Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

jesus christ. even new york?

sadly my first thought was I wonder if this will show up in Flight Simulator's live weather

it does show up in fact!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NASA GMAO more like NASA LMAO

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

extremely low-energy little marco

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1297918681289285633

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

*goes to applebees*

so isn't it pretty much guaranteed Houston is going to get clobbered? 95W between 29N and 30N on that map

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 17:14 on Aug 24, 2020

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

the storm being in that position would give New Orleans hella storm surge

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

El Burbo posted:

the storm being in that position would give New Orleans hella storm surge

I believe the only channel we get storm surge from is the Mississippi, and that's actually quite low right now.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

so isn't it pretty much guaranteed Houston is going to get clobbered? 95W between 29N and 30N on that map

https://spacecityweather.com/laura-moving-near-cuba-confidence-increases-slightly-in-track-forecast/

this is worth a read

edit: i'm getting strong rita vibes from laura, and that really hosed up the texas/louisiana border area

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Dave_Nussbaum/status/1297935215780859904

Seems weird for it to still be a hurricane by the time it gets to Arkansas. Do they often retain their strength that far in? Is Laura just a speed demon?

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

https://twitter.com/Dave_Nussbaum/status/1297935215780859904

Seems weird for it to still be a hurricane by the time it gets to Arkansas. Do they often retain their strength that far in? Is Laura just a speed demon?

i think you might be right about the wind speed. rita was a category 3 when it made landfall, but it significantly slowed once it hit land. idk what's up with this one.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Marco will have inundated things, so increased water surface plus no mountains makes louisiana an extension of the gulf

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

Marco will have inundated things, so increased water surface plus no mountains makes louisiana an extension of the gulf

It's clear skies here but I dunno about the rest of the state.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Food Boner posted:

or they are too busy working and rent to do it gently caress

If someone is renting the house it's on the landlord to keep it safe, not the people paying rent. You can bet your rear end the landlords show up to the municipal meetings to bitch about having to make any sort of contribution to fire safety ("we own 8 properties! we'd have to do this 8 TIMES!")

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ah yeah, the "brown sea" idea that helped power that tropical storm remnant to the Great Lakes a year or two ago, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Some of the Euro models have the storm staying more west and making landfall in East Texas. It's really just going to depend on how strong the ridge of high pressure is over Florida/Alabama in the next day or so. If it's stronger it may steer the storm further west into Texas.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

also something like 2/3rds of the state is underwater for more than half of the year under "normal" conditions

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

NHC now puts Laura as a major hurricane at landfall, and the track keeps nudging west with every update. Houston might be in for a rough time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It’s not looking good, no

https://twitter.com/tropicaltidbits/status/1298234023748280321?s=21

It’s also possible that the intensity forecasting is being too conservative on this

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Am I reading that chart right, it's projected to have higher than 110mph sustained winds on landfall?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes that is correct

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s not looking good, no

https://twitter.com/tropicaltidbits/status/1298234023748280321?s=21

It’s also possible that the intensity forecasting is being too conservative on this

Category 3 doesn't sound that bad

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

CODChimera posted:

cattingburger

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

CODChimera posted:

*Pounds fists on table*

Cat! Five! Cat! Five! Cat! Five!

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

After Harvey I'll take a cat 5 thats in and out in a day

quote this after i am dead

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

lets just hope it makes its way to cat 6 because then its just network cables draped over houses and power lines

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
smh kids today don’t remember category 3 and category 5 cables

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

My parents bought a cheap house in a community completely destroyed by Rita. They're panicking pretty badly right now, they never got the federal grant money they were promised to raise up their house so they're shoving all their stuff into a trailer and heading north. Hopefully it's a nothingburger but their fields flood in a slight rain so I'm not optimistic.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hearing through the grapevine Cat 4 is on the table. It's shaping up to be a monster. Hopefully it splits that difference between Houston and New Orleans and only levels Lake Charles.

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Aug 25, 2020

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The region between Houston and Port Arthur is basically one big petrochemical complex lol

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Lining up hurricanes cat 1,2, and 4

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Zeno-25 posted:

The region between Houston and Port Arthur is basically one big petrochemical complex lol

it's endlessly funny to me that they named the chemical plant town outside of lake charles "sulphur"

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Zeno-25 posted:

More accurately, Port Arthur to Lake Charles.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Hearing through the grapevine Cat 4 is on the table. It's shaping up to be a monster. Hopefully it splits that difference between Houston and New Orleans and only levels Lake Charles.

don't believe him, all the grapevines burned down in CA

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

C2C - 2.0 posted:

More accurately, Port Arthur to Lake Charles.

Ah so right where it's currently forecasted to go

Cool, cool

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh no please, not our precious petrochemical plants. Please destroy a highly populated area instead.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Lake Charles is already an unmitigated shithole. Who will notice the difference?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Did Marco just completely die out?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Oh no please, not our precious petrochemical plants. Please destroy a highly populated area instead.

if they hit the right plants maybe we can get both!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

Did Marco just completely die out?

Yeah something called "wind sheer" killed it. I understood it for exactly 5 minutes after the youtube man explained it but now that's completely gone.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

12z euro with a real spicy meatball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PostNouveau posted:

No kidding, the Gulf has seen enough ecological disasters as it is