Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kastein posted:

I have no luck trying to give poo poo away because people decide my time is worthless and just flake on me, so I list it for 20 bucks and if they put money in my hand so be it, otherwise I just give it to them anyways. So far I have sold an end table and a bed frame for 20 bucks each when I would have been perfectly happy giving them away free.

Trying to sell a few things now and mostly just getting CL scammers. I guess I'll cut the price down a little, I had it set a few hundred high just to see if anyone would bite.

I sold a display cabinet at the end of June. Buyer sent me $$ via Venmo. Hasn't picked it up, and now isn't responding on FB Messenger, so, I guess I'll refund him and resell it. The whole reason it was up for sale was to make it go away, my dude. Takes up space in my garage. I didn't even try Craigslist. FBM does have the advantage of being able to check if they are real people, for the most part. The downside, of course, is: FaceBook. This and a couple groups is all I maintain FB for, now.

Fifty Three posted:

I didn't see an AI video game chat thread and I don't know who needs to hear this but... holy poo poo Forza Horizon 4.

I've been out of the racing game game since NFS Carbon and had bought NFS Heat on sale. It was definitely fun and I got a taste of where racing games had gone in the last 14 years, but gently caress me I should've skipped it knowing how much better FH is.

I haven't played FH4 yet, but have it on Game Pass. FH3 (also on Game Pass) was tons of fun hooning around a compressed version of Oz. So many fun vehicles, like my hopped up GMC Syclone, or the Holden FJ ute that won't go straight because it has 1200 HP or something, Just fries the tires sideways ll day long. Or the stupid BMW X6 the I use to win SUV class races. Trying to find the right car to nail some of the stunts is fun. I should get back to that for a bit.

big dong wanter posted:

Playing Forza Horizon 3, just got the hot wheels dlc and it's amazing. Luv to drive my turbo chrome Countach on loops and jumps

I bought the DLC but have yet to play it. I should, because Hot Wheels. There's a LEGO DLC, too...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

I usually just google "Serious Eats [food name] sous vide" and find that J. Kenji Lopez-Alt has already cooked chicken thighs a dozen different ways and will tell you the best time and temperature: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-thigh.html

That's also what I usually do. Immersion cooking makes cooking meat so easy. It's even trivial to get tender and juicy boneless skinless chicken breast.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

For giggles I had a friend at a dealership run the VIN on the Volt I totalled several years ago. The one that Allstate put $13k into bodywork before realizing it wasn't drivable. It still has a clean Carfax and is on its 3rd owner.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 25, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's Pride week. I forgot to pick up my free rainbow flag on Saturday (in lieu of a parade, the organizers were giving out free flags for people to display, got an email today saying I could pick it up at a few places for the rest of the week. One was a clinic of some kind, it sounded familiar, but didn't recognize it at first.

... it's one I've been meaning to visit for a long time, had totally forgotten about. I want to get on PReP, and wanted to get HIV tested (like I normally do every year, but haven't for over 2 now). They handle both, they can do walk-ins, and everything except meds is free to anyone in the Austin area. Wound up getting the full workup (yeah, including the not for peepee swab, that isn't very pleasant), since gently caress it, it's free, I'm already here getting my flag, may as well know for sure/on paper that I haven't picked up anything along the way. Got an appointment for PReP, probably gonna have to get another round of bloodwork for that (that'll make 4 times this month alone I've had someone draw blood :sigh:). From what I was told, they're mainly interested in (a) liver levels and (b) want to see if I have the hep. My recent bloodwork includes liver levels, but not a hep c workup.

(HIV status: negative)

slidebite posted:

Oh that's interesting. I typically don't grill chicken as I am super anal of it being completely cooked and end up killing it in the process, and breasts can become dry super easily at the best of times. That idea of pre-cooking in an instant pot certainly makes sense though... I could see that working. Hmm.

This is almost how Whole Foods makes their chicken breasts (that they sell in the deli). They oil/salt/pepper, steam the hell out of them, then slap them on the grill just long enough to give them char marks, then off into the blast chiller. The IP just speeds this process up A LOT.

Use the trivet if you still have it, otherwise you wind up with it being kinda overcooked on the bottom due to sitting right against the heat. Half a cup or a cup of water in the bottom so it can pressurize (or chicken broth to make it a little tastier), brush them with oil/salt/pepper or do your marinade of choice.

[urlhttps://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/instant-pot-chicken-and-mashed-potatoes/]Pro move is doing a chicken breast, carrots, mashed potatoes, AND gravy all in the IP at once[/url]. The carrots are too easy to overcook (you gotta slice em THICK), the rest is amazing though. Need a metal mixing bowl for the potatoes, drain them after since they'll release some water, and I use a bit more broth so I can make more gravy. This is my go-to when I feel lazy but want something really hearty.

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah i had a festiva that had plowed someone in the rear end hard. yet the carfax was fine. There wasn't a straight piece of metal beyond the firewall, and even the firewall itself was lovely. It was the car that had a BP dropped into it, hence being a $500 pos.

Before my stepdad bought his current truck, he kept sending me Craigslist links to suspiciously low mileage/low price F-150s.

Most of us know that car rental companies self-insure. Therefore, if one of their cars gets FUKT, it never shows up on Carfax. Seller provided a Carfax on one that had really low miles, but showed it was a "fleet or rental" and "minor accident damage - front of vehicle (TXDPS)". The photos the seller had in the listing told A STORY. Nothing up front lined up. The front and passenger fender + front door were different shades of white. Doors didn't line up at all. Front wheels looked.... a bit off with positioning. Bed gap was different on both sides. Dash crooked as hell, steering wheel looked wrong for the trim. I googled the VIN, it popped with free pictures on badvin.org. If there's pics for FREE on badvin, it's seen SOME poo poo.

The auction page was still up, just showed it'd been sold. Notes included "driven into building" and "hazmat interior". The front was smashed so bad that there's no way the engine wasn't saying hello to someone's feet, but looked more like they hit a tree dead-center. The passenger side doors were crumpled into each other. Company that sold it to the auction was one of the major rental companies (Avis, IIRC?).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 25, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Safety Dance posted:

There are some rough rules of thumb based on what kind of meat it is and what the thickness is, e.g. https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/sous-vide-cooking-times-by-thickness

I usually just google "Serious Eats [food name] sous vide" and find that J. Kenji Lopez-Alt has already cooked chicken thighs a dozen different ways and will tell you the best time and temperature: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-thigh.html
That's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks a ton!

Still taking ideas on specific recipes to try. :shobon:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

If it makes you feel any better, they still haven't posted about it on their social media accounts. They posted video of it understeering quite badly on another corner and mentioned such but that's it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CESEUQmHXkN/
I was more :smith: about the multiple stories relating to dying kids than a bent L322.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haven't been cutting my hair since covid started, now I can put it in a pony tail :v:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Is it just me or are more SUV’s looking like hatchbacks these days like the Q7 from Audi

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gatts posted:

Is it just me or are more SUV’s looking like hatchbacks these days like the Q7 from Audi

It’s all a ploy by big hatchback to trick people into buying cars

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

meatpimp posted:

Nope, standard Craigslist VIN report scammer. "I found this one at $25, which is cheaper than Carfax" tells you straight away.

yup, you're right. he definitely flaked on me as soon as i refused to do it

gently caress selling cars! :argh:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Haven't been cutting my hair since covid started, now I can put it in a pony tail :v:

Haha, same but instead of a pony tail I use a bandana to keep it under control

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Just been shaving mine off every few months. Can’t stand it when it gets too long. One less thing to do in the morning if you have a Covid Crewcut.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Same, though I actually started in February, when my stylist retired. And now my beard is almost as long.
I'll probably trim the beard, and keep the hair, at least until October when I can do The Dude for halloween.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I have to go to the on-base barber, because the awesome barber I found out in town who genuinely cares about giving a good cut, and does straight razor shaves:

A: Will not wear a mask while cutting hair, nor enforce the policy on the customers.

B: Is a huge piece of poo poo, and decided I would love to listen to a 15 minute rant on how the NFL won't be played in the shop anymore because "they're letting them kneel".

I just want a haircut that doesn't make me look like Sloth from the loving Goonies.

I guess I could see if the 23yo barber that gives me a 30 minute oral history of his 100yo straight razor is masking up...

E:
2 years until I can just grow my man ponytail and a filthy trucker beard like I've always wanted

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've been just using clippers for almost 20 years.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
It's ironic, the one year my hair is long enough from covid 'dos to do John Wick for halloween, there's no f'n halloween this year.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Ether Frenzy posted:

It's ironic, the one year my hair is long enough from covid 'dos to do John Wick for halloween, there's no f'n halloween this year.

I am definitely getting to this point. I needed a haircut back in March when this all started and it’s well out of hand now. Have to keep pinching my girlfriends hair ties :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Luckily my wife has been cutting her own hair for years and had already convinced me to let her do mine too about a year prior to the pandemic, so nothing has changed.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Monday morning the Progressive guy called me about my totaled F-150 and said "I see you've got a lift on here and a tonneau cover is there any other stuff on here I should know about" and I told him I'd already submitted receipts for everything that I put on the truck. He told me they should have a valuation by the end of the day. Monday and Tuesday came and went and nothing.

I bet it's because the valuation is so high he has to get extra approval for it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bird with big dick posted:

Monday morning the Progressive guy called me about my totaled F-150 and said "I see you've got a lift on here and a tonneau cover is there any other stuff on here I should know about" and I told him I'd already submitted receipts for everything that I put on the truck. He told me they should have a valuation by the end of the day. Monday and Tuesday came and went and nothing.

I bet it's because the valuation is so high he has to get extra approval for it.

I hope you're right, but don't get your hopes up.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I was joking but the at fault party has the same insurance company so there’s a small chance they won’t gently caress around and will make me legitimately whole. The fact that he called me to ask about the lift and the tonneau is a good sign though.

How much I get for the truck is ultimately going to make little difference what’s going to matter is how much injury liability insurance the guy has.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Did you notify your insurance company about all of the modifications? No? Good luck with the valuation then; they all want to know about anything significant (in TX, you have to let them know once any modifications exceed $1000, I'm sure it varies by state though). Especially since it's the same company on both ends. They may (will) wind up being dicks and just adding whatever their limit on modifications they didn't know about is (i.e. $1k in TX), minus depreciation of course.

Ultimately though, if you're injured, you should be talking to a lawyer, full stop. Your insurance company is full of them, but they're trying to protect the insurance company and minimize damages/payouts. Their lawyers are not working in your best interests overall, and they are not YOUR lawyer.

And if the guy just had state minimums, you may be in for a world of hurt.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 26, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Since he was 100% at fault his insurance company has the responsibility to make me financially whole. If it were just my insurance I wouldn't expect to get it covered because they sell coverage specifically for aftermarket parts but I'm not filing against my insurance I'm filing against his insurance. The fact that they happen to be the same company isn't a get out of jail free card for the insurance company to avoid their financial obligations and if they want to gently caress around and find out then it'll get thrown on the pile with the injury lawsuit.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Up to his limits, yeah. I know state minimums where I'm at is only $25k in property damage, which... well, you're gonna max that out if you tag a well-optioned Sentra these days.

Uh... I should probably look at my insurance limits, now that I think about it.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

fridge corn posted:

Batman is a cop who beats up the mentally ill

I know this is from pages ago, but someone recently did a wonderful breakdown of (in my own words) Batman doesn't fit into modern society and should be retired as a character.

When Batman was conceived and for many decades afterwards, cops had pretty basic training and equipment. He was a rich man with access to technology and training that cops didn't have - and he used that to capture criminals/mentally ills folks who had access to technology and gadgets cops didn't have. Think Adam West Batman.

But nowadays, police departments are equipped and trained like the military. Armored cars, drones, tasers, teargas, thermal vision, SWAT tactics, snipers, etc. There's no equipment that Batman or his nemesis (nemesii? nemesises?) can have that a big-city police department couldn't deal with (unless it's something completely ridiculously out of scope for a Batman character, like a space laser or zombies).

So Batman has morphed from a gadget-possessing detective who is better equipped to deal with supervillans, to a guy who basically exists to beat the poo poo outta criminals; and does illegal poo poo the cops can't do(in the realm of the Batman franchise).

Recent Batman films have handled that by making most of the cops incompetent, crooked, or both - but that's not generally a great thing to base your characters' existence on.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Since he was 100% at fault his insurance company has the responsibility to make me financially whole. If it were just my insurance I wouldn't expect to get it covered because they sell coverage specifically for aftermarket parts but I'm not filing against my insurance I'm filing against his insurance. The fact that they happen to be the same company isn't a get out of jail free card for the insurance company to avoid their financial obligations and if they want to gently caress around and find out then it'll get thrown on the pile with the injury lawsuit.

I've had good results hounding the gently caress out of the insurance company, got nearly double the original offer because the person you speak to is playing with company money if that makes sense

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

big dong wanter posted:

I've had good results hounding the gently caress out of the insurance company, got nearly double the original offer because the person you speak to is playing with company money if that makes sense

Yep. As with most things, package and presentation make a huge difference. When I smashed a deer with my GMC Envoy, I met the adjuster in my detailed-out BMW and showed him all the clean condition details of the Envoy that would make it higher than book value. I was friendly, but made sure he knew that I knew what I was talking about.

Ended up getting a higher than book payout. Did it actually make a difference? I don't know, but it surely didn't hurt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I had to threaten to get a lawyer when State Farm denied my vandalism claim. Thankfully my csr worked very hard to make things right.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Not to be rude, but your CSR hosed up bad, but it did benefit you. They may have lost their job over it.

SOP at any call center job is "lawyer? okay, here's the # to our legal department, we've notated your account as seeking legal representation, everything has to go through them now, have a nice day ILUVUBAHBYE*click*"

And yes, the accounts did indeed get noted as "XFER TO LEGAL - DO NOT SPEAK TO" in big red text, or something similar. The last call center I worked at, any call flagged as "xfer to legal" automatically got a manager listening in on the call ASAP to make sure you either sent them to legal, or told them to have their lawyer call our lawyers. There was nothing else we could do once you said "lawyer", that was basically a lifetime flag. We. Could. Not. Touch. The. Account. without getting fired, full loving stop.

I really hated that company, but that was one thing I liked. Threaten a lawyer? NP, blacklisting you now and transferring you to the voicemail for legal. If you REALLY hosed up and said "disconnect" and "lawyer" on the same call, oh boy those calls were FUN! Basically give the same spiel, hang up as I no longer was authorized to speak to them in any capacity, then call billing, tell them they said disconnect and legal in the same phone call, they blacklist their address for EVERYTHING. This is (was) a major telco, most of their customers are rural customers with POTS and either DSL or dialup (some with satellite). If you wanted the instant disconnect, that was the way to get it; it took ~5 minutes for their DSL to die, POTS was gone within an hour or two (a normal disconnect took weeks with this place). They took this very seriously, and every call related to this would be reviewed pretty quickly (usually same day) to make sure you dotted Is and crossed Ts properly. There was very specific phrasing you had to use for every step the moment they said "lawyer". This place didn't use scripts, except when someone said lawyer.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 26, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No it was the investigator. He showed up and proclaimed the egg damage was preexisting despite the yolk still being runny. She did her job just fine honestly, but that dude was a fucker. I think I detailed it when it happened, took 29 days to get things in my favor.

Second virtual session done. It was less nice.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It depends on the phrasing you use. If you casually say something like "I really don't want to have to get a lawyer involved", then there's a lot more leeway and they can still work with you. If you jump to "I'M CALLING MY LAWYER" or something like that, they're supposed to refer you to legal and hang up.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I had a great experience with state farm when my C70 got totaled in 2012. They gave me high book value and then about $1500 extra because I presented receipts for the tune, stereo, suspension and wheels. $14k for a $12.5k high book value car. It helped that I always kept it clean, it only had 65k miles on it, and it was obvious how nice it was. It also had a salvage title but they never mentioned it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Same, though I actually started in February, when my stylist retired. And now my beard is almost as long.
I'll probably trim the beard, and keep the hair, at least until October when I can do The Dude for halloween.

I was thinking about growing a goatee, throwing on some eye shadow and being Jack Sparrow :v:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Wife and I were just talking about this, would be surprised if Halloween is even a thing this year. Sucks.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I was thinking about growing a goatee, throwing on some eye shadow and being Jack Sparrow :v:

Wife and I were just talking about this, would be surprised if Halloween is even a thing this year. Sucks.

Logistically speaking, door to door trick or treating is the easiest to adapt. Candy is already wrapped, it can be done without any physical contact and a pretty large subset of costumes can incorporate good masks.
Sadly, that would rely on people not being stupid, so yeah, it's not going to happen.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

I was joking but the at fault party has the same insurance company so there’s a small chance they won’t gently caress around and will make me legitimately whole. The fact that he called me to ask about the lift and the tonneau is a good sign though.

How much I get for the truck is ultimately going to make little difference what’s going to matter is how much injury liability insurance the guy has.

I was in this situation in 2015 when my wife was involved in an accident that totaled my 2006 dmax silverado. All three drivers had Farm Bureau, my wife was the third person involved. A 80+ year old woman hit the back corner of an accord driven by a 21 year old woman. The accord went sideways and my wife broadsided the accord at 35mph directly on the drivers door. The girl was not wearing a seat belt. She survived, but had to learn how to walk and has lifelong issues. My wife wound up with a cut but thats it. It wound up going against my own UIM policy. Farm Bureau paid out within a week, giving me $22k for a truck with 170k miles. We still get letters from whatever lawyer the girl hires trying to tap into our liability and umbrella because the old lady had indiana state minimum.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

McTinkerson posted:

Logistically speaking, door to door trick or treating is the easiest to adapt. Candy is already wrapped, it can be done without any physical contact and a pretty large subset of costumes can incorporate good masks.
Sadly, that would rely on people not being stupid, so yeah, it's not going to happen.
yeah, we were talking about this too.

We have a very popular street with ~300 kids, and I already have darn near enough Candy for them.... which means I've got a metric fuckton of candy to eat if it doesn't go ahead because giving kids 2 year old Candy, while I'm sure most would happily wolf it down, isn't something I plan to do.

Oh well, those Reese PB cups and packs of nerds and twizzlers ain't gonna eat themselves! :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've said it before, but the US statutory minimum insurance coverages are insane.

My couple of hundred a year gets me twenty million in cover.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

slidebite posted:

Oh well, those Reese PB cups and packs of nerds and twizzlers ain't gonna eat themselves! :v:

That just means that AI:SS this year is going to be diabetes inducing :haw:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I've said it before, but the US statutory minimum insurance coverages are insane.

My couple of hundred a year gets me twenty million in cover.

The lower limits are absurd, but the upper is almost as bad. I don't think I've ever seen the option for automotive liability coverage that tops $500k.

Neither of those numbers has moved significantly in the two decades I've been driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hello