Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Exactly this. Chronicles of Narnia being a great example. Not fantasy, but the Sharpe books are nuts when it comes to this. The fifth in production order is the 14th in chronological order.

First book is eight in chronological order, noice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Sniped like 95th snipes a random Spanish collaborator in the eye

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Like if you've already read something and you want to read it chronologically as a gimmick that's fine, but otherwise you should stick to gods own order: by publication.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

if we're broadening the purview of this thread to include good fantasy books, i'd like to call back to

Dear Watson posted:

Lloyd Alexander

the chronicles of prydain were more influenced by welsh mythology than by tolkein, and that made them stand out from the books full of rehashed d&d tropes that filled the bookstores back in the day. also, like ursula leguin, he was actually a good writer so he didn't have to resort to pooping dragons and sexy ogres to sell books.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Prydain was a great early read even if they did gently caress up the ending really bad

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

GBS threads like this are usually more chill in nature and freeform when it comes to content of discussion so I don't see any problem talking about books you love. Sub-forum threads are either too specific/heavily enforced in terms of what can be talked and/or usually infested by crusty goons that might not be the most "chill".

This is a thread about bonding over how dumb the name LAURANLANTASAHA is or how much we enjoyed SJW FEMINIST PROPAGANDA (:goonsay:) that is Earthsea, a book about a guy sitting in a cave through a whole book.

tl;dr Posting in a high quality "trap sprung" thread when the world around us burns to the ground.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

ChubbyChecker posted:

yes, it was that series. grimoire, did it have the name thing or did i misremember?

Just read your original post. Yeah, it did and was a plot point late in the first trilogy

On the subject of brevity, it's one of the things I like about Cook's prose. The novels are written as a logbook for a merc company working for the bad guys - the terse tone matches this

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 26, 2020

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

The earlier knock about Dragonlance being a bad D&D campaign ignores that all the early settings for D&D came from local campaigns. Greyhawk came from Gygax's early campaign, Forgotten Realms came from Ed Greenwood's campaign (though he used it to write stories as a kid before D&D took over when he was a teen), and Mystara/"The Known World" came from Schick and Moldvay's campaign.

Dragonlance is bad because it falls into the same problem people have adapting Tolkien's world into a roleplaying setting: The main story is already told. No one is going to eclipse the heroes that are already there. It is not basing it on someone's campaign that makes it bad. It was just a not very good campaign to base a world on.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

that's why I like to run games where the PCs almost always end up obscure an unknown by the end despite whatever worldshaking thing they did

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Prof. Crocodile posted:

if we're broadening the purview of this thread to include good fantasy books, i'd like to call back to

the chronicles of prydain were more influenced by welsh mythology than by tolkein, and that made them stand out from the books full of rehashed d&d tropes that filled the bookstores back in the day. also, like ursula leguin, he was actually a good writer so he didn't have to resort to pooping dragons and sexy ogres to sell books.

I read these books! Well the first one. It was fuckign awesome!

e: I was so disappointed with the Disney movie Black Cauldron.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Xenocides posted:

The earlier knock about Dragonlance being a bad D&D campaign ignores that all the early settings for D&D came from local campaigns. Greyhawk came from Gygax's early campaign, Forgotten Realms came from Ed Greenwood's campaign (though he used it to write stories as a kid before D&D took over when he was a teen), and Mystara/"The Known World" came from Schick and Moldvay's campaign.

Dragonlance is bad because it falls into the same problem people have adapting Tolkien's world into a roleplaying setting: The main story is already told. No one is going to eclipse the heroes that are already there. It is not basing it on someone's campaign that makes it bad. It was just a not very good campaign to base a world on.

That is my problem with many bad (and good) books, the main story is usually so big that I can't immerse myself into the world as a whole.

Dragonlance is the story of that group and there is not much besides props to their adventures.

LoTR is kinda same as in the Fellowship experiences the best and biggest adventure out there (well, that is the point in this case. Tolkiens longing to an old and long gone ideal of the world).

I love The Hobbit more because I can see myself being in there, you know.

Forgotten Realms is big enough to not dominated by a single adventure. I think the Bhaalspawn Saga is not canon but even then it's a random rear end in a top hat punching dragons and demons which happens every Tuesday.

It's a personal preference, of course, but what I liked about GURRM books were the collosal levels of nerd wank goes into detailing the houses, random rear end knight , some wildling etc.

That's why I might give Wheel of Time another go after like 17 years.

Btw, nerds getting mad about Brandon Sandersons sections in the last book and majority of those turning up to be written by Jordan will never not be :discourse:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

hah, though shartes and the same guy's viking books are entertaining trash, they're even more formulaic than wheels of times or d&d paperbacks

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Galewolf posted:

Btw, nerds getting mad about Brandon Sandersons sections in the last book and majority of those turning up to be written by Jordan will never not be :discourse:

Speaking of Sanderson, his original works are nothing special on their own, but the cosmere as a whole is amazing in scope. Shame the dude's Unshakeable Mormon Hangups are really holding him back though.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Galewolf posted:

This might be a "trap sprung!" post but I legit had tears when it happened in the books. I know I would groan like the jaded boomer I am today if I get to read them again but for 18 year old me, I was there bro.

I remember thinking that if the knights let him keep wearing his good family armor instead of having to wear the leather armor (i am 90% sure that was a thing) he might have made it.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Galewolf posted:

SJW FEMINIST PROPAGANDA (:goonsay:) that is Earthsea, a book about a guy sitting in a cave through a whole book. .

Is this really a stance people take on Earthsea? I reread the series over the lockdown, just the final book to go, and I can't see the association for anything other than the fact the author is a woman.

I mean, this series makes all female magic users sneaky ignorant witches or the occasional evil sorceresses. Magic school is a literal boys club. Pretty sure the second to last book makes it clear that magic requires you to be a male virgin no less .

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Xenocides posted:

I don't think that's exactly it. It's more about the worlds themselves.

We only got glimpses of Greyhawk as it was played, but those short bits were baked into the rules. The 8 schools of magic, the names of certain spells (after Bigby, Mordenkainen) the names of artifact (the Eye and Hand of Vecna, which is an anagram for Vance, which I'll get back to).

The TSR Greyhawk boxed set was (again) just this tepid, limp thing, but it was made after Gygax was forced out, so it doesn't really count. The Greyhawk and Blackmoor adventures had some interesting stuff, but we never got to see the whole world, really. It was easier to take those bits and run.

The Forgotten Realms had more worldbuilding (just in a sandbox sense) than Middle Earth, even only considering what Greenwood had written prior to selling the setting to TSR, let alone the poo poo written afterwards. (Greenwood is also apparently a sex pest, to continue the theme.)

I don't think it's that the main story is told; I think it's that there's no room left for any other stories (except the jillion that apparently were published). The major PCs become adventure NPCs, but they're fixed in time. There's nowhere else in the world. There is, but I can't call up any details about it. It's just faceless.

It's a Tolkien redux, but JRR never intended to sell adventure modules.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CheeseThief posted:

Is this really a stance people take on Earthsea? I reread the series over the lockdown, just the final book to go, and I can't see the association for anything other than the fact the author is a woman.

I mean, this series makes all female magic users sneaky ignorant witches or the occasional evil sorceresses. Magic school is a literal boys club. Pretty sure the second to last book makes it clear that magic requires you to be a male virgin no less .

the first 3 books were a very traditional male centric fantasy bildungsroman, where the protagonist grows to be a man and saves a hot broad, except that the good guys and bad guys skin colors were changed. iirc from tehanu onwards they turned into more feministic works

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

CheeseThief posted:

She went back to the first 3 books while writing Tehanu because she confessed that those were male centric books, with some "reaching womanhood" themes in Tombs of Atuan but that was my take from her interviews that Tehanu onwards recieved some grunting for being what it is.

E;fb.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Just a random Earthsea bit:

The Karg royal twins rescue him when he was stranded and giving him the first half of the Erreth-Akbes ring was one of the most melanchonic pieces of fiction I've read.

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 26, 2020

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Has anyone read the Coldfire Trilogy? It wasn't amazing, but it did have some things I did like. The planet the series takes place* in has some quirk where a person's mental state/thoughts affect the outcome of things, so things like firearms are super risky to use because even thinking about the possibility of a misfire can make one happen. In one of the books, the main character comes across a group of people so indoctrinated by a church to believe that their god protects them, that they can fire guns because they have absolute faith that nothing wrong will happen.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 26, 2020

Jespass
Oct 17, 2012

Comstar posted:

No one's mentioned The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant?

I read it because it was a HUGE THICK FANTASY TRILOGY and then the next 3 books because I wanted to see if anything would actually happen. I should never have started that quest.

3 books that takes to recover from, and it goes on and on and on. He takes 1000 pages to start not getting ANYONE ELSE to take some responsibility and then the next 3 books is trying to get someone else who dosn't believe where they are to experience the same plot.

After beating the bad guy, the 2nd series is all how after 50 generations of good times, the bad guy comes back and destroys the environment without anyone doing anything to stop it and activity helping. Dammit, he wrote about global warming a decade before I found out about it. And he was right. . Still got bad memories of all the time I spent reading it.

You left out the part where his rape daughter falls in love with him and then goes crazy.

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

sweet geek swag posted:

To explain, this series is about a man who lives in the modern day who has leprosy and is constantly tormented by people in his localcommunity. He wakes up one day in a fantasy realm where he is proclaimed to be the chosen one who will defeat Lord Foul, the bad guy from this fantasy realm. Dude decides that "This must be a dream," so he rapes the girl who found him as pretty much his first act.

I'm like 99% sure I read this in early middle school from the school library where there was also a Gor-themed CYOA book for children's perusal. I still wonder from time to time if librarians knew about the content when they ordered the books.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

CheeseThief posted:

Without spoiling too much, the later stories she wrote suggest that many of the rules of Earthsea are more human invention than natural law.

She was much older when she wrote the later books (and the awesome short stories) and you can see her taking a more critical eye to the world she established early on.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Ceramic Shot posted:

I'm like 99% sure I read this in early middle school from the school library where there was also a Gor-themed CYOA book for children's perusal. I still wonder from time to time if librarians knew about the content when they ordered the books.

we had nothing that extreme, but we definitely had a pile of forgotten realms stuff in my catholic elementary school in the (late) 80s somehow. it sent me a lot of mixed messages

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
What is the consensus on Robert E Howard? I mean on the subject of publication order not matching chronological order.

(Dude was possibly more racist than Lovecraft, but it came through differently in his writing.)

Also, i remember liking Robert Asprin as a kid, but it has been a loooong time. Maybe I should reread and see if it holds up. They're short.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I couldn't stand Dragonlance, but I read a little Forgotten Realms. The Harpers series, particularly. Each was a self-contained reskin of The Hobbit.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Grimoire posted:

Speaking of Sanderson, his original works are nothing special on their own, but the cosmere as a whole is amazing in scope. Shame the dude's Unshakeable Mormon Hangups are really holding him back though.

Sanderson is alright, but I'm getting really confused by people acting like he's The Most Important Fantasy Author Of The Modern Era, on account of his revolutionary, trailblazing idea of Hard Fantasy.

It's good to have consistent rules to your magic, but a lot of his action scenes are just incredibly dull. It turns into a series of supertechnical Uses Of Power about as exciting as reading a combat log in a videogame. He did this, but the other character did this, and so he responded with a [Power] used on the wall behind him and this happened, and so... He also breaks his own Rules, for all that people make a big deal of them. Sooner or later, super-gods who don't follow the established rules show up, and the heroes will discover a new powers, and things get solved by a brand new solution that conveniently appeared just in time to solve the big problem.

His Hard Magic also tends to read like superhero superpowers more than anything else. That's not a coincidence, either. He did write a love-letter-to-superheroes type of YA series. The powers were handled the same exact way, and it felt way more natural in a world full of skintight spandex.

Mind, you really have to respect just how incredibly prolific he is. He's just constantly writing new books, new stand-alones, and new settings.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

VideoTapir posted:

Also, i remember liking Robert Asprin as a kid, but it has been a loooong time. Maybe I should reread and see if it holds up. They're short.

are your two favorite things in all the world "constant unending puns even a dad would think twice about" and "casual misogyny"? then go for it!!

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

VideoTapir posted:

What is the consensus on Robert E Howard? I mean on the subject of publication order not matching chronological order.

(Dude was possibly more racist than Lovecraft, but it came through differently in his writing.)

I've been reading A Means to Freedom, the two volumes of correspondence between Lovecraft and Howard, and personally I think Lovecraft barely edges out Howard on that front since the former's letters endorse the KKK a few times and advocate murderous vigilantism based on skin color a bit more often. It's fortunate that neither of them were in positions of power to materially aid that kind of stuff.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

I used to work at a library so I read a lot of really nerdy poo poo inline with this. and I heard a lot of gushing about this series from similar idiots as myself.

I was so grossed out by the first book that I just stopped, although I skimmed a couple from work out of conclusion curiosity. I feel worse for ever having read any of it, that's how bad and weird it is (I guess that's an endorsement of sorts.) but the whole thing has a tone of just abject dirtiness to it. not even in an abject way like the Gor (I guess, heard about it) or the Xanth books (which I read too many of.)

The Breakfast Sampler fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 27, 2020

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

I know this post is from a couple days ago, but this is the edition of The Hobbit that my dad read to me when I was little, and he put masking tape over the illustration on the cover because he didn't want to taint my imagination. I peeled it off when we were done and man was he correct.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

i also know this post is from a couple of days ago but i would like to point out that this is clearly an illustration of the two guys who used to hang out with ernest p. worrell.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Imagine fawning over late Le Guin's work when she's the epitome of a white lady really into the Mysterious Orient :allears:

I kid, I kid, she's awesome.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
I wont abide by people dissing Le Guin

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bismuth posted:

I wont abide by people dissing Le Guin

Literally how this derail got started

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Imagine a perfect shitposting forum where everyone is happy posting and reading bad takes all day long and there is no hardship or cringe drama of any kind, but this forum has one tiny thread where one poster has to put up with people making GBS threads on Ursula Le Guin.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

VideoTapir posted:

Imagine a perfect shitposting forum where everyone is happy posting and reading bad takes all day long and there is no hardship or cringe drama of any kind, but this forum has one tiny thread where one poster has to put up with people making GBS threads on Ursula Le Guin.

That poster is the chosen one

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Jokes on you because I never read any other book than Earthsea from her, check-mate atheists :smuggo:

I also only read Darktower from SK.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Its such a good thing none of these are popular enough to have as much fan art as modern stuff does. Can you imagine like, hazbin hotel level fanart but for Gor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

This is getting a little SF (no actual magic apart from shot that would befiddly as all hell miraculously working on the first try), bit haveany of you read Leo Frankowski's Conrad Stargard novels,

It's alternate history/time travel in which a 20th century engineer is transported to 13th century poland a few years before the mongols arrived. The first thing he does is gently caress children, and this is a thing that keeps coming up. I finally noped out near the end when there was a tribe of Indigenous people in the Amazon who were described as childlike and who all wanted to gently caress the protagonist.

The author was a piece of work extreme MRA type whose house may have been worse than Groverhaus. He married a Russian lady, moved to Russia, and creeped on her daughter in his blog. He died not much later. Coincidence?

I noped out at the harem of virgin 13 year old girls waiting to be impregnated in addition to the main character's ridiculous harem.

If you're looking for medieval uplift Tales of Anyar is far less cringy but has less of an engineering focus.