Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
I read the entire wheel of time series hoping something would happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
Nothing happened

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Sliding in to say Black Company and Garret PI are good, and I hope Glen Cook is not a sexfiend. Thanks

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I had the chance to read Equal Rites a couple of years back, it's the 3rd in the discworld series and the first witches book and I thought it held up very well. The last couple of witches books you could really see the alzheimer's at work, witches shooting fireballs and the like, which is antithetical to the ideas about witches he had previously expressed.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Aeryk posted:

I read the entire wheel of time series hoping something would happen

I only read the first book and by god that was a slog. By the end, I already forgotten who was who and what is what. And to think that there is like more of those double brick sized tomes to follow I just noped out even during my peak nerdling phase. I remember reading about the eighth book coming out by then.

I mean, at least I still somehow remember wtf was going on in Dragonlance :v:

Just look at this page/word count total:

11,898pp (PB) / 10,173pp (HB)
4,410,036 words :stare:

That being said, I'm a sucker for tl;dr world building and might tackle that mighty dragon (heh( if I feel like a reading revival is happening in my pea sized brain

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Though, to be fair, I tried to read WoT when I was still learning English as a second language which might affected my enjoyment and general understanding by then.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Does anyone remember much about the Deathgate Cycle? I started reading it in highschool and I think I only made it to the water world and for some reason thats the world that annoyed me enough to quit reading, but I dont even really remember why.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Bismuth posted:

Does anyone remember much about the Deathgate Cycle? I started reading it in highschool and I think I only made it to the water world and for some reason thats the world that annoyed me enough to quit reading, but I dont even really remember why.

I remember a bit because I re-read it after college with a more adult brain. I found it to be a lot more readable than some of the other stuff by W&H in this thread and I still found a lot of the world concepts to be interesting, though water world was probably the most boring because the only thing I remember from it was a clumsy one-off love interest. I liked failing inverted necromancer fire world floating in a void much better

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
No one's mentioned The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant?

I read it because it was a HUGE THICK FANTASY TRILOGY and then the next 3 books because I wanted to see if anything would actually happen. I should never have started that quest.

quote:

Covenant is rescued from the height on which he appeared by a young woman named Lena, who introduces him to the Land. In many ways, the story implies that Lena stands for the entire Land. It is a world fecund with beauty; the "Earthpower" is a force that runs through every living thing and natural part of the Land; it is visible in different manifestations, and responds to the passion of the Land's people, who are devoted to caring for their Earth. Among other things, it makes bodily and psychological health and sickness tangible to the senses. Lena uses one of its embodiments, hurtloam, on Covenant's injuries, without understanding what leprosy is. Amazingly, Covenant finds his nerves restored. He is so overcome by this renewed vitality, so wounded by what he has suffered in our world, and so moved by inner self-loathing that the next day, he responds to Lena's interest in him with by raping her

3 books that takes to recover from, and it goes on and on and on. He takes 1000 pages to start not getting ANYONE ELSE to take some responsibility and then the next 3 books is trying to get someone else who dosn't believe where they are to experience the same plot.

After beating the bad guy, the 2nd series is all how after 50 generations of good times, the bad guy comes back and destroys the environment without anyone doing anything to stop it and activity helping. Dammit, he wrote about global warming a decade before I found out about it. And he was right. . Still got bad memories of all the time I spent reading it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Comstar posted:

No one's mentioned The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant?

I read it because it was a HUGE THICK FANTASY TRILOGY and then the next 3 books because I wanted to see if anything would actually happen. I should never have started that quest.

3 books that takes to recover from, and it goes on and on and on. He takes 1000 pages to start not getting ANYONE ELSE to take some responsibility and then the next 3 books is trying to get someone else who dosn't believe where they are to experience the same plot.

After beating the bad guy, the 2nd series is all how after 50 generations of good times, the bad guy comes back and destroys the environment without anyone doing anything to stop it and activity helping. Dammit, he wrote about global warming a decade before I found out about it. And he was right. . Still got bad memories of all the time I spent reading it.

To explain, this series is about a man who lives in the modern day who has leprosy and is constantly tormented by people in his localcommunity. He wakes up one day in a fantasy realm where he is proclaimed to be the chosen one who will defeat Lord Foul, the bad guy from this fantasy realm. Dude decides that "This must be a dream," so he rapes the girl who found him as pretty much his first act. Problem is, he's still the chosen one. So, everyone in this world, including the mother of the girl he raped, still need him to defeat Lord Foul. And as was said, the first three books are pretty much entirely about him trying to recover from the fact that the first thing that he did was rape a completely innocent girl. The book plays up her completely trusting nature to make this guy seem like a complete monster at first, though as the series goes on the main character is just absolutely crushed under the weight of his guilt.

I, uh, have some very mixed feelings about these books. They ultimately have a lot to say about the nature of redemption and sacrifice, but the route they take to get there is not good.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

sweet geek swag posted:

To explain, this series is about a man who lives in the modern day who has leprosy and is constantly tormented by people in his localcommunity. He wakes up one day in a fantasy realm where he is proclaimed to be the chosen one who will defeat Lord Foul, the bad guy from this fantasy realm. Dude decides that "This must be a dream," so he rapes the girl who found him as pretty much his first act...

They ultimately have a lot to say about the nature of redemption and sacrifice, but the route they take to get there is not good.

:stare:

Maybe I should stick to Redwall.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

DrPossum posted:

I remember a bit because I re-read it after college with a more adult brain. I found it to be a lot more readable than some of the other stuff by W&H in this thread and I still found a lot of the world concepts to be interesting, though water world was probably the most boring because the only thing I remember from it was a clumsy one-off love interest. I liked failing inverted necromancer fire world floating in a void much better

Somehow I missed the fire one but I read the earth and air ones and then like maybe half of the water. Always wondered if I should have bothered finishing the series.

E: whoop I looked up that Thomas Covenant thing and can we take a moment to appreciate the character names? Thomas Covenant, Lord Foul, High Lord Kevin, Foamfollower, The Bloodguard... it sounds like a child named these

Bismuth fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 26, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

InediblePenguin posted:

this very day large chunks of the world willingly donate money to the creators of podcasts and shows like critical roll and the adventure zone; this isn't the massive zinger you clearly think it is

That's fair, and thanks for making me think about it a little deeper.

I'd argue that the difference is professionalism or experience or talent: in all of the live-play podcasts I like, the players are all experienced actors and improv people. The GMs are people who write and do improv.

Just as importantly, they're edited in a really skilful way, so I'd argue they begin with better material and they can shape it more effectively (at least in terms of excising boring stuff).

There's a difference between a group playing to enjoy themselves and a group playing to enjoy themselves and also to entertain people.

Alternatively: just because I'm listening to Rude Tales of Magic doesn't mean I wanna listen to the guy who buttonholes people at the game store to talk about his PC.

Meanwhile, I keep hearing good things about Critical Role, but I cannot loving get into it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It all blurs together. Although the last thing you said was from Earthsea which in no way belongs in this thread.

Grimoire posted:

Sliding in to say Black Company and Garret PI are good, and I hope Glen Cook is not a sexfiend. Thanks

yes, it was that series. grimoire, did it have the name thing or did i misremember?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Galewolf posted:

I only read the first book and by god that was a slog. By the end, I already forgotten who was who and what is what. And to think that there is like more of those double brick sized tomes to follow I just noped out even during my peak nerdling phase. I remember reading about the eighth book coming out by then.

I mean, at least I still somehow remember wtf was going on in Dragonlance :v:

Just look at this page/word count total:

11,898pp (PB) / 10,173pp (HB)
4,410,036 words :stare:

That being said, I'm a sucker for tl;dr world building and might tackle that mighty dragon (heh( if I feel like a reading revival is happening in my pea sized brain

you made a smart move by stopping reading it

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Galewolf posted:

By the way, this has been already said some pages ago but I wanted to congratulate the OP for this Laser Guided JDAM of a honeypot thread, outstanding job.

"Whoever fights Dragonlance should see to it that he does not become Dragonlance, and when you gaze long into goatse, goatse also gazes into you."

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Anyone advising you to read serialized fiction in anything other than publication order is a loon.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

this very day large chunks of the world willingly donate money to the creators of podcasts and shows like critical roll and the adventure zone; this isn't the massive zinger you clearly think it is
same wrt Terry Pratchett, something i really really hate to admit because yes, the fans. even my good friends who promise they won't do that end up doing that? what is the deal with that. i read Monstrous Regiment and it was okay but i didn't feel compelled to seek out more, which is apparently some kind of personal failing that i just lack the right temperament and sense of discipline to properly interact with the holy books or something? the fans are the worst

Yeah, like the goon posted after you "Rick and Morty of fantasy/satire books" is a good analogy, of course, we didn't had Rick and Morty as a benchmark back in 00's.

We were a group or different friend circles reading books, playing tabletop, and MTG. While most of the time everyone was chill about their favorite books/systems people were exceptionally defensive about Terry Pratchett and Ringworld and that was during his peak iirc. The "well, maybe you are not smart enough to get it" attitude pushed me even further from the books.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

sometimes I think that people get bullied and then sort of mirror that bullying in some hope of protecting themselves from the pain of being derisively judged by books about a type of dude who can ride various colors of dragons on the dragon planet.

But, like, maybe if you're a poor child in some forsaken part of the world and you found your friend's older brother's collection of weird books with dragons on them, and you're like, "well, I guess I can gently caress off and read these cool looking books instead of Madison putting gum in my hair, then the teacher sending me to the principals office for having gum in my hair a second time, because bullying is an accepted part of society."

Then sometimes it gets internalized and people think they have to meet the cruelty they were subjected to by yelling a lot and saying you can only gently caress a dragon in a certain kind of way. Like yeah, Nabokov's Pale fire is pretty funny too, it's fine.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Cf David Foster Wallace, Tool, Rush....

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

Last ones I've read is unseen academicals and uh the wintersmith and they were still good.

The Tiffany Aching books were all pretty good. The last two Vimes books were really bad, though, and that was probably in part because of his ailing health and worsening dementia.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

I enjoyed the wheel of time but there are a bunch of parts that are a slog. Its definitely way better then dragonlance though. Also I put the drizzt books on a single tier above dragonlance but just barely. Its the crap people read as a kid and then try to forget about until they see a thread like this lol.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Stealthgerbil posted:

I enjoyed the wheel of time but there are a bunch of parts that are a slog. Its definitely way better then dragonlance though. Also I put the drizzt books on a single tier above dragonlance but just barely. Its the crap people read as a kid and then try to forget about until they see a thread like this lol.

this guy is tiering his genre fiction.You must be a Raistlin.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Oh yeah, I don't think I can read what I used to read in terms of fantasy novels today without groaning every single page. I keep going back to LoTR, Silmarillon and Earthsea when I need my fix.

Earthsea in particular is aging like fine wine, each subsequent reading causes more and more awe and makes me discover things about myself. I particularly love the very minimal and simplistic covers of Earthsea books in Turkish:

The Belgariad Turkish covers are cartoony but kinda cute in it's own way:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Speaking of RA Salvatore he sometimes likes to include monks in his books and have them use nunchaku but he always calls them "exotic eastern flails" and it pisses me off every goddamn time.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

any dork who still fetishizes the 'mysterious orient' needs to have their right to write taken away permanently

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Galewolf posted:

Oh yeah, I don't think I can read what I used to read in terms of fantasy novels today without groaning every single page. I keep going back to LoTR, Silmarillon and Earthsea when I need my fix.

Earthsea in particular is aging like fine wine, each subsequent reading causes more and more awe and makes me discover things about myself. I particularly love the very minimal and simplistic covers of Earthsea books in Turkish:

The Belgariad Turkish covers are cartoony but kinda cute in it's own way:

Yeah, Earthsea is the exact kind of stuff I wish I had found as a child, but I only encountered it as an adult. Tombs of Atuan is one of my favorite books. They make for a great weird aunt/uncle gift.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I was lucky to read the og four back when I was 19-20 iirc. My mind was blown and I felt that some kind of veil over my perception of the world was lifted after reading them, if that makes any sense. Tombs of Atuan is barely a Readers Digest in terms of pages but, by god, it's an amazing read and possibly my favorite.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Galewolf posted:

I was lucky to read the og four back when I was 19-20 iirc. My mind was blown and I felt that some kind of veil over my perception of the world was lifted after reading them, if that makes any sense. Tombs of Atuan is barely a Readers Digest in terms of pages but, by god, it's an amazing read and possibly my favorite.

and the one chapter of wizard school in the first one is better than the whole corpus of jk rolling

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

and the one chapter of wizard school in the first one is better than the whole corpus of jk rolling

Oh man, when "you know what" happened at the end of the school chapter I was legit shook and be all :ohdear:. I also loved the chapter of his apprenticeship with Ogion, hell the whole book is beyond awesome.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Galewolf posted:

Earthsea in particular is aging like fine wine, each subsequent reading causes more and more awe and makes me discover things about myself.

I wrote a book report on an Earthsea book in 7th grade. The teacher left a note at the top of the page berating me for turning in a report about a book below my reading level.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

the brevity of earthsea is easily one of its strengths. I guess maybe that's why brain-troubled folk get obsessed with page-counts and padding. I definitely remember page number requirements in primary and secondary education.... It's funny how in middle school you go from a class that is like "The Soviet Union tried to sell tractors by weight, so they made very heavy tractors that sucked" then your english teacher is like "your required leisure reading benchmark is 1000 pages."

Anyway, love to see all the earthsea fans in the thread. It even did the idea of dragons better!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Brevity is good
Most garbage puke fantasy books could be ok if they were 1/5th the length

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Servoret posted:

I wrote a book report on an Earthsea book in 7th grade. The teacher left a note at the top of the page berating me for turning in a report about a book below my reading level.

I don't know when this was but especially in late 90's and 00's there was a rash of "anti-satanism" which led to overall shunning towards fantasy. Even if that wasn't the case, I mean, lol, "below reading level" is some weak rear end poo poo.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I read a bunch of Shadowrun books in the day but only thought two were really any good: 2XS and House of the Sun, both by Nigel Findley. I haven't revisited them in a while so I might be in for disappointment if I did.

A friend in college got me started on the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony. I read all seven, though by the end it was more through inertia than any real enjoyment, and the author's peccadilloes were shining brightly through the threadbare premise by the end. Strong first book though.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Galewolf posted:

Even if that wasn't the case, I mean, lol, "below reading level" is some weak rear end poo poo.

Yeah, I was baffled. It’s not like I did a report on a Xanth book or something.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Servoret posted:

Yeah, I was baffled. It’s not like I did a report on a Xanth book or something.

or bible!

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Mirage posted:

A friend in college got me started on the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony. I read all seven, though by the end it was more through inertia than any real enjoyment, and the author's peccadilloes were shining brightly through the threadbare premise by the end. Strong first book though.

IIRC, there’s an eighth book in that series where he has a passage explicitly defending hebephilia.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

The Time Dissolver posted:

Anyone advising you to read serialized fiction in anything other than publication order is a loon.

Exactly this. Chronicles of Narnia being a great example. Not fantasy, but the Sharpe books are nuts when it comes to this. The fifth in publication order is the 14th in chronological order.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It all blurs together. Although the last thing you said was from Earthsea which in no way belongs in this thread.

this is a nice derail. the fantasy books that still hold up.

Anything Le Guin wrote obviously. Bought a collection of Steven Brust Taltos books (because someone around here mentioned them) a couple of weeks ago and blazed through the first book, and I'm old as gently caress.

e: Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy?