Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

There's talk that some of the Green/Vinlanders assimilated with the Natives instead of going back.

Yeah, that's the ending I'm hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We finally got there in Historie

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

New Vinland Saga Ch. 174 - https://mangadex.org/chapter/968572

Sigurd makes a well-timed return and seems really chill now.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

lol Dumb Grandpa Brain immediately activating

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
god, if you pointed to halfdan when he was first introduced and said in a hundred and fifty chapters he'd be an adorable old dude i would not have believed it

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Lots of excellent faces this chapter. Mostly from Halfdan, but details.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

god, if you pointed to halfdan when he was first introduced and said in a hundred and fifty chapters he'd be an adorable old dude i would not have believed it

Yeah. Like I thought he would be a villain of some kind. Instead while scary he has been nothing but helpful.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

New Otoyomegatari

:ohdear:

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

They might be referring to the attack already shown by the rival tribes Russia were using as patsies (that ended in Amir's brother taking over her clan)-- iirc Smith had already left by that point.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://mangadex.org/chapter/1007550

WE'RE ON THE BOAT!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

19 pages before a skip month, huh?

Boats really do slow everything down.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Thorfinn has a serious case of before and after morning coffee face.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rody One Half posted:

We finally got there in Historie
drat I'm thought that series was defunct and yeaaah :stare:

God wish the backgrounds were so bad in it

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

War's Unwomanly Face was picked up by a new scanlator, i strongly recommend it, it's an adaptation of a famous collection of memoirs from Soviet women who served in WW2, either in the support or at the frontline itself.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
Vinland Saga/Assassins Creed promotion/crossover/flashback thing.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1077807/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hoooo man, this was a good chapter of vinland saga.

this page is really really simple but powerful.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Honestly for a sec thought they were ending the series on that one. Not that it needs to end there, but that would have in a way been a good ending.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That Works posted:

Honestly for a sec thought they were ending the series on that one. Not that it needs to end there, but that would have in a way been a good ending.
It's definitely an interesting structure in that the rest of the world, and the whole story up until now is kind of sliding out of direct relevance. It's still where our characters came from, but the focus is shrinking to Vinland itself.

Definitely a very emotional chapter, without much happening. It's good to reflect right here at the cusp of heading into the unknown. Though I like how Thorfinn keeps emphasizing that they'll be trading back and forth. He's not cutting himself off from everything his little utopia, he's expanding the world.

Or at least that's still the goal. I'm taking solace in the fact that this has not been following the Sagas very closely, but I still fear for the fate of Thorfinn's settlement.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eiba posted:

It's definitely an interesting structure in that the rest of the world, and the whole story up until now is kind of sliding out of direct relevance. It's still where our characters came from, but the focus is shrinking to Vinland itself.

Definitely a very emotional chapter, without much happening. It's good to reflect right here at the cusp of heading into the unknown. Though I like how Thorfinn keeps emphasizing that they'll be trading back and forth. He's not cutting himself off from everything his little utopia, he's expanding the world.

Or at least that's still the goal. I'm taking solace in the fact that this has not been following the Sagas very closely, but I still fear for the fate of Thorfinn's settlement.

Thinking back on the ending of Planetes I wouldn't be surprised to see them end it once they get to Vinland.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Okay but what if this goes full alt-history and they live peacefully in Vinland and change the direction of the world? Thorfinn deserves it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Okay but what if this goes full alt-history and they live peacefully in Vinland and change the direction of the world? Thorfinn deserves it.

There is a theory that the settlers, or at least some of them, ended up intergrating with the natives.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I mean, Thorfinn's children went on to change the direction of the world in our history. Snorri Thorfinnsson was a key figure in the Christianization of Iceland, an event notable for not ending in bloodshed. Unlike many cultural shifts, it was a matter of peaceful discussion and legal concessions.

Thorfinn didn't find a better world. But when he returned home, he did a little to start building one.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

godspeed big eyes, towards your looming gambling/floozy related death

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Real sweet and nostalgic chapter, been reading this poo poo a long drat time haha

Old Leif ;_;

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Bad news for the Smith crew in Otoyomegatari; the Russians have arrived. Good news is that NIkolovsky and Ali are basically special forces agents.

The man makes an improvised bayonet so he can 1v10 these guys. :black101:
Not reckless my rear end

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Ali is a special forces agent. Nikolovsky is a goddamn terminator :stare:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

He's central asian John Wick.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Smith just please go home with your wife/Talas get your boy

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ad Astra's scanlation has been completed. Go read it.

https://mangadex.org/title/12136/ad-astra-scipio-to-hannibal

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
:stare: what the gently caress nikolovsky?

also was the russian advance through central asia know for sacking random villages? i mean pillaging, rapes and random civilian death are a given whenever an army is advancing through a region, but opening fire with artillery and systematically pursuing fleeing women and children seems a bit much

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Russian expansion into the steppe and mountains was pretty much identical to what America was doing at the same to its own indigenous population. Sometimes it'd actually be worse because for Russia these were where invasions of Russian territory traditionally came from so the Sunni muslim tribes were seen as outright hostile actors instead of just imperial obstacles (though disease, while a factor, was never AS big a killer as it was in the Americas).

Of course once you were under the imperial auspices it'd be all "oh we're the paternal protectors, we'll commission new mosques for you, protect you from bandits, etc (pay your taxes or else)."

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I wish Mori would draw more action panels because of scenes like this, her figure work and command of weight and motion is just so, so good. The stakes are a little undercut when everyone in this series is a one-man army, though.
I loved some of the more dynamic scenes in her one-shots too, especially the goofy one where the maid and butler fly down from the rafters and are bouncing around posing.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

Russian expansion into the steppe and mountains was pretty much identical to what America was doing at the same to its own indigenous population. Sometimes it'd actually be worse because for Russia these were where invasions of Russian territory traditionally came from so the Sunni muslim tribes were seen as outright hostile actors instead of just imperial obstacles (though disease, while a factor, was never AS big a killer as it was in the Americas).

Of course once you were under the imperial auspices it'd be all "oh we're the paternal protectors, we'll commission new mosques for you, protect you from bandits, etc (pay your taxes or else)."

Central Asia honestly had it relatively better than the Muslim populations in Bessarabia, Crimea and the Caucasus who were seen as possible fifth columnists during the wars against the Turks. Those were subject to "resettlements"...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Russian conquest made heavy use of artillery, and due to the way the local governance tended to work in these regions, that meant a lot of artillery fire and combat against civilians.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Central Asia honestly had it relatively better than the Muslim populations in Bessarabia, Crimea and the Caucasus who were seen as possible fifth columnists during the wars against the Turks. Those were subject to "resettlements"...

The Turks OR the Qajars (well, themselves Turks I suppose) but yeah they definitely got it the worst, but still Russia had no compunction about blowing the poo poo out of mountain towns.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Plutonis posted:

Yooooooooooooo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I wish Mori would draw more action panels because of scenes like this, her figure work and command of weight and motion is just so, so good. The stakes are a little undercut when everyone in this series is a one-man army, though.
I loved some of the more dynamic scenes in her one-shots too, especially the goofy one where the maid and butler fly down from the rafters and are bouncing around posing.

Given it was a decades old seasoned survivalist versus a couple of likely grunts who had 6 months of training and then told to point and shoot it's not that surprising. There's a massive, massive difference in quality between local experts and invading front line infantry in conflicts like that.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Plutonis posted:

This was awesome, thanks for the heads up

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Chapter 95 of Otoyomegatari

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1107431/1

It's a sad one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A reminder that the Great Game is still cruel and stupid.