Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

I. M. Gei posted:

no, and I’ll probably do that at some point regardless, but right now I’m specifically looking for quick and easy work that isn’t gonna fire me in <2 months, and this job is all 3

look I’m not saying it’s a GOOD job, or even a real job, but it pays slightly more than $0 and gets me out of the house, so that’s something. plus it’s not like I’m planning to do it for longer than a few months anyway; I’m pretty much only doing it to make some quick cash for a ~$6K purchase and that’s it
Was that $50 earnings before or after the gas money? Because br0 it's going to take you 200 shifts to make that ~$6k purchase if you're pulling in net $30 per 7-hour shift, or a mere 120 (4 months of work days) to do it if you're actually making $50/shift. Nothing "quick cash" about it, and that's a lot of 'rona exposure in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

Was that $50 earnings before or after the gas money? Because br0 it's going to take you 200 shifts to make that ~$6k purchase if you're pulling in $30 net per 7-hour shift, or a mere 120 (4 months of work days) to do it if you're actually making $50/shift. And that's a lot of 'rona exposure.

he's driven for Insta before. he knows exactly what he's getting in to and chooses to help perpetuate an exploitative system. not sure why he's posting about it as if he doesn't realize this but it is fucken weird, for sure

edit: the money right now for gig work is even worse because of so many desperate people doing it. i was at least making around $11 an hour in the before times doing insta

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 25, 2020

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

The schadenfreude thread is leaking!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I. M. Gei, I like your posts in DIY.

Please don’t bring SARS‐2 to your dad.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Go to ratracerebellion.com. They have a whole bunch of REAL work-from-home gigs, not stupid survey-taking bullshit.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Re: work for people with big gaps in experience, I just got hired on as a medical dispatcher for $14/hr (in the Deep South, so that's livable) after being out of work for a year and a half. It's harsh work and the turnover is high, but it's money, and medical dispatch is a desperate field rn. I'm gonna try to transition into dev testing after a couple of months since this company writes all their own tools and dispatch is the entry node for all incoming workers. IM Gei, save your health and your family's health and your ability to have a working car and get a different job. Almost any other job. Please.

zgrowler2 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 25, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Gynovore posted:

Go to ratracerebellion.com. They have a whole bunch of REAL work-from-home gigs, not stupid survey-taking bullshit.

When did those bots that spam in newspaper comments learn to post on SA?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

if you can fit it in alongside, learning another language and then doing translation jobs is low income and unstable, but you'll always be able to find new work

This is not great advice. First of all it takes years to understand a language well enough to do translation, so that would be at least 3 years of intensive learning. Second, you will still fail any translation test if you don't also have professional training in translation theory. And third, there are already too many unqualified people offering their service way under what they are worth, which undermines any attempt to make a liveable wage and has already resulted in a downward spiral of prices paid. You'd waste years on the chance to get an underpaying job.

Source: I am a professional translator.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How much does a USPS driver make anyways? I'm tired of my IT job.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've got some bad news on the state of the USPS

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

I. M. Gei posted:

I did my first gig-based food delivery shift on Sunday.

It... actually went pretty smoothly, all things considered. I made a little over $50 for 7 hours of work, which isn't anywhere close to a good or even just acceptable wage in any civilized country, especially since I had to spend $20 on gas to just be able to do my job, but I'm only working this job at all to save up for an expensive purchase I gotta make soon so I guess it could be worse? :shrug:

Anyway my next shift starts in about 8 hours. Hope I don't get COVID! :)

You are severely under counting the liability you are exposing yourself to pretending to be a commercial driver. It is most definitely not worth it at 4 dollars an hour. (Probably more like 2-3 an hour in reality.. ) I'm sure your ego won't let you put on a McDonald's uniform and make more money with better benefits and less risk, but maybe look into the goon work from home thread, find a job online for 8 dollars an hour and call it a day.

Its cool to drive for Uber if you only do it on Saturdays from 9-2 and make $20 an hour (really more like 14 with crazy risk) because you just do the high $$$ bar rates. Its loving stupid whatever you are doing for nearly negative money.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How much does a USPS driver make anyways? I'm tired of my IT job.

Unless you're just starting out in IT, its probably gonna be a pretty big pay drop.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

how are you as a storyteller?

Because if you have time on your hands, there's a world of self publishing. it's not easy money anymore, but it can be solid. Stick to Romance, Thrillers, or Sci-fi. Read ten of the best sellers in whatever category you want, and you can make a hell of a lot more than $4 dollars an hour. If you want to write smut. Just publish to smash words. the kinkier the better. (I have friends still making around 1k from that, but that's at a 100 plus shorts and bundles. However the shorts are shorter on smash words, 1.5k-2k words).

it will take you awhile to get there though.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
fwiw, i'm also a professional translator :v:

a bunch of things i disagree with. particularly the "wasted" thing, if only because learning another language is also rewarding in itself

the two things i agree with are the years (which is why i said "alongside") and the current market (which i didn't consider)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

start an onlyfans site

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Hopper posted:

This is not great advice. First of all it takes years to understand a language well enough to do translation, so that would be at least 3 years of intensive learning. Second, you will still fail any translation test if you don't also have professional training in translation theory. And third, there are already too many unqualified people offering their service way under what they are worth, which undermines any attempt to make a liveable wage and has already resulted in a downward spiral of prices paid. You'd waste years on the chance to get an underpaying job.

Source: I am a professional translator.

Hahaha, sounds like graphic design in my country. There's always some guy that took a couple of photoshop classes giving a whole package of community manager, designing advertisement for a week and a whole logo for 9 dollars. We are being forced to give everything cheap, even if you make quality work. I've been struggling to get even a client since I started to work freelance. I'm recently deciding I'll turn to make (mind and work safe) art commissions in twitter for WoW players and furries. :shrug: They pay well, by the look of it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Unless you're just starting out in IT, its probably gonna be a pretty big pay drop.

That's not as informative as I was hoping for.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
My suggestion for those seeking work is to become florists because of the influx in funerals and hospital stay. You can also keep the petals and store them under your mask to ward off the miasma like a plague doctor.

No, seriously, we're still stupid busy. I don't know how the other shops are faring but we've had no respite.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

LionArcher posted:

Because if you have time on your hands, there's a world of self publishing. it's not easy money anymore, but it can be solid. Stick to Romance, Thrillers, or Sci-fi. Read ten of the best sellers in whatever category you want, and you can make a hell of a lot more than $4 dollars an hour. If you want to write smut. Just publish to smash words. the kinkier the better. (I have friends still making around 1k from that, but that's at a 100 plus shorts and bundles. However the shorts are shorter on smash words, 1.5k-2k words).

it will take you awhile to get there though.

After reading the crap John Ringo is pumping out, I'm starting to reconsider, "I dont have the talent to write".

Good quarantine activity. I expect lots of new first novels at the end of this.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
UPS drivers have broken down bodies by middle age and by retirement suffer "unexpected" heart attacks. Sitting in a truck, eating fast food every day and bending to load and unload heavy items exacts a toll further down the road.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

coronavirus posted:

You are severely under counting the liability you are exposing yourself to pretending to be a commercial driver. It is most definitely not worth it at 4 dollars an hour. (Probably more like 2-3 an hour in reality.. ) I'm sure your ego won't let you put on a McDonald's uniform and make more money with better benefits and less risk, but maybe look into the goon work from home thread, find a job online for 8 dollars an hour and call it a day.

Its cool to drive for Uber if you only do it on Saturdays from 9-2 and make $20 an hour (really more like 14 with crazy risk) because you just do the high $$$ bar rates. Its loving stupid whatever you are doing for nearly negative money.

Could you please tell me where the goon work from home thread is? I couldn't find it. Thank you.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Desperado Bones posted:

Hahaha, sounds like graphic design in my country. There's always some guy that took a couple of photoshop classes giving a whole package of community manager, designing advertisement for a week and a whole logo for 9 dollars. We are being forced to give everything cheap, even if you make quality work. I've been struggling to get even a client since I started to work freelance. I'm recently deciding I'll turn to make (mind and work safe) art commissions in twitter for WoW players and furries. :shrug: They pay well, by the look of it.

Bet you could make more money if you went straight down to the deepest depths of weirdos lmao.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Bet you could make more money if you went straight down to the deepest depths of weirdos lmao.

I know, it's proven that if you draw their weird (legal) fetishes, they will pay a whole lot of money. But I dun wanna sell my soul to the thirsty side of fandoms :lol:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's not as informative as I was hoping for.

Ok...? In my area carriers start around 18 an hour while all my IT friends make somewhere between 90-130,000 a year, with something like 8+ years experience. I have no idea where you live though

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 26, 2020

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Desperado Bones posted:

Furries absolutely do pay well and they are the lifeblood of many-an-illustrator; even ones that aren't furries themselves. You don't even need to do kinky poo poo to get their attention, there's plenty of demand for SFW commissions in the furry community. For example, if you can design lapel pins you can make a killing. Stickers too; merch is where it's at. Furries also need things like character sheets made, and are willing to pay $120-$150 for them. Con badges are usually $75+. And if you really don't want to draw fursonas you aren't even limited to anthro since regular wildlife stuff is popular too or you can find a niche like fossils or witchcraft or something. Or try print on demand services like designing a fabric pattern and upload it to Spoonflower so people like me can buy it and turn it into masks. If you know how to 3D model there is a huge market for custom avatars for VRChat.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's probably more ethical and better compensated to draw smut for internet weirdos than to do graphic design for Big Corp LTD :shuckyes:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Where the gently caress were all of you people with all this career advice 3 weeks ago when I came to this thread asking what gig job companies were the least lovely to work for?

LionArcher posted:

so I’m gonna come back and touch on this specifically later cuz this post brings up some poo poo that’s been bugging me for AWHILE that I gotta type a long rear end bunch o’ words about and I’m too fuckin sleepy to do any ofbthat poo poo now, but the short quick answer is...

... pretty much the same as I am as a poster on here. Which............ yeah

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's probably more ethical and better compensated to draw smut for internet weirdos than to do graphic design for Big Corp LTD :shuckyes:

Unironically yes. Hell, even Small Corp LTD. I've despised some products I've made logos for in the past. Furry money is way less ethically fraught and way easier to store and spend.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

this isn’t exactly storytelling or internet weirdo art or whatever, but as long as y’all are on the subject of “art jobs I can do for $$$ REAL CA$H MONEY $$$ without leaving my house during COVID Times”...

I’ve been thinking a lot about arranging/transcribing music for college band for years now, and I’m just about to finally actually start doing that in the next few weeks or so. Like for marching and pep bands and stuff. I’ve already got a bigass list of songs I want to try my hand at arranging and/or transcribing (probably more of the latter than the former, but still) that I am constantly adding to any time I hear or think of a good song that I think might translate well to band, or whenever I think of an artist whose songs might be worth exploring for that purpose. Is there maybe a way to monetize that?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 26, 2020

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

this isn’t exactly storytelling or internet weirdo art or whatever, but as long as y’all are on the subject of “art jobs I can do for $$$ REAL CA$H MONEY $$$ without leaving my house during COVID Times”...

I’ve been thinking a lot about arranging/transcribing music for college band for years now, and I’m just about to finally actually start doing that in the next few weeks or so. Like for marching and pep bands and stuff. I’ve already got a bigass list of songs I want to try my hand at arranging and/or transcribing (probably more of the latter than the former, but still) that I am constantly adding to any time I hear or think of a good song that I think might translate well to band, or whenever I think of an artist whose songs might be worth exploring for that purpose. Is there maybe a way to monetize that?

Artist to artist, this is cool as hell and I wish you all the luck in the world with it. In terms of monetizing, I know there are sites you can upload sheet music to for purchase. I don't know the particulars on royalties or licensing for getting paid for covers of other artists' copyrighted works. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has done transcription/arrangement of covers for money. Seems like it has a lot of potential if it's possible after navigating legalities.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Lacrosse posted:

Furries absolutely do pay well and they are the lifeblood of many-an-illustrator; even ones that aren't furries themselves. You don't even need to do kinky poo poo to get their attention, there's plenty of demand for SFW commissions in the furry community. For example, if you can design lapel pins you can make a killing. Stickers too; merch is where it's at. Furries also need things like character sheets made, and are willing to pay $120-$150 for them. Con badges are usually $75+. And if you really don't want to draw fursonas you aren't even limited to anthro since regular wildlife stuff is popular too or you can find a niche like fossils or witchcraft or something. Or try print on demand services like designing a fabric pattern and upload it to Spoonflower so people like me can buy it and turn it into masks. If you know how to 3D model there is a huge market for custom avatars for VRChat.

Is there a market for VR dicksucking yet?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

KinkyJohn posted:

Is there a market for VR dicksucking yet?

Not really, furries will do that for free in VR. But top tier custom avatars will go for 700 - 1200 dollars a pop if you're a relatively popular artist. These do take a lot of work though!

Best thing you can do is design a base avatar and then slightly modify it to spec.

There's also a big market for gumroad prefab avatars with added customization options, these tend to go for 30-40 bucks.

VRchat is the wild west avatar 3D wise and it's an awesome place to be as a furry

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Remember the early happy-go-lucky days of the thread where there were things like this?

You'd have to watch this gif for over 2 days to cover the US death toll.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

I. M. Gei posted:

Arrange or transcribe music for furries because for some reason when it comes to transcribing or arranging or even composing, people/companies don't seem to want to pony up the cash it takes to properly reward that talent.

I have a friend who does this.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

Could you please tell me where the goon work from home thread is? I couldn't find it. Thank you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476455

I. M. Gei posted:

Where the gently caress were all of you people with all this career advice [url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3911826&pagenumber=1235&perpage=40#post507089102]3 weeks ago when I came to this thread asking what gig job companies were the least lovely to work for?

I literally told you 3 weeks ago this was a terrible idea and you are going to make sub-minimum wage but you didn't listen then either. You have a severe ego problem where you can only see yourself as making the right choices and being a clever dude. You aren't.

coronavirus fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 26, 2020

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Also why would you expect the coronavirus thread in GBS to give you the best advice on that issue? Not that you wouldn't get any but why ask it here in the first place?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Helios Grime posted:

Also why would you expect the coronavirus thread in GBS to give you the best advice on that issue? Not that you wouldn't get any but why ask it here in the first place?

Just reminds me of commercial ozone generator bathroom man, whatever happened to him.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Helios Grime posted:

I'm still not over "learn a new language and be a translator". Not being a dick to you Mithaldu but that was funny.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

unpacked robinhood posted:

I'm still not over "learn a new language and be a translator". Not being a dick to you Mithaldu but that was funny.
i'm glad it brought something good to this thread :)

also it was interesting to hear other perspectives on the work i do

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Just reminds me of commercial ozone generator bathroom man, whatever happened to him.

he has been quiet since february :ohdear:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=206524

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Burned that ozone generator candle too bright. Rip ozone man.