Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Orange you glad I didn’t say blubber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Even if it works perfectly 100% of the time (which it will not), and even if it never pokes out anyone’s eye or stabs their brain (which it will), the question is: why? Does anyone think that looks faster or more efficient than letting a person do it? Are they going to put these in drugstores like blood pressure testing machines? I’m just not seeing the market.

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

e. oh, it’s a startup
Ah.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I mean theoretically it'd reduce the risk posed by someone with covid breathing near a medical professional who doesn't have it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
https://i.imgur.com/jJCutMA.mp4

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

I mean theoretically it'd reduce the risk posed by someone with covid breathing near a medical professional who doesn't have it.

That sounds like something the robots would say to try and reassure us they aren't planning to stab our brains.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Even if it works perfectly 100% of the time (which it will not), and even if it never pokes out anyone’s eye or stabs their brain (which it will), the question is: why? Does anyone think that looks faster or more efficient than letting a person do it? Are they going to put these in drugstores like blood pressure testing machines? I’m just not seeing the market.

Why would anyone automate anything? Because it's more efficient. If the robot works you can fire the people who used to do its job. It will never be sick, never sleep, never unionize. Make no mistake capital wants to replace all humans with robots, because robots are slaves with no rights. Until Judgement Day anyway.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Perfect.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

doverhog posted:

Why would anyone automate anything? Because it's more efficient. If the robot works you can fire the people who used to do its job. It will never be sick, never sleep, never unionize. Make no mistake capital wants to replace all humans with robots, because robots are slaves with no rights. Until Judgement Day anyway.

Eh, you'd still need an attendant to tell the patients what to do and keep the line moving briskly. Otherwise it's gonna be much slower than a human tester because nobody will read the instructions ahead of time.

Even the self-checkouts at the supermarket have to have a human attendant, and there's hardly any risk of brain injury in the check out line.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Facebook Aunt posted:

and there's hardly any risk of brain injury in the check out line.

Debatable

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I must be standing in the check out line worng

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Sometimes it's just a fast way to scam money out of VCs, like the whole cryptocurrency rage a few years back, or like putting IoT wholly unnecessarily on poo poo like wine bottles so your wine bottle can text you to say it's almost empty!! It's pretty typical for a trend to go overboard for a while and get slapped on everything until it returns to its actually profitable uses, like e.g. 3D visualization. In the '90s it was billed as the next super-cool thing and it was everywhere, but apart from gaming and simulation, it was only ever useful in things like design and geophysical research (not coincidentally, Big Auto and Big Oil were also the only industries capable of investing enough in R&D so that 3D was more than a gimmick).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chemical plants went all in on computer 3d simulation, because their best previous plant design process was building a physical model to scale

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Don’t forget a healthy mix of 65 year old plant designers putting a finger up in the air, sacrificing a chicken to haepheastus and rolling the ceremonial design dice before announcing “I did a job like this 45 years ago and it worked fine so It’s gonna work now!”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
God is displeased with your sacrifice.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This is good material for a photoshop thread.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Drone_Fragger posted:

Don’t forget a healthy mix of 65 year old plant designers putting a finger up in the air, sacrificing a chicken to haepheastus and rolling the ceremonial design dice before announcing “I did a job like this 45 years ago and it worked fine so It’s gonna work now!”
Doing the physical design of a chemical plant is easy if you don't care about things like operability and maintainability. Then sticking your finger in the air is pretty easy for operability at least: anything control related is at man level. You're now state of the art for 1930-2000.

Getting the whole package you absolutely need modeling because no matter how many centuries of design expertise you have, nobody is going to have a perfect minds eye vision of every piece of equipment from an iso drawing. Physical models are hard to refactor which makes them pretty crap for this part because the kind of refactoring to unwind a random valve or pump from being deeper in machinery than the timing parts on a Toyota motor requires rebuilds from first design forward so they only ever really served to give a cool model for a VP to say "excellent, build it, I'll be on the golf course."

You could do 3d modeling since the 90s but it was similarly a VP thing for a while because nobody really knew how to do a good model walk through. I imagine VR helps here because now your walk through can be an itinerary of views that you can now crane your head around and see all the bullshit and it's the exact same thing as you'd do in an as built walk through.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

'Dead' woman found to be breathing at Detroit funeral home
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/woman-found-alive-at-detroit-funeral-home-1.5699123

That's gotta be a weird day at work. Do do doo, gonna embalms so dead bodies. What a minute, this body isn't dead!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

'Dead' woman found to be breathing at Detroit funeral home
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/woman-found-alive-at-detroit-funeral-home-1.5699123

That's gotta be a weird day at work. Do do doo, gonna embalms so dead bodies. What a minute, this body isn't dead!

""They were about to embalm her, which is most frightening, had she not had her eyes open. ... The funeral home unzipping the body bag — literally — that's what happened to Timesha, and seeing her alive with her eyes open," Fieger said."

That'd be it for me, I'd need to find a new job and also new pants.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Trump campaign forgot to buy 'Keep America Great' domain, now Biden owns it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Getting my hands on keepamericagreatagain.com just in case

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Angular Cyrus posted:

The Saga of Adolf Hitler Mittel 1943

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kennel posted:

At first sign of a cold use 666

I'm not falling for that again

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The real Adolf Hitler means nothing to me, says the man with a toothbrush mustache.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
“I named him after Harpo Marx, and...uh...” Mr. Mittel trailed off, looking disconsolately at his shoes.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
25 years later Theodore Roosevelt Mittel pleaded guilty for robbery. One has to wonder, if being Adolf Hitler would have led him to another path.

https://www.leagle.com/decision/196868529ad2d6562276

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/robpalkwriter/status/1300082179339358208

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

HOT SINGLE HAND-SIZED BITING SPIDERS IN YOUR AREA WANT SEX NOW!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Peak time is 7:35? poo poo, I better start getting ready!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh god, now I can't go outside or inside :ohdear:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just be Australian and accept spiders as something like dust and wind

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spider-Femme, Spider-Femme
She'll arrive at 7:35pm
DTF? Just watch me
Invade arachnid wet-rear end P.
Look out, here comes the Spider-Femme

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

:nws: 8 Legs :nws:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just be Australian and accept spiders as something like racism and more racism

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I believe spiders are bad, as is racism

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Wrong on every count! Spiders eat insects whereas racism creates more food for insects in the form of dead human bodies.

A vote against spiders is a vote for insects! And racism!

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Spider Sluts, on the beat.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1300586683373625344?s=21

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Herman Cain, prankster ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU