Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Max Wilco posted:

I was watching some random TF2 montage video this morning, and they said they were sponsored by this site: Mannco.Store.

Dunno if they're legit or not, though. They seem to be. The site itself is verified by Cloudflare, and the link to sign in through Steam takes you to the legit Steam login page (verified by Valve Corp)

That said, looking at the ad on that video (around the 1:20 mark), one of the payment options shown is G2A Pay, which is a red flag. There's also no option for PayPal, by the looks of it.

What makes that a red flag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

drrockso20 posted:

What makes that a red flag?

G2A is a key reseller that sells keys that haven't been obtained legally, and is supposedly a front for organized crime. There was a thing from a couple of years ago where devs were asking people to pirate their games, rather than buy them on G2A.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, G2A is the biggest reason small developers have to deal with an unending flood of fake "hey I'm a streamer can I have 20 keys" emails.

And when credit card # thieves buy keys then resell them on G2A, it ends up coming out of the devs' pockets. The purchases all get reversed when the bank discovers the theft, but the keys have already been resold to unaware "customers". The thieves keep the payout, and the devs get hit with a chargeback fee and the choice of whether it's worth the hassle to deactivate the fraudulent keys (it usually isn't).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So use Steam or Gog and let them buffer you from that poo poo.

Oh right you don’t want to pay their platform fees because “Steam doesn’t provide any value-add”. Carry on.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

So use Steam or Gog and let them buffer you from that poo poo.

Oh right you don’t want to pay their platform fees because “Steam doesn’t provide any value-add”. Carry on.

I don't understand what you're saying? A lot of the problem we're talking about is related to, for instance, Steam keys being resold on G2A.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ditocoaf posted:

I don't understand what you're saying? A lot of the problem we're talking about is related to, for instance, Steam keys being resold on G2A.

If you do a chargeback on Steam does the developer pay the fee or does Steam? Either way the developer is at no risk of losing their merchant account (it’s Steam’s merchant account not yours) and the user account doing the chargeback is getting banned.

I’m saying that Steam letting you use their merchant account and giving leverage against users filing chargebacks (even if you got hacked - you pull the trigger on a chargeback and you lose everything on your account, so you are strongly incentivized to work things out civilly with Steam support) is a huge value add for developers but they whine nonstop about Steam fees.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 24, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ok? I guess you're a making a point perpendicular to the current subject, because none of that makes G2A good. I was just elaborating on why some devs would rather you pirate than buy from G2A. I don't know the details about how credit card thefts intersect with steam's merchant account.

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I was watching some random TF2 montage video this morning, and they said they were sponsored by this site: Mannco.Store.

Don't use them. They have a history of ddosing m.tf and are a large part of the reason geel is taking poo poo off his plate. Don't reward their behavior.

I would go a bit further and say you shouldn't be spending any money on tf2 until valve addresses the bot issue, but that would take a large effort on the part of the greater community to hurt their bottom line as a message and I doubt that'll happen.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Girbot posted:

you shouldn't be spending any money on tf2

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Ditocoaf posted:

Ok? I guess you're a making a point perpendicular to the current subject, because none of that makes G2A good. I was just elaborating on why some devs would rather you pirate than buy from G2A. I don't know the details about how credit card thefts intersect with steam's merchant account.

The original discussion was about an alternative to Market.tf and finding something "legit" when the Steam store already exists but charges transaction fees.

I'd agree with don't spend money on this game, but also don't spend money anywhere near G2A.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
Sometimes I feel bad about spending actual money on virtual hats, but then I get customers at work happily spending £10 on 8 slices of ham, and I’m comforted knowing that at least my hats aren’t going to end up as poo

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I fired up TF2 a few days ago and SURPRISE I'm still bad at the game. Still had some fun running around healing people and getting melee kills as a medic.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Worth mentioning that yesterday was also the anniversary for Team Fortress.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
happy birthday tf! I still love ya!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Worth mentioning that yesterday was also the anniversary for Team Fortress.

Bots celebrated TF2's birthday by naming themselves "Ditocoaf" and votekicking me. Twice in a row. I saw several others fall prey to this tactic or narrowly escape it that same night. It was a hellscape. It makes votekicking a much bigger hassle, as you usually have to deny the first vote, then hash things out in chat to make sure the real bot is getting kicked.

It's like there's a whole ecosystem where the bots named "irc.hack.bot" proliferate until everyone has a hair trigger on votekicks, then name-copying bots proliferate by taking advantage of that until everyone's wary of votekicks again.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 24, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The Virtual Economist put up a follow up video to his Beginner's Guide to TF2 Trading. This one is 'Beginner's Guide to Making Profit'.

Incidentally, I tried going on a trade server and trading my unusual for something else. I was set up to trade with someone, but Backpack.TF wasn't working right, and we couldn't verify the item history for the Unusual I got and see if it was a dupe. They ended up backing out of the trade at the end, but that was fine, because I didn't want to pressure them into trading their Unusual away for something they couldn't verify. Turns out that was a good choice on their part, because I tried checking the hat today on Backpack.TF, and sure enough, it's a dupe.

:negative:

EDIT: Oh, and my browser just crashed while trying to download TF2 Classic, which I still haven't gotten around to trying yet. :sigh:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 24, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
What I don't get is what do the assholes making those bots get out of this

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

What I don't get is what do the assholes making those bots get out of this

I've been trying to figure this out too. Presumably someone's paying them, which is why the bots straight-up advertise what they are and who made them. But how is there enough of a clientele for "watching a tf2 account repeatedly get a few headshots then get votekicked" to support this apparently thriving industry? It's not like there are extrinsic rewards for blindly playing the game, farming drops can be done on an idle server.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's simply because the negative impact this has on the game greatly outsizes the effort it takes to run a bunch of bots. Certain people just love ruining poo poo.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Could be that bots and aimbot hacks are using the same code, and the best way to advertise hacks is by showing off the scripts in action maybe?

Have you ever tried to visit the websites advertised by them?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Shere posted:

It's simply because the negative impact this has on the game greatly outsizes the effort it takes to run a bunch of bots. Certain people just love ruining poo poo.

its this. run a few sandboxed .exes, and be able to gloat about killing a large game. maybe some of the cheatmakers use it to advertise their poo poo, but really, theres not much else to it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the old model used to be give away a free version that spammed the hell out of advertisements for the paid version. constantly attracted a stream of f2p accounts to do your bottling for you and incentivizes people who wanna cheat in ranked or whatever to pay for it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I renamed myself Spy Practice (because before this I had roughly 0.8% of my total play time as spy) and decided that I would just finally give it a try. Turns out playing SO many hundreds of hours with everyone else actually helps with being better than most pub spies you see. I have had some pretty satisfying chain stabs and medic picks the last few games. Also people are fully aware that I am practicing so no one has had a go at me for playing spy. It has been quite an eye opener. The game plays so differently.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

My theory is that bot guys want valve to pay more attention to TF2 so they are acting out trying to get valve to engage them.

Its like a child who bangs on pots and pans to get attention.

Other than that there are just people who like ruining online games with hacks because that is what they do.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have a theory that's probably not true, but that they're making it so obvious that they're trying to bait valve into instituting automatic bans so they can more easily track what VAC is actually looking for to identify hacks.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

there was that one hacker who hosed up Titanfall so badly that he got the game to crash on the title screen. everyone's game.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
So I hear there's some update which apparently ruins lerp 0, a thing I didn't know about until it was removed and couldn't use with my terrible connection anyway, but does that actually impact the game much?

e: also is there still a discord?

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 29, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

So I hear there's some update which apparently ruins lerp 0, a thing I didn't know about until it was removed and couldn't use with my terrible connection anyway, but does that actually impact the game much?

e: also is there still a discord?

The minimum interpolation was supposed to be 0.015, enforced by capping the cl_updaterate at a maximum of 66 and the cl_interp_ratio at a minimum of 1. (so 1/66th of a second ~ 0.0152). Some servers (not valve servers) removed caps on stuff like that. I take it that isn't allowed anymore.

All this does is let some players to gain a sliver more "accuracy to where the server says objects are" at the expense of things sometimes jittering around a bit as updates come in. Minimal interpolation is preferred by pyros for reflects, spies for trickstabs, and some projectile class players. Normal interpolation is good in all other cases, especially for hitscan weapons, since the server respects your client's smoothed version of history when it comes to hit detection.

Either way, I think the difference between 0 interpolation and 15 milliseconds of interpolation is negligable. People who mess with these settings are still essentially getting what benefit they can, which is already marginal.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 29, 2020

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
long shot, but does anyone have a very old tf2 frag video from an EU team where there was a lot of skybox editing? i can't remember who made it or which team it was, but there were two halves and one of them had "Lollipop" by mika as the song. the whole tone was very peppy. this would have been like 2010-ish i think? i'm not sure if it even exists anymore but i thought about it earlier today and its driving me crazy trying to find it

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I know exactly which one you're talking about, it's Flower Power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrGoLOBjrvo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh my god bless

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I wish Valve still supported the Replay Editor. I know it's enabled for some community servers, but being able to capture some of the successes or funny deaths I've had with the press of a key is something I wish had been kept on.

crabf
May 29, 2015

loving my new set

Walks
Sep 11, 2006

:dukedog:

Max Wilco posted:

I wish Valve still supported the Replay Editor. I know it's enabled for some community servers, but being able to capture some of the successes or funny deaths I've had with the press of a key is something I wish had been kept on.

I loved this feature. One of the servers I played on back in the day had it for around a month before they dropped it. Only got a handful of replays but watching everyone do their thing and editing it all was really cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VajEZHPCXBA
Holy poo poo 8 years ago...

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

it's depreciated? did Valve stop supporting it when they introduced the new UI to the main screen?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I know they removed the replay option from all Valve servers and the quickplay changes basically killed community servers.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How do you disable the contract dialogue that will not go away?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Extras from "How it FEELS to Play Demoman in TF2"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2t6iP4mWvA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I had no idea about the teammates eating your melee swings and I'm retroactively mad for all the times it's probably hosed me