Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Woman on far left has septum piercing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Milo and POTUS posted:

Woman on far left has septum piercing

bedazzled Hitler 'stache

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I remember Bartman being pretty prominent in the merch. Was Bartman ever a thing in the show?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Never heard of him!

Three Men and a Comic Book, S3

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Season 2 lol

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I remember Bartman being pretty prominent in the merch. Was Bartman ever a thing in the show?

Nah. The only time they referenced it in the classic years was in Three Men and a Comic Book but I think the merchandise predated it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There was this, but whether it counts as "merch" or "show" uhh — you make the call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdntmGp7lO4

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

J-Spot posted:

Nah. The only time they referenced it in the classic years was in Three Men and a Comic Book but I think the merchandise predated it.

Data Graham posted:

There was this, but whether it counts as "merch" or "show" uhh — you make the call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdntmGp7lO4

Yeah in 1990 they released a music album called "The Simpsons Sing the Blues" featuring 4 or 5 songs, the most of popular of which was Do the Bartman. This predated it ever being on the show and of course led to the music video.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Is Abe Simpson still on the show because I was thinking - you know how Skinner can no longer have fought in Vietnam in new episodes well Abe can no longer have fought in WW2.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He'll probably have fought in the Syrian Civil War by the time the show ends.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is Abe Simpson still on the show because I was thinking - you know how Skinner can no longer have fought in Vietnam in new episodes well Abe can no longer have fought in WW2.

They've been leaning into the joke that Grandpa Simpson is ridiculously old like Mr. Burns, while Mr. Burns lists his birthplace as Pangea

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Someone in this thread or elsewhere linked to this YouTube channel and this guy does great recaps/retrospective of Simpsons seasons:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaRiYy9wFREQsRXNyDqPRguGnHDGCrkwE

He's up to season 8. I watched all of them this weekend, and it really drives home just how varied and constantly evolving those first 8 seasons really were. No two seasons have exactly the same feel or approach. 9 through 12 also each feel different, but that's because each gets progressively and aggressively worse.

Pick a random Bob's Burgers episode out of a hat. What season is it from? You won't be able to tell. Maybe if its from season 1. The only signifiers are less yelling and more songs in later seasons. King of the Hill can be divided into seasons 1-4 (excellent) 5-7 (good), and 8-13 (just okay).

Basically what I'm saying is, Simpsons seasons 2-8 is really, really, really... good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bartman is more of a thing in the comics.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
because someone mentioned it i tried watching that futurama crossover and it's sort of a little bit impressive how you can make a ~20 minute cartoon with absolutely zero jokes

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

bobjr posted:

They've been leaning into the joke that Grandpa Simpson is ridiculously old like Mr. Burns, while Mr. Burns lists his birthplace as Pangea

A good “Mr. Burns is oooold!” joke I think comes from an otherwise forgettable and lovely newer season episode that I was still watching for some reason, but it was a solid laugh.

“Local villain C. Montgomery Burns, seen here terrorizing children in a 19th-century woodcut.”

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Also, lol that y’all think Abe Simpson will always be a WWII vet. The show will still be on the air in 60 years, and Abe will be a veteran of the War on Terror.

“Back in 2003, we used to wear an iPod in our pocket and wired earbuds in our ears, which was the style at the time...”

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember the joke where Abe was an officer in WW1 as a toddler.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Time for a batch of AI episodes that are more entertaining that the real show in its current state:

"in this episode, Homer and Bart find several two-headed pigs while on vacation, the two prank the fat pig in a dark room, Todd accidentally locks the rest of the family in his basement; Homer tries to teach his son how to become a mafia don."

"This episode involves Reverend Lovejoy and Smithers becoming romantically involved after they meet at a Kentucky Womens' Pageant. The tension between Lovejoy and Smithers is an important factor in the story and leaves both of them with a new appreciation for one another"

"...the Simpson family go for a kayaking trip to the beautiful coastline of Isla Nublar. Although Bart and Lisa don't get much out of their visit, Maggie gets an idea that she can use for their future vacations. But before Lisa can ask Maggie about her plan, she gets caught in the middle of a baseball game between the Mar-a-lago Country Club and the Isla Nublar Baseball Club."

"Bart and Lisa no longer have socks as they have to wear suits. Homer and Marge come up with the plan to, as Marge says, "Be a wee wee, if you wanna be a wee wee." The joke is that being a wee wee is causing them a great deal of discomfort. This episode is similar to the one where Bart makes a kissy face, "A Couple of Schmucks", because the two dads are confused and angry."

"in this episode of The Simpsons, Maggie finds out she has a talent for tea, Bart discovers he's been asleep for 30 years, and the family is visited by a dryad."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah in 1990 they released a music album called "The Simpsons Sing the Blues" featuring 4 or 5 songs, the most of popular of which was Do the Bartman. This predated it ever being on the show and of course led to the music video.

"Deep Deep Trouble" inspired 11 year old me to ask a friend "why would Bart care about going to a boat show?"

Also hoo man is that album awful

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"Deep Deep Trouble" inspired 11 year old me to ask a friend "why would Bart care about going to a boat show?"

Also hoo man is that album awful

:same: but I never got an answer, is this a sly allusion that I'm still too dense to get?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Time for a batch of AI episodes that are more entertaining that the real show in its current state:

"in this episode, Homer and Bart find several two-headed pigs while on vacation, the two prank the fat pig in a dark room, Todd accidentally locks the rest of the family in his basement; Homer tries to teach his son how to become a mafia don."

"This episode involves Reverend Lovejoy and Smithers becoming romantically involved after they meet at a Kentucky Womens' Pageant. The tension between Lovejoy and Smithers is an important factor in the story and leaves both of them with a new appreciation for one another"

"...the Simpson family go for a kayaking trip to the beautiful coastline of Isla Nublar. Although Bart and Lisa don't get much out of their visit, Maggie gets an idea that she can use for their future vacations. But before Lisa can ask Maggie about her plan, she gets caught in the middle of a baseball game between the Mar-a-lago Country Club and the Isla Nublar Baseball Club."

"Bart and Lisa no longer have socks as they have to wear suits. Homer and Marge come up with the plan to, as Marge says, "Be a wee wee, if you wanna be a wee wee." The joke is that being a wee wee is causing them a great deal of discomfort. This episode is similar to the one where Bart makes a kissy face, "A Couple of Schmucks", because the two dads are confused and angry."

"in this episode of The Simpsons, Maggie finds out she has a talent for tea, Bart discovers he's been asleep for 30 years, and the family is visited by a dryad."

See, I can tell these are fake because I'd actually watch most of these

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PinheadSlim posted:

a music album called "The Simpsons Sing the Blues" featuring 4 or 5 songs

It had way more songs than that IIRC.

I listened to it a lot when I was eight lol

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

resting bort face posted:

It had way more songs than that IIRC.

There was Do the Bartman, Deep Deep Trouble, Look at All Those Idiots, and the sound of the fast forward button being held down between them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

J-Spot posted:

There was Do the Bartman, Deep Deep Trouble, Look at All Those Idiots, and the sound of the fast forward button being held down between them.

Office Full of Idiots :colbert:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I remember as a kid I had a CD full of Simpsons songs, most of them were pretty bad

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Iron Crowned posted:

A factory full of fools!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They xerox their buttockses and guess who pays the dime!

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

look at this idiot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1MqzjqF8mg

Data Graham posted:

:same: but I never got an answer, is this a sly allusion that I'm still too dense to get?

was there an episode at some point where they went to a boat show and Bob Denver was there? I guess they just love boat shows

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It makes no sense there was a Simpsons album. Lisa is the only character that doesn't sound like trash singing.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Family Guy did an album too so who knows what horrors lie in that one

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

Family Guy's songs are muuuuuuuch better though. Miles ahead. All those Road To episodes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
There are multiple Simpsons albums. Two have original music and there are three that are collections of songs from the show, plus the soundtrack to the movie as well.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah you can poo poo on Family Guy all you want because it's genuinely awful 90% of the time, but Seth Macfarlane is actually musically talented and the songs across both Family Guy and American Dad honestly put The Simpsons to shame in a major way.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Simpsons Christmas Boogie?!

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It didn't take them very long to mock Simpsonsmania

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Milk-caused_Hurdles

Huh, it's the same episode that had the La-Z Rider opening.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

bobjr posted:

If it has "Christmastime Is Killing Us", it's already better than every Simpsons album ever made.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Aren't 90% of Family Guy songs rehashes from old musicals? Like a LOT of Bing Crosby stuff. I ran into that Shapoopie song in its original form not too long ago.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I don’t particularly consider a straight-arrow performance of “So Long, Farewell” to be the kind of thing a musical genius writer does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Atlas Hugged posted:

There are multiple Simpsons albums. Two have original music and there are three that are collections of songs from the show, plus the soundtrack to the movie as well.

"Songs in the Key of Springfield" is p. much essential to own and "Who Needs the Quik-E-Mart" and "Stop the Planet of the Apes, I Want to Get Off" are both better than any fuckin' Family Guy garbage