Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For all the endless bitching about dad plots there are like, three prominent games with fatherhood themes made in the last five years. You might as well complain about the deluge of post-apocalyptic, samurai or Norse-themed games, there are a lot more examples of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

For all the endless bitching about dad plots there are like, three prominent games with fatherhood themes made in the last five years. You might as well complain about the deluge of post-apocalyptic, samurai or Norse-themed games, there are a lot more examples of those.

drat right. It's a second-hand observation made by people who can't be bothered to come up with an original thought.

Plus a lot of the dad plots in games are pretty good by video game standards.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

exquisite tea posted:

I think we're on the back end of Dad Plots rather than the peak, but to me it's always been less about the amount of Dad Plots and more about the prominence. For a good few years there (I don't know exactly when it started, but I always want to say The Last Of Us) it felt like every major game released by a western studio was either directly or indirectly about Dad Themes. And while there were plenty of alternatives it never felt like we were talking about them, because the Dad Games were sucking up all the oxygen in the room.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Nier Automata has a hacking minigame, which is a basic shoot em up. A lot of people have a problem with it, but I don't mind it. It's not my favorite thing ever, but I can deal with the basic concept.

What bugs me though, is that your "ship" can't be modified or customized in any way. In the main game, you can equip 20+ different melee weapons with different upgrades, as well as choosing between three different guns, and a nice selection of special attacks. You can customize your character's attributes as well.

But with hacking, you can't even switch between a normal shot or a spread shot. I feel like there would be so much potential to make your ship faster but weaker, or change the bullet type, or use a bomb attack, or even change the color of the little triangle. And instead, you're just shooting the same basic bullets over and over, which is a shame because it's one of the most powerful techniques in your arsenal.

Mass Effect and Borderlands 1/2/2.5 where the games are loot based rpgs but there are no rpg elements in the vehicle segments at all.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sekiro: Kill Your Dad Twice

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Mass Effect and Borderlands 1/2/2.5 where the games are loot based rpgs but there are no rpg elements in the vehicle segments at all.

In Dying Light every single melee weapon can be customized to have multiple variations with different elemental and damage types. Same thing with shields, throwing weapons and arrows. Guns however are only a couple of set types and there's no customization at all, despite the fact that there's a mission chain to find and recruit a gunsmith to help you. (You do and all he does is spawn a bunch of regular guns for you.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SubNat posted:

Aren't the people you meet already dead? They just haven't been able to pass on yet was how I understood it from playing a session.
They're dead and in limbo, waiting for you to ferry them beyond. (Which makes it feel all the stranger that seemingly everyone you knew died just recently, if that's the case.)

Keep playing, the cosmology is utterly hosed by the end and makes you basically an absolutely tremendous rear end in a top hat to Stanley, especially if you get the two optional characters. Also you force one character to go through which is also rude.

Your other points all valid and I have a huge pile of other complaints but I beat the game and did everything except the awful post final spirit content so obviously they didn't stop me.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

In Dying Light every single melee weapon can be customized to have multiple variations with different elemental and damage types. Same thing with shields, throwing weapons and arrows. Guns however are only a couple of set types and there's no customization at all, despite the fact that there's a mission chain to find and recruit a gunsmith to help you. (You do and all he does is spawn a bunch of regular guns for you.)

Playing that game now (stil early in) and I'm bummed I won't be able to shoot lightning bullets.

What's frustrating me about that game is a lot of weapons don't feel worth using. Big heavy two-handed weapons swing so slow without being that much stronger. I found a special shovel, but it was flat-out less useful than any random hammer or wrench I had.

On the other hand, I've heard knives are good for DPS, but I just end up swinging and getting a million hits but since it doesn't interrupt enemy attacks, I take damage too. Oh, and my knife has a flame upgrade, so two swings in and now I'm hurting myself because the sumbitch is on fire while I'm hitting him.

What am I missing?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Early on you want to focus on bashing weapons because they're better at knockback and stunning. Edged weapons start being useful once you begin to get stuff like swords and machetes. Knives are pretty much only good for throwing.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Good to know then. Thanks

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's mostly because they're the games all the hype about games finally being Mature and For Grown-Ups and Art swirls around. (Also I think a lot of people mentally group Logan in with them despite that being a movie just cause it's extremely the same.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Games have been Mature and for Grown-Ups since at least Final Fantasy X-2.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I got trackmania turbo for the kids to play and I have fond memories of playing an earlier trackmania (the first maybe) with friends at lanparties, and the second set of tracks in the campaign was a loving drag.

I'm bad at video games generally because I'm getting older, and I've never been particularly good at driving games, but I especially hate the rally type tracks where one mistake makes you spin out of control into the trees. To make matters worse, the last track of the second world has a couple of pretty tight jumps that you have to approach from the right angle or you'll go off careening into a cliff or water, and you have to do three laps so if you mess up at the end that's another 2 minutes wasted which gets frustrating. Bronze is usually easy to get by just driving carefully, but you have to pick up speed to make the jumps, and you have to get at least bronze on all the tracks to unlock the next world, where you finally get the crazy loops and set pieces that make it a fun game.

Having all the content locked away in a game like this sucks.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I will never stop bitching about fallout 4

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Wait, there was a child in Fallout 4? I thought that was a game about creating your own ladies-only throuple with Piper and Cait.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bony tony posted:

Wait, there was a child in Fallout 4? I thought that was a game about creating your own ladies-only throuple with Piper and Cait.

You didn't know? There was unique dialogue to literally every NPC to specifically ask about Shaun.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, the game was about you and Curie building a settlement for Codsworth to live in. He never stopped waiting for you.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Leal posted:

You didn't know? There was unique dialogue to literally every NPC to specifically ask about Shaun.

...who? Fallout 4 was the one about trying to befriend a weird goon who lived in a baseball diamond and had a podcast, right?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Leal posted:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I actually have been playing FO4 lately and while trying to work out a mod list I decided to see how little I mention Shaun, my son. Not just his name, but explicitly the part where he is referred to as your kid.

Whats dragging down FO4 is how clumsy they will railroad you. You can skip a handful of main story quests by going to where Nick is being held. But when it comes to taking out Kellogg, you're railroaded. Kellogg's house has a button you press, but if you aren't in the right story quest the button doesn't exist. If you were to run to the place Kellogg is at, the elevator leading to him has some wood planks on it keeping you from going inside. You could shave 2 mentions of "Shaun, my child" if you could skip Nick!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's also really clumsy when you've rescued Nick and sit down for the interview, because you go immediately from a badass mercenary who shoots first and asks for payment later, to a crying anxious mom who wants to see her babey

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

bony tony posted:

It's also really clumsy when you've rescued Nick and sit down for the interview, because you go immediately from a badass mercenary who shoots first and asks for payment later, to a crying anxious mom who wants to see her babey

You're a synth, Nora.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

FO4 could have been great if they dropped the kidnapped kid plot altogether and either dropped or massively improved the settlement experience.

How in the world did they reconcile the main character legitimately believing her baby has been stolen by murderers and also you have to do a bunch of silly errands for people?

All they had to do was let you be unfrozen, gawp at how wacky the world is, and either build up or terrorize the wasteland. Maybe with a big synth versus human main plot that is completely ignorable.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Being able to fix something with mods is no excuse for half-baked feature, but Sim Settlements is a must-have for that reason IMO.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

New Vegas is the best modern Fallout precisely because your character's motivation is 1) Whatever you want it to be and 2) Only as pressing as you want it to be.

Are you hell bent on revenge on Chandler, and nothing else will distract you until then? Fine. Do you understand that's just how the game is played, and don't even give a poo poo about him? Also fine.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I haven't played God of War Dad Edition because I think it seems like a bit of a paint-by-numbers way to continue the God of War franchise but I hope the game ends with Kratos slaughtering his new family again, just like he did the first time, and just going through all the same bullshit until he has turned Scandinavia into the same blighted hellscape that he turned Greece into for no real reason.

I loved the original God of War series but Kratos was one of the most embarrassingly childish characters in western games. Wow this guy throws a years-long tantrum because of a mistake that he originally made, killing millions of innocents in the process. freakin badass...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Dark Queen is never playable at any point of the new Battletoads game which I think is a huge missed opportunity for them when she's on your side for most of the story.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

Kratos is unlikeable but he's also pretty interesting so nah.

What's interesting about him? Angry man kill everything. He doesn't even have an iconic hat.

exquisite tea posted:

I've complained about Norse games too fwiw. Samurai games are just foreverial so that theme has sort of faded into the background at this point. Anyway as has been mentioned it was less about the number of games (which was more than 3) and more about the amount of conversation/"serious art" navel gazing they generated over insanely basic "having a child changes everything" sort of observations.

Fallout 4 was the only good dad game because I ended up killing and eating my son before realizing who he was and that's a reasonably novel direction.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Aug 25, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Casey Finnigan posted:

I haven't played God of War Dad Edition because I think it seems like a bit of a paint-by-numbers way to continue the God of War franchise but I hope the game ends with Kratos slaughtering his new family again, just like he did the first time, and just going through all the same bullshit until he has turned Scandinavia into the same blighted hellscape that he turned Greece into for no real reason.

I loved the original God of War series but Kratos was one of the most embarrassingly childish characters in western games. Wow this guy throws a years-long tantrum because of a mistake that he originally made, killing millions of innocents in the process. freakin badass...

IIRC he didn't kill his family this time but by the end he is engaged in another blood feud with the norse pantheon although in a twist he was trying to be the reasonable one this time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You're always going to find some insufferable quotient of hot takes on the internet but I never saw this puportedly overwhelming tide of "games are art now" because they started incorporating themes of fatherhood, at least not in greater frequency than any other lame simplistic game journalist narrative. I'm sure some people genuinely believe that but who cares, it's harmless.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

original kratos is a pretty standard greek tragedy protagonist just dialed up to an absurd pitch (with the exception of gow 3's ending which gets unbearably stupid even by that series' standards)

reboot kratos is a masterpiece of deadpan comedy

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

You're always going to find some insufferable quotient of hot takes on the internet but I never saw this puportedly overwhelming tide of "games are art now" because they started incorporating themes of fatherhood, at least not in greater frequency than any other lame simplistic game journalist narrative. I'm sure some people genuinely believe that but who cares, it's harmless.

It was a trend for awhile and it was annoying during that while and now it's largely over. It seems like there was a specific window to get into the industry where you got to be a videogame auteur, at least in the AAA space, so a bunch of guys had kids and had feelings about having kids at around the same time and now they've gotten it out of their system.

The closest thing I can think of we have going on at the moment is learning that most game studios are run by abusers/sex pests which isn't really a theme or motif, but maybe it will be easier to see one looking back.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I'm an only child and not a father so my hot takes are going to be dumber than most but I still wonder what happened to everyone's moms though.

At least the new God of War has you cremating her immediately so that question is answered immediately. Other times I'm just like 'Did they antagonize an Old One or something? No one even mentions them off hand, it's like their entire existence was removed from our dimension.'

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

RareAcumen posted:

I'm an only child and not a father so my hot takes are going to be dumber than most but I still wonder what happened to everyone's moms though.

At least the new God of War has you cremating her immediately so that question is answered immediately. Other times I'm just like 'Did they antagonize an Old One or something? No one even mentions them off hand, it's like their entire existence was removed from our dimension.'

It's cause moms don't play games, duh. Games are only for boys and moms are girls.

e: this is a pretty interesting video on the phenomenon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgIzkGiYdJc

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Aug 25, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

imo the dad games thing is just the guys who designed the oppressively boring super manly 00s game all reaching their late 30s and becoming dads at the same time, and because they're game devs they work 90 hours a week and never see their kids, so every single one made the same game about being an estranged dad who's afraid to let go of his simple and successful career but knows he has responsibilities and should maybe reprioritize but doesn't know how

This neatly explains where the mums are as well - with the yoga instructor

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The only good Sad Dad Game is Mad Dad: Asura's Wrath. :colbert:
(Things dragging it down: no modern port or rerelease of it, though I guess you can play it at 4k nowadays on a pc with an emulator.)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SubNat posted:

The only good Sad Dad Game is Mad Dad: Asura's Wrath. :colbert:
(Things dragging it down: no modern port or rerelease of it, though I guess you can play it at 4k nowadays on a pc with an emulator.)

I liked Asura's Wrath but it did the whole supremely lovely "buy the dlc for the real ending" thing so I ended up just watching said ending on youtube rather than playing it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I would play an alternative version of GoW with mom leading the bloody quest and learning to be a parent, after Kratos died offscreen from being an aggressive dumbshit

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hot take: having an opinion one way or another on the three existing dad games is indicative of severe brain poisoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

What about having an opinion on people’s opinions about them?