Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pancake rabbit posted:

12z euro with a real spicy meatball

17 milibars away from cat 5? call me why you up your game laura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
190 mph gusts in that 12z euro run

Zeno-25 has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Aug 25, 2020

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Zeno-25 posted:

190 mph gusts in that 12z euro run

Not good at all. Whatever anyone thinks about this area of the country, there is literally no land mass to weaken the surge or the winds. From south-Central Mississippi to Corpus Christ, the coastline is basically just all swampland. These areas flood on a dime in rainstorms that last barely 20 minutes. Gonna' be super-hosed. Not to mention the I-10 corridor there is gonna' be affected.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

wind speed and central pressure aren’t that tightly coupled

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Hearing through the grapevine Cat 4 is on the table. It's shaping up to be a monster. Hopefully it splits that difference between Houston and New Orleans and only levels Lake Charles.

Blow down the Nug and I'll be ok with this storm.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zeno-25 posted:

No kidding, the Gulf has seen enough ecological disasters as it is

Looking like it might be a "why not both?" situation.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Looking like it might be a "why not both?" situation.

I know that region pretty well having been in the oil & gas industry previously for years. There's not much that's situated right on the Gulf; the larger concern if there are breaches at refineries/pipelines during the storm are the inland waterways & intercoastal canals. There's also the possibility of acute spillover into adjacent areas that are residential.

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Not good at all. Whatever anyone thinks about this area of the country, there is literally no land mass to weaken the surge or the winds. From south-Central Mississippi to Corpus Christ, the coastline is basically just all swampland. These areas flood on a dime in rainstorms that last barely 20 minutes. Gonna' be super-hosed. Not to mention the I-10 corridor there is gonna' be affected.

Wasn't Houston where the giant dam almost overflowed during Harvey? I'm sure they've spent the time since reinforcing it, so shouldn't be an issue!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

Wasn't Houston where the giant dam almost overflowed during Harvey? I'm sure they've spent the time since reinforcing it, so shouldn't be an issue!

it wasn't in danger because they opened the gates and flooded a poor neighborhood to keep the water level manageable

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Its probably going to result in a major ecological/health disaster as all those refining and chemical plants are basically giant warehouses for extremely toxic poo poo and gently caress up the local population even in the best of times

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
reminder that texas allows these companies storing whatever chemicals to refuse to disclose what exactly was spilled during storm and flood events

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah we still don’t know all of the mess that happened during Harvey after that superfund site flooded

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Are those AMERICAN CITIZENS near the petrochemical plants, or just "people"

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah something called "wind sheer" killed it. I understood it for exactly 5 minutes after the youtube man explained it but now that's completely gone.

Wind shear. It's when there's a big difference in wind speed at different elevations. Basically, strong winds high up and light winds on the ground destroys the spiral structure of a hurricane. Can promote instability in other contexts but hurricanes need different conditions to stay intact.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

pancake rabbit posted:

12z euro with a real spicy meatball

looked it up out of curiousity and Katrina was 920

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

reminder that texas allows these companies storing whatever chemicals to refuse to disclose what exactly was spilled during storm and flood events

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUoP1nLcFHU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

shirts and skins posted:

Wind shear. It's when there's a big difference in wind speed at different elevations. Basically, strong winds high up and light winds on the ground destroys the spiral structure of a hurricane. Can promote instability in other contexts but hurricanes need different conditions to stay intact.
Right, and because Marco was a smaller storm it was more susceptible to this. I will say that I was surprised how fast it happened though.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Are those AMERICAN CITIZENS near the petrochemical plants, or just "people"

poors, so none of the above i guess?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right, and because Marco was a smaller storm it was more susceptible to this. I will say that I was surprised how fast it happened though.

liddle marco has always been a lightweight

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

still hasn't shifted disturbingly west in latest nhc thing but theres still plenty of time!

i will take cat 3 winds over the slow burn horror of harvey flooding

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is category determined by pressure at all? I thought it was just wind speed?

What's the dummy explanation for why lower pressure is worse?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

actionjackson posted:

lower pressure = higher differential = faster flow from high to low

https://sciencing.com/barometric-pressure-vs-wind-speed-hurricane-19558.html

quote:

When a tropical cyclone reaches hurricane strength, its low-pressure center is called the “eye” of the storm. Acting like fuel that feeds more energy into the storm, moisture from the warm water is converted to heat in the bands of rain that spiral around the eye. As air is pulled into the eye, it rises rapidly and then condenses, cooling and releasing large amounts of heat into the atmosphere before the air descends and begins the cycle again. This refuels the hurricane, lowering the barometric pressure on the ocean surface, which pulls more air in and upward, strengthening the hurricane. The lower the barometric pressure at the center of the storm, the stronger the hurricane, and vice versa.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

actionjackson posted:

Category is wind speed. Pressure is related to windspeed but is not 1:1. Think of it like an ice skater spinning: If they stick their arms out they start spinning slower. A larger, broader system will have lower wind speed at the same pressure compared to a smaller, compact one.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Category is wind speed. Pressure is related to windspeed but is not 1:1. Think of it like an ice skater spinning: If they stick their arms out they start spinning slower. A larger, broader system will have lower wind speed at the same pressure compared to a smaller, compact one.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

:eyepop:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The smoke from the Australian bushfires earlier this year made it all the way across the Pacific to South America. In fact I think particles of it eventually went all the way around the globe and ended back up in Aus.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/bushfire-smoke-will-circle-around-the-globe-and-return-to-australia-nasa-says

Also Australia's fire season has begun up in the Top End (the north of the country) with a strong start.

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1298371444234051586

Helith has issued a correction as of 01:10 on Aug 26, 2020

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Real hurthling! posted:

She's just looking to pull a michael and hit cat5 after landfall

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Real hurthling! posted:

tfw the glass ceiling just won't break

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hurricane Harvey hit Houston three years ago today to the date.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/StuOstro/status/1298414663865114625

Yikes

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She's starting to hulk out. Closing the eye wall also healthy amounts of lightning being detected in the eye wall

Zeno-25 has issued a correction as of 03:08 on Aug 26, 2020

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lmao just remembered that tropical storm that formed literally 2 hours before it hit Texas

e: tropical storm Imelda, for those curious

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 04:39 on Aug 26, 2020

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Zeno-25 posted:

She's starting to hulk out. Closing the eye wall also healthy amounts of lightning being detected in the eye wall

looking thick, solid, tight

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Thesaurus posted:

looking thick, solid, tight

:gizz:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this seems very bad

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Zeno-25 posted:

is it black static because they ran out of colors?

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Zeno-25 posted:

black is good on this color scale right

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zeno-25 posted:

lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

can't lightning in an eye wall be used to travel through time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

actionjackson posted:

is it black static because they ran out of colors?

Kinda yeah. That's an IR band, and the color scale corresponds to the temperature of the cloud tops. Black just means that the cloud tops are cold enough (aka high enough, aka the tops of thunderstorms) that they've essentially saturated the color scale. It's not at all unusual, but it does look cool.

In this case, it's the shortwave IR band. The temperature change that sweeps across the field of view is sunset; the sensor is no longer detecting reflected sunlight, so everything suddenly looks much colder (and more accurate to its actual temperature). The longwave IR bands don't have this problem because the reflected sunlight is generally negligible in comparison to the signal from the Earth.

If you want to play with GOES data yourself, have at it here.