Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

excellent bird guy posted:

What is the general consensus regarding Larry Zbyszko? I think he's boring. Wow he wears wacky zany shirts, so what. Larry + Tony are not a good commentary team.

I can't stand that fucker. The only reason I don't think he's the worst on the desk of all time is that Mark Madden happens to also exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

JOHN CENA posted:

kidman was incredibly sloppy in the ring. he wasn't a great talker either. him holding the belt probably would have been worse than ronnie garvin. the guys who were close to that level and never held it probably but could have should have been eddie guerrero, raven was definitely up there for popularity and could have worked, malenko maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe could have gotten there but his size would have made it a real tough sell for a lengthy reign. and then mongo would be the next logical contender/champion.

Billy K was a d lister riding on Scotty "The Cocaine Raven" Flamingo's coat-tails. His gimmick was he itched a lot, not very good imo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

What is the general consensus regarding Larry Zbyszko? I think he's boring. Wow he wears wacky zany shirts, so what. Larry + Tony are not a good commentary team.

Great promo guy but for that reason not a good announcer because he just spent his time getting himself over. Which while you were watching in 97 it was fun live because it made you want to see matches you eventually got, but those matches were not very good! Commentary is also funny in retrospect since all of the wrestlers he says are taking too many risks were still wrestling at the age he was just an announcer or out of the business completely.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.
THE GAME OF HUMAN CHESS! is the only thing worth a drat to come out of Zybszko's mouth on commentary. The rest sounded like a bitter boomer.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

He'd have a good line here or there but mostly just sounded bored or annoyed and like he hated everybody. I don't know. He just sounded like a grandpa forced to watch wrestling with his grandkid, but drat it, it's not wrestling like it used to be!

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you all agree with Bryan and friends that people like Malenko and Kidman, no matter how talented or over they were, just weren't cut out to be main eventers? That even great wrestlers can have a place that is lower on the card?

I think there was a certain era where WCW could have made anyone a main eventer and was open to experimenting with that. DDP was not a main event home run on the surface, but he grew organically and we got that big main event run. With how over Raven was for a time, I think he could have had at least one World Title reign which could have led to a feud with Kidman. Kidman was incredibly over as Cruiserweight Champion and always had really great matches with other great cruiserweights (lovely SSP not withstanding). I think Kidman being so successful post-Flock could have led to challenging a World Champ Raven even if it didn't amount to him winning the title or hanging around the main event scene for long afterward.

Malenko probably could have had a short main event run, too. He was great in the ring and the overall WCW fan base really responded to great wrestlers differently than the overall WWF fan base ever did. Plus, he had the immediate Horsemen attachment so he could have easily been slotted into any spot in the card thanks to that association. I don't think he would have been on top for years, but they could have done far worse than a string of PPVs with Malenko in the main event.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Larry Zbyszko had his moments but constantly being smartened up before things happened, then doing the :smug: "oh ho! I was right!" schtick got really old really fuckin' fast.

E: he had it out for cruiserweights too and that got really tiring.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

What the absolute gently caress is anything involving David Flair? I don't think I've ever seen him wrestle so far. He's just constantly in weird betrayal angles.

The 49ers match is on the stream right now.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 25, 2020

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

What the absolute gently caress is anything involving David Flair? I don't think I've ever seen him wrestle so far. He's just constantly in weird betrayal angles.

Oh god that match, it's.... really something.

David seemed to get flung into angles to add some family drama to things but god bless him, he was green as hell and never seemed to get much training.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

He said " In the yeeeears and yeeeears of Wrestling" so many times

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DJExile posted:

Oh god that match, it's.... really something.

David seemed to get flung into angles to add some family drama to things but god bless him, he was green as hell and never seemed to get much training.

The man's bedroom was an unfinished hole in the basement and he couldn't go to the family swimming pool but instead had to swim in the shark-infested creek. No poo poo they never gave him any training.

Seriously though, that segment was awesome. And he and Daffney worked well together as crazy people.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 25, 2020

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

David was best doing the unhinged trio thing with Daffney and Crowbar. Everything else was just not good.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

He said " In the yeeeears and yeeeears of Wrestling" so many times

The Game of Human Chess

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah crazy David Flair worked well.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Larry always tried to play up how much he wasn't afraid of the NWO, to the point of staring them down when they came to the announcer's table or talking about how he could take them when they weren't around. I don't remember anything ever coming of it so it was just more of Larry putting himself over and nobody giving a poo poo tell him to knock it off.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
David worked for WCW specifically to be close to his dad.

Doesn't speak all that well of Ric that David felt he had to.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Crazy David Flair was fine for a comedy skit but most crazy David Flair skits weren't actually meant for comedy and some were part of "serious" feuds.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Larry always tried to play up how much he wasn't afraid of the NWO, to the point of staring them down when they came to the announcer's table or talking about how he could take them when they weren't around. I don't remember anything ever coming of it so it was just more of Larry putting himself over and nobody giving a poo poo tell him to knock it off.

It was to build up matches with Bischoff and Hall. Some of it was just his ego but they planted the seeds for those matches half a year or more in advance.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DJExile posted:

He had, like, two weeks of training at the Power Plant and everything else was on-the-job.

MassRafTer posted:

Crazy Ric Flair was fine for a comedy skit but most crazy Ric Flair skits weren't actually meant for comedy and some were part of "serious" feuds.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Isn't Larry a crazy conspiracy theorist? I vaguely remember something about that when Alvarez had him on his show one time.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Flight Bisque posted:

Isn't Larry a crazy conspiracy theorist? I vaguely remember something about that when Alvarez had him on his show one time.
Yeah it's an all-time great Alvarez interview from 2012. There is no death. We are beings of light.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I wish more old white men would get into the "We're receiving frequencies from a higher dimension of perfect harmony" type of conspiracism instead of the 14 Words kind.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

David worked for WCW specifically to be close to his dad.

Doesn't speak all that well of Ric that David felt he had to.

Ric was a limousine riding, jet flying, wheelin' dealin', kiss-stealing son of a gun; that clearly excludes stuff like quality family time spendin' or sufficient time at home stayin'

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Yeah it's an all-time great Alvarez interview from 2012. There is no death. We are beings of light.

Larry Zbyszko, Jedi Master is a gimmick I wanna see right the hell now.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
A question actually, who was it that wanted to bring Awesome in in the first place? I'd been led to believe that it was Russo but maybe it was Sullivan during Russo's sabbatical? Did a Turner exec hear the name somewhere and push for him to get signed?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
If I want to get through a year of WCW Nitros, I'm going to go ahead and skip to Bobby the Brain's turn in the second half, I don't think I'm missing much. Bobby + Dusty getting drunk , commentating, that is the poo poo, that's the good stuff.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

A question actually, who was it that wanted to bring Awesome in in the first place? I'd been led to believe that it was Russo but maybe it was Sullivan during Russo's sabbatical? Did a Turner exec hear the name somewhere and push for him to get signed?

Bischoff is the one who handled the back and forth with ECW and to the best of my memory made the call to sign him. I believe Awesome made overtures through Hogan (since Hogan's associates leaked the news in the first place) and it went through Bischoff from there.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

MassRafTer posted:

Bischoff is the one who handled the back and forth with ECW and to the best of my memory made the call to sign him. I believe Awesome made overtures through Hogan (since Hogan's associates leaked the news in the first place) and it went through Bischoff from there.

Thanks! I wasn't sure what sort of power Bischoff still had at that point. Is that why his push died so hard, because Bischoff and Hogan were gone not long after?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I seem to remember Zbyszko trying like hell to get "New World Odor" over for like the first six months of the nWo's existence.

And regarding David Flair, I know he wanted to be a police officer or state trooper and was basically forced into being a wrestler for a while. Was Arquette's character in Ready to Rumble supposed to be a rib on the Flairs? It was a cop family that tried to force the son into being a cop when he really wanted to be a wrestler.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Get it, because Duggan says USA and now he's Canadian! :russo:

I love when Bryan asked Lance Storm about the Team Canada stuff and Lance was talking about how Vince Russo was constantly like "see you get this thing wrong because it's funny" (example, getting the number of states wrong if I remember right) and Lance's constant refrain was ":what: Why am I dumb?" and Vince's inability to explain that resulting in Lance getting some creative victories over Russo.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
You guys remember when Zbyszko "feuded" with Louie Spiccoli and when the latter passed away during the feud Zbyszko said something to the effect of "out of respect for his family l'll keep my comments to myself", all just to maintain kayfabe?

gently caress Zbyszko

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Better Than You posted:

You guys remember when Zbyszko "feuded" with Louie Spiccoli and when the latter passed away during the feud Zbyszko said something to the effect of "out of respect for his family l'll keep my comments to myself", all just to maintain kayfabe?

gently caress Zbyszko

The doctor that prescribed the hundreds of Somas that Spicolli killed himself with was at that night's Nitro.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
In Sabu's biography he has a weird story about when WCW was trying to sign him but ECW was disputing it and saying Sabu was still under contract. Kevin Sullivan invited him to a hotel and told him he absolutely HAD to stay in the room. He gave him the WCW contract and told him to sign it IMMEDIATELY and don't talk to ANYONE.

Sabu being Sabu didn't sign it and just wandered around the hotel until he found Sullivan's room. He burst in and Sullivan was in there with other booking committee members, most notably Terry Taylor whom he hated. Sullivan freaks out and pushes him out of the room in a panic, desperately asking him if he had signed the contract yet, which Sabu had not. Within like an hour or so someone had already stooged to WCW higher-ups and Paul Heyman and Sabu's contract was immediately yanked. Not sure if Sullivan thought if he got Sabu under contract they could just buy Heyman off later or what, but WCW seemed like quite a crazy place contract-wise.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tato posted:

In Sabu's biography he has a weird story about when WCW was trying to sign him but ECW was disputing it and saying Sabu was still under contract. Kevin Sullivan invited him to a hotel and told him he absolutely HAD to stay in the room. He gave him the WCW contract and told him to sign it IMMEDIATELY and don't talk to ANYONE.

Sabu being Sabu didn't sign it and just wandered around the hotel until he found Sullivan's room. He burst in and Sullivan was in there with other booking committee members, most notably Terry Taylor whom he hated. Sullivan freaks out and pushes him out of the room in a panic, desperately asking him if he had signed the contract yet, which Sabu had not. Within like an hour or so someone had already stooged to WCW higher-ups and Paul Heyman and Sabu's contract was immediately yanked. Not sure if Sullivan thought if he got Sabu under contract they could just buy Heyman off later or what, but WCW seemed like quite a crazy place contract-wise.

lmao good lord

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't really know how this stuff works, but if the booking committee was working closely on signing talent then I'd expect it to be a loving mess, because the booking committee was a loving mess.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Thanks! I wasn't sure what sort of power Bischoff still had at that point. Is that why his push died so hard, because Bischoff and Hogan were gone not long after?

I honestly think it was just because they didn't know how to push anyone at that point. Russo clearly wanted to push him, he just really sucked at it. But he did seem like he was getting something when they put him in the ring with Hogan, but the momentum really died when Bischoff decided Nash was more over in May of 2000 than at any time in his career (seriously) and Nash killed Awesome dead.

But he still got pushes after that, just bad pushes, but every 2000 push was going to be bad.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
“He threw him like a dart!” —Larry Z

When Nash threw Rey at the production trailer like a dart.

All time great call.

All this Kidman talk, come on, he was a top cruiserweight and should have been a tv title and maybe be in the us title scene if we also pretend those mattered after mid 1999.

I remember in 96 or 97 Kidman was wrestling Flair on the Sunday night show they taped at Universal. They kept saying how Kidman being a rookie didn’t stand a chance against the greatest of all time.

But they never gave him the jobber treatment, just this rookie is out matched against the legend.

Wcw pro, August 31 1997. Kidman got some moves in. It was like 4 minutes total. Woulda been a fun 8-10 if Kidman maybe had more then 30 seconds of offense. So we thought maybe he could pull off the upset here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The American Dream posted:

But they never gave him the jobber treatment,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NehFIEQsFlY

Kidman got exactly 3 moves of offense in this match. They jobbed him out plenty.

E: lol at that "STOP OVERREACTING SHIAVONE" sign

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I meant the one match against Flair on pro.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The American Dream posted:

I meant the one match against Flair on pro.

oh lol that's fair, yeah

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TheKingslayer posted:

Basically after a year of strife the nWo reunited with a very simple goal in mind; get David Flair laid.

Germansimp posted:

Ric was a limousine riding, jet flying, wheelin' dealin', kiss-stealing son of a gun; that clearly excludes stuff like quality family time spendin' or sufficient time at home stayin'

This 200%. Even in the ESPN 30 for 30 on him he talked about a time when he was at home with his family and no other distractions. He literally could not last 3 hours without having to run out and do something else. He knows what he is which is why he is a loving ghost these days.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

IronCladBurrito posted:

Feb 2000: The Rock tells Kevin Kelly to go make himself a glass of Shut Up Juice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9eeCr_MJVM

I remember reading that MIGHT have been a direct response to The Juice gimmick in WCW. IDK if I have the timeline right though.

Conan O'Brien used to tell his writers to have a big glass of shut-up juice whenever they would complain about something. Then one of his writers left to work for WWF, and the rest is history.
https://insidepulse.com/2006/06/21/49329/