Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Froghammer posted:

Counterpoint: Maze's End is cool and good, whereas Field is uncool and bad

Print Maze's end in Historic Wizards and I will buy one of those dumb cat things on the side of the playing field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

GoutPatrol posted:

Print Maze's end in Historic Wizards and I will buy one of those dumb cat things on the side of the playing field

i have good news

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

yeah ramp decks need to do something while they’re ramping to not die. field just let that happen incidentally, now you have to put spells in your deck and cast them so you don’t just lose on turn 4 to muxus or burn

field was garbage against muxus, like, a couple of 2/2 zombies on turn 4 is not going to beat muxus or burn or whatever, the thing that field was good against was uw control and monoblack control and the other slowboat strategies

if your aggro deck couldn't beat field of the dead it was a lovely aggro deck

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Time posted:

i have good news

gently caress, did they do this and I forgot

I'm honestly guessing that I posted about it 4-5 months ago or whenever they did it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Going through someone’s post history to own them is a self-own IMO

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Capone said the same thing about arresting someone for Tax Evasion

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

fadam posted:

Capone said the same thing about arresting someone for Tax Evasion

TBF that was the syphilis talking.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

neaden posted:

TBF that was the syphilis talking.

Syphillis, EDH, what's the difference tbh

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

Bust Rodd posted:

“One man’s trash” is a powerful axiom, I made enough money to buy a car and a pretty awesome vacation by roughly pulling the same stunt in college (not magic cards, just extremely valuable stuff the school I worked for was just throwing away, I’d tie those trash bags differently, then I would dumpster dive for them to sell the contents)

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Panzeh posted:

field was garbage against muxus, like, a couple of 2/2 zombies on turn 4 is not going to beat muxus or burn or whatever, the thing that field was good against was uw control and monoblack control and the other slowboat strategies

if your aggro deck couldn't beat field of the dead it was a lovely aggro deck

The numbers didn't follow this. Aggro could in fact not beat the deck that regularly plays Turn 3 Languish, Thoughtseizes and/or Gusts Muxus, and gets early Uros while filling the board with free 2/2s with any reliability.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I was on vacation the weekend Muxus had his coming out party, was the psychic damage from that weekend of people not being able to stop him that severe!!?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Muxus is basically banned in Bo3

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Who is dropping games against muxxus in Bo1 even? I was doing some testing with a Vampires deck in Historic and goblins was never even close to a threat.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Bust Rodd posted:

not gonna take posting lessons from the guy that thinks rape is good

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Who is dropping games against muxxus in Bo1 even? I was doing some testing with a Vampires deck in Historic and goblins was never even close to a threat.

I think the nut draw can run over a lot of people but yeah the deck feels kind of underwhelming now. I think it beats up on the fair decks but the format is so far past that now lol

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
More like Suxxus!!1!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can someone with SCG premium please tell me what this Mono-G list is

https://twitter.com/cedricaphillips/status/1297918286437314560?s=21

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Lone Goat posted:

Lol - and oof, thats a yikes.

Chris Chichester
Oct 23, 2001
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Can someone with SCG premium please tell me what this Mono-G list is

https://twitter.com/cedricaphillips/status/1297918286437314560?s=21

4 Garruk's Harbinger
4 Primal Might
2 Castle Garenbrig
4 Questing Beast
4 Stonecoil Serpent
4 Lovestruck Beast
3 Vivien, Arkbow Ranger
4 Barkhide Troll
2 Mobilized District
4 Pelt Collector
4 Scavenging Ooze
21 Forest

Sideboard
3 Gemrazer
4 Ram Through
4 Oakhame Adversary
4 Shifting Ceratops

With a win of a recent Magic Online Standard Challenge in the hands of Wily Edel as well as the most recent SCG Tour Online Championship Qualifier in the hands of Brendon Hansard, it’s safe to say that Mono-Green Aggro is Core Set 2021 Standard’s best aggro deck. And because of that, I expect more people to pick it up moving forward (at least in the short term). So what direction am I moving? Preparing for the mirror and other creature decks of course! Here are the (minor) changes:

Ranger’s Guile has been removed from the deck entirely. Yes, it’s good against all Sultai variants, but with what I expect to be an increase in aggro decks, I’d rather have…
A third copy of Vivien, Arkbow Ranger in the maindeck. Vivien dominates other creature decks and is problematic against all Sultai variants to warrant a third copy.
A fourth copy of Garruk’s Harbinger in the maindeck. This card has continued to overperform for me against all Sultai variants and is more than passable in mirrors (especially in combination with Vivien +1/+1 counters.
Cutting The Great Henge from the sideboard. I’ve discussed previously my disdain for this legendary artifact, and while it is good in the mirror, some assembly is definitely required and I don’t find it to be worth it. I’ve opted to play…
A third and fourth copy of Ram Through in the sideboard. If the mirror picks up in the fashion I expect, having eight fight spells, four each of Ram Through and Primal Might, as well as more Viviens than your opponent should be enough to get the job done. Having access to more Ram Throughs will also help in the off chance that Nightpack Ambusher picks back up in popularity (something I wouldn’t be surprised to see happen).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hell yeah dude thank you

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I found in a box of sports cards an ~8 inch thick stack of revised commons, uncommons and rares in mostly excellent condition(nothing like dual lands unfortunately) as well as some The Dark and Fallen Empires stuff, they have some dust on them that got in between some cards that I think I can clean off, but it won't come off with a paper towel. Would a damp hand towel wipe followed by a dry towel wipe to dry it off be sufficient to clean them and not damage them? Not sure how sensitive old cards are to moisture even in small amounts for a short period of time.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
A little window cleaner on a paper towel always worked fine for me. Test it out first, but I haven't had any problems with it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Yikes

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Captain Invictus posted:

I found in a box of sports cards an ~8 inch thick stack of revised commons, uncommons and rares in mostly excellent condition(nothing like dual lands unfortunately) as well as some The Dark and Fallen Empires stuff, they have some dust on them that got in between some cards that I think I can clean off, but it won't come off with a paper towel. Would a damp hand towel wipe followed by a dry towel wipe to dry it off be sufficient to clean them and not damage them? Not sure how sensitive old cards are to moisture even in small amounts for a short period of time.

Nylon stocking (or, modernly, microfiber cloth).

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Nail polish remover + steel wool will get that gunk out of there lickity-split.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I like to use a nice 400 grit sandpaper, then 800 to finish.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Throw them in the washing machine when you’re done for a good clean finish

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

odiv posted:

I like to use a nice 400 grit sandpaper, then 800 to finish.

i do this to get out the cheeto dust, but it doesnt help the mountain dew stains

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
smh at the people that are still double sleeving instead of simply dipping their cards in an elastomeric waterproof sealer

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

feed your cards into a GFAAS furnace to give them a healthy glow

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This thread has been really extra hostile the last three days, which I have just caught up on.

Please try to stop having really nasty and stupid fights. In particular let's stop having fights about whether or not field of the dead was worth banning or if it's good or bad that it's been banned. The sides are entrenched and nobody is changing their mind because of citations of recent tournament statistics, nor because of comparative analysis, nor because of the quality of the posting history of the various antagonists in the thread.

Let's move on.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Is mono blue tempo any good in historic? Like playable? I got the brazen borrowers and some other cards for it, and it doesn't look like it has any other mythics, plus it looks really fun.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mox Hombre posted:

Is mono blue tempo any good in historic? Like playable? I got the brazen borrowers and some other cards for it, and it doesn't look like it has any other mythics, plus it looks really fun.

It's playable, but probably not tier one. I had a really good day with it yesterday, and then this morning went 0 for 5 in Bo3.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yep, that fits the bill of a mono blue tempo deck! i'm gonna craft it and try some historic i guess

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Chris Chichester posted:

4 Garruk's Harbinger
4 Primal Might
2 Castle Garenbrig
4 Questing Beast
4 Stonecoil Serpent
4 Lovestruck Beast
3 Vivien, Arkbow Ranger
4 Barkhide Troll
2 Mobilized District
4 Pelt Collector
4 Scavenging Ooze
21 Forest

Sideboard
3 Gemrazer
4 Ram Through
4 Oakhame Adversary
4 Shifting Ceratops

With a win of a recent Magic Online Standard Challenge in the hands of Wily Edel as well as the most recent SCG Tour Online Championship Qualifier in the hands of Brendon Hansard, it’s safe to say that Mono-Green Aggro is Core Set 2021 Standard’s best aggro deck. And because of that, I expect more people to pick it up moving forward (at least in the short term). So what direction am I moving? Preparing for the mirror and other creature decks of course! Here are the (minor) changes:

Ranger’s Guile has been removed from the deck entirely. Yes, it’s good against all Sultai variants, but with what I expect to be an increase in aggro decks, I’d rather have…
A third copy of Vivien, Arkbow Ranger in the maindeck. Vivien dominates other creature decks and is problematic against all Sultai variants to warrant a third copy.
A fourth copy of Garruk’s Harbinger in the maindeck. This card has continued to overperform for me against all Sultai variants and is more than passable in mirrors (especially in combination with Vivien +1/+1 counters.
Cutting The Great Henge from the sideboard. I’ve discussed previously my disdain for this legendary artifact, and while it is good in the mirror, some assembly is definitely required and I don’t find it to be worth it. I’ve opted to play…
A third and fourth copy of Ram Through in the sideboard. If the mirror picks up in the fashion I expect, having eight fight spells, four each of Ram Through and Primal Might, as well as more Viviens than your opponent should be enough to get the job done. Having access to more Ram Throughs will also help in the off chance that Nightpack Ambusher picks back up in popularity (something I wouldn’t be surprised to see happen).

Thank gently caress they included a planeswalker. This deck almost looked fun to play against.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mox Hombre posted:

My friends gets to mythic every month playing it in BO3. I've had some success with it too but I don't find it as fun as last year's standard list.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dpulex posted:

Thank gently caress they included a planeswalker. This deck almost looked fun to play against.

leaning into the meme I see

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I don't think it's been mentioned but mtgo is getting new draft format: Solo drafting, two picks out of a pack then it's discarded and you get a new pack, 18 packs total. First up is all the Rav sets less War of the Spark and something else I don't remember.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Some Goon posted:

I don't think it's been mentioned but mtgo is getting new draft format: Solo drafting, two picks out of a pack then it's discarded and you get a new pack, 18 packs total. First up is all the Rav sets less War of the Spark and something else I don't remember.
what's the loving point of that? see who can randomly win the spin of the "Wheel of On-Color Bombs"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

what's the loving point of that? see who can randomly win the spin of the "Wheel of On-Color Bombs"?

I mean isnt getting lucky with bombs the only way to win draft anyway