are the protagonists and they spend a large chunk of the story fighting their own military (article's author claims the opposite, comments imply that he was basing it on Twitter rants???), you're absolutely meant to empathize both with them and the German citizens who never embraced Nazism analog later on

the symbolism itself is brow-raising at best but the article's clearly working backwards from its conclusion, it is not good imo
now I have provided the content :tipshat:

I appreciate the commentary. I read the first volume and have only ever seen that article posted uncritically by people whose opinions I trust, so I trusted their opinions on that too. Thanks for the clarification!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Anime on Social Media: the gently caress is that California roll

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Cleretic posted:

Nah, the second adaptation was made because the first made some plot changes that wound up becoming irreconcilable with where the manga was going.

And... Well, it’s also highly critical of the in-universe military across both versions, and makes it abundantly clear that they’ve been committing ethnic cleansing. Hell, Roy’s ultimate end goal is to rearrange things enough after he takes leadership of the military that he and everyone else who participated in the worst of it are tried as war criminals, instead of being lauded as national heroes.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

CTE is a Hell of a thing...

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1298071937336270848?s=19

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Attack on Titan is pro-fascist in the same way that Starship Troopers* is.

*Am I referring to the book, or the movie? You decide.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Regalingualius posted:

Nah, the second adaptation was made because the first made some plot changes that wound up becoming irreconcilable with where the manga was going.

And... Well, it’s also highly critical of the in-universe military across both versions, and makes it abundantly clear that they’ve been committing ethnic cleansing. Hell, Roy’s ultimate end goal is to rearrange things enough after he takes leadership of the military that he and everyone else who participated in the worst of it are tried as war criminals, instead of being lauded as national heroes.

drat, then what am I thinking of? I know there's an anime that was basically redone because the first one got weirdly fascist (or some other similarly crap conservative niche). I could've sworn it was FMA.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

90% of anime is somewhere on the Will-To-Power spectrum, where the hero wins because he Wants It More and Refuses To Give Up and Uses His Natural Gifts to overcome undeserving and treacherous adversaries. And then there's all the shows produced by the JDSF to serve as propaganda. And that's not even counting creepy sex poo poo, gender essentialism, lebensraum fantasies...

I'm sure that any of us could write a similarly disturbing assessment about the popular action/romance media of our home countries. Also consumption is never prior to ethics, even when it's media consumption.

e: i judge the poo poo out of people who watch those shows where the warplanes are little girls tho

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm not sure if it's out and out fascist but they do only meet Hitler in the first anime, not the second one that's more like the manga.

Also alchemy may or may not have been powered by the holocaust. I think that happened.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Edit: beaten.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Attack on Titan started out like an anime version of The Walking Dead, but the plot twist partway through was the main characters finding out that they were the true master race and everything that was being sent at them was the rest of the world trying to hold them back.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ruffian Price posted:

trap sprung etc

Apart from the actual right-wing analogies posted above, (I don't watch those cartoons so I dunno how actually fascist they are)

A take I have heard is that "Grave of the Fireflies" is right-wing and problematic because it shows the American planes bombing Japan as a bad thing causing death and destruction instead of a good thing spreading freedom and saving American lives. So therefore all Anime hates freedom and loves Nazis.

This is not a take I believe in, by the way.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Herschel's always been a bit ... odd.

Though he's from the backwoods, rural south, he may have been reasonably protected from its racial horrors. Walker would have attended a segregated school for a year or two at most. (Walker was born in 1962. School integration in Johnson County would have probably started in 1966ish and HEW ordered Georgia to completely end dual school systems in 1970.) In high school, he became the most recruited football player in the nation. Recruiters moved to his dead-rear end hometown for months to try to sign him. Recruiting rules were even sketchier then, so he and his family would have been treated like royalty.

Walker became a legend in his first ever college football game. Everybody's catered to him his whole adult life. Adding to him likely being sheltered, Walker was interested in college in being a police officer. Since he was 16 years old, Herschel Walker has rarely wanted for anything and everyone has tossed him money every step of the way.

Walker's also said he's suffered from DID since he was a young adult.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BrigadierSensible posted:

Apart from the actual right-wing analogies posted above, (I don't watch those cartoons so I dunno how actually fascist they are)

A take I have heard is that "Grave of the Fireflies" is right-wing and problematic because it shows the American planes bombing Japan as a bad thing causing death and destruction instead of a good thing spreading freedom and saving American lives. So therefore all Anime hates freedom and loves Nazis.

This is not a take I believe in, by the way.

I’m pretty sure that was on these forums. It may have even been itt

It definitely rings a bell I know that much

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Attack on Titan has the War Movie Problem where the characters are put in horrible situations because it's dramatic and lets them shine out of the poo poo that's been piled on them, and we gasp and cheer, and you have to ask, isn't this romanticizing the horrors it's depicting?

I was long of the opinion it did, but kept reading, and now I think it does not. It's almost finished, so you'll soon hear from people's hot takes whether or not it sticks the landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Kobe taught us how to score.