Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Just watched the first three episodes of LDS and Mariner is just grating on my nerves. She's the Poochy of Star Trek and the fact that she's continually shown to be right/the coolest at every turn kind of bums me out. Show's pretty good otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MachuPikacchu posted:

Just watched the first three episodes of LDS and Mariner is just grating on my nerves. She's the Poochy of Star Trek and the fact that she's continually shown to be right/the coolest at every turn kind of bums me out.

She hasn’t, though. She was wrong at the beginning of episode 2, and it precipitated the whole plot, and she was wrong in episode 3, where she was so focused on being the hero and ended up being shown up by Ransom.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope Ransom isn't just named that because it sounds like Handsome, and he's related to the Captain of the Equinox that Janeway destroyed.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 24, 2020

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Phylodox posted:

She hasn’t, though. She was wrong at the beginning of episode 2, and it precipitated the whole plot, and she was wrong in episode 3, where she was so focused on being the hero and ended up being shown up by Ransom.

Was she really wrong in episode 2 though? The story went out of its way to show that Boimler was overreacting to the entire situation and that Mariner is better at than he is. In the end the main conflict even resolved itself; the general made his way to the peace talks unaided, and no one was bothered by his intoxication. Boimler's only real win was very obviously manufactured by Mariner to placate him, which shows that he's still wrong about everything and Mariner rules.

I don't know, so far the show seems to be setting up a dichotomy between these two characters, only to very clearly pick the side of the least interesting of the two. Even in episode 3, Mariner's thesis statement for the episode ("sometimes you have to break the rules to do the right thing") is validated by Ransom himself, who then proceeds to do exactly what Mariner would have done in the same situation.

I might be reading into this and venting pointlessly, who knows! I think this show is pretty good!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
[img-sarcastic-vulcan-salute.gif]

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Mariner was wrong in episode 2. The difference, and it’s the whole point of the episode, is that Mariner doesn’t just give up when she’s wrong, like Boimler. A lot of people seem to think Mariner doesn’t have flaws because she doesn’t dwell on her mistakes and have a typical “growing and learning” moment, but that’s been her character from the very beginning; try something, no matter what, to see what happens and learn from it. Her flaw is that she thinks she’s the only one capable of doing that.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Right, I’m not trying to imply that it shares all the writing and themes of Family Guy, just that it’s got the makings of a “dumb poo poo happens every week” show with little need to develop the characters beyond caricatures used to play out said dumb stuff.

Which is fine. Not every show has to be introspective and deep. Sometimes you just wanna laugh at people cleaning cum out of a holodeck.

So far I think it's a bit more than this because it seems to have a sincere interest in the mechanics of the workplace, and the funny element is "what if these annoying elements of the modern-day workplace were still around in Star Trek, and caused enormous disasters?"

The second episode was basically the story from George Saunder's Pastoralia, a rule-abiding employee is harangued by his boss to snitch on his laid back-coworker. A large part of the show really seems to focus on their wildly different perspectives on how to see and do your job, and that difference is really the main subject of their interactions. Boimler is caught between his need to do a good job and rise up the ranks and his need to cut loose and be a good pal and believes he's only gotten as far as he has by continually choosing the first. Maybe he's right, and Mariner only gets to do both because she's the boss's kid.

If they keep that up, it'll be a reliable and refreshing source of humor and compelling stories, and add up to something neat and fun, I thiink. Even The Office wasn't really about workplace dynamics but about all the poo poo you do when you're not working.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 24, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Too true. I just don’t have a better comparison to a show right now. It’s more shallow than a lot of the popular sci-fi (at least right now) where we’d have typically had some better character development by now, but it’s not bad by any stretch of the imagination unless the humour just doesn’t sit with you in which case it’s a write off.

That’s how I always saw Family Guy. It’s just a show where dumb things happen and you laugh at fart jokes. This is a show where dumb things happen and I laugh at Star Trek references. It won’t win any creative writing awards but in a dreary 2020 where horrible things have happened literally almost everyday I’m pretty happy to have something mindless that reminds me of TNG and makes me laugh a lot. Maybe it’s just a show for the times.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Maybe it’s just a show for the times.

How very un-Trek-like :thunk:

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

HD DAD posted:

However, there is most definitely a sizable portion of the fan base that for which Trek is sacred and solemn and must be taken as very serious media, because otherwise they have trouble defending being obsessed with a fairly silly sci-fi franchise, and are secretly embarrassed about it.

This actually applies to a lot of nerd franchises.
You hit that nail so hard on the head it punched through the complete vhs collection of all Star Trek series'.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CharlestheHammer posted:

People seem to want character development and character fleshing out but that’s just not what comedies do.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I get it just fine, if you don’t find it funny that’s whatever comedy is subjective but people seem to think it’s going to be Star Trek with jokes. Which...it isn’t.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah those are all examples of shows with faux character development which I hate.
This is a gimmick, right?

Alchenar posted:

LD isn't as technically good as Rick and Morty or Bojack horseman. The writing isn't as tight, the characters aren't as fleshed out, the jokes just aren't as funny. And those were cartoon comedies that were extremely good from the starting gun.
Bojack Horseman's first season was... fine. Better than Lower Decks has been so far, but it's nothing to write home about - until season two.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Going back to the thing about Lower Decks' abbreviation, because "the Good Place didn't have character development, and if it did, I declare that it was fake!" is a silly take...

... I can't see "LDS" and not think "Latter Day Saints." It is seriously messing with me. But, "LOW" is worse, because critics will be all like "Star Trek: L-O-W? ONLY IF THEY'RE DESCRIBING THE SHOW'S HUMOR BROW LEVELS!!!!!!1"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

... I can't see "LDS" and not think "Latter Day Saints." It is seriously messing with me. But, "LOW" is worse, because critics will be all like "Star Trek: L-O-W? ONLY IF THEY'RE DESCRIBING THE SHOW'S HUMOR BROW LEVELS!!!!!!1"

agreed

STLD should just be allowed to break the mold

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

then I petition officially making discovery's into STD, as it fits the show more accurately

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Peachfart posted:

then I petition officially making discovery's into STD, as it fits the show more accurately
I back this definitely not stale, completely new take.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's pretty ok.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I vote we change the name from Lower Decks to Lowers Deck so the abbreviation can be LSD.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's not amazingly funny but I feel like making fun of working time directives is a lot more star trek than whatever the hell discovery/picard are trying to discuss.
I'm sorta sad this one is doing so badly compared to Disco/Picard (who people on the internet love but I've never met anyone who has actually watched them)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DaveKap posted:

I back this definitely not stale, completely new take.

Yeah, you are right, not my best work. Sorry.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Taear posted:

I'm sorta sad this one [Lower Decks] is doing so badly compared to Disco/Picard (who people on the internet love but I've never met anyone who has actually watched them)
A cartoon is a hard sell to adult audiences at the best of times. Subjectively, the stills I've seen/people are posting are ugly as sin.
Plus, as far as I know it's only been released in the US - and virtually nobody cares enough to pirate it. Would you?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Strong Convections posted:

A cartoon is a hard sell to adult audiences at the best of times. Subjectively, the stills I've seen/people are posting are ugly as sin.
Plus, as far as I know it's only been released in the US - and virtually nobody cares enough to pirate it. Would you?

Anecdotally, I've seen just as many torrent seeds for this as for discovery or Picard

I don't understand the hyperbolic complaints about the look either, but you at least present them as subjective

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Small difference but we have it here in Canada. Maybe it's non-NA that it's yet to see the light of day?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Well buddy I am not from the US so.

Discovery and Picard are far easier to watch here as well compared to in the US and while I did see Disco season 2 advertised a bit it really didn't seem to take off.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Taear posted:

I'm sorta sad this one is doing so badly compared to Disco/Picard (who people on the internet love but I've never met anyone who has actually watched them)

Taear posted:

Discovery and Picard are far easier to watch here as well compared to in the US and while I did see Disco season 2 advertised a bit it really didn't seem to take off.
I'm confused - are you saying you're sad Lower Decks did badly compared to Disco/Picard which already did very poorly?

The Bloop posted:

I don't understand the hyperbolic complaints about the look either, but you at least present them as subjective
To me, it looks like South Park and the Power Puff Girls had a baby.

None of the characters are interestingly designed. No longer bound by having to fit an actor into costumes/prostheses they went with: boring looking human, another boring looking human, a boring looking pastel coloured human(oid), and a boring looking human with poo poo stuck on their face.
And such interesting looking animation as: head and torso flatly facing the camera and moving arms and eyes about to convey that they're interacting with the person next to them.

I mean, I'd possibly give at least the first episode a try if it was on Netflix. But given the reviews it's getting and that it already doesn't look like something I'd watch, I'm not going out of my way to get at it. I don't know if I represent a large percentage of possible audience, but just throwing out some ideas why it may not be a runaway success.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I'm also not from the US and only saw the first episode on Youtube when they forgot to region lock it but I don't really care enough to pirate it. I may eventually watch it if it came out to Netflix or some random channel like E4 like season 4 of Rick & Morty.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CBS All Access is doomed no matter what they do with Star Trek.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Honestly? Good. Reconsolidate all these bullshit streaming platforms into one reasonably-priced Netflix.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Will never happen until technology pushes it that way. Much like how everyone hated cable packages but nothing about them changed until it was so easy for people to pirate poo poo that there was no point in signing up for one anymore.

Arglebargle III posted:

All Access isn’t a big success but I don’t see how it’s doomed either. Like Netflix or any of the rest of them, CBS can just lie about how well something is doing until the roof falls in.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The math of All-Access just doesn't add up to me. The Treks seem like their combined budgets would go well beyond possible subscriber revenue. Maybe they make it up with international rights and rentals, but even so it's really difficult to imagine much profitability.

Phylodox posted:

Honestly? Good. Reconsolidate all these bullshit streaming platforms into one reasonably-priced Netflix.

I think the best thing to come out of the streaming wars is that everyone's spending a fuckton of money making their own weird niche content. When it all collapses we'll have a bunch of interesting high-budget stuff that never would've been greenlit in a traditional system consolidated on a couple of major competing platforms.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean it’s on TV as well (at least here in Canada) so All Access isn’t the only revenue stream that could be going to pay for the Treks.

But I mean I definitely don’t disagree. The math of All Access doesn’t seem sound and I guess while they can run it as a loss leader for a while it’ll have to start making some profit at some point vs just selling rights to their library back to Netflix or something. CBS is a 21 billion dollar company so the runway may be long but it’s not infinite.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 26, 2020

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I'm confused - are you saying you're sad Lower Decks did badly compared to Disco/Picard which already did very poorly?

Lower Decks has worse reviews than Disco/Picard but nobody talks about Disco/Picard in the UK at all. I thought that was clear from the context of the posts I was replying to, sorry.
I work for a company that sells netflix and we advertise netflix stuff loads, but Disco is never included in that. Ever.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

Lower Decks has worse reviews than Disco/Picard but nobody talks about Disco/Picard in the UK at all. I thought that was clear from the context of the posts I was replying to, sorry.
I work for a company that sells netflix and we advertise netflix stuff loads, but Disco is never included in that. Ever.

How is it possible that lower decks has worse reviews than the live-action shows. That's incredible to me.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Tighclops posted:

How is it possible that lower decks has worse reviews than the live-action shows. That's incredible to me.

Lot of reviews gushed over seeing Patrick Steward (playing Jean Luc Picard playing Patrick Stewart) again I guess, regardless of how poo poo that series was.

Lower Decks is objectively way better than Picard at least. And better than about 80% of Discovery.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Drone posted:

Lower Decks is objectively way better than Picard at least. And better than about 80% of Discovery.

I know this thread likes to be hyperbolic about how bad NuTrek is or isn’t but uh :wtc:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I put LDS and Disco about on the same level of enjoyment, for apples/oranges reasons.

Picard is just...amateurish fanfic.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

People rate Picard so low out of disappointment. No-one had high hopes for Lower Decks, so a lot of people are at "pleasantly surprised".

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I liked Picard right up until they got to the robot planet, then it kinda fell apart a bit. I probably would have liked those last few episodes a bit more if I’d never played Mass Effect.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Arglebargle III posted:

It now has Champions League/Europa League, but even that probably isn't enough really.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

People rate Picard so low out of disappointment. No-one had high hopes for Lower Decks, so a lot of people are at "pleasantly surprised".
Basically this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not sure if it would be a significant factor in Picard's case, but most TV reviewers only get a handful of early episodes to review. By all accounts Picard is strongest at the beginning of the season, so its critical rating may reflect this.