Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://i.imgur.com/ESPyDRj.mp4

RAP MUSIC, MY DROOGS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zefiel posted:

I'm fairly sure you can make a neat living just orbiting Ray

I think Cornelius and Teodor both figured this out at some point. I remember Connie explicitly mentioning in his blog that he felt a little bad about fleecing Ray at pool all the time, but, what's one to do?

Safety Dance posted:

Beef took a "me day" and dropped $1303.46 before tip, before 10 am. He might not be rich, but he's got a little money.

Look at how many underwear Beef bought. Does he - does he just wear one a day and toss it? DOES ROAST BEEF NOT WASH HE GODDAMN UNDERPANTS

(actually given his experiences in laundromats I could kinda understand that)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Phy posted:

I think Cornelius and Teodor both figured this out at some point. I remember Connie explicitly mentioning in his blog that he felt a little bad about fleecing Ray at pool all the time, but, what's one to do?

Look at how many underwear Beef bought. Does he - does he just wear one a day and toss it? DOES ROAST BEEF NOT WASH HE GODDAMN UNDERPANTS

Also that's really expensive underwear at 3 bucks a pair, if he was just buying Hanes or Fruit of The Loom he could have gotten a year's supply for like a fifth of what he paid there

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Phy posted:

the waves of the totally a thing that character would do joke crashing against the hard and unforgiving shore of what would this actually look like or entail in practice

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Phy posted:

If pressed, he'd probably toss off something about how the newest thinking coming out of top perineal research tanks indicate that repeating underwear usage causes mad buildup of impacted sebum in the forcemeat follicles.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Phy posted:

I go back and forth about Teodor on this. He's clearly benefited from the Ray ATM at times (baseball cards, etc.), but he's the main cast member who's always broke and scrounging for rent money. So I'm not sure if he's making the Ray Orbit money but still living beyond his means, or if he's usually telling himself, "nah, I'm better than them, I don't need to mooch off Ray, I can work for my money," and then just... not doing that. Because in my head, Teodor is definitely the kind of character who would believe that kind of thing about himself despite the empirical evidence otherwise.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

disaster pastor posted:

I go back and forth about Teodor on this. He's clearly benefited from the Ray ATM at times (baseball cards, etc.), but he's the main cast member who's always broke and scrounging for rent money. So I'm not sure if he's making the Ray Orbit money but still living beyond his means, or if he's usually telling himself, "nah, I'm better than them, I don't need to mooch off Ray, I can work for my money," and then just... not doing that. Because in my head, Teodor is definitely the kind of character who would believe that kind of thing about himself despite the empirical evidence otherwise.

I figure it's a combination of being bad with money and not having consistent work

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't like wearing factory fresh clothes, I always wash them after purchase. There's something about the production dust and chemicals that makes them feel weird. A year with only unwashed factory boxers would drive me nuts. But perhaps not that nuts.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

isn't the whole reason Beef is on that shopping bender because he got sick of working on Ray's TV show? it stands to reason he'd be a little extra-flush just then

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

One thing worth noting about Beef is that when Molly "leaves" him for a bit and he realizes how poo poo his living conditions are, he is able to move out on the spot. This implies that he has some decent amount of money but was mentally trapped into living with his abusive grandmother.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
he moved out to ray's poolhouse. I don't think ray was really on him for first last and deposit

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Gnoman posted:

One thing worth noting about Beef is that when Molly "leaves" him for a bit and he realizes how poo poo his living conditions are, he is able to move out on the spot. This implies that he has some decent amount of money but was mentally trapped into living with his abusive grandmother.

"I live in your pool house now. hi."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

disaster pastor posted:

Teodor also seems to enjoy marijuana and pays a very high rate for it from Little Nephew.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Teodor would make more if he wasn't such a ditherer.

T mopes around all day, and only occasionally grifts Ray for cash.
I think from a lack of realization that he could, than from any sort of moral stance.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Isn't there something about how Ray always has six hundred dollars between the couch cushions? Like that's a Ray sum of money to have lying around the place? But I might be misremembering and it might even be text in one of the books rather than a strip.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Isn't there something about how Ray always has six hundred dollars between the couch cushions? Like that's a Ray sum of money to have lying around the place? But I might be misremembering and it might even be text in one of the books rather than a strip.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05032007

He has seven million dollars hidden under a Raiders hat, which is hidden under a larger Raiders hat.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Johnny Aztec posted:

"I live in your pool house now. hi."

Moving out is more than just rent, unless Ray's feeding him constantly. This sounds unwise, as Ray's likely to wander off in an alcoholic haze.

Fair point - I forgot that's where he went.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Deathlove posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05032007

He has seven million dollars hidden under a Raiders hat, which is hidden under a larger Raiders hat.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03282006

Ray also has nine thousand in the Fight-Tite Elastoband in his hat.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

CannonFodder posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03282006

Ray also has nine thousand in the Fight-Tite Elastoband in his hat.

Is Dolmads
Is Wrapps
Is Gyro
Is Lotto

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I swear I remember a short series of strips where Roast Beef accidentally stumbles onto a scheme that nets him gently caress You Money for the rest of his life, but he's so socially unprepared for this that it almost destroys him emotionally. Ray recognized this and offers to make the problem go away, but also makes sure that while Beef's bank account will always be small, it will never be zero, and he'd always be able to get anything he really wanted.

Am I misremembering?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

A.o.D. posted:

I swear I remember a short series of strips where Roast Beef accidentally stumbles onto a scheme that nets him gently caress You Money for the rest of his life, but he's so socially unprepared for this that it almost destroys him emotionally. Ray recognized this and offers to make the problem go away, but also makes sure that while Beef's bank account will always be small, it will never be zero, and he'd always be able to get anything he really wanted.

Am I misremembering?

It was when he made the "Cards for Dudes" arc.

Starting here: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04292008

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Johnny Aztec posted:

It was when he made the "Cards for Dudes" arc.

Starting here: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04292008

It starts a few earlier but yes, that's it! Thank you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

No home for scared people was created. Ray has many flaws but he takes care of his dogg.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

A.o.D. posted:

It starts a few earlier but yes, that's it! Thank you.

Yes, sorry you are right.
it starts here http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04242008

edit: Man, re-reading some of this stuff from 2008. It's still good, but theres some phrases and word choices that makes me go "Yikes!".
Didn't lift an eyebrow 12 years ago , though.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 24, 2020

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
That bit about drawing your favorite maglite is peak Onstead.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Maglites were only popular with guards/Police because it was hefty enough to use as a weapon.*
As a flashlight, they were lacking. I did see that you can purchase LED conversion kits for maglites.

*That is, a weapon they could use,without having to fill out more paperwork

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

Maglites were only popular with guards/Police because it was hefty enough to use as a weapon.*
As a flashlight, they were lacking. I did see that you can purchase LED conversion kits for maglites.

*That is, a weapon they could use,without having to fill out more paperwork

The novel version of The Godfather has what's probably the greatest example of this concept, when one of the characters caves in a man's skull with one

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

She is a hard-core lady

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

She'll do it, too

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

My favorite part of this storyline is nominating Tony Hawk as his VP.

Who has "kicked rear end for 20 years without having to return into obvious-style born again Christianity ".

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

YouTube, YouTube, on the Dell, who’s a dude who’s bad as hell...

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Lord knows I haven't clapped since I saw Grace Jones blow up in that movie.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My favorite part of this storyline is nominating Tony Hawk as his VP.

Who has "kicked rear end for 20 years without having to return into obvious-style born again Christianity ".

~12 years now since that comic was published, and Tony Hawk is still kicking rear end. Also 'obvious-style Christianity' is one of my favourite achewoodisms.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

robot roll call posted:

What the gently caress is that ladys problem with Grace Jones

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Daktar posted:

~12 years now since that comic was published, and Tony Hawk is still kicking rear end. Also 'obvious-style Christianity' is one of my favourite achewoodisms.

Tony Hawk’s twitter and YouTube are the part of the Internet I go to when I want there to be a zero percent chance of getting mad about something.

Also thirding the love for “obvious style born again Christianity” being a great descriptor.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
After doing particularly well in a videogame, I proclaimed to a friend I was Pro Ice.

That means something different now...

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

What the gently caress is that ladys problem with Grace Jones

listen ill forgive a lot of stuff but im not on board with anyone who has that kind of problem with grace jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

robot roll call posted:

RAYMOND! Do not defend vans! I did not raise you low-class!