Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I think this forum is run pretty well but I am mostly a lurker and I never get what exactly people are hinting at when they criticise mods. I had a look at QCS based on a previous post and it's just even more people hinting at stuff I don't get so now I'm more confused and also drunk.

Sup out of the loop buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

snip

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 25, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edit: took the conversation to PMs.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 25, 2020

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

There's like maybe a dozen posters cumulatively making under 10 posts a day in the mma threads these days so really we don't need a ton of moderation these days (which I mean for real and not in the 'we self moderate' sense people have said before), but I haven't noticed any problems during JRu's break so I would say that means the IKs probably did their jobs well, so good job to you all

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

There's no easy way to ask a question like this but I'd like to do it anyways. Has the idea been thrown around, or is it possible to replace Junpei Hyde as moderator with CJ2 or another vetted poster? This has nothing to do with her qualities as a poster. Similar to CJ2 I enjoy her posting whenever I see it, but unlike CJ2 I think she's done a very poor job of moderator. My reasoning is essentially that until the issues earlier this year with everyone jacking off to every wrestler, she was basically absent, except to make Horny Jokes. Whatever, mods don't have to be super active posters necessarily, but during the discussions (which I felt were productive for this forum and the moderation of them) she said many times she'd keep better tabs, be more involved. Until the mafia game, which has been fun as a spectator but hardly indicative of a normal thread here, she was essentially a ghost again.

While barely posting in the forum you mod isn't like a disqualification, I also think her moderation choices have been really rotten. Nearly every time the buttons have been used, the community pushed back on the decision. Examples: the MRT/WSAE stuff from a couple of weeks ago, this whole ordeal, and some judgment lapses that don't apply to this subforum specifically. I don't fault anyone for making mistakes. I just think after so long, when you're still having to say, you know... "gah I really goofed it. I need to do better" and you hear that ten different times, I begin to lose trust in their mod capabilities. This is all of course just my personal opinion. I don't have any ill will towards her as a human being or as a fellow poster. Observations from a stinker.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly put. Seconded.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

yea ok posted:

There's no easy way to ask a question like this but I'd like to do it anyways. Has the idea been thrown around, or is it possible to replace Junpei Hyde as moderator with CJ2 or another vetted poster? This has nothing to do with her qualities as a poster. Similar to CJ2 I enjoy her posting whenever I see it, but unlike CJ2 I think she's done a very poor job of moderator. My reasoning is essentially that until the issues earlier this year with everyone jacking off to every wrestler, she was basically absent, except to make Horny Jokes. Whatever, mods don't have to be super active posters necessarily, but during the discussions (which I felt were productive for this forum and the moderation of them) she said many times she'd keep better tabs, be more involved. Until the mafia game, which has been fun as a spectator but hardly indicative of a normal thread here, she was essentially a ghost again.

While barely posting in the forum you mod isn't like a disqualification, I also think her moderation choices have been really rotten. Nearly every time the buttons have been used, the community pushed back on the decision. Examples: the MRT/WSAE stuff from a couple of weeks ago, this whole ordeal, and some judgment lapses that don't apply to this subforum specifically. I don't fault anyone for making mistakes. I just think after so long, when you're still having to say, you know... "gah I really goofed it. I need to do better" and you hear that ten different times, I begin to lose trust in their mod capabilities. This is all of course just my personal opinion. I don't have any ill will towards her as a human being or as a fellow poster. Observations from a stinker.
I love Junpei and J-Ru to death and they're only guilty of not being Always Online. I'm just projecting that the reasons their moderation has been in question recently is because they both have lives outside of SA and just skim through the forums and react when there's a bunch of reports on a particular thread and read maybe the last page or two to catch up and act based on what they're seeing in that context.

There's bad faith posters on SA but there's probably a lot more bad faith reports which muddy the waters. I know I'm guilty of and the subject to both. I have the chronic online syndrome too but when I come back 10 hours later to a thread with 300 new posts there's no way I'm going to read all that poo poo, and busier people like J-Ru and Junpei are probably coming back to 2k+ new posts in a thread.

General forum conduct should be don't be an rear end in a top hat but people hold grudges here for years and once they learn how lenient a mod might be they just skirt the edge constantly until they run someone off the forums

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I don't think there's really an easy solution to modding or IKing this place that will leave everyone happy, and that's not something I say comfortably. The reality of the situation is 1) Jerusalem's on a different timezone/country than most of our userbase during the bulk of the hours, 2) Junpei's mod of at least one other forum, 3) the MMA IKs almost always stick to browsing MMA/boxing/grappling threads, and 4) I've been balancing my time when not on here with looking for a job, which is progressively taking more time (and will obviously take even more time away from being on FI if successful)

Everyone has gaps in time and things that take attention away, even briefly, from FI's situations. I sincerely believe everyone is doing, or trying to do, their best with that in mind. It could be better, and I've been the first to say I think I suck/am doing a bad job at this (and I'm very blown away at the contrary response thus far :stare: wtf) so I definitely know it could be better in general and from me, but I really do think we're all trying

I think gaps could potentially be plugged up with another mod in addition to it all, but again, that's assuming there's someone who has the time, timezone, and focus, and idk how you really begin sorting that out without basically starting someone from scratch. Just transferring another current mod to double duty risks at least one of the same conflicts Junpei had, which (along with Jerusalem's vacation) was part of why I was brought on in the first place as IK to help lighten the load

All of that is to say all possibilities should be considered, but I don't think there's a quick and easy solution that is going to happen and also end up being completely liked

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 25, 2020

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I personally disagree that the only mistakes they have committed have been "Having A Life".

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

I don't think there's really an easy solution to modding or IKing this place that will leave everyone happy, and that's not something I say comfortably. The reality of the situation is 1) Jerusalem's on a different timezone/country than most of our userbase during the bulk of the hours, 2) Junpei's mod of at least one other forum, 3) the MMA IKs almost always stick to browsing MMA/boxing/grappling threads, and 4) I've been balancing my time when not on here with looking for a job, which is progressively taking more time (and will obviously take even more time away from being on FI if successful)

Everyone has gaps in time and things that take attention away, even briefly, from FI's situations. I sincerely believe everyone is doing, or trying to do, their best with that in mind. It could be better, and I've been the first to say I think I suck/am doing a bad job at this (and I'm very blown away at the contrary response thus far :stare: wtf) so I definitely know it could be better in general and from me, but I really do think we're all trying

I think gaps could potentially be plugged up with another mod in addition to it all, but again, that's assuming there's someone who has the time, timezone, and focus, and idk how you really begin sorting that out without basically starting someone from scratch. Just transferring another current mod to double duty risks at least one of the same conflicts Junpei had, which (along with Jerusalem's vacation) was part of why I was brought on in the first place as IK to help lighten the load

I think you’re doing a good job. I have no real complaints about any of the IK’s or Mods, but I don’t think adding a third would be overkill.

I think like almost all the people who cause problems and fights or whatever here have left at this point. We had that weird guy the other day having some kind of break down or something but it’s chill now.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Right. I don't want my post to come off like, oh this will solve everything! Well, really it's not like there's too many problems to even be solved lol. I just would prefer moderators who are active in the subforum they mod, and who also don't consistently make the wrong decision. That's blunter than I'd like to be about it, but it goes beyond just being in a different time zone for me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cj2 i love your energy here but i do not think the solution is for the wrestlehut to have as many moderators as c-spam

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
3 or 4 mods at most

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Someone give me the power to do the needful.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
there should be 6 wrestling mods

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

two mods per promotion. i will reluctantly take the helm of TNA mod.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
no wrestling mod all mma mods and one boxing mod

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

All of that is to say all possibilities should be considered, but I don't think there's a quick and easy solution that is going to happen and also end up being completely liked

Yeah, Junpei basically took on being a mod here as a favor to help lighten the load a little, since they're already a mod in another subforum but posted regularly here to. I really appreciate that, and when they make a mistake they own it which I think is a good thing. There have also been a ton of probations by them that go uncommented on because they're just sensible, reasonable and correct decisions - I do wanna stress that since I think claiming almost every modding decision they make is wrong is a bit of hyperbole.

CJ2, Mekchu and Brut coming on as IKs has helped a lot too. As CJ2 says, nobody is going to be a perfect solution, the best we can do is fill the gaps and cover as much as we can. End of the day, all I really wanna do here is shoot the poo poo talking wrestling with you all, and the modding side of things is purely about trying to make sure that can happen with as little disruption as possible.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
i don't know how to articulate myself in a way that won't hurt people's feelings so i just want to say i generally agree with what yea ok and niennunb are saying

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think there have been some incredibly foolish and wrong probations that have happened in the recent past that should not go unaccounted for.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

A wise QCS poster once said that moderating is not a reward and stepping down not a punishment. I don't know if something or nothing is going to happen but I hope this mindset can be prevalent on the baby planet we have together. I'm glad that specific issues were brought up by yea ok, a little underwhelmed that they were ignored with generalized unrelated responses, and hoping to be friends with the powerful people whoever they may be.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, Junpei basically took on being a mod here as a favor to help lighten the load a little, since they're already a mod in another subforum but posted regularly here to. I really appreciate that, and when they make a mistake they own it which I think is a good thing. There have also been a ton of probations by them that go uncommented on because they're just sensible, reasonable and correct decisions - I do wanna stress that since I think claiming almost every modding decision they make is wrong is a bit of hyperbole.

CJ2, Mekchu and Brut coming on as IKs has helped a lot too. As CJ2 says, nobody is going to be a perfect solution, the best we can do is fill the gaps and cover as much as we can. End of the day, all I really wanna do here is shoot the poo poo talking wrestling with you all, and the modding side of things is purely about trying to make sure that can happen with as little disruption as possible.

all of that aside, who is going to be the MLW mod

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

JOHN CENA posted:

all of that aside, who is going to be the MLW mod

mlw is dead

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
CJ2 is a great moral compass, willing to own up to their mistakes and explain why a probation happened and would make a great mod IMO, but beyond that what does PSP need? We've already proven that we can't self-moderate. We've had both lax moderation that lets really awful poo poo happen far too long and strict moderation that gives sixers without warning or explanations

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

That's the mod's job, right? To determine when self-moderation doesn't work? Of course this all comes down to each person's philosophy, at the end of the day it's an arbitrary cut-off as to when intervention is necessary. I've been so ticked recently (online-ticked, I promise I'm not raging at my cats or anything) because my arbitrary cutoff point has been different the last like 10 times intervention has happened. The latest being why this thread is even open again, because people pushing back were told, "hey, it happened. shut up now" in nicer words. This has nothing to do with my earlier posts, but rather just a reply to you. :)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

CJ2 is a great moral compass, willing to own up to their mistakes and explain why a probation happened and would make a great mod IMO, but beyond that what does PSP need? We've already proven that we can't self-moderate. We've had both lax moderation that lets really awful poo poo happen far too long and strict moderation that gives sixers without warning or explanations

i mean that just makes a stronger case for making cj2 a full on moderator but that is Just My Opinion.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Every mod should have to undergo a quarterly review conducted by top posters

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Didn't J-Ru say they were gonna step down as mod before this whole Lowtax poo poo happened and decided to push it back until everything's sorted? Presumably whenever that happens CJ2 would takeover from him (assuming he's ok with doing so)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

JOHN CENA posted:

cj2 i love your energy here but i do not think the solution is for the wrestlehut to have as many moderators as c-spam

I absolutely don't think we should have 10 mods and 10 IKs or anything like that. I personally think two of each would have sufficed fine in a good situation, obviously even one of each could work and has worked in a subforum. I'm definitely not the best at wording things right, I think that's another reason I suck at this, and I've spent a while typing and retyping this trying to figure out how to word this properly but I guess I was just trying to say there's stuff for each of us causing us to have gaps, to not have complete focus and pay proper attention and respect to immediate situations that come up (and as NienNunb pointed out I already hosed up right out the gate with handling one of those basically my first week, that was inexcusable even with my apologies and I definitely need to do better about that when I'm here while I'm here). But immediate situations Have come up often this year. Often enough that that's probably not going to end well long-term if that continues to be the go-to strategy for us, unintentionally or not. And in our current state, maybe having one more available body, who that ideally wouldn't be the case for, wouldn't be the worst idea imo. But I acknowledge that's probably wishful thinking or "throw enough ideas at the wall, eventually something will have to stick, and it clearly hasn't been what we've tried yet" mentality on my part

And to be clear I'd be totally fine with stepping down if people think there are too much bodies at this point or at that point. I'd rather this place have what it needs to be competently handled and to have less immediate situations that come up than the alternative, and I've already had enough concerns (in general and in my first week of action) that I was/am just another part of the problem stopping that from happening

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

JOHN CENA posted:

i mean that just makes a stronger case for making cj2 a full on moderator but that is Just My Opinion.
I'll definitely admit that I wasn't a big fan of CJ2 before they became an IK but they're doing such a good job with what they've got that CJ2 should be bumped up to a regular mod.

Likewise with Shaman, I used to abhor his posts for years but he's fighting his rear end off for FI.

This isn't a sleight on J-Ru or Junpei, but moderating forums isn't a job and if you've got other obligations you should just move on. If you're being called out for being inadequate, don't take it personally, this is a website that generates thousands of dollars in revenue and you don't get paid for moderating, live your own life. Moderation is a hobby, not a career.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I was a fan of CJ2 before he was IK'd, personally.

:glomp:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I personally don't really mind the idea of more mods but I also think mod should be a lot less important. Like I said, they just happen to be the community member we trust to be level headed enough to have the time out button.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chris James 2 posted:

I absolutely don't think we should have 10 mods and 10 IKs or anything like that. I personally think two of each would have sufficed fine in a good situation, obviously even one of each could work and has worked in a subforum. I'm definitely not the best at wording things right, I think that's another reason I suck at this, and I've spent a while typing and retyping this trying to figure out how to word this properly but I guess I was just trying to say there's stuff for each of us causing us to have gaps, to not have complete focus and pay proper attention and respect to immediate situations that come up (and as NienNunb pointed out I already hosed up right out the gate with handling one of those basically my first week, that was inexcusable even with my apologies and I definitely need to do better about that when I'm here while I'm here). But immediate situations Have come up often this year. Often enough that that's probably not going to end well long-term if that continues to be the go-to strategy for us, unintentionally or not. And in our current state, maybe having one more available body, who that ideally wouldn't be the case for, wouldn't be the worst idea imo. But I acknowledge that's probably wishful thinking or "throw enough ideas at the wall, eventually something will have to stick, and it clearly hasn't been what we've tried yet" mentality on my part

And to be clear I'd be totally fine with stepping down if people think there are too much bodies at this point or at that point. I'd rather this place have what it needs to be competently handled and to have less immediate situations that come up than the alternative, and I've already had enough concerns (in general and in my first week of action) that I was/am just another part of the problem stopping that from happening

Buddy if a mod/ik has to step down to reduce the number it shouldn't be you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Didn't J-Ru say they were gonna step down as mod before this whole Lowtax poo poo happened and decided to push it back until everything's sorted? Presumably whenever that happens CJ2 would takeover from him (assuming he's ok with doing so)

I offered to because I was super-busy and felt a more hands-on mod was needed. The response was that it would be better to get in some IKs and keep me around as is for now, and any new mod would just be an addition for the time being. Since then I've been through the tail end of the heaviest, busiest (and most creatively rewarding) period of my life in the last half-decade so I have (a bit) more free time now.

When it comes to new mods, it isn't as straightforward as "this person replaces me" - I can suggest names, offer up who I think are good candidates etc but the ultimate decision goes to the admins. The Lowtax mess sidelined a lot of poo poo because honestly the admins had bigger concerns to deal with, and most of us mods were more worried about getting the word out about potential lifeboats for the various subforums in case SA went down.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

CJ2 as a mod is an idea of support, as long as they were comfortable with the idea

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's been an opinion of mine for a while that the Fight Island moderation team is a little lopsided.

Ideally, imo, it would be a mod and an IK for each Wrestling and MMA, with the IK covering time zones that the mod is generally unavailable.

As it stands, as far as I'm aware (not being an MMA fan myself), neither Junpei nor Jru watch MMA. That's why Brut and Mekchu were brought on, I thought.

If any of the idiot kings were to be modded I would hope it's one of them. Nothing against CJ2, who has been doing a great job as IK, in my estimation.

That said I've argued with both of the mods in PMs about decisions of theirs I disagree with so what do I know.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mods should be familiar with the community of a forum and with all love and respect to our weirdo MMA cousins they're a very small island in FIGHT ISLAND. I don't see how you could expect someone who's just here in the UFC thread to be able to make fair decisions over conflicts between posters they don't know arguing over something he doesn't have any knowledge of. For a recent example the MRT/WSAE thing from not too long ago could have been handled even worse if the mod was coming to it without any previous context. The whole idea behind IKs when they first started was for insular thread communities like the MMA thread to have their own oversight and that works but that doesn't mean it'll work to put them in charge of places they're not familiar with.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

MMA posters can have a mod if they feel they need one but as it is the iks are performing very well, is my stance

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
i think the mods should try to encourage people to post more. i think it should be fun to post here. a mod should try to make a forum inviting and engaging, instead of just, being a cop and restoring order.

CJ2 is an active part of the community and i know that he knows whats going on in here and he hasn't done anything to ruffle my feathers yet. and even though CJ2 has like 8 gang tags, he seems to be pretty sane. Jerusalem, well, you know. Jerusalem tries his best and his communication has been improving, but i think ultimately we have different philosophies on moderating internet forums. the things he does and does not probate for are very confusing to me. he also seems to live on the planet Mars and operates on a different day/night cycle than the rest of the goons who post from Earth. no offense to Junpei, but i think her being added as a mod here was essentially a trick to make it appear that they were adding a second mod, when in fact they were not. i mean no disrespect and i am trying to be as tactful as possible. this is just my perspective as someone who reads this forum a lot. i am sure Junpei is a wonderful person in real life, and that she probably does a good job modding whatever other forum it is that she mods.

i don't want to hurt anybody's feelings here, you know. i know that i may "tell jokes," and that i am sometimes an rear end in a top hat to other people, but i am trying my best to say this all as nicely as possible. and i want this forum to be healthy and have a lot of good posts. i mostly like to read posts, instead of posting. i would like more people to start posting here and have a good time, unless they are part of an organized coup attempt and are rude to me. it's nice when new people come in and we get to act like wise grandpas and tell them about the time an old woman gave birth to a hand.

and i would like it if we could all try to be nicer to people with bad opinions. we scared away that guy that was obsessed with Asuka, and we almost lost notable forums poster Eat My Fuc, because we were making fun of his bad opinions too much. now we are eating his fuc, and liking it. i think we could all learn something from that. i think teasing our friends for their eccentricities is fine and is actually healthy for a forum environment, but we shouldn't keep hammering people for liking the WWE, or for liking Japanese women, or for ripping off Cavauro.

i think things are pretty good now, but it would be cool if they were better. i think a larger mod team would allow mods to focus on certain subjects and threads, do less work individually, and prevent any one person from exerting too much influence on forums culture. i think this is true of all the forums and not just this place, but this is the only place i really care about. a larger mod team would also allow for more stability when any one mod has to take a leave of absence. i think there should be 4 to 6 wrestling mods. i don't know how many the mma guys need. i think there are a lot of people here who would be good mods. and this isn't me making a joke about me being a mod. i'm talking about other people.

anyway these are my opinions and thoughts. i'm sorry, this big post is a mess. i have a lot of thoughts about the forums and this is how it came out, i'm sorry.

thank you for reading my post, if you read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

almost forgot to ask who will be the NWA moderator.