Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My July Model 3 has the "old" frunk, struts and headlights. Not any kind of issue as far as I can tell.

CannonFodder posted:

Powered trunk? What's the case use for that?

The powered trunk came about because a handicapped guy messaged Elon saying he had a model 3 on order but needed a powered trunk to get his wheelchair in. So Elon did it for free. So I assume that convinced Tesla to modify the trunk struts to better allow for the addition of power.

The other thing is that the way the Model 3 trunk is hinged makes it harder for weaker or shorter people to use.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Some people in some countries are more into powered trunks than others.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

CannonFodder posted:

Convenience of not having to open and close the trunk lid yourself. It's on the model Y, S, and X, plus most all other luxury cars. My fiancée's 2004 Lexus had it, and it was quite nice for when your hands were full carrying stuff.

E:

Yuns posted:

The powered trunk came about because a handicapped guy messaged Elon saying he had a model 3 on order but needed a powered trunk to get his wheelchair in. So Elon did it for free. So I assume that convinced Tesla to modify the trunk struts to better allow for the addition of power.
Apparently the wiring for it is basically all there, it's just kind of a pain to do yourself with aftermarket parts. So having it done at the factory would be great.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

A PHEV solves most of the issues regarding the use case of someone who does mostly shorter trips but needs the ability to travel longer distances. Having seen the supercharger lines at the Madonna Inn on a regular weekend, let alone last Thanksgiving where they were so long it made the news, I probably wouldn't be relying upon them during a holiday weekend.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
IMO PHEVs are definitely a better environmental proposition than some people think.

My friend has a VW Passat PHEV, and the battery of that thing is just enough for him to get to work in the winter. He charges at work, and then makes it home. On a regular working week, he never uses any petrol. At the same time, if he needs to do some towing or go on a family trip, he can just do that with no more planning than in a regular ICE car.

Having people driving around with batteries that have ten times the capacity needed for 99% of their driving is incredibly wasteful, and that's without going into the huge problems with battery metals.

Ola posted:

A different angle: Driving EVs are better for the environment than burning fossil fuels. In order to help minimize the impact of your road trip, just how little are you willing to sacrifice?

I mean, considering the enormous damage oil-producing countries and companies do to the world by virtue of not just leaving it in the ground, I'd say this whole thing of trying to shift responsibility to the individual is not cool.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Legislators aren't working to outlaw fossil fuels right now. That should change. That doesn't mean the individual can't contribute by making fossil fuel extraction slightly less profitable by not using it for personal transportation.

It isn't one or the other; you don't get to say "these larger entities are doing nothing, therefore I don't have to do anything either".

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

I have to agree that renting a car last minute (ie anywhere under a week in advance), even in America, land of cheap and plentiful car rentals, is really not a workable solution.

Especially considering that in some areas, many rental agencies have mileage limits - limits which you'll quickly go over if you're doing anything that wouldn't be practical in an entry-level EV.

quote:

However, a few minutes of looking where the charge points are on your route, should you need one, is really all the planning you need to do. My work colleague did a few thousand km's road trip on his Bolt from Quebec down through the eastern seaboard of the US and back, and he didn't need to go out of his way for anything.

Plus Plugshare now lets you filter by power output, which is essential (for anything other than Tesla, at least) for making sure that you'll be able to get back on the road reasonably quickly.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

It's super convenient, I'm not sure there needs to be anything else. I installed the Hansshow kit and it was a royal pain in the rear end but it's really nice having it now. If my hands are full I can just open the trunk entirely through voice using an app too. When you're done push button and walk away. I tried the aftermarket auto-open struts first but then the missus couldn't close the trunk at all, she's pretty short and it required way too much force.

The heat pump would've been super handy as well up here in Canada. Oh well, at least I don't do a lot of distance driving in the winter.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

IMO PHEVs are definitely a better environmental proposition than some people think.

My Volt has worked out perfectly for me.. I only have charging at home (Level 2) But my normal commute is only about 15 miles roundtrip, so the Volt easily covers this year round.

Just last week I put gas in it for the first time since February. 8 gallons lasted 6 months!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

Comfortably within opportunity for most current EVs in environments where there is a certain charging infrastructure, which is bound to be commonplace sooner or later - obviously in EV hotspots like Norway, the Netherlands and California first.

And the comment I initially responded to suggested that renting cars was better than building such infrastructure.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Speleothing posted:

You are vastly underestimating the number of people who like to take a 200 mile trip without having to plan ahead. Won't have a charging station at the big crowded parking lot, and you're already trying to cram the whole trip into a single weekend or a single day so spending a half hour each direction kinda sucks.

So buy a Tesla.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wibla posted:

So buy a Tesla.

Do you get that snarky with everyone who doesn't think exactly like you? Tesla isn't THE answer. It's part of the answer, which works for some people.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

My friend has a VW Passat PHEV, and the battery of that thing is just enough for him to get to work in the winter. He charges at work, and then makes it home. On a regular working week, he never uses any petrol. At the same time, if he needs to do some towing or go on a family trip, he can just do that with no more planning than in a regular ICE car.

Having people driving around with batteries that have ten times the capacity needed for 99% of their driving is incredibly wasteful, and that's without going into the huge problems with battery metals.

I mean, considering the enormous damage oil-producing countries and companies do to the world by virtue of not just leaving it in the ground, I'd say this whole thing of trying to shift responsibility to the individual is not cool.

Not to cause a political argument but batteries are 100% recyclable until the end of time and all the materials can be obtained domestically in a safe manner. I work in the oil industry (exploration/geology side) and the levels of danger for oil production are so understated.

Plus once you burn the gas it's gone forever.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Shamino posted:

I work in the oil industry (exploration/geology side) and the levels of danger for oil production are so understated.

I recall when we did a bit of subcontracting in that field; the safety per hour / incidences for any sort of accident was averaged out over All Staff (i think this included contractors too!) ; people on off shore rigs were in the same total as administrative staff who worked out of fairly standard on-shore offices ; far away from any refineries or other related dangers...

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Speleothing posted:

You are vastly underestimating the number of people who like to take a 200 mile trip without having to plan ahead. Won't have a charging station at the big crowded parking lot, and you're already trying to cram the whole trip into a single weekend or a single day so spending a half hour each direction kinda sucks.

Going from Denver to a ski area and back . Going from Detroit MI to Traverse City MI for a winery tour. Or from Columbus OH to Bardstown KY for the distilleries. Going from Montgomery AL to the gulf coast. Going to Cedar Point or Six Flags. Or going to a concert in another city.

These are all things that you might just suddenly decide to do on Thursday or Friday, so no time to set up a rental for the next day.

I've personally never had a problem renting a car at the last minute, IMO it's not really more convenient to go out of your way to hit a charging station compared to renting a car. The overwhelming majority of EV owners also have a second gas powered car, this figure is higher for Tesla despite its charging infrastructure...

Plus wouldn't this same argument apply to trucks as well? Yet most people get by fine without one.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 25, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

CannonFodder posted:

Are there no tax credits in Australia?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No there isnt. And even if we had say a 10K subsidy, 45K for what you get in a Leaf is still not great - Thats still in with the higher end hatchbacks and performace options. You would have to be basically only buying the Leaf because it's an EV and not because it's better value or does anything better.

There is a discount (higher ceiling) on LCT for EVs which is basically a credit on the sales tax for anything at or above a Model3 price point.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

stirlo posted:

I recall when we did a bit of subcontracting in that field; the safety per hour / incidences for any sort of accident was averaged out over All Staff (i think this included contractors too!) ; people on off shore rigs were in the same total as administrative staff who worked out of fairly standard on-shore offices ; far away from any refineries or other related dangers...

I'm talking about pulling up radioactive water and accidentally drenching the crew, popping a water table on a frack site, plants exploding, plants drenching the entire city of Houston in toxic fumes for two weeks straight, spills, gently caress the list goes on.

We will always need hydrocarbons but it is a dirty dirty business. On the flip side it's one of the last bastions of absolute bleeding edge science and industry.

Also the people on site are generally contractors or sub-contractors so their injuries may not have been reported. Also offshore is apparently one of the safest/nicest places to be now. I've heard some of the rigs are like floating Marriotts.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Gamesguy posted:

I've personally never had a problem renting a car at the last minute, IMO it's not really more convenient to go out of your way to hit a charging station compared to renting a car. The overwhelming majority of EV owners also have a second gas powered car, this figure is higher for Tesla despite its charging infrastructure...

Plus wouldn't this same argument apply to trucks as well? Yet most people get by fine without one.

Most people have no need for a truck, ever, especially something spur of the moment. And if they do it's easier to borrow a friend's truck or ride with them to Home Depot than to rent a truck. I can fit 10-ft boards in my Volt. People who do full sized sheetrock buy trucks, because that's not really a spur of the moment thing.

And also trucks have matched/passed passenger cars in sales in the US.

Edit: V Quite right.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 25, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

Most people have no need for a truck, yet trucks have matched/passed passenger cars in sales in the US.

Fixed, in order to make some point about what people want and need. If people want an EV, they'll get by with an EV.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Shamino posted:

the list goes on.

We will always need hydrocarbons but it is a dirty dirty business.

Absolutely ; we had to remote support the rigs and they sounded Far nicer, and safer to work at than the Refineries. Well. As long as they dont go Deepwater..

The industry has far too much political power in Australia on all sides; i would not be surprised if they even have infiltrated the Green Party or gotten at least some donations.

NORM was a “fun/ strange nickname” til you learned R was for Radiation :( and the pre entry safety exam and videos did not do much to help your anxiety on which way to run if things went bad... scorched earth from an incident in the 90s is still everywhere at one major plant too; i went from being quite the “petrol head” to wanting an EV, or any other type of non oil transit;; the current oil should either stay in the earth or be carefully used for things we cannot synthesise or have renewable / recycled.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Ford should sell this as a special edition, but make sure to add wheelie control like modern supersport bikes
https://twitter.com/jimfarley98/status/1298386056589565960?s=20

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Ford should sell this as a special edition, but make sure to add wheelie control like modern supersport bikes

Nah, just keep the wheelie bar and parachute as it is like in that vid. The car sounds amazing at launch.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

GM finally released images of the Bolt EUV and gen 2 Bolt EV:

Bolt EUV:

Gen 2 Bolt EV:

Some more info here: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/08/first-chevrolet-bolt-ev-and-bolt-euv-teaser-images-released/ again confirming Super Cruise. These are 2022 cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
EUV looks kinda decent in profile. I will be interested to see how it does. Seems like no AWD option eliminates a potential distinguishing feature from the Korean compact SUVs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Westy543 posted:

again confirming Super Cruise.
Is it that bullshit Driving as a Service subscription thing the Cadillacs have?

Profiles look good but let's see em with the lights on.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

No it isn't.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I hate the angry eyes they give all cars today. This world is angry enough, cars don't need to be aggressive too.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

FilthyImp posted:

Profiles look good but let's see em with the lights on.

No it's their auto cruise control+lane keeping thing. It only works on certain roads that GM has mapped out and it uses eye tracking to make sure you're actually still looking at the road.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

RZA Encryption posted:

I hate the angry eyes they give all cars today. This world is angry enough, cars don't need to be aggressive too.

Even the car companies know cars are always trying to kill you.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Humerus posted:

No it's their auto cruise control+lane keeping thing. It only works on certain roads that GM has mapped out and it uses eye tracking to make sure you're actually still looking at the road.

And it requires an On Star subscription to work.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/16/cadillac-super-cruise-onstar-subscription-cost/
https://www.businessinsider.com/cadillac-super-cruise-trial-ends-soon-gm-to-start-charging-subscription-fees-report-2020-8
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/08/always-read-the-fine-print-gm-super-cruise-only-free-for-three-years/

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

What a crock of poo poo, I've been looking into getting a used Bolt (so no supercruise either way) and as I understand it, to do remote preconditioning you also need OnStar? That actually really sucks because any Bolts I could afford would be done with the three year free OnStar. I'd love to have my car already cold when I'm ready to leave the beach or whatever.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Will GM do anything in Europe after they broke up with Opel? Do it themselves, with someone else or nothing?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ola posted:

Will GM do anything in Europe after they broke up with Opel? Do it themselves, with someone else or nothing?

First of all, not a breakup. GM sold its European subsidiary to PSA. Break up implies merger of equals or alliance.You could probably describe the unwinding of DCX as a break up (although pushing it), and you could certainly describe the Nissan-Renault alliance unwinding as a break up if it happens. I'm being fussy because you are making it sound like GME / Opel / Vauxhall had any kind of decision making authority, which they decidedly did not.

GM does not appear to have any plans to re-enter Europe at this time, and I don't think there are any logical partners for them to work with unless other weird stuff happens globally. Maybe Renault if Nissan-Renault collapses, but I think it's very unlikely.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Humerus posted:

What a crock of poo poo, I've been looking into getting a used Bolt (so no supercruise either way) and as I understand it, to do remote preconditioning you also need OnStar? That actually really sucks because any Bolts I could afford would be done with the three year free OnStar. I'd love to have my car already cold when I'm ready to leave the beach or whatever.

When I bought my used Spark EV (and from an independent, non-chevy dealer) I got a free On Star trial. I was bummed when it ended, but it was nice while it lasted. You might get a free trial when it transfers ownership.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I was under the impression that there were still Cadillac dealerships in Europe?

Also, yes, onstar delivering all this poo poo "as a service" has strongly dissuaded me from buying one of their vehicles. I'd be more annoyed if my Volt didn't come with 5 years of free "EV mobile command," which is just remote access.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
My Bolt is still in OnStar demo mode...I leased it in January.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Westy543 posted:

I was under the impression that there were still Cadillac dealerships in Europe?

Aftersales support only due to regulations. They also tend to handle other weird stuff like gray market GM muscle and stuff like that. You can't buy a new Cadillac in Europe.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm not loving these new things auto makers are doing like requiring subscriptions for car features (Kia requires a UVO subscription to use their phone app to access remote access features on your car) and locking built in features behind software and charging to unlock them (Tesla acceleration boost; KTM track and performance modes etc.).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yuns posted:

I'm not loving these new things auto makers are doing like requiring subscriptions for car features (Kia requires a UVO subscription to use their phone app to access remote access features on your car) and locking built in features behind software and charging to unlock them (Tesla acceleration boost; KTM track and performance modes etc.).

The Kia bit is obviously fair enough, as it depends on a mobile network which costs the car maker money per use. Not only the mobile traffic but also running web servers which handle the requests. I haven't heard about a new smart device for a long time, but way back in 2018 or something it was common to sell smart household gadgets without subscriptions, imagining the cloud bills would be paid by new VC capital, new sales or *shuffles papers* "I don't know, let's just see".

"Premium features" like more acceleration is another thing all together, it's mostly them trying stuff out, seeing how it goes. But aren't you better off without it in every case? If they suddenly nerfed it and asked for money, and there was no small print when I bought it, I would be pissed. But super special "track" (i.e. a quiet Sunday road we're doing a vlog on) features that go beyond what you paid for, sure go nuts. Think of the money you save every month, being happy with your safe, milque toast 4-something 0-62 instead of paying extra for a 3.8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Speaking of paid services, it's been 2 months since my Tesla Premium Connectivity expired, and haven't missed it. Since I use my phone as a mobile hotspot, I only lost the satellite view & live traffic indicators. Maybe I'll spring for Premium Connectivity when I go on a road trip, and cancel it after that but it's definitely not necessary.