Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's some poo poo from Power Rangers, but the Trump-appointed Ambassador to Denmark was no loving joke the lead actress in an MST3K movie.

Oh my bad. I confess super sentai was never my genre of choice, but I respect it.

As you can tell I am a normal human, beep boop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1298199318281715712?s=19

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Kesper North posted:

Oh my bad. I confess super sentai was never my genre of choice, but I respect it.

As you can tell I am a normal human, beep boop.

Alright cool but why're you telling me that? :confused:

Edit: In current event news, a black CSU football player at his part-time roofing job and his co-worker were held at gunpoint in Loveland, CO by a white guy who thought they were "Antifa guys," because selling roofing is a well-known revenue stream for Antifa, Inc.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/colorado-state-football-player-held-at-gunpoint-by-man-who-mistook-him-for-antifa-member/

Beepity Boop fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 25, 2020

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
NPR now carrying a story that the Liberty U board is attempting to force Falwell Jr. out:

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/24/905600300/falwell-resigns-from-liberty-university-following-sex-scandal-allegations

Consenting adults and all, so whatever. But I really didn't appreciate how batshit crazy Liberty is until I started traveling through there for work. Like, proselytizing random folks in restaurants (never got yelled at for swearing in public by the purity police, but I've heard stories). I'm glad the hypocrisy has reached a point where his home turf can't stand it. Lynchburg feels like an otherwise decent town aside from the University who treats its employees and students like poo poo.

https://twitter.com/Zeddary/status/1297947585047560192

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 25, 2020

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh give it a few years and he'll have his "redeemed sinner" storyline ready to go to get back on the religious grifting gravy train. Evangelicals eat that poo poo with a spoon.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Wasn’t it that he was skimming Liberty funds to help keep his pool boy quiet?

Edit: never mind. It wasn’t funds, just that, to keep his proclivities quiet, he used his and the “university’s” name to promote Trump.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 25, 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Let's check in on colleges!

https://twitter.com/KerryHowley/status/1298208818841739264?s=19

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1298229356725141509?s=19

Still not great!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Jacob Blake is still alive and is paralyzed from the waist down.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jacob Blake is still alive and is paralyzed from the waist down.

No big deal then, carry on everyone.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

egyptian rat race posted:

Lynchburg feels like an otherwise decent town aside from the University who treats its employees and students like poo poo.

...and the whole 'the name of the town' thing. John Lynch was better than his brother Charles, whom the practice of lynching was named for, but he was still a slaveowner.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/chadgarland/status/1298286398299090944?s=20

California man masquerading for years as federal agent pulled over motorists, obtained guns, feds allege

quote:

LOS ANGELES (Tribune News Service) — Last May, agents from the State Department’s Diplomatic Security Service showed up at an Orange County retirement community to serve a search warrant. They were joined by a man wearing a ballistic vest, a pistol strapped to his thigh and a badge on his chest, who introduced himself as a special agent with Homeland Security Investigations.

Donovan Nguyen accompanied the agents and was the first one through the door of the home they searched, one of the agents recalled last month to Alnahl Jones — a real agent with Homeland Security Investigations.

Nguyen, Jones wrote in an affidavit, is a civilian who has masqueraded as a federal agent for years, parading around in body armor, openly carrying firearms, pulling over motorists with red and blue lights installed in his pickup truck, and purchasing guns with fake Department of Homeland Security credentials.

Nguyen, who lives in the city of Orange, was arrested Monday and charged with impersonating a federal agent. It wasn’t immediately clear from court records if he had a lawyer.

Nguyen, 34, has never been employed by Homeland Security Investigations, much less worked for the agency as a special agent, Jones wrote in the affidavit. Most recently, he has worked as a security guard at Laguna Woods Village, a gated retirement community in Orange County.

Federal agents were tipped to Nguyen in June by investigators from the Riverside County district attorney’s office, court records show.

The owner of a gun store in Riverside had reported a potential criminal case to the county prosecutor’s office and asked their investigators to partner with Nguyen, whom he believed to be a special agent. The gun salesman had sold Nguyen seven firearms over the years, with Nguyen presenting credentials at each purchase identifying him as a “lieutenant” with the Department of Homeland Security, Jones’ affidavit said.

Riverside investigators left Nguyen several voicemails, and in June, he called them back, Jones wrote in the affidavit. Nguyen said he had reviewed the gun dealer’s tip but wasn’t willing to take the case because a witness had been deported, the affidavit said.

The Riverside investigators followed up with a Homeland Security Investigations office in San Bernardino. No one by that name worked for the agency, investigators quickly determined, and they started digging into Nguyen’s background.

They found his LinkedIn profile, which describes him as a 12-year agent, and a YouTube interview in which he introduces himself as a special agent and discusses federal immigration policies.

Investigators learned Nguyen had previously worked for Paragon Systems, a contractor that provides security at Department of Homeland Security sites. Assigned to a base in Riverside, the Air and Marine Operations Center, one of Nguyen’s duties was to print access cards for employees and visitors, Jones wrote in the affidavit.

Nguyen was barred from the base in 2015 after an internal investigation found he had printed fake Homeland Security credentials for himself and two co-workers, Jones wrote.

The Riverside gun salesman told investigators Nguyen and the co-workers used the ID cards to buy weapons. Presenting law enforcement credentials “allowed him to avoid taking and paying for certain firearm safety courses required by the State of California,” Jones wrote in the affidavit. Nguyen bought seven weapons at the Riverside shop and purchased 42 firearms in all in California, Jones wrote.

After being ousted from the Riverside base, Nguyen took a job as a supervisor at Laguna Woods Village, an upscale retirement community, where he worked alongside a number of retired police officers, Jones wrote.

Although the community’s security guards were supposed to be unarmed, Nguyen carried firearms openly and attributed the weaponry to his primary job as a federal agent, employees told investigators.

Tom Siviglia, a security manager and a retired Cypress police officer, said Nguyen often showed up to work late and left early, explaining he was “doing his ‘agent’ duties,” Jones wrote in the affidavit. He often came to the retirement community “tacted out” — wearing full tactical gear — and sporting a firearm and a Homeland Security badge, Siviglia told investigators.

Nguyen kept a plaque on his desk that identified him as a captain with the Department of Homeland Security, Jones’ affidavit said. He sent emails from a “dhs.gov” account he’d kept from his time working at the Riverside base, signing off emails with a signature that identified him as the “director” of an unspecified “JTF,” or joint task force, according to the affidavit.

With Carlos Rojas, the retirement community’s security director and Santa Ana’s former police chief, Nguyen discussed the civil unrest sweeping the country “in which DHS agents have played a prominent and controversial role,” Jones wrote. According to the affidavit, Nguyen texted Rojas, “We got orders to shoot freely just now.”

Rojas told the agents Nguyen used red and blue lights installed in his Toyota Tacoma to pull over co-workers. Robert Martinez, a retired police officer, told investigators he “was leaving work when he saw red and blue lights in his rear-view mirror and heard a siren chirp.” He pulled over and Nguyen pulled alongside him, Jones’ affidavit said.

“Did I scare you, Martinez?” he recalled Nguyen saying, before laughing and driving away.

Of all his alleged charades, the most daring came when a pair of agents from the State Department showed up at Laguna Woods Village to serve a warrant in May 2019.

A few days earlier, one of the agents, Nico Figueroa, had visited the retirement community and met Nguyen, who introduced himself as a security supervisor and a Homeland Security agent, Figueroa told investigators.

The morning of the takedown, Nguyen greeted the State Department agents in “tactical raid gear, a thigh holster with a weapon and ballistic vest displaying an HSI badge,” Jones’ affidavit said. Nguyen told the agents he was assigned to a terrorism task force and had “worked all night,” but he “still wanted to show up to help execute the warrant,” Figueroa recalled him saying.

Nguyen accompanied the State Department agents and was the first one through the door of the home they searched, the agents told Jones.

“Agents would never allow an employee of a private security company, even if the company worked security at the facility being searched, to participate in executing a warrant in that manner,” Jones wrote.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
These days, the clue he’s not a federal agent is that he tells you he’s a federal agent.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lol other feds just let him join??

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PookBear posted:

One does not look at police agencies to find professionalism.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CainFortea posted:

One does not look at police agencies to find professionalism.

yeah but this wasn't a local PD this was State Department’s Diplomatic Security Service

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PookBear posted:

yeah but this wasn't a local PD this was State Department’s Diplomatic Security Service

Did I say "local police"?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

PookBear posted:

Per the article he once was contract security at a DHS facility where he gained access to the ID badge printer and made himself fraudulent credentials.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Reminds me of this guy:

quote:

The two-time convicted felon William James Clark impersonated a U.S. Army captain at the disaster scene for two days. Clark's efforts included directing FBI agents and appropriating vehicles and equipment for the rescue effort, before fleeing the scene. Clark was later apprehended in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-40_bridge_disaster

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Did I say "local police"?

people don't usually refer to the feds as police

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

PookBear posted:

The only member of the USDSS worth their salt is Luke Hobbs.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PookBear posted:

people don't usually refer to the feds as police

Think of it as a preview for the post-2020 world.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

The only member of the USDSS worth their salt is Luke Hobbs.

Too bad he's always getting into shenanigans with that Shaw fella

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dude is Butcher from 'The Boys'

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
which one of you dense motherfuckers was defending politifact again?

https://twitter.com/nataliesurely/status/1298317210302197761?s=20

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fact Checkers, outside of noted Canadian Daniel Dale, are useless because they will contort themselves into a pretzel to not call a politician out

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Looks like this whole affair has finished after swinging back and forth.

https://twitter.com/jackmjenkins/status/1298326301137395712?s=19

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

Looks like this whole affair has finished after swinging back and forth.

https://twitter.com/jackmjenkins/status/1298326301137395712?s=19

lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Here you go Shima, new idea for protecting your bee friends.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That seems like a recipe for disaster.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fister Roboto posted:

That seems like a recibee for disaster.

please

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Fister Roboto posted:

That seems like a recipe for convenient honey.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Anyone who gets that and doesn't put a "Break in case of emergency" sticker on it is a joyless monster.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

Per the article he once was contract security at a DHS facility where he gained access to the ID badge printer and made himself fraudulent credentials.

more convincingly, had a valid @dhs.gov email all the way up until he got caught

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

shame on an IGA posted:

more convincingly, had a valid @dhs.gov email all the way up until he got caught

That's actually the craziest thing IMO.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Godholio posted:

That's actually the craziest thing IMO.

Seriously, with how often accounts would get locked/deleted when someone was actively trying to stay current the fact a fired dude kept his dot gov was the most surprising part of that story

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/nws/status/1298362509825581063?s=21

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

trump finished the nixon speedrun and is now doing the w expert mode until time runs out

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

so front row third from left is hell of dead now, right?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I made the mistake of mentioning mail in voting on my hometown page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Proud Christian Mom posted:

which one of you dense motherfuckers was defending politifact again?

https://twitter.com/nataliesurely/status/1298317210302197761?s=20

It was me, but its not that I like politfact, it just seemed consistent with their methods of reporting and outright explained in words next to the picture, the nuances you need to make an informed decision about the statement. It was not buried under some pay walled article on some other site or difficult to get to.. I dont support or deride or know enough specifically about politifact to carry an informed opinion on them as an organization.

I apparently did not take enough pains to make clear that arguments for it having been an ethical violation were based on feeling inspired by an illustration than the words next to it clearly explaining some failure of the administration that I forget the details of. And that this indicates that your political messaging must be clearly defined as in support of your audience's ideologies prior to any of the words next to it or you risk condemnation.

It's perfectly plausible that Politifact is an non neutral organization that favors certain entities. I dont believe that the former tweet referenced served as sufficient evidence to demonstrate this.

That you cannot or refuse to distinguish between the two ideas, whether I agree with an argument or whether I agree with a position, puts you in a nigh unreachable position. That one is a dense motherfucker deserving of derision because any refusal to agree with a point based not on evidence of that point but instead based on stated idealogical lines makes me feel that rationale is not your intent. Perhaps it frightens you.

I'm not going to look up this ad right now. Maybe later if the subject remains germaine to the thread, but I really don't want to because if my previous assumptions carry true, I will just be embroiled in another argument with someone who I both agree with on position and has no interest in rationale. What continues to bother me, is that the nature of Twitter and the modern dialog is such that most people who will respond in agreement or disagreement or form strong opinions on that statement will also likely have not viewed the source material. If somehow later they do, they will incentivised to stick to a biased original interpretation and are through this encouraged to avoid critical examination.

I know its much easier for you to find someone to hate PCM, and just hate hate hate. Sorry.