Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm still shocked at just how hard Activision and MTV Games ran that genre into the ground. Who the gently caress makes an entire entry around The Beatles?

Hey that one was really fun and had the cool trippy backdrops. Probably should've been an expansion though.

This thing though... oof:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Weedle posted:

here's another thing i don't get: if they're so concerned about ui performance why does the eshop suck absolute poo poo?
because it's just a web page opened in the switch's browser.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
There has never been a good Nintendo eshop, they used to have good music though

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm still shocked at just how hard Activision and MTV Games ran that genre into the ground. Who the gently caress makes an entire entry around The Beatles?

Beatles Rock Band is probably the best all around game Harmonix made in the Rock Band franchise. If you want to poo poo on spinoffs that had no reason happening there's always Guitar Hero: Van Halen or Green Day: Rock Band.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

fuser looks like a fun toy and you can probably make some pretty neat mixes but it seems pretty clear there is no real game there and mixes are gonna be restricted to the same 16 bar loops or whatever as dropmix. not that i have any better ideas for making a deeper game out of it. maybe if it was half this, half rhythm game

beatles rock band was basically a masterpiece

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Beatles were technically a Rock Band I guess.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

punk rebel ecks posted:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the beatles game probably sucks rear end if you hate the beatles. i'm not a beatles superfan or anything but i like them okay and i thought the game was delightful

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

punk rebel ecks posted:

The first game would have aged like fine wine if it had an in-game mapper and info letting you know what items you bought from the store did.

That's exactly what the AGES version on Switch does so, along with reducing the exp/money grind.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

punk rebel ecks posted:

The first game would have aged like fine wine if it had an in-game mapper and info letting you know what items you bought from the store did.

Yeah, oddly enough PS1's age makes it go down a little easier, even with the fact that m2 added the automapper and item descriptions notwithstanding. It's a very early JRPG, you sorta know what you're getting into if you decide to play it, and it's by and large not a complicated game even though it sometimes doesn't give you enough direction as to where to go next. PS2 is right on the edge of being a "modern" 16-bit JRPG which makes its deficits feel a lot worse nowadays.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the tragedy of Rock Band et al. is that it all fell to pieces before we got a Queen game

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

stev posted:

I was going to say they did Beat Sabre which is great but lol it wasn't them.

Beat Saber owned, and then they decided to Indie Man it with Green Day and Imagine Dragons.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That direct was poo poo. Nintendo where are the good games? Quit holding out.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Bleck posted:

the tragedy of Rock Band et al. is that it all fell to pieces before we got a Queen game

tbf they did put like 20 queen songs in rock band and it's not like that's a band with a lot of deep cuts to mine

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

So no big holiday stuff for Nintendo yet, huh? Wouldn't surprise me if it all has been pushed into Spring 2021 cause of 'roni anyway.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm a huge fan of the Beatles so that game was just bliss, but aside from that it was actually a pretty quality project. Like a lot of effort when into it, I don't know if they made the same efforts with other games like it, but I was surprised at all the care put into it, when I would've been happy with just songs and nothing else.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Nintendo, you have failed me. I hope you fuckers can sleep at night for dashing my hopes for Mother 3 by never mentioning it besides an off-hand joke at E3 years ago.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Mario sez: Dont go RIPperoni with the Coroni. Wear-a your mask-i.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Codeacious posted:

So no big holiday stuff for Nintendo yet, huh? Wouldn't surprise me if it all has been pushed into Spring 2021 cause of 'roni anyway.
Launch lineup for the Switch 2 is shaping up to be killer.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Weedle posted:

here's another thing i don't get: if they're so concerned about ui performance why does the eshop suck absolute poo poo?

Spitballing here but from a behavioral perspective, it might be good to have your actual game menu be frustration-free, while it might be better to force the user to sit there and have deals display slowly and force the user to look at the selection. I.e., it would be bad if companies paid for ad space for deals and consumers could rapidly scroll past them in a quick UI. Who knows if it's intentional, but I assume if it it's still slow at this point it couldn't be that difficult to fix.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wait what. Ok I know it doesn't really matter since I have 0 people to couch co-op with, but that's just stupid. What's the point? Ugh.

unless you played a lot of co-op crystal chronicles back in the day, this won't make sense.

so, ffcc's co-op gimmick was combining magic with your friends to make more powerful attacks. the thing was, these spells had extremely specific timing windows. for example, to cast Firaga, everyone had to release their spells at 1.33-second intervals, with a 0.15-second margin of error. if you missed this window, you would cast Fira +1 or Fira +2 or whatever. most spells are far more complex than this, and have weird intervals like a 1.45-second release with a 0.07-second margin of error.

i'm not exaggering these numbers at all, and the tempo was VERY specific, but after playing the game with your friends over a few months, your brain would develop the timings reflexively and you would all be able to pull off any spell you wanted with 99% accuracy. this works perfectly when you're playing locally, on wired input with <2ms latency. you know, the way the game was designed, from the ground up, to be played.

now, give the remaster to a studio that makes mobile games, has no experience with real-time action games or accounting for netplay latency, and operates/QAs almost entirely out of japan (which has an excellent internet infrastructure with single-digit ms pings). and THEN, don't overhaul the magic system at all because it tests just fine for years until you start testing outside of the country and realize, oh. gently caress

you can kind of tell this was the direction the remaster was heading because all the videos leading up to release have buried the lede of co-op multiplayer, in favor of leading with "HATS!!! LOOK AT OUR HATS", or my personal favorite, "we're selling $25 dlc that lets you look like the characters from the DS crystal chronicles games that maybe fifty people actually played"

e: the intervals are 1~2s, not <1s. the timing windows, however, are

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 26, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll give Nintendo until next month to announce their own holiday games but if they don’t, then I guess Covid really hosed with them hard.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ll give Nintendo until next month to announce their own holiday games but if they don’t, then I guess Covid really hosed with them hard.

What will you do if they don't meet your deadline? :ohdear:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i will again remind people that the last two nintendo releases have been announced two months before their release date. this is what they're doing now. they're not gonna reveal any holiday games yet if they have any.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the multiplayer for FFCC seems to be completely botched and just ruins the entire idea of journeying together in a caravan. you can only form a party to do a single dungeon and have to disband and then reform the party to do another dungeon. you can't walk around towns together. you can't visit each other's families. you apparently don't even advance from one year to the next together, only the host gets the drop of myrrh from the dungeon that lets them move forward in time while the other players will need to do the dungeon all over again separately to progress.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

stev posted:

What will you do if they don't meet your deadline? :ohdear:

Write off the year as covid really messing with them and hope spring 2021 is better. I can wait with the insane backlog I already have.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think 5th of August to 30th of October can reasonably be considered "less than 2 months". Nice try though.

Ooh a ninja edit. So we agree.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i can't be blamed for forgetting pikmin 3 deluxe's release date!!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Augus posted:

the multiplayer for FFCC seems to be completely botched and just ruins the entire idea of journeying together in a caravan. you can only form a party to do a single dungeon and have to disband and then reform the party to do another dungeon. you can't walk around towns together. you can't visit each other's families. you apparently don't even advance from one year to the next together, only the host gets the drop of myrrh from the dungeon that lets them move forward in time while the other players will need to do the dungeon all over again separately to progress.

but you can wear gurdys hat!! do you know ho w many man hours it took to implement putting gurdys hat on the player!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They just borrowed Souls co-op system

night slime
May 14, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Wasn't Origami King released only two months after reveal...seems like they don't mind small announcement/release windows. Maybe it could be an announcement in October. I kinda think any new game they release this holiday will sell very well even without a huge buildup, because a lot of families hurting from the economy won't be able to swing a new Xbox/PS5 and games.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Augus posted:

Holy poo poo this sounds completely terrible. I knew they had axed local play but :psyduck:.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Augus posted:

this sounds disappointing as a fan of the original but it actually makes a lot of sense for an online mode. requiring intensely long sessions where the whole party stays together is just a bad idea. it's not too dissimilar to how the multiplayer works in the two DS games.

but it really really should have the original multiplayer experience available as local co-op.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nintendo is punting on holiday 2020 because of the PS5 and XSX, but joke's on them because neither of those systems have any games coming out either!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Amppelix posted:

this sounds disappointing as a fan of the original but it actually makes a lot of sense for an online mode. requiring intensely long sessions where the whole party stays together is just a bad idea. it's not too dissimilar to how the multiplayer works in the two DS games.

but it really really should have the original multiplayer experience available as local co-op.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure in the DS games once someone joined your party they could just stick around as long as they wanted, and you could go into town together and everything. And they definitely counted your progress in the game if you weren't the host.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 26, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Amppelix posted:

You have to admit the part where you don't get the reward to progress (only one person does) to the next year is the most hosed up part of this.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

night slime posted:

Spitballing here but from a behavioral perspective, it might be good to have your actual game menu be frustration-free, while it might be better to force the user to sit there and have deals display slowly and force the user to look at the selection. I.e., it would be bad if companies paid for ad space for deals and consumers could rapidly scroll past them in a quick UI. Who knows if it's intentional, but I assume if it it's still slow at this point it couldn't be that difficult to fix.

It’s probably simpler than this. It’s very important that a UI players see every time they use the console is quick and snappy. Users will see the eShop much less frequently, so they don’t care nearly as much about its performance.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

You have to admit the part where you don't get the reward to progress (only one person does) to the next year is the most hosed up part of this.
you're right, and i can't really think of a reason for that. like i suppose it's a bit awkward to fit in a freewheeling join whatever session you like system into a game in which the progression was originally so rigid, but come on. surely you can come up with something.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

apparently they said they couldn't do local co-op because the original game used the GBA screen for menu management. but, like, they could't do picture-in-picture for that or anything? there must've been something they couldve done to streamline menuing so that it can be done on the same screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

You remember that Star Fox racing game that was rumoured two years ago? The one that fans have been all butt frustrated about because there hasn't been any updates on it? It's fake.