Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i flunked out posted:

What do you think is the least powerful devil?

cringe devil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

We haven't seen the Death Devil yet, correct?

Or have we? :tinfoil:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

i flunked out posted:

"What if gravity reverses and I start falling upwards? This room has a pretty high ceiling."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

i flunked out posted:

off the top of my head, The Book Devil

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

off the top of my head, The Book Devil

religious fundamentalists have long been terrified of books

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

i flunked out posted:

Coffee Devil.

Makima brought him up specifically to mock him.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Do things that aren't really widely feared have devils? Like sure, there are probably some people that are terrified of chocolate, but I wonder how many there needs to be in order for a devil to be born.

Puppy Devil? Ice Cream Devil? Money Devil?

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Mentioning the Money Devil as innocuous brought my mind to the Debt Devil. Debt is a fear that just saps a person contently. Every action is questioned because it might not be paying off the debt enough. Every boon is lessened because good things should be sold off to get the debt monkey off your back. Fear of how to pay back debts cause the most loss of sleep which means it actively causes a person fear it more hours in a day.

The Debt Devil might not be as powerful in the 90's as it is now but it is absolutely a force of the modern world as much as the Darkness devil is a force of the primordial world.

Also another minor devil is the did I just Misplace a World After Posting Devil

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Remembering An Embarrassing Thing You Did As A Teenager Devil

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
isn't that just a form of shame?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I mean, the sea cucumber devil was being handled by a mook.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I Am Fowl posted:

I mean, the sea cucumber devil was being handled by a mook.

what makes that funnier is Im pretty sure the mook said its "another" sea cucumber devil, which means its rly weak in real life so it dies and goes back to hell where it also dies because it sucks rear end and then it goes back to earth, etc

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

isn't that just a form of shame?

I'm going to guess that there's some amount of overlap between Devils. You could argue that the Gun Devil shouldn't be very powerful, since well, not many people are scared of guns themselves, but of the death and mutilation they bring. Wouldn't the Violence Devil be more powerful than the Gun Devil, since "violence" should cover both gun violence but also sword violence, punching violence, etc? Violence Devil's power seems to come from people fearing violence itself, whereas Gun Devil's power seems to come from people fearing the results of gun violence.

It's probably best not to think about these nitty gritty things too hard.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i want to see the fear of devils devil and his wacky roommate, the fear of fear of devils devil devil.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So I figure that the weakest demons are highly specific fears. Like, the fear of biting into an apple and finding half a worm.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i want to see the fear of devils devil and his wacky roommate, the fear of fear of devils devil devil.

The Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Buffalo Devil

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
The farting so hard your balls explode devil. This devil experiences a drastic power increase during the syndication of Spike TV's Manswers.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
What's the public speaking devil like?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

i flunked out posted:

What's the public speaking devil like?

Awkward until they had a few drinks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Do things that aren't really widely feared have devils? Like sure, there are probably some people that are terrified of chocolate, but I wonder how many there needs to be in order for a devil to be born.

Puppy Devil? Ice Cream Devil? Money Devil?

Well Denji killed the tomato devil before he even fused with Pochita so it must have been really weak.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

It's probably best not to think about these nitty gritty things too hard.

:hmmyes:

yeah this is just going to open up a can of worms like arguing over power levels does

I do agree that violence devil seems like it should be a much bigger deal than what we've seen. I hope previously defeated devils come back in some form

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not entirely sure why gun devil (specific) would be vastly more powerful than violence devil (vague), but darkness devil (even more vague) is stronger still. i also kind of doubt that the nitty gritty details about how devils work are very important to the story.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I still hope that Power didn't really get killed, the manga has done this sort of thing before with the whole shooting Makima part (which I genuinely thought was the mentor dying trope at the time). It'll be a lot lonely otherwise--my enjoyment of Fire Punch greatly decreased when one of the cool characters bit it.

That said, how would the Anxiety Devil fare?

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I'm guessing the fire devil is both a primal fear and is just the guy from fire punch.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Keep in mind that the violence was a fiend , not the actual violence devil, and they specifically had him wear a poison mask to keep his energy focused on staying alive rather than raw violence powers.

Schneider Heim posted:

I still hope that Power didn't really get killed, the manga has done this sort of thing before with the whole shooting Makima part (which I genuinely thought was the mentor dying trope at the time). It'll be a lot lonely otherwise--my enjoyment of Fire Punch greatly decreased when one of the cool characters bit it.

I agree with your spoilered point, I liked Fire Punch up until like the final stretch for precisely those reasons. I will similarly be pissed if the main cast has indeed been paired down to Denji & Makima only.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Also, the violence fiend isn't actually called 'violence' but the japanese term '暴力' which might have different connotations as a term than the english word it's being translated to. I don't have the Japanese to say.

Given what happened when he unmasked to fight Darkness, the concept (whatever you name it) seems to be about beating-people-up type violence, not 'violence' in the completely abstract sense. I'd be scared if some guys surrounded me to pick a fight, I'd be a lot more scared if one of them pulled a gun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I'm guessing the fire devil is both a primal fear and is just the guy from fire punch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

That said, how would the Anxiety Devil fare?

If I was betting,

It's real. Makima's not the kind to half-rear end a valuable life lesson like this. But... if Denji backs out from the dog thing, she might let him go to Hell to get Power back as a replacement offer.

(After all, he's supposed to slaughter her according to Future, and he's only an accessory this time.)

Denji in Hell offers a lot of room for a few arcs despite the main cast being mostly dead, and it offers room for Makima to do whatever she's planning on a large scale without Denji being there to see all the intervening steps that would force him to pick a side too early in the story.

Again, predicting Fujimoto's tricky at best, but it fulfills a lot of the needs of the story, and it's an obvious way to keep going since it's not been announced the series is ending.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
it's gonna be real sad if Power really is gone. she never seemed to have very much to actually do in the story, feels like hugely wasted potential if so. Fire Punch sorta had that problem too. but, like everyone has been saying, something about the whole situation is just off enough that it might not be what it appears.

at least we got this chapter after the 2 week break, not before.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i think that the weaker devils have less of a singular being. people talk about power being A blood fiend not the blood fiend and so on

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Elfgames posted:

i think that the weaker devils have less of a singular being. people talk about power being A blood fiend not the blood fiend and so on

Except Power's been shown as a reasonable high tier devil, even when she's intentionally being held back. She might not be top tier, but there's a lot of devils out there that she can kill pretty casually.

Or, you know. Could. Past tense.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Peel posted:

Also, the violence fiend isn't actually called 'violence' but the japanese term '暴力' which might have different connotations as a term than the english word it's being translated to. I don't have the Japanese to say.

Given what happened when he unmasked to fight Darkness, the concept (whatever you name it) seems to be about beating-people-up type violence, not 'violence' in the completely abstract sense. I'd be scared if some guys surrounded me to pick a fight, I'd be a lot more scared if one of them pulled a gun.

My idea just to chime in and not nitpick is that it has to do with human conciousness. As a collective we probably do fear violence more but it's a sub conscious fear we don't walk around saying "god I hope no one does violence to me". To your point we definitely think about guns and fear tj especially in the states, well I know I do.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Some pretty big stuff in the spoilers for this week's chapter.

It's not a dream, Power is dead. Makima's goal all along has been to destroy Denji and Pochita's contract, by giving him everything in life(job, money, family) and then taking it away. She also forces open Denji's inner door, which was a suppressed memory of Denji killing his own father, which convinces Denji that he can no longer live a normal life.

I guess she wants him to break the contract himself and commit suicide?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm interested in the full context here.

I just hope it's not going to wind up as "Makima plotted everything and has been pure evil this whole time". I mean, against my better judgement, I trust Fujimoto even then, but a Makima who screws up sometimes and who has more going on than just being the villain feels more interesting.

Then again, she is a Haruko type. There's a lot of villainy that comes with that territory.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dzhay posted:

"What if gravity reverses and I start falling upwards? This room has a pretty high ceiling."

Father Pucci would like a word

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

spoiler page - we just can't stop winning makimabros

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

She's laughing guys! Its a happy chapter, I just know it! :peanut:

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
Chainsaw Man answers the important question: What if The Judge from Blood Meridian was an attractive woman.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

https://imgur.com/a/V40xJpX

Speed TL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Just the fucken worst.