Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Shatner may be somewhat biased.

RDA should write a counter op-ed.

This is what i get for not noticing the author

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
By the way, the Russians are loving around with us in Syria again.

https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam/status/1298656396704206848?s=19

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/08/26/us-troops-injured-russian-forces-syria-402347?__twitter_impression=true

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

maffew buildings posted:

at this point i think it's non zero they just don't bother arresting him

"He has such a bright future ahead of him"

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Watch them try him as a minor.

He'll be out by 21.
Most juvenile stuff doesn't work that way anymore, if it ever did. In that respect, it's like welfare queens and the insanity defense.
In WI, first and second degree intentional homicide and first degree reckless homicide go straight to adult court.

However,

maffew buildings posted:

at this point i think it's non zero they just don't bother arresting him

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Wait, he hasn't been arrested yet?

Oh this is bound to produce something stupid.

Has the Pipe Bomb SEAL been arrested yet?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stravag posted:

This is what i get for not noticing the author

Its a borderline gag op-ed, its good imo.

I am responding to this so I don't have to read more into deathcane or right wing death squads.

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

joat mon posted:

Most juvenile stuff doesn't work that way anymore, if it ever did. In that respect, it's like welfare queens and the insanity defense.
In WI, first and second degree intentional homicide and first degree reckless homicide go straight to adult court.

However,

I think it is too early to tell, because this could be a case of self defense. There is a bunch of videos, but it is impossible to really tell what sparked the altercation. It seems that the shooter was standing by a store, gets in an argument, had a Molotov thrown at him, shoots the thrower, runs away. He is chased by an armed crowd, is knocked over, and fires.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

^^^lmfao^^^

No, and there’s already a “self defense” narrative going around by purposely splicing video of the incident out of order. Also footage of him walking past the line if cops after the shooting abd the food letting him through.

He’s gonna walk

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Handsome Ralph posted:

This is gonna sound wrong no matter how I say it, but I always look forward to your posts every hurricane season.

They've already ID'd the shooter from Kenosha, not posting it here cause I don't want to get into any poo poo for doxxing but it's clearly him and the kid is a loving minor. Awesome.
[/quote

[quote="Handsome Ralph" post="507573952"]
This is gonna sound wrong no matter how I say it, but I always look forward to your posts every hurricane season.

They've already ID'd the shooter from Kenosha, not posting it here cause I don't want to get into any poo poo for doxxing but it's clearly him and the kid is a loving minor. Awesome.

I know what you mean. I get excited to go do it sometimes and see what the storm can do but it sucks when something like this is bearing down on people anywhere.

No good pics since I’ve been flying mostly at night and into nothing well-formed. I did see some cool sunsets and rainbows though. It’s not usually so orange in there. Excuse the dirty 50-year old window.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I said OoooOooOoooh out loud at my phone.

https://twitter.com/clairenjax/status/1298662751523479554?s=19

1st degree murder and fleeing the state. Woo!

Edit: so the cops let the drat murdering kid right through their barricade with his hands up, promptly did not arrest him, and the kid promptly fled the state and is on the run, likely to hole up with some other militia group. A+ job they did on that one.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 26, 2020

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I really hope that kid ends up strung up from a post, even if that's the wrong answer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Can we loving not?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Wait, so this kid:

1/ Has an illegal gun because he's under 18
2/ Crossed state lines with an illegal gun
3/ Shot people with the illegal gun
4/ Fled the pigs across state lines

That about sums it up?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just loving lol if we get a Bundy style standoff out of this fuckhead kid.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Don't have the twewt handy, but they're charging 1st degree murder and he's been labeled a fugitive

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Internet Wizard posted:

Has the Pipe Bomb SEAL been arrested yet?

Nah, he's gotta get his book deal inked first.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

facialimpediment posted:

By the way, the CDC is basically hosed now. This is why I tend to react like a gently caress when I see the "Biden won't make anything better ever" stuff.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1298582772932648960?s=19

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1298654628679221249?s=19

Why would a Biden admin change this? If you're already committed to not paying people to stay home and healthy, and to not providing care if they're sick, accurate and widespread testing doesn't do anything but make people scared to go out and buy things. There's no upside.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Don't have the twewt handy, but they're charging 1st degree murder and he's been labeled a fugitive

it was a page back

facialimpediment posted:

I said OoooOooOoooh out loud at my phone.

https://twitter.com/clairenjax/status/1298662751523479554?s=19

1st degree murder and fleeing the state. Woo!

Edit: so the cops let the drat murdering kid right through their barricade with his hands up, promptly did not arrest him, and the kid promptly fled the state and is on the run, likely to hole up with some other militia group. A+ job they did on that one.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
His hands just kind of casually going from in the air to near his gun while walking to the cops after what they did to Blake just makes my brain hurt.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Kid got arrested!

https://twitter.com/MollyBeck/status/1298668069493981184?s=19

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Good.

Glad they got him before he could run further.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Doc Hawkins posted:

Why would a Biden admin change this? If you're already committed to not paying people to stay home and healthy, and to not providing care if they're sick, accurate and widespread testing doesn't do anything but make people scared to go out and buy things. There's no upside.

Biden's on record that there is no economic fix without virus suppression, that he will listen to scientists and do what they want (including possible shutdowns - he took poo poo for that this week), and the massive bill that Democrats want in the Senate more or less shores up all of the paying people stuff, possibly even without an expiration date.

So the CARES bill pays the workers to stay home. Medicare buy-in expands health plans for lost insurance and poo poo that Congress doesn't auto-pay for or plans that are too poo poo as part of Obamacare (again, not as good as Medicare for all). The testing increases cut the transmission chains. The scientists leading press briefings finally tell the public the truth about where we actually are and what we can do about it.

So yeah, a lot of chunks there Biden can't do poo poo about, like the Senate bill. But people are drastically underestimating how much can be fixed rapidly without a numbers-obsessed conspiracy theorist in charge of everyone.

Side note: Donnie's attempts to kill testing are also comedic because it's just going to cause the positivity rate to skyrocket. On top of that, with flu season, poo poo's going to go rapidly out of control in a hurry and the lines are going to be absolutely obscene.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Why would a Biden admin change this? If you're already committed to not paying people to stay home and healthy and to not providing care if they're sick, accurate and widespread testing doesn't do anything but make people scared to go out and buy things. There's no upside.

Here's the thing- the way the pandemic is being mismanaged means that in the near term, the economy is gonna take a nosedive, and international trade being in the situation it is- no amount of domestic stimulation is going to make it much better. Biden, the GOP, AND the DNC, as well as the moneyed interests of the US, are heavily invested in a relatively healthy workforce that can move about the nation and international sphere relatively easily. What we're seeing is the erosion of not only a commercial economy but the potential for future able-bodied workforces and interpersonal interactivity.

Anyone who is not Trump wants the CDC to be operating better and things to be recorded, tracked, and reported so that they can better model and project where this is going, and adjust capital to either mitigate loss or to transfer risk to other parts of the economy. Right now, nothing is logical or makes sense because it's being so heinously mismanaged and no one wants to piss off the toddler in the oval office. So yeah, in terms of "there will be no altruism", you're right, but remember that the national management apparatus is set up to meet the needs of industry, so now that there is pressure to normalize or make an attempt to mitigate the impact, you would totally see positive movement in a post-Trump administration.

A great example of the pressures behind this mindset and ideology would be the "philanthropy" of the moneyed types in the late 1800s through Prohibition. They didn't actually strongly believe in curing man's ills, but they definitely wanted a healthier, more sober, and more literate workforce to maximize profit and ensure consistent output. If you're unable to guarantee that your customer and employee base is going to be able to a) come to you b) have money to buy your product or c) be able to show up to make/push your product- that's a huge risk to your business and impacts the larger economy.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 26, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Immanentized posted:

Biden, the GOP, AND the DNC, as well as the moneyed interests of the US, are heavily invested in a relatively healthy workforce that can move about the nation and international sphere relatively easily.

This is 100% fan fiction.

The ONLY number they care about is next quarter. Period.

If they were at all interested in investing in a healthy workforce this would never have happened.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

CainFortea posted:

If they were at all interested in investing in a healthy workforce this would never have happened.

And what do you think is driving the metrics for next quarter? It's not a truly healthy workforce, but one that can be relied on to show up semi-regularly. Remember that when this all went down that there were major industries (excepting meat packing, but they're a special case) that went WFH/ high level employee protections immediately, once the risks were understood to a decent degree. Sure they're not acting altruistically or out of care for the worker as a group, but if you don't have people your earnings are going to suffer. It wasn't a perfect or even adequate amount of protection, but just enough to ensure that business as usual continued.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jesus christ imagine getting owned by Shatner.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Immanentized posted:

And what do you think is driving the metrics for next quarter? It's not a truly healthy workforce, but one that can be relied on to show up semi-regularly. Remember that when this all went down that there were major industries (excepting meat packing, but they're a special case) that went WFH/ high level employee protections immediately, once the risks were understood to a decent degree. Sure they're not acting altruistically or out of care for the worker as a group, but if you don't have people your earnings are going to suffer. It wasn't a perfect or even adequate amount of protection, but just enough to ensure that business as usual continued.

Make them show up to work even if they're sick.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
So the shooter was a (former?) police cadet. Knowing a few of these guys in high school this explains a lot

https://twitter.com/Mercuryal/status/1298568065580503045

This is just hosed up for so many reasons. I wonder if they'll go after whatever friends/family armed him and drove him across state lines to "protect lives and property"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

What a dopey looking dipshit.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This is great, thank you. If anyone else has
any podcasts or books they think would be relevant I'm very into it. I just finished How to Hide an Empire and it blew my mind

Makes sense to me

It Could Happen Here podcast by Robert Evans.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Make them show up to work even if they're sick.

And they do! I'm not fundamentally disagreeing with you, but at some point doing that yields negative returns. I do this sort of risk modelling on top of general security work for a living. It's a definite calculus that is going into manufacturing and logistics employers right now.
The currentconsensus is that the "show up, don't call out" model didn't work Spring-Summer 2020. Everyone's freaking out about Fall-Winter through 2021. A lot of companies are expecting the year to start off worse than March-May 2020 looked and if it means offering an inch of employee wellness, they'll eat that cost to protect some of their margins. After all, there's baked in tax incentives.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh for crying out loud.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Immanentized posted:

And they do! I'm not fundamentally disagreeing with you, but at some point doing that yields negative returns.

Okay, but the point we are disagreeing about is that pretending that the monied give a poo poo about worker health. Because the ONLY thing that matters is the next few weeks. No one who is in any real position of power to do anything about it is freaking out. I'm sure some middle management types are.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CainFortea posted:

To say nothing of the simple fact that capital has been fleeing the US for our entire lives. Our inability to provide basic infrastructure is both an outcome of the process and a signal to speed it up.

The "trade war" you keep hearing about is just the creaking of boats on our sinking tide.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

CainFortea posted:

Okay, but the point we are disagreeing about is that pretending that the monied give a poo poo about worker health. Because the ONLY thing that matters is the next few weeks. No one who is in any real position of power to do anything about it is freaking out. I'm sure some middle management types are.

Yeah it's not the workers, it's the labor resource. The people freaking out are the statistical modelers and mid-term strategists, but Johnny CEO won't acknowledge until Q4 earnings are reported.

Thanks for the clarification, I think we're on the same bitter wavelength now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

Shatner routinely hosts paranormal type bullshit showd so I'd put it on par with getting owned by Ancient Aliens guy, Giorgio Tsoukalos. He's every bit as dumb as the rest of us, and actively making people dumber in some cases.

But the whole space force thing is dumb as gently caress in the first place, so the point is moot anyhow.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1298677363505586176?s=19

Not a good sign when the size of the real lovely part of the hurricane is the size of an entire state.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

^^^lmfao^^^

No, and there’s already a “self defense” narrative going around by purposely splicing video of the incident out of order. Also footage of him walking past the line if cops after the shooting abd the food letting him through.

He’s gonna walk

Not to be a dick, but doesn't the timeline video show that he walked by the cops before the shooting? Or did he walk by cops after the shooting as well?

Also, you gotta love the fact that one of the cops on the PA system from the vehicle farther from the crowd is telling the militia rear end in a top hat to leave, and then the other cop on the PA system in the vehicle closest to the crowd completely overrules the other cop's orders and says "we appreciate that you're out here" and gives them loving water. loving ridiculous.

This video:

There's so much misinformation out there about this already, it's hard to know what actually happened and when.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 26, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Bored As gently caress posted:

Not to be a dick, but doesn't the timeline video show that he walked by the cops before the shooting? Or did he walk by cops after the shooting as well?

Both. He was chatting with the cops before the shooting. And then after the shooting he just scoots on by them to leave and they give zero fucks.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/1298677363505586176?s=19

Not a good sign when the size of the real lovely part of the hurricane is the size of an entire state.

Christ. Be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bored As gently caress posted:

It Could Happen Here podcast by Robert Evans.

I think this is exactly what i was looking for, thank you! If you or anyone has more I'll take it all