Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I didn't look into the methodology, but as a group they look almost too handsome to me. I guess that it's hard to capture all the little flaws from what sources are available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Nero won't stop talking about how cool his older brother's truck is

Vitellius has a show an AM radio where he rants about immigrants

Trajan has five aces up his sleeve and wants to tell you about four balls on the edge of a cliff

Elagabalus reviews Hello Kitty toys on Youtube

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Vespasius is super friendly and wants to buy you a drink and then tell you ALLLLLL of his opinions about muslims

Gordian I and Gordian II were great friends, but they had a falling out about what kind of shed they should get for the allotment

Severus Alexander is hot, but he knows it and is way too up himself as a result

(also paging Ms. Boods if she's not here already)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Nero totally looks like the sort of guy who would make his horse a Senator to ‘trigger the libs’

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
gently caress Max Thrax, kill Caligula, marry Augustus

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill kill Julius.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Otho is a real failson

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Elagabalus has that school shooter look.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Vespasius is super friendly and wants to buy you a drink and then tell you ALLLLLL of his opinions about muslims

Jews actually, but definitely yes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean he probably didn’t have any special opinions on the Jews. He fought a war with them but that was his job. They revolted, he put them down.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC the Romans were weirded out by the Jews because of their whole 'you shall have no other gods but me' thing, some considered them atheists as a result.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the Romans were weirded out by the Jews because of their whole 'you shall have no other gods but me' thing, some considered them atheists as a result.

Refusing to pay due respects to the imperial cult was seen as basically sedition.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There was also the question of taxes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they were seen as kind of weird and the brutality of the first two Jewish revokts didn’t help.

Granted that brutality was just as likely to be against other Jews but what they did to Cyrene was something

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Since the Romans were big on syncreticism (which does not mean "all religions are true", but rather "everybody worships the same gods but calls them different names"),the other reaction was deciding the Jews were worshipping Caelus, the Sky Itself and grandfather of Jupiter.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I appreciate Byzantine talking Roman Religious History.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thrax the DILF

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Worth noting that Max Thrax was known as known for his excessive body sweat. It was said that he could fill three vessels with his sweat daily.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
When you say "vessels" you mean jugs and not boats, right? :ohdear:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

aardwolf posted:

When you say "vessels" you mean jugs and not boats, right? :ohdear:

Before Max Thrax the oceans were fresh water. So much sweat.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

Thrax the DILF

the dude was basically André the giant’s bigger, angrier cousin.

quote:

His thumb was said to be so large that he wore his wife's bracelet as a ring for it.

According to Historia Augusta, "he was of such size, so Cordus reports, that men said he was eight foot, one finger (c. 2.4 metres) in height".

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alhazred posted:

Worth noting that Max Thrax was known as known for his excessive body sweat. It was said that he could fill three vessels with his sweat daily.

:same:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fly Molo posted:

the dude was basically André the giant’s bigger, angrier cousin.

What's the ye olde way of saying citation needed

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Milo and POTUS posted:

You told a lie, an odious, damned lie!
Upon my soul, a lie, a wicked lie!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

Luther quotes: https://ergofabulous.org/luther/

quote:

What do you mean when you say this? Are you dreaming in the throes of a fever or are you laboring under a madness?

From Explanations of the Ninety-Five Theses, pg. 184 of Luther's Works, Vol. 31

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
Herennius Etruscus could be played by Jake Gyllenhaal...if there was much remotely interesting about him to make a movie about.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
for a man named toilet, commodus is pretty fine

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The romans loved exaggerating barbarians size and the HA various writers would believe anything if it made a good story so take all that with a pinch of salt

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pick posted:

for a man named toilet, commodus is pretty fine
He's not the one who did the "Does this money stink? But it comes from piss" line, was he?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

drat, all these emperors itt and the only one i'd get a beer with is lucius verus

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Nessus posted:

He's not the one who did the "Does this money stink? But it comes from piss" line, was he?

Vespasian

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
It’s remarkable how far haircut technology has come

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

hard counter posted:

drat, all these emperors itt and the only one i'd get a beer with is lucius verus

Verus was a spoiled rich kid who partied 24/7 who died of the plague.

So this tracks

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

CharlestheHammer posted:

Verus was a spoiled rich kid who partied 24/7 who died of the plague.

So this tracks

Sure when he does it he gets called emperor but when I do it I get shamed on Facebook for spreading corona.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Anyone shooting at Americans, you root for. Unless you MAGA.

C'mon man

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alhazred posted:

Alamo is one of those battles were there really isn't anyone to root for. Just a gang of assholes killing a smaller gang of assholes.

You root for the dudes not fighting to preserve the institution of slavery.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ChubbyChecker posted:

Luther quotes: https://ergofabulous.org/luther/

From Explanations of the Ninety-Five Theses, pg. 184 of Luther's Works, Vol. 31

“You pant after the garlic and melons of Egypt and have already long suffered from perverted tastes.”

From Against Latomus, pg. 223 of Luther's Works, Vol. 32

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

You root for the dudes not fighting to preserve the institution of slavery.

Santa Anna did not attack the Alamo to abolish slavery. If the texans had paid their taxes he had probably had left them alone with their slaves.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hmm? The Texans revolted specifically because of Mexico’s stance on slavery.

Is this lost cause bullshit but for the first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Vespasian looks like he made the world's most famous beat drop and obviously charts on itunes in August of 2020.

he looks so much like Phil Collins it's uncanny

Domitian looks like he does Christopher Walken impressions because that is obviously Kevin Pollak

And why is Jack Whitehall the roman emperor Hostilian now? Because that's clearly him and that's either very funny or somehow fitting.