Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Does anyone else always read it as "FFmpreg" at first or am I the only one this internet poisoned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

Does anyone else always read it as "FFmpreg" at first or am I the only one this internet poisoned

I'm afraid it's terminal. Sorry.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Posting for Sally's help :0

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
Is avisynth+ still a recommended way to edit videos? Should I just use a gui like avidemux intead?

I tried using it about a year ago and made 2-3 15 minute videos, each made from about 1-hour of screen-recording of my desktop.

I didn't like that every time I made a new video, I completely redid how my script looked compared to my previous video because it turned out that the way I wrote the script for my old video was dumb.

I also didn't like how the video-preview in my text editor didn't play sound, so I had to open the script in a different program to see the video+audio.

There's also http://www.vapoursynth.com/ which is allegedly an improved version avisynth. Has anyone tried this?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Nidoking posted:

Have you tried opening the script in, say, VirtualDub, saving the audio as a Wav, and using that as the audio track (either directly in MeGUI, or in the script)?

Couldn't get anything to work around the problem of it never being able to mux together audio and video, so I gave up on ffmpegsource2. Luckily there's a DirectShowSource plugin available, used that and a DirectShowSource script and the Haali Media Splitter to finally be able to get my .mp4 files the audio and video they so need. Quite a battle with MeGUI this time but it's over.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Faith For Two posted:

Is avisynth+ still a recommended way to edit videos? Should I just use a gui like avidemux intead?

I tried using it about a year ago and made 2-3 15 minute videos, each made from about 1-hour of screen-recording of my desktop.

I didn't like that every time I made a new video, I completely redid how my script looked compared to my previous video because it turned out that the way I wrote the script for my old video was dumb.

I also didn't like how the video-preview in my text editor didn't play sound, so I had to open the script in a different program to see the video+audio.

There's also http://www.vapoursynth.com/ which is allegedly an improved version avisynth. Has anyone tried this?

I've been using Avidemux for a while and of the various options I've tried it's the one that's had the most approachable GUI and the least fucky issues with not accepting various common file formats and codecs.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've been trying to share some videos of my Hitman runs with a few of my friends. The problem is, somewhere between me and Youtube they're taking a detour through the Land of Eternal Night or something. They come out looking like I was actually following one of those "reduce brightness until you can't see the logo" things. I'll give you an example.
My local recording:

The unwatchable dark smear it turns into on Youtube:

Even when there's bright light sources around it just obliterates any kind of detail.

How can I stop this from happening? If it helps, I've been using Shadowplay to record and just uploading the results directly, but again they look absolutely fine in my local copy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Dabir posted:

How can I stop this from happening? If it helps, I've been using Shadowplay to record and just uploading the results directly, but again they look absolutely fine in my local copy.

I found someone else who had the same issue and they had a couple of fixes:

quote:

Fastest work around so far for me is to put the video into Premiere Pro and export as H.264 Format, Render at Max Depth, Bitrate To max which is 240Mbps and Use Max Render Quality checked.

But they also note it only seems to happen with Shadowplay. Have you tried recording with, say, OBS and seeing if you get the same issue?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I haven't been able to get OBS recordings to look good ever since I got my new card. Probably be easier to just run the videos through Shotcut and do an equivalent to whatever that is. Cheers.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I'll be honest, I can barely see anything in the source image on my mediocre laptop screen. Are you playing the game in a dark room? Ambient lighting has a huge effect on how bright an image on a monitor seems to be. The source image is so dark it would be impossible to see in a well lit room, on anything but the best monitors.

I'm assuming youtube is just compressing out anything that wouldn't be visible in an average viewing scenario. Your bet bet would be to play the game in a brightly lit room, and crank up the gamma until it appears normal again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No, I play in a fully lit room.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

I'm getting some horrible crackling on my mic when recording 3D games with OBS (1080@60), and I can't figure out what's causing it.

Here's some footage of Paperball with the problem apparent. The first half of the video is using the "faster" preset, second half is using "veryfast".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD88e2cm0Jk

The problem disappears if I record at 720p60@superfast, but that's one hell of a drop in quality.
Specs:
Rx 570/R7 1700 @ 3.8ghz.
I'm using a Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000 USB headset, plugged into an usb 2.0 port. I have three other USB ports also in use by my controller, mouse, and keyboard.

Here's the OBS log:

https://pastebin.com/ZSV6JHbs

Thanks in advance.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think this might be the place for this question, if not please redirect me.

A group of people want to all stream to the same Twitch channel. We have the stream key, so we can broadcast to that channel. However it seems like with a stream key SLOBS can't feed in the chat and follow/sub notifications. I'm guessing that it's looking at our personal account feeds for that information.

Chat we can work around by having it load from a web browser window. Is there any way we can get follow/sub notifications working with a stream key in SLOBS?

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Dabir posted:

No, I play in a fully lit room.

I don't know what to say. On my crappier screens, both before and after look like pitch black blobs, with the former having a little bit of detail to it.
I asked my editor friend, and he said you probably need to lift the blacks and midranges up in a color correcting utility (most editing programs have this). Otherwise, if you can redo the game footage crank up the gamma in the game settings.

Edit: you may want to export a few seconds at the new settings, and upload it to youtube to check if it's working right before committing to the changes.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

does twitch's "low latency" mode work pretty well for streaming gameplay to a small number of people for live commentary purposes? about how much delay is there?

Danaru posted:

no i have done this for years

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Weedle posted:

does twitch's "low latency" mode work pretty well for streaming gameplay to a small number of people for live commentary purposes? about how much delay is there?

no i have done this for years

To my knowledge low latency mode on Twitch is mostly used for like, chat interaction. I don't think it'd be suitable for commentary. There's better ways for sure.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Arist posted:

To my knowledge low latency mode on Twitch is mostly used for like, chat interaction. I don't think it'd be suitable for commentary. There's better ways for sure.

what would be a good way to do it? the last time i did an lp i don't think twitch existed so i'm pretty behind on this stuff

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Weedle posted:

what would be a good way to do it? the last time i did an lp i don't think twitch existed so i'm pretty behind on this stuff

Last time I had to screenshare something Discord was a pretty good tool but I'm sure others here will have more experience here and will know what's best.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Discord's screenshare is definitely the way to go, it's pretty much instant

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.
I have been streaming from my xbone for the last couple days... is it normal to have only a single die-hard viewer who keeps watching even when you’re taking a nap?

And, more importantly, is this the thread to ask this in?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

There's a few bots that just connect to people's streams, either asked or unasked, might be one of them. There's a list of some of them here https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/9n0nip/ways_to_remove_some_channel_bots/

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.
Ok the issue is that I have 0 legit viewers. Time to sign up for Twitter I guess. Thanks for the info!

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
My suggestion is that like anything else it takes time to develop an audience and a significant amount of talking to yourself out loud (for streaming) is required for that to have a chance to happen. Whether it's worth the effort is up to you of course, and other social media can definitely help, but I do advise asking yourself how much of a following you need how fast for it to be something you want to keep doing. I wish your efforts well.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

For sure. Thank you for the advice.

When you say talking to yourself out loud, you just mean as in good practice? Or is there some technical reason to do so even if there are currently no viewers? Like, does twitch’s algorithm monitor who is making noise and not simply waiting for people to show?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

RobrtDwnsySyndrome posted:

For sure. Thank you for the advice.

When you say talking to yourself out loud, you just mean as in good practice? Or is there some technical reason to do so even if there are currently no viewers? Like, does twitch’s algorithm monitor who is making noise and not simply waiting for people to show?

if somebody tunes into your stream and you're just playing the game in silence without commentary they're not going to stick around

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

Ok cool good practice then. You all are a real help, thank you much

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Consider making some shorter streams that can be archived on the video platform. If you can stick to at most an hour per stream that's generally much easier to swallow as a VOD for potential viewers. Draw an initial audience with VOD content and keep them with live content.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I was thinking of getting a capture card. I looked on the first page for suggestions, which I will look into, but maybe things have changed since it was last updated.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was thinking of getting a capture card. I looked on the first page for suggestions, which I will look into, but maybe things have changed since it was last updated.
The post with the capture card suggestions was last updated in 2014 so yeah, it's very outdated at this point. I bought my capture card (the Elgato Game Capture HD60, the successor to the Elgato Game Capture HD mentioned in the post) around 2015 and it still works great, so I haven't really looked into this stuff in a while, but I know there are now many cards that can record at higher bitrates and even do 4K or HDR.

I believe the Elgato Game Capture HD60S is still considered a solid option if you just want a 1080p60 capture card.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
Would it behoove us to have a Discord for this stuff? (Unless there's already something similar.) Real-time help for those that need it would be nice, having to redo the OP is a pain, and half the time, we have to ask if they have a Discord just to see their problem in the first place if they can't post it elsewhere.

I've been thinking about this thread and the OP from time to time, and as much as I've wanted to help start a new OP, it seems like it'd be easier to just have an open Discord and make the OP more of a quick thing. That's just me though, what do you guys think?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Touchfuzzy posted:

Would it behoove us to have a Discord for this stuff? (Unless there's already something similar.) Real-time help for those that need it would be nice, having to redo the OP is a pain, and half the time, we have to ask if they have a Discord just to see their problem in the first place if they can't post it elsewhere.

I've been thinking about this thread and the OP from time to time, and as much as I've wanted to help start a new OP, it seems like it'd be easier to just have an open Discord and make the OP more of a quick thing. That's just me though, what do you guys think?

Not sure if you're talking about LP in general, or more specific streaming stuff, but for the former, there's a tech support channel in the Let's Play Discord linked from the Sandcastle.. Feel free to join. Just note that the Discord is nowadays not just the Discord for this let's play forum but also for the LPBeach spinoff which was made when we got rather uncomfortable about the administration of SA a while ago.

Doesn't matter which of the forums you use though, we're a friendly bunch either way.

There's also some people there who stream regularly so they might be able to help out with streaming questions too, it's just not the main thing.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Updated the capture card section. Considered just removing the SD section but eh, leaving it for now. Also updated the microphone section a bit. Sometime I'll look into the headsets.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Does anyone here use Vegas Pro for video editing? My process of making videos is to record game footage in OBS, then edit them down with Vegas Pro 15. However, even with what I think should be optimal settings, the footage still looks awful after I render it and upload it to YouTube. I can't figure it out it it's something to do with my settings, or if it's just because of how YouTube processes it.

I tried watching a few gameplay videos of Dark Souls(specifically the Bell Gargoyles fight) and it seems like at minimum, you have to your video at 1080p60FPS to get a relatively crystal-clear image. I have a couple of video rendered in 1080p60FPS, but I still notice compression artifacts. Granted, I am playing the videos in fullscreen to vet them.

Could it be that I need to tweak my rendering settings to get a better picture, or am I just being too picky about the quality? The raw footage from OBS looks sharp, so i could just be that I'm annoyed that some of that quality is lost in rendering it, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Screencaps of my project setting (from dragging-and-dropping a video into Vegas), and the 'Render As/Customize Template settings' (based off a tutorial I found from searching Youtube)

Also, does being a verified channel affect your quality? Maybe it's just my paranoia, but it seems like verified channels (i.e. the ones with the little checkmarks next to the name) have a better video quality.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 18, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If the artifacts are in fact getting introduced during the Vegas render it seems like the easiest way to check that would be to look at the post-render video before uploading it.

But Youtube does a lot of weird garbage to quality so I'm thinking it's probably that.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's been a while since I used Vegas, but it looks like your project and render framerates are mismatched, making Vegas interpolate the 60 fps video down to 59.94 fps. You could try either setting Resample Mode to none or changing the render framerate to 60.

Or if you want to stop letting Vegas' kinda lovely encoders do their thing, you could install Debugmode FrameServer and feed the signpost avi it makes into MeGUI to encode with x264 (or x265 or whatever).

Please note that I don't even have Vegas installed anymore so I can't go look at settings to make sure I'm not talking out my rear end.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Arist posted:

If the artifacts are in fact getting introduced during the Vegas render it seems like the easiest way to check that would be to look at the post-render video before uploading it.

But Youtube does a lot of weird garbage to quality so I'm thinking it's probably that.

I do check the video before uploading. All the recent videos I've rendered in Vegas I've since deleted, so I can't go back to look at them for comparison. However, I recall that the rendered quality, while not as clear as the raw video, was still pretty crisp, which makes me think it is indeed something on YouTube's end..

Geemer posted:

It's been a while since I used Vegas, but it looks like your project and render framerates are mismatched, making Vegas interpolate the 60 fps video down to 59.94 fps. You could try either setting Resample Mode to none or changing the render framerate to 60.

Or if you want to stop letting Vegas' kinda lovely encoders do their thing, you could install Debugmode FrameServer and feed the signpost avi it makes into MeGUI to encode with x264 (or x265 or whatever).

Please note that I don't even have Vegas installed anymore so I can't go look at settings to make sure I'm not talking out my rear end.

The issue is that in the Custom Settings for rendering, the highest it will allow is "59.940 (Double NTSC)". If I try to type in 60, it just reverts back. I can try disabling resampling in Project Settings and see what results I get.

Debugmode FrameServer sounds interesting, though it looks kind of complicated.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 19, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Max Wilco posted:

However, I recall that the rendered quality, while not as clear as the raw video, was still pretty crisp, which makes me think it is indeed something on YouTube's end..
It almost certainly is. As I've been saying for some time now, YouTube butchers 1080p video no matter what the settings are on your end. Especially games with lots of fast movement or granular detail suffer horribly from YouTube's compression at 1080p, and the only way to get around that is to render at a higher resolution (i.e. 1440p or 4K) even if the source is only 1080p.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Doc M posted:

It almost certainly is. As I've been saying for some time now, YouTube butchers 1080p video no matter what the settings are on your end. Especially games with lots of fast movement or granular detail suffer horribly from YouTube's compression at 1080p, and the only way to get around that is to render at a higher resolution (i.e. 1440p or 4K) even if the source is only 1080p.

I remember being told this before (as I asked about this topic a month or so back), but I never got around to trying it. I recorded a short, two-minute clip in Team Fortress 2, then I created a project with a custom resolution of 2560x1440 at 59.940FPS. I disabled the Resampling, set Full Resolution Rendering Quality to 'Best', and put similar setting for the rendering.

The problem I found, though was that Vegas would not render the video in the Sony AVC/MVC format at that resolution (it seems to top out at 1920x1080, and trying to render at a higher custom resolution just results in an error). At that point, I went back to the project settings, and ended up setting it to a modified version of QFHD (3840x2160) at 59.940FPS, and I tried rendering it as a Sony XAVC, as there seemed to be a setting for it at that resolution ("XAVC Intra 3840x2160-59.94p").

The file rendered relatively fast, though the format was something I'm not familiar with (.mxf). The file size was also huge compared to the raw video (the raw video was only 1.00GB, but render ended up being 6.89GB). It took about an hour to upload to YouTube, and I think around a half hour to process the HD version.

Here's the final result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD8Ar_4IRMk

At 1080p60FPS, it looks pretty good, and somewhat better than a previous video I did. On 1440p or 2160p, it looks about on par with the original raw footage.

So a few questions:

1.) Should I have rendered the video in a different format? Vegas has like 10 different formats you can render as (not counting those that are just audio), with two dozen templates for each. I've been using the Sony/Magix AVC/AAC MP4 formats, because that's what seems to be recommended for internet video. FAKE EDIT: Magix AVC/AAC MP4 format has template for 4K. I just didn't see because I was scrolled down too far. :doh:

2.) Geemer suggested turning off resampling, and I'm wondering if that was what affected my videos previously. Could Smart Resampling have messed up the quality?

3.) Should I bother with trying to upscale every video to 1440p or 2160p? It seems like it bloats the file size, and makes uploading take longer. Most times when I watch a video on Youtube, I'm not watching it full-screen, but at 480p (or possibly 720p, depending on how the weird 'Auto' quality things works), the image quality is still pretty crisp and clear, just not ultra-sharp. Ideally, that's what I'd like: something that still looks clear at low quality.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So youtube videos at 4k just don't buffer and will pause every 10 seconds while re-buffering. Sure, OK. But when I try to change the video quality settings, that doesn't actually do anything. I will select 720 p or w/e, but youtube will automatically kick back to 4K and this is annoying. Do I need to change a default setting somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm getting a screenshot LP ready to go again, and got my record -> irfanview -> transcribe process ready, but I want to pepper it with a few short video clips. I'm a video dummy. Is using Gooncam or something to make some gifs still the appropriate way of getting some short clips in there? Will that lead to overload on what I'm expecting will be a slow paced page? Should I just link them off to youtube instead?

As for lpix, is rightload with the plugin still the way to go? It looks like there's also a ShareX plugin, but I've never used that. Any real difference?