Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

DSPaul posted:

At the moment, the alternative seems to be re-electing a literal fascist psychopath who is extremely likely to kill, rape, and/or maim us.

You know, accelerationist arguments always remind me of those conservative editorials about how poor people just need to spend less money. Can’t the ignorant masses see that if they just accept a decade or so of grinding misery, they’ll be able to bootstrap themselves into a better world? Apparently they can’t — so we, the enlightened few, will just have to take the choice away from them. The ones who survive will thank us.

Even if we assume the "us" part there, why should those lives count more than lives of people abroad?

Like, how isn't this just a different spin on the xenophobia of the Trump administration?

Covok posted:

Just that arguing we should let things get worse on the hope it gets much better later is asking a lot of people. Trump will do a lot of harm in office. He already has. Someone rallied by Trump just shot and killed protestors last night. The argument it would be better if Biden lost ignores the reality of all the people hurt in the interim. It's not like we still can't make things better if the world isn't burning down.

It is not at all clear that the campaign that is supported and explicitly celebrates the involvement of Henry Kissinger, Colin Powell, John Negroponte and Bill Kristol is the harm reduction campaign. I am not saying that Trump is the harm reduction campaign either. I just want people to grapple with the level of brutality they think is worth defending.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

that's nice. Joe Biden told you that you shouldn't worry about coronavirus, and that it was safe to go out and vote for him.

not only are you a pawn in a political game of chess, you're a pawn whose player has already written you off.

I don't need to be in person to vote...?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Covok posted:

Maybe because people aren't interested in being pawns in a game of political chess and rather live, even briefly, in a slightly better hell?

Also, this ALL assumes all progressive ideals dead stops if things get better. It's not like good things EVER happened when everything wasn't burning down.

You're still not grappling with the fact that there is no real pressure the left can take to force them to actually move in any significant way if Biden wins. If he wins with this coalition hes winning explicitly by moving the party to the regressive side of politics, courting actual W Bush administration people and their voter base. They don't need progressives support at that point. If you aren't even willing to withhold your vote, which is as far as the election is concerned is your approval, you have no bargaining chip. Biden isnt going to give a poo poo about popular protests or campaigns. Obama didnt, Trump doesnt. And like I said about minorities being targets regardless of who wins, we're all pawns in these monsters political games. They're the ruling class and we are largely held victim to their whims and desires to support the people that line their pockets.

I have more respect for human life than to fight for "a slightly better hell".

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

joepinetree posted:

Even if we assume the "us" part there, why should those lives count more than lives of people abroad?

Like, how isn't this just a different spin on the xenophobia of the Trump administration?

And Trump winning stops the death abroad? That only makes it harder to stop and increases those deaths in the interim.

Durr Kommissar
Jan 25, 2010

Covok posted:

Maybe because people aren't interested in being pawns in a game of political chess and rather live, even briefly, in a slightly better hell?

Also, this ALL assumes all progressive ideals dead stops if things get better. It's not like good things EVER happened when everything wasn't burning down.

Most of those people are tuned the hell out (those ~awful non-voters~) because, as has been mentioned ad nauseum , plenty of the electorate has seen what years/decades of back and forth between both parties has landed them...gently caress all in the grand scheme of things. Incremental change doesn’t cut it anymore (and hasn’t for a while) and it’s infuriating having to keep arguing for something more than loving table scraps when this country (and soon the whole world) is going to be pushed past the point of no return in very short order.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Covok posted:

And Trump winning stops the death abroad? That only makes it harder to stop and increases those deaths in the interim.

Why do you think that all the unrepentant promoters of the biggest mass killings in recent history are with Biden?

Not a rhetorical question. I sincerely want to know how you reconcile your certainty that Biden is the harm reduction candidate with that little bit of information.

Covok
May 27, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're still not grappling with the fact that there is no real pressure the left can take to force them to actually move in any significant way if Biden wins. If he wins with this coalition hes winning explicitly by moving the party to the regressive side of politics, courting actual W Bush administration people and their voter base. They don't need progressives support at that point. If you aren't even willing to withhold your vote, which is as far as the election is concerned is your approval, you have no bargaining chip. Biden isnt going to give a poo poo about popular protests or campaigns. Obama didnt, Trump doesnt.

I have more respect for human life than to fight for "a slightly better hell".

If you respected human life, why would you help someone who will accelerate the carnage in both the short and long term? Trump winning won't slow anything down and will just move the country even further right in the long term.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

While it wouldn't surprise me too much if fully-digital Plague Conventions have less impact than normal ones (although I strongly support the digital option for attendees), I'm not certain that the summarizing around this (single) poll is even entirely accurate - the convention doesn't seem to have swung many people from pro-Biden to pro-Trump or undecided to pro-Trump, but as the article mentions there are less undecideds right now for some weird reason. And other polling seems to suggest that it increased enthusiasm for Biden, which is consistent with my anecdotal experience.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

this is explicitly the Joe Biden policy on what should be done to migrant children, op

if you dance well enough for your supper, we might let some of you out of the camps!

No, it's not. https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-08-17/trump-biden-immigration-policy

he admittedly thinks controls on immigration should still exist, which is a shame

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Covok posted:

Just that arguing we should let things get worse on the hope it gets much better later is asking a lot of people. Trump will do a lot of harm in office. He already has. Someone rallied by Trump just shot and killed protestors last night. The argument it would be better if Biden lost ignores the reality of all the people hurt in the interim. It's not like we still can't make things better if the world isn't burning down.

I mean you're arguing against the memories of protesters shot and killed during obama and biden's administration. The BLM protests aren't explicitly anti-Trump, despite many liberals attempts to co-opt the message. They are occurring mainly against democratic governors and mayors for a reason.

While things feel really terrible for you, these past four years have been mostly more of the same horrors. It's why Biden does not have larger numbers among minority groups than Clinton. We know what he did in office, and it's impossible to trust his lackluster promises now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Covok posted:

The "better" hell isn't actually better, unless you're really excited about that 401k tax credit.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Covok posted:

On this note,

US just had some still ambiguous but definite hostilities with Russian (as in uniformed russian military, not mercenaries) forces in Syria. That's two big escalations in a week.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/26/us-troops-injured-russian-forces-syria-402347

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

DSPaul posted:

At the moment, the alternative seems to be re-electing a literal fascist psychopath who is extremely likely to kill, rape, and/or maim us.

I see, so you'd rather pick the guy who will kill foreigners abroad than back home, understandable. The NIMBYism of American imperialism

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

On this note,

US just had some still ambiguous but definite hostilities with Russian (as in uniformed russian military, not mercenaries) forces in Syria. That's two big escalations in a week.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/26/us-troops-injured-russian-forces-syria-402347

That can't be true, Trump is a Russian asset.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

DSPaul posted:

You know, accelerationist arguments always remind me of those conservative editorials about how poor people just need to spend less money. Can’t the ignorant masses see that if they just accept a decade or so of grinding misery, they’ll be able to bootstrap themselves into a better world? Apparently they can’t — so we, the enlightened few, will just have to take the choice away from them. The ones who survive will thank us.

Trump is more or less indistinguishable policy wise from any other generic republican grandpa. Aesthetically, yes, of course, he's very mean and rude and ugly &c. &c. which is what liberals care about and what they get worked up about. But, as it turns out, Biden is more-or-less indistinguishable policy wise from any other generic republican grandpa and has been for his whole career. The "ignorant masses" and the enlightened masses and all the masses in general except for the top one percent are going be treated to a lot more than just a decade of grinding misery regardless of who is elected. There's no escaping it now, we've been locked in since Bernie suspended.

You want to say Trump is the accelerationist option because oh jeez are you kidding me are you blind he's so crass and awful!! he's a freakin ORANGE CHEETO in the WHITE HOUSE!! Which, fine. I'll argue -- as I have many times before in this thread -- that I could just as easily call the right-wing conservative Dem nominee that will further drag the blue team hard to the right to the extent that in 4-8 years we're left with "fascists" and "fascist but polite" parties the accelerationist option. Maybe you could argue that the acceleration won't be as drastic during the term of Biden's presidency but you're going to have to show your work if you want to argue that post-Biden we're not neatly set up for President Tom Cotton or Elliot Abrams or whatever skulking fascist horror with the actual ideology and competency to carry out everything you think Trump is secretly fomenting but is heroically stopped by Chuck Schumer or whatever.

There's this underlying assumption with everyone here who is mad about people not wanting to vote for Joe Biden that Joe is obviously the better choice. If Joe's entire political career didn't convince you that that idea isn't as clear as you maybe assumed, everything that happened since he became the frontrunner -- and especially the DNC -- should have.

And, again, this is not me advocating voting for Trump. Motherfuck Trump, that poo poo idiot fucker, don't vote for Trump. But don't reward racist, rapist, warmonger, crime bill author Joe Biden or his TOP COP lackey with your vote, either. We're too far gone for it to matter anyway. The way forward is not through the 2020 presidential election.

e:
You could just vote for Howie, you know
VVVV

Pentecoastal Elites fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 26, 2020

DSPaul
Jun 29, 2006

I are an intellekshool.

Terror Sweat posted:

I see, so you'd rather pick the guy who will kill foreigners abroad than back home, understandable. The NIMBYism of American imperialism

I’d rather pick neither. But if I absolutely have to pick one — and according to you, I do — then yes, I’ll pick the one who is less likely to brutally murder my friends and family. If that makes me selfish, then it’s a form of selfishness shared by nearly every human being alive. The Church of the Saints has a very small congregation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Covok posted:

If you respected human life, why would you help someone who will accelerate the carnage in both the short and long term? Trump winning won't slow anything down and will just move the country even further right in the long term.

Biden winning wont stop the carnage in any significant way. Hes was VP for the admin that built and started using the concentration camps, the admin that let White nationalism build here in the states while doing horrible gruesome poo poo overseas. Biden is literally running in moving the left party so far to the right it's the Republicans of 2000. Voting for Biden is also just moving the country to the right and getting more people murdered.

What do you think a Biden administration will do to actually stop people from dying of preventable diseases or being murdered by cops in the street? Do you believe hes going to defund ice? Or will he just go to a slightly nicer to ignore version of destroying immigrants lives like Obama?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

While it wouldn't surprise me too much if fully-digital Plague Conventions have less impact than normal ones (although I strongly support the digital option for attendees), I'm not certain that the summarizing around this (single) poll is even entirely accurate - the convention doesn't seem to have swung many people from pro-Biden to pro-Trump or undecided to pro-Trump, but as the article mentions there are less undecideds right now for some weird reason. And other polling seems to suggest that it increased enthusiasm for Biden, which is consistent with my anecdotal experience.

No, it's not. https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-08-17/trump-biden-immigration-policy

he admittedly thinks controls on immigration should still exist, which is a shame

There are differences between Biden and Trump, but this article vastly exaggerates them:

quote:

Biden would expand protections for immigrants and restore many of the Obama-era policies overturned by Trump. The former vice president would aim to go further than Obama was able to, working with Congress to establish a pathway to citizenship for the roughly 10.5 million people who are in the U.S. illegally.

Since Biden explicitly rejects undoing the filibuster, this is literally meaningless. There is literally no scenario where this gets 60 votes in the senate.

quote:

Biden has said that during his first 100 days in office he would end Trump’s national emergency declaration, which has rerouted billions in federal funds to the border wall, and instead direct resources toward improving security at ports of entry.

But he also opposes dismantling what has been built and his claim isn't one of demilitarizing the border, but instead using "high-tech capacity." In other words, "we're not gonna have a wall, we're gonna get a drone or some motion sensors to dispatch CBP."

That is, it opposes the symbolic aspect of the wall, not the practical.

quote:

The Democrat has sharply criticized Trump’s zero-tolerance policy that separated thousands of families at the border. He’s promised that in his first 100 days he would prioritize family reunifications, reinstate the DACA program and rescind the Trump administration’s travel ban on many Muslim-majority countries.

He also completely dropped the promised moratorium on deportations. Like, people focus on child separation but not on the underlying issue. Child separation exists because current law allows adult immigrants to be held indefinitely but not children. So ending child separation means "we will have really fast deportation procedures."

quote:

Biden’s plan also aims to address the root cause of immigration from Central America.

The largest reduction in poverty in Honduran history happened under Zelaya, who was ousted in a coup supported by Obama. There is no "reducing poverty, insecurity and violence" without accepting left wing candidates. It's not some massive coincidence that all the governments that reduced poverty in Latin America ended up couped by the US.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

joepinetree posted:

Since Biden explicitly rejects undoing the filibuster, this is literally meaningless. There is literally no scenario where this gets 60 votes in the senate.

He's started lightly suggesting he might end the filibuster as of last month. Says he wants to try for bipartisanship first, but it seems even his addled brain is starting to realize that the Republicans are just going to spit on him for four years straight.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Covok posted:

I think that ship has sailed. Also, two terms of Barack Obama gave us the candidacy of Hillary Clinton who ran to the right of Barack Obama in 2008. Handing victories over the Democratic Party does not give them confidence to go left (and if that seems obvious, I'm addressing my past self with these comments too because that's literally how I thought politics worked). At this point, it's all about consolidating power for the donors and that has little to do with the actual outcomes of the election. Again, it's shuffling on the chairs of the Titanic.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A country of several hundred million (?) people, and the best we could manage to run against a tinpot like Trump was Biden: a mediocre, doddering do-nothing whose supporters can barely muster enthusiasm beyond "I guess I'll support him because maybe we'll get some vaguely left-wing change". That in itself shows me how deep the rot has set into this system, and how putting a band aid over it isn't good enough.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

joepinetree posted:

There are differences between Biden and Trump, but this article vastly exaggerates them:

Both schumer and biden have been saying they're fine with getting rid of the filibuster for a while now.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Both schumer and biden have been saying they're fine with getting rid of the filibuster for a while now.

They are not fine with it, they said that they believe republicans will work with them once Trump is gone and that it won't be necessary, but that if Republicans are "obstreperous" that they are willing to "look at it."

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

It's the same as every Biden promise. Lots of hedging and maybes. They'll do it, if they HAVE to, but they probably won't have to because once Trump's gone his magic spell will be broken and bipartisanship shall reign supreme o'er the realm. But if it doesn't turn out like that they'll look into the idea. Maybe.

Meanwhile if the Republicans were to hold the presidency and somehow retake the House the filibuster would be gone in the time it took me to write this post.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Covok posted:

Do you think Joe '100,000 new cops' Biden might have contributed to the environment of police worship that the shooter was raised in or no

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Unoriginal Name posted:

Do you think Joe '100,000 new cops' Biden might have contributed to the environment of police worship that the shooter was raised in or no

Could Trump feasibly get re-elected while the House stays blue and the senate possibly flips? Does the senate flipping require Biden to win?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

joepinetree posted:

No. The issue is this:

Currently, money you put in your traditional IRA or 401k is "tax free," because it will be taxed later. This means that the portion of your income that gets put away is not taxed. So if you make 100k, but 10k out of those 100k is deposited into an 401k, that means that you are paying taxes on 90k of your income even as your income is 100k. But for people with low incomes, their effective federal tax rate is already zero, so they get no deduction from putting money in a 401k. Their income tax liability is 0 either way. The Biden plan makes it so that instead of a tax deduction (which means that it can't go below 0), it becomes a tax credit (so you get money even if your income tax rate is 0).

It is an improvement, but at the same time an improvement that is unlikely to make much of a difference overall. The reason someone making 15k a year isn't putting money away for retirement isn't because it is a suboptimal tax strategy.

Those are untouched, as far as I know.

Just to be pedantic here since I've had to listen to my IRS dad drone on about taxes my entire life, this needs to be a refundable tax credit for you to be able to get cash back. Some tax credits, like EITC, are fully refundable, so even if your total tax liability is $0, they'll still pay you the EITC. Other tax credits, like energy credits, are non-refundable. So if you have say $1000 in non-refundable tax credits and a total tax liability of $500, they'll reduce your liability to $0 but you won't get a check for $500.

Deductions are reductions of your taxable income so you save whatever your marginal rate is. Say you get a $10k deduction, that means you don't pay taxes on the $10k. If your top tax bracket is at say 20%, then you've saved $2k on taxes. Not nearly as good as a $10k dollar-for-dollar credit!

All of this plays into but is not solely determinate of whether you get a refund or owe taxes come April! Taxes are a giant confusing mess in this country. This is intentional thanks to the tax preparer lobby!

But ultimately this is all stuff for people with enough discretionary income to decide how best to save it rather than the increasing number trying to decide what bills to pay this month.

e:

Wicked Them Beats posted:

The 401k stuff is DemPolicy.txt. A lot of fiddling around the edges of policy and making bureaucratic tweaks that maybe have a net benefit overall, but it's confusing, easily miscommunicated, and it's not clear that the people you're seeking to help will actually see any real benefit. Even if they do, it will be a benefit they likely won't understand the full impact of (and that's if they even realize they're receiving a benefit in the first place - Americans aren't known for their deep understanding of their personal tax liability).

yeah this

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
The idea that Biden would have any positive impact on the police violence crisis in America is very bizarre to me, it's based on literally nothing at all. He's openly pro-police and on board with imprisoning people for their political beliefs.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

The idea that Biden would have any positive impact on the police violence crisis in America is very bizarre to me, it's based on literally nothing at all. He's openly pro-police and on board with imprisoning people for their political beliefs.

When he increases police funding the police academy in Kenosha can add "don't shoot unarmed people in the back" and "stop militia members from murdering people, even if the gunman is white" to their curriculum. This is a training issue, clearly.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

brugroffil posted:

Just to be pedantic here since I've had to listen to my IRS dad drone on about taxes my entire life, this needs to be a refundable tax credit for you to be able to get cash back. Some tax credits, like EITC, are fully refundable, so even if your total tax liability is $0, they'll still pay you the EITC. Other tax credits, like energy credits, are non-refundable. So if you have say $1000 in non-refundable tax credits and a total tax liability of $500, they'll reduce your liability to $0 but you won't get a check for $500.

Deductions are reductions of your taxable income so you save whatever your marginal rate is. Say you get a $10k deduction, that means you don't pay taxes on the $10k. If your top tax bracket is at say 20%, then you've saved $2k on taxes. Not nearly as good as a $10k dollar-for-dollar credit!

All of this plays into but is not solely determinate of whether you get a refund or owe taxes come April! Taxes are a giant confusing mess in this country. This is intentional thanks to the tax preparer lobby!

But ultimately this is all stuff for people with enough discretionary income to decide how best to save it rather than the increasing number trying to decide what bills to pay this month.

e:

yeah this

Yes, it is explicitly a refundable tax credit.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

There is a reform bill actually sitting in Limbo that even A FEW House Republicans voted for which Biden would almost definitely sign into Law if the Dems take the Senate.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 26, 2020

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Kraftwerk posted:

Could Trump feasibly get re-elected while the House stays blue and the senate possibly flips? Does the senate flipping require Biden to win?
To your last question: No, I don't think so? Trump wins PA, FL, AZ, and WI, Democrats flip Collins, Tillis, and Gardner seats, and McSally underperforms in AZ giving Democrats that seat. Even losing Jones seat and Pence as VP, I believe that gives Democrats the Senate while letting Trump win.

That's a weird election though.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Three. Three Republicans.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Three. Three Republicans.
I got you. Edited for clarity.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Covok posted:

Exactly this. I understand not liking Biden. But Trump being allowed to serve 4 more years will hurt (or kill) a lot of people directly. The supreme Court would kill woman's right to choose. It's usually people coming from a place of privilege saying they won't vote for Biden "out of principle". Okay, but unless you're in a very solid blue state you might be getting a lot of the people you in theory care about killed or hurt.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

imo things will continue to get worse at an accelerating pace under Biden, but the acceleration rate will be slightly lower

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A country of several hundred million (?) people, and the best we could manage to run against a tinpot like Trump was Biden: a mediocre, doddering do-nothing whose supporters can barely muster enthusiasm beyond "I guess I'll support him because maybe we'll get some vaguely left-wing change". That in itself shows me how deep the rot has set into this system, and how putting a band aid over it isn't good enough.

But Bernie was supposed to turn out the youth.

Look. If we could actually get the teens to care and vote (and 20 somethings) we could easily swing the country to the left. But instead of doing that, a lot of smart people on here prefer the echo chamber of complaining about nothing matter's and Biden being awful. I get it. But there's also been some people in here who've worked on campaigns, and still plan on voting for Biden because it actually makes sense, and they get yelled at. Yet they're the ones actually doing something.

It's why AOC is targeted so much. She's smart and has good policies, but more than that, she's an effective communicator.

And by the way, Bernie's polices are far, far better than Biden's. I'm not complaining about that. I'm saying, the left needs to do a much better job of actually getting the numbers behind them.

it's such a small group of people who actually vote. The trick is getting more of them to vote by explaining policy, not just yelling at everyone.

(this is not a decorum post).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

brugroffil posted:

imo things will continue to get worse at an accelerating pace under Biden, but the acceleration rate will be slightly lower

Some things would get worse. other's would not (Supreme courts for one, getting us out of this pandemic would be another).

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

LionArcher posted:

Look. If we could actually get the teens to care and vote (and 20 somethings) we could easily swing the country to the left. But instead of doing that, a lot of smart people on here prefer the echo chamber of complaining about nothing matter's and Biden being awful. I get it. But there's also been some people in here who've worked on campaigns, and still plan on voting for Biden because it actually makes sense, and they get yelled at. Yet they're the ones actually doing something.

It's why AOC is targeted so much. She's smart and has good policies, but more than that, she's an effective communicator.

And by the way, Bernie's polices are far, far better than Biden's. I'm not complaining about that. I'm saying, the left needs to do a much better job of actually getting the numbers behind them.

it's such a small group of people who actually vote. The trick is getting more of them to vote by explaining policy, not just yelling at everyone.

Explaining policy is meaningless when all the policies that Sanders supported and Biden does not are massively popular within the Democratic party. This is not a question of education or illuminating the issues, it's about manufacturing consent for a democratic party apparatus that doesn't want to implement the policies its base wants them to implement.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

LionArcher posted:

Why don't young people "care and vote"? Could it be that a) their votes are suppressed, and b) they feel that nobody is listening to them, and c) everyone running is a fossil (both candidates are in the mid to high 70s)?

Primary voters overwhelmingly supported M4A, the Green New Deal and legal weed. None of those things got in Biden's platform, so the problem seems to be less with the left and more with a system that boils down to the same face of capital in two different-colored suits: one red, one blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Primary voters overwhelmingly supported M4A, the Green New Deal and legal weed. None of those things got in Biden's platform, so the problem seems to be less with the left and more with a system that boils down to the same face of capital in two different-colored suits: one red, one blue.

A lot of people who voted for Biden thought he supported M4A.