Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hell yeah massive Zoom outage. Classes here don't start until tomorrow but the twitterverse is alight with students complaining about not being able to attend remote classes. Also it took over an hour for the Zoom status page to actually report an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

returning from my covid quarantine to see ~150 open tickets. my boss tells me she worked on a bunch of these and just didn't update the ticket records, ever, so i should just pick something to work on and email her to see if she did it already. efficiency

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Weedle posted:

returning from my covid quarantine to see ~150 open tickets. my boss tells me she worked on a bunch of these and just didn't update the ticket records, ever, so i should just pick something to work on and email her to see if she did it already. efficiency

Just close them all and if people complain then re-open one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Close 10 per day so at least the workload can be spread over a few weeks.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I have so many people frantically signing up for service because school starts tomorrow who seem upset when I tell them it's probably going to be a week before we can get their install scheduled lmfao

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

When I worked for the SEO fuckwit I refer to as Skippy the Sex Offender, he got a bug up his rear end about physical security and bought lock cables for our laptops. I asked him what he intended to lock them to, since we were working on lightweight IKEA tables that you could push over and then unloop the cable from the table leg.

So he got a drill and a 1” forstner bit and tried to plunge a hole in the table top. Lo and behold, the table is basically two sheets of 1/8” fiber board with a core of shredded paper. The bit chawed a hole in it twice the diameter of the bit itself. Proudly, he looped the cable thru the mess and stood back to admire his work.

I walked over, put one hand on the table, and gave the cable a yank. Ripped it clean through the side of the paperboard. Said, “oops?” and wandered off to do actual work.

He still had that table when I quit.

Just use a pair of concrete screws to bolt an anchor to the floor?
Then saw the table legs shorter because I'm sure those straps weren't even 3' long.

Thanks Ants posted:

Close 10 per day so at least the workload can be spread over a few weeks.

But spend the entire day closing them so they don't think you're superman and start throwing an additional 10 tickets per day at you on top of your regular workload.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just don't let random people walk into the room where your laptops are sat on desks, you can achieve this with some doors and some locks.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I always thought a kensington lock was 90% scam 10% i guess it'd make it less attractive than a nearby one without it

Also I keep getting to look at people's poo poo looking into why they're slow and god drat the amazon spybots upload a lot don't they

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

Just don't let random people walk into the room where your laptops are sat on desks, you can achieve this with some doors and some locks.
"But we have an open office to foster team something!" : negative:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Arquinsiel posted:

"But we have an open office to foster team something!" : negative:

Yeah but these days you can just be like "well an open office means greatly increased risk of virus transmission so it sounds like we either need to have everyone WFH or get some cubicles your choice".

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Why is nobody commenting on the idiocy of buying a portable device then chaining it up? :psyduck: Regardless of method, that's hosed up.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Do laptops still come with the lock slot? I have just a MBP that doesn't.

wikipedia posted:

Alternatives
Several manufacturers offer similar locking mechanisms that do not require a special lock hole.[4] They attach to a popular port, such as the VGA or printer port, and have special screws to secure locks in place.

Quite popular alternatives.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Antigravitas posted:

Why is nobody commenting on the idiocy of buying a portable device then chaining it up?

Because it's cheaper to buy one computer instead of a desktop + laptop. At the office it's locked and docked, then when you want/need to WfH or travel for business you unlock it and take it with you.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I don't know what you're on about, all our laptops come with DB-25 and DE15 ports.

(I'm only half joking, we have some that need to interface with certain expensive equipment, via parallel…)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Actuarial Fables posted:

Because it's cheaper to buy one computer instead of a desktop + laptop. At the office it's locked and docked, then when you want/need to WfH or travel for business you unlock it and take it with you.

Encrypt the device. Use reasonable security controls. Whatever risk is left isn't going to be reasonably managed by a silly useless cable either. Its just going to cause the device to not be used for what it was bought for and or cause someone to have to walk around with bolt cutters.

Total waste of money and time for what basically sums up to nothing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Shugojin posted:

I always thought a kensington lock was 90% scam 10% i guess it'd make it less attractive than a nearby one without it

It depends more on the laptop chassis than anything.

I did some testing with some old laptops I had a few years ago. I can easily break one of the late P3/early P4 era Dell Latitudes off of a Kensington lock with barely any visible damage. A Precision of the same era eventually let go but was very obviously ripped open.

Either way in the end it's the same grade of lock hardware as a bike lock, so it's only going to deter theft to a certain level. Someone with time, access to tools, and/or a lack of caring about destruction or noise can easily get it off.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I loving hate fax machines.

A ticket came in about OUR fax machine that cannot send a fax to THEIR fax machine.
Their fax machine picks up the line but will not answer with fax tones.

OUR fax cannot send faxes to either of THEIR two faxes.
There is another fax machine of OURs that can send a fax to both of THEIRs.
OUR fax machine can fax literally any other number we try. Any part of the country, can call any cell phone, hell we even faxed internationally and to an eFax service just for lulz.

Both of our fax machines are on the same PBX using the same fax protocol with no calling restrictions.
All OUR numbers have their outbound numbers masked to the same number so the recipient sees the same number no matter who is calling from our PBX.

I have told them repeatedly that this sounds like a whole lot of not my problem but the tickets keep flowing in every time they can't fax to this one particular number.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sickening posted:

Encrypt the device. Use reasonable security controls. Whatever risk is left isn't going to be reasonably managed by a silly useless cable either. Its just going to cause the device to not be used for what it was bought for and or cause someone to have to walk around with bolt cutters.

Total waste of money and time for what basically sums up to nothing.

A Kensington lock is a hardware theft deterrent. It's there to keep honest people honest, not to prevent someone sufficiently determined from walking away with the laptop.

Anyway, a ticket came in from a user who was concerned about not being able to log in, because she gets an error when she turns on her desktop. She thinks it might be something wrong with her account.

I go up and take a look...uh, no, the BIOS isn't detecting the CPU fan for some reason, and that's what the error is about. I boot it to Windows anyway and the fan does its best impression of a jet engine, while the CPU is at 92C.

Definitely not an account issue.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

A Kensington lock is a hardware theft deterrent. It's there to keep honest people honest, not to prevent someone sufficiently determined from walking away with the laptop.

Its a poor deterrent and a waste of time. Your users will actively work against you to keep from using it. Worse, people will just treat their laptop like a desktop and keep it locked forever.

Its an ancient relic from the times of old. Let it die.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sickening posted:

Its a poor deterrent and a waste of time. Your users will actively work against you to keep from using it. Worse, people will just treat their laptop like a desktop and keep it locked forever.

Its an ancient relic from the times of old. Let it die.

I'm...pointing out why Kensington locks exist and why managers like them (deters petty theft and covers the rear end). I personally don't give two shits if someone wanders away with a laptop that's fully encrypted.

Unless I have to do the paperwork for it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just use a pair of concrete screws to bolt an anchor to the floor?
Then saw the table legs shorter because I'm sure those straps weren't even 3' long.

These were the finest cheap laptops Best Buy offered, it would be cheaper to just replace them.

Thanks Ants posted:

We worked out of a retail space with big windows, and for some reason, he was convinced having cable locks would deter someone from doing a smash and grab. He also kept an unlocked .45 in a duffel bag under his desk, and let small children run around unsupervised :psyduck: (I was gonna do psyboom, but that seemed gauche after mentioning children and guns.) He admitted he had the gun on the assumption that some glorious day he could be an action hero by blowing away meth-addled computer thieves. This is before he shuttered the retail side of the business and started throwing the deadbolt (key only, and only he had the key) so we couldn't get in or out the front door. I called the fire inspectors, but I guess if your business has fewer than 12 employees, you can get away with a lot of regulations violations :v: He did get stung by OSHA for a whole bunch of bad wiring and unsafe shelving, and fumed around the office trying to figure out which one of us would file for an inspection. The hilarious part is that he never suspected me, despite me being the biggest loudmouth about social justice, and having already put in my notice to leave.

loving idiot, I wasn't even being subtle, and he was like, "It couldn't be DRJ, she's too nice!" :honk:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

I go up and take a look...uh, no, the BIOS isn't detecting the CPU fan for some reason, and that's what the error is about. I boot it to Windows anyway and the fan does its best impression of a jet engine, while the CPU is at 92C.

That reminds me of the time the first computer I built decided to tell me the CPU fan failed one day, so I panicked and turned it off and looked at what was happening. All the plugs looked fine so I cautiously turned it on and got the error again, but the fan was spinning. Turns out that the lovely heat and it being winter had resulted in the air being so cold the fan only thought it had to spin at about 400rpm and the bios was set to declare failure at below 600rpm.

Also when I say "decided to tell me", I mean that was also how I learned that bios had voiced error messages and not just beeps.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
When you do cloud computing wrong, you get sent to the

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Data Graham posted:

Hell is being forced eternally to watch someone else do sysadmin stuff who doesn't know Unix terminal shortcuts like ^A or ^E or ^U, or does not understand about history scrollback.

set -o vi

Then I don't have to learn them because I already know all the vim stuff. Although I do ^U a bunch, I suppose, because it works in a lot of other places. Otherwise I'm constantly in a tmux so I use those bindings a lot for stuff as well.

I still cmd-c cmd-v a lot since you can get away with that in Mac Terminal, and I'm always on a MBP now that I'm permanent work from home.

As far as other stupid useful shortcuts nobody knows about, !! and !$ get a ton of use from me. Last Command and Last Argument respectively in bash/zsh et al. Super useful.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Or whatching someone use any text editor while navigating with the arrow keys, instead of hjkl, or Shift, or even Home/End.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

It is shocking how many people who use vim on a daily basis don't know a single vim thing other than "Escape, i" and "Escape, :wq" and minor variations thereof.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I can spell vim.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My attitude towards vim is that I could learn it, or I could use a different text editor on the rare occasions I need one and devote that learning time to something useful instead.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

If you're not a *nix admin of some sort, there aren't all that many compelling reasons to use vim unless you just like it for any number of reasons. I don't think I'd recommend that most people install gvim on their Windows machine, for example.

But if you're a *nix admin, you should probably have some idea how to use it competently, or at least know emacs. I don't mean people who occasionally touch a linux server to HUP apache or whatever, but if your actual job title is some sort of linux sysadmin, you really should learn it because you're probably spending a lot of time in it and you should have a level of competence so that you can do things way faster, be it terminal, vim/emacs, or whatever.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I loving hate fax machines.

A ticket came in about OUR fax machine that cannot send a fax to THEIR fax machine.
Their fax machine picks up the line but will not answer with fax tones.

OUR fax cannot send faxes to either of THEIR two faxes.
There is another fax machine of OURs that can send a fax to both of THEIRs.
OUR fax machine can fax literally any other number we try. Any part of the country, can call any cell phone, hell we even faxed internationally and to an eFax service just for lulz.

Both of our fax machines are on the same PBX using the same fax protocol with no calling restrictions.
All OUR numbers have their outbound numbers masked to the same number so the recipient sees the same number no matter who is calling from our PBX.

I have told them repeatedly that this sounds like a whole lot of not my problem but the tickets keep flowing in every time they can't fax to this one particular number.

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to get the users and managers from both sides together, get them in a room together....

...and then lock the doors from the outside, forcing them to go through a series of Saw style trials where attempting to send a fax results in torture and using email is the only way to survive.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

If you're not a *nix admin of some sort, there aren't all that many compelling reasons to use vim unless you just like it for any number of reasons. I don't think I'd recommend that most people install gvim on their Windows machine, for example.

But if you're a *nix admin, you should probably have some idea how to use it competently, or at least know emacs. I don't mean people who occasionally touch a linux server to HUP apache or whatever, but if your actual job title is some sort of linux sysadmin, you really should learn it because you're probably spending a lot of time in it and you should have a level of competence so that you can do things way faster, be it terminal, vim/emacs, or whatever.

None of that sounds appealing at all.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

speech to text posted:

Hi, my name is John Galt.

N- no

NO

:negative:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hi, my name is John Galt. I'm the guy you've been asking about for 12 years. It me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Text to Speech posted:

Many of you have been asking who is JOHN MADDEN, this is JOHN MADDEN speaking now.
Nine Nine Nine Nine Nine Nine Nine Nine Nine Nine Nine Nine Nine Nine
Exclamation Point Question Mark Exclamation Point Question Mark Exclamation Point Question mark

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

None of that sounds appealing at all.

I've said it a few times now around here.
I will go to great lengths to avoid having to edit a file directly on a server.

Ideally I only have to update an ansible playbook or a repo and push it.

if that's not an option I'll either scp or sftp the file so I can edit it on my workstation.

gently caress editing files in console in tyol 2020 and if I have to do it I'm going to make time to nuke the loving thing and redeploy it so the options above will work

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

If only I worked in an environment conducive to doing such things.

Vim is still perfectly good for editing puppet code or ansible playbooks or whatever, I use it for that all the time.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't know how to work without vim

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Methanar posted:

I don't know how to work without vim

Seriously. I have enough modules and plugins for vim that editing stuff for puppet or yaml is a hundred times easier and faster for me in vim than it would be in basically anything else. I spent some time learning a lot of the vim shortcuts and macros and the like and it's monumentally powerful as a result. It's obviously not for everyone for everything, but I lose a lot of productivity if I have to use some other editor, and if I'm in google docs or microsoft word or something for some reason I'm constantly hitting escape and trying to do various things just out of muscle memory.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Every time this comes up I get more and more convinced that vim users suffer from Stockholm syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Fool posted:

Every time this comes up I get more and more convinced that vim users suffer from Stockholm syndrome.

they're like the extremely old/rugged country dwellers who grew up using an outhouse so the modern toilet is too alien to be comforting