Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Any suggestion on what to do with this banner? It's very rough for the moment obviously (and the Ardboy holding it too), but I don't have a lot of inspiration as to what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

Also what's a black that coats really well? I bought some Army Painter black and it's so thin it doesn't cover well at all. I think I've heard the new Abaddon Black from GW is also not as good as whatever their old black used to be called?

I find the vallejo blacks cover pretty well. I use the metallic air black and it's great. Have also heard good things about the GW contrast black.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Abaddon black covers well enough but it has a glossy finish that I don’t like at all

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Furism posted:

Any suggestion on what to do with this banner? It's very rough for the moment obviously (and the Ardboy holding it too), but I don't have a lot of inspiration as to what to do.

I'd give it a wash to put some orange in the recesses! Maybe some chipping and black pieces to offset the hard yellow.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Seldom Posts posted:

I find the vallejo blacks cover pretty well. I use the metallic air black and it's great.

Vallejo Model Color black and German gray are both good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Furism posted:

It's Warhammer, so more skulls

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fyrbrand posted:

I painted a bunch of stuff for Riot Quest, a game I've never gotten to play thanks to the end of the world and all:

I've never heard of the game, but those are some cool looking figures, and you've done a nice job with the painting! I particularly like these two, who I assume are called "Goblin Tank Police" and "Hardcore Pokemon Master" respectively.

Lasting Damage posted:

The gun definitely needs to be a different color from the warrior's body. Even a neutral grey or something might do the trick.

Can't remember if I've posted in this thread before, but I wanted to start sharing some stuff I've been doing because this thread is really cool and full of great paint jobs. First is this Phobos Captain I painted up. The original idea was for him to be named special character, which is why I made a few customizations.

This guy looks great in general, but I particularly like your autumn camoflage pattern cloak.

Seldom Posts posted:

I find the vallejo blacks cover pretty well. I use the metallic air black and it's great. Have also heard good things about the GW contrast black.

Depends what you are using it for. I love the contrast black, its great for black hair, I like it for black cloth, its a nice colour over a metallic for weapons and stuff, it works over white and works really well over a zenithal, but... It is a contrast paint, so coverage is a relative term. I wouldnt try to paint base rims with it (source: Me thinking I've grabbed the pot of abbadon black I have lying around and having a nightmare of a time trying to paint base rims with black templar contrast before noticing I have the wrong pot) or use it to shade other, non contrast, paints.

I find Abaddon Black is decent enough myself, it is thick as hell and needs more thinning that most of my other GW paints, but thats managable. I'm not that fussed by the finish because by the time I've done my varnishes its not particularly noticable anyway. Coat d'arms black is kind of disappointing in my experience, I was expecting it to be like the old GW Chaos Black, but its slightly weak and thin (although its possible I just have a bad pot of it). Not unusable, but not as strong as I would like.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Carefully Completed a Canoptek Cloak Crytptek

https://i.imgur.com/rPnHYtr.mp4

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 25, 2020

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Paint the jaw rusty metal on the banner atleast. Maybe do the horns more to look like they came from a longhorn.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Verisimilidude posted:

I'd give it a wash to put some orange in the recesses! Maybe some chipping and black pieces to offset the hard yellow.

Ah yes, sure, I had planned to do that for the yellow part. But I'm not sure which part I should paint not yellow (maybe some form of weathered steel). The tip of the horns? The "helmet" ? Etc.

MRLOLAST posted:

Paint the jaw rusty metal on the banner atleast. Maybe do the horns more to look like they came from a longhorn.

Alright! Would you suggest doing only the jaw or the upper half of the helmet as well?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Did a couple more Darkest Dungeon dudes, the Bounty Hunter and the Occultist:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
All things considered, this guy was a lot of fun to paint

I don't even play AdMech, I just think they look neat

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I love this game, and these minis look terrific.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Is the guy selling these on etsy legit? Where else can I get these?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Apologies if this has been covered, is the Army Painter 100 pack decent? Considering snagging it to bulk fill colors but I’ve only used Citadels so far. Considering grabbing some Gloomspite Gitz so I’d like the variety for squigs.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

goodness posted:

Is the guy selling these on etsy legit? Where else can I get these?

Yeah he’s the guy who makes them, you won’t find them anywhere else.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

^burtle posted:

Apologies if this has been covered, is the Army Painter 100 pack decent? Considering snagging it to bulk fill colors but I’ve only used Citadels so far. Considering grabbing some Gloomspite Gitz so I’d like the variety for squigs.

Having bought the 50 pack, I'd say they're worse than vallejo but still usable. Read the instructions and dump the stuff off the top of the bottle the way they tell you to.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

^burtle posted:

You're going to want some agitators. Stainless Steel ball bearings would probably be best, I used some glass beads and I wish I'd gone for something with a bit more heft. Some of their paints are fine without, others require a good bit of shaking if they've been sitting for a while (and then are fine once thoroughly shaken). Or one of those little motorized shakers for nail varnish, but thats probably overkill. Their washes are very good.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

^burtle posted:

I bought the 50 pack and think it's great. Solid price for this many colors, including several washes and 2 effect paints (rust and blood). I think some of the paints are relatively pigment thin, requiring a couple coats to get solid coverage, but I haven't had much issue with these paints beyond that. I like having access to many different colors as it's a pain for me to go to a FLGS to pick up paint, and while I find myself using other specific paints more frequently (GW mostly), I still use plenty of the paints in this set.

They're definitely not the best quality paints compared to Vallejo or GW, but they're great for this price point. I paid ~$100 for the 50 piece set.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Is there any easy way to make gloss paints flat? I bought a few Tamiya X paints instead of XF by mistake.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a matte varnish will do that for you

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Army Painter stuff is a decent cheap option, but it wouldn't be my first choice unless budget is your primary concern. Their washes are great, but a lot of the colors have coverage issues. I'd rather have a smaller number of really good colors than a hundred mediocre ones.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Personally I would just buy colors as I needed them and save for a better set.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Thanks for the feedback all. I’ll take the pass and keep buying piecemeal for now.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
made some dwarf shooters. these are GW warmaster dwarf thunderers, sculpts that are not great quality these days

these sculpts however, i adore:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
If you want to buy a starter set of paints, really I'd get the Vallejo Game Color basic set. Its ~$40 for the 16 colors you are most likely to use. The Vallejo paints are consistently better than AP. Combine with some washes (AP washes are really good) and you've got everything you need to get started on most types of minis.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

If you want to buy a starter set of paints, really I'd get the Vallejo Game Color basic set. Its ~$40 for the 16 colors you are most likely to use. The Vallejo paints are consistently better than AP. Combine with some washes (AP washes are really good) and you've got everything you need to get started on most types of minis.

yeah the vgc set is excellent value. i would recommend it to any new painter, along with a couple of GW washes

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yeah he’s the guy who makes them, you won’t find them anywhere else.

Keep in mind that will change in the future: there’s going to be a Darkest Dungeon board game with miniatures:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/darkest-dungeon-board-game-revealed/

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a good place online to buy like, generic fantasy enemy minis? After painting a bunch of Gloomhaven minis, I'm considering buying and painting things like skeletons, bandits, zombies etc.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

If I were just starting painting with the knowledge I have now I'd buy a Reaper paint set.

edit: I've found that the consistency of the paints is more consistent across bottles than other brands. They thin very easily and have little surface tension. It is not an exaggeration to say they changed the way I paint.

Cat Face Joe fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 25, 2020

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is there a good place online to buy like, generic fantasy enemy minis? After painting a bunch of Gloomhaven minis, I'm considering buying and painting things like skeletons, bandits, zombies etc.

https://www.reapermini.com/

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

folks, i can't get enough reaper

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Some suggestions

Fun minis with lots of character. Remind me a lot of Citadel miniatures.
https://www.midlamminiatures.co.uk/

Miniatures based on art of some of the top fantasy cover artists of the 80s and 90s.
https://www.darkswordminiatures.com/

Throwback minis based on the monster art in the earliest rpg monster manuals.
https://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/

Fun fantasy pirates
https://www.blackscorpionminiatures.com/

Amazing detailed monsters
https://zealotminiatures.com/

High quality dwarves and others
https://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?group=155

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Bucnasti posted:

(AP washes are really good)

Vallejo is known to be fantastic, but I'd especially like to boost this. Get the set of AP washes, it comes with washes you wouldn't ordinarily think to use.

Next thing you know, you're shading red with purple and feeling like a 1997 Golden Demon champ.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Combat Arena painted up and thanks to I think this thread I attempted the blackstone fortress basing scheme (which eh it's good enough for me but I should have thinned the wash part more and also sand your bases before you put minis on if you need to paint a smooth base).

Individual shots album

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, third'ing Reaper Bones. The multi part ones will have bad gaps but the price is just so drat cheap it's hard to complain.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

The WizKids D&D/Pathfinder minis can also be decent for enemies. Pre-primed, so consider you’ll have to contend with mold lines and some soft features, but if you’re just looking to buy and quick-paint, they’re pretty good.

These goblins were one pack of the Pathfinder minis:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So my FLGS does painting contests every so often. I like doing them since they're usually a mini I'd never buy and paint. So for this most current one we were given an Owlbear, and also provided a larger base to in part focus on basing.

So I did a panda owlbear.

Who would obviously be in a bamboo forest.

Did I go the insanity of black and white in one model? Yes I did.

But contrast paint really helped, especially on these models with these big exaggerated crevasses.

Especially how the apothecary white settled in and made that gray off white.

I like how it turned out.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It looks great but a nitpick is that bamboo is green and segmented. I wouldn't have understood that (e: that it's supposed to be in a bamboo forest) without reading the post.

Eej fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Some more Marvel Crisis Protocol stuff I've done the past few months:

I get to paint infrequently at best anymore, but feels good to make progress at least.