Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So much for Smart Delivery.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1298700725657059328?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This isn't confusing at all.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
XBOX ONE
GAME PLAYABLE
ON X SERIES

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
you could not make it more confusing if you tried

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Stux posted:

you could not make it more confusing if you tried

WiiU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Hope Microsoft steps in here, they're clearly taking advantage of a loophole. The 1080p projectors of gaming

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You could release another console sku and repackage the box to reflect it i guess

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

wiiu boxes were clearly not wii boxes tho lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not even close.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So many grandmas are going to buy the wrong version for their grandson this holiday season.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
XBOX ONE. XBOX SERIES X.
XBOX ONE GAME PLAYABLE ON X SERIES.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think grandmas have bought physical video games in like 15 years dude. It's stupid and confusing and dumb but I don't think that's gonna be an issue. Timmy emails you the Amazon link and you click on it and click Buy.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
*writing down on a piece of paper and handing it to my grandparents telling them what I want for Christmas* lmfao

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I want someone to actually justify how that is acceptable, like executives from Activision and MS/Xbox to explain how some kid's parent this year standing in Walmart is supposed to figure out which one they are meant to buy. What a clusterfuck. They should both be ashamed, Activision for not doing smart delivery, and MS for having that ridiculously similar and confusing box design.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
agreed, no one will be confused by two basically identical boxes that you can only identify between if you have detailed knowledge of microsofts hardware, there will be zero issues from this thing that seems like a joke someone made up to satirize xbox console naming.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

*writing down on a piece of paper and handing it to my grandparents telling them what I want for Christmas* lmfao

As the parent of a five year-old, I'm not sure if you realize what a self-own this is.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sounds like your five year-old needs to get with the times.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Sounds like your five year-old needs to get with the times.

At least grandma will get him the right version of Call of Duty.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

univbee posted:

At least grandma will get him the right version of Call of Duty.

Sony wins again!!!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Incidentally this whole clusterfuck is because Activision wants to charge $70 for PS5/SX version. Welcome to the new normal, we probably won't see anymore $60 games on the new consoles by March.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

What even is the plan here, making people buy the $60 version by mistake and having to return it? It's not cloud streaming, people playing with a lower resolution on the devices they bought does not save Activision money

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ruffian Price posted:

What even is the plan here, making people buy the $60 version by mistake and having to return it? It's not cloud streaming, people playing with a lower resolution on the devices they bought does not save Activision money

Making $70 the new normal for game prices.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

So they're fine with losing money on people who mistakenly buy the X1 version for XSX as long as it sets a precedent? You'd think having separate versions without a free upgrade would be enough without making them intentionally hard to distinguish

or is it so they are perceived as a "regular" and "gold" version? Can't believe I'm saying this but Control handled that better

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Activision could definitely be playing the long game here, and just wanting to establish $70 as a new normal no matter what.

So here's a breakdown of versions:

PS4 Physical Version ($60): Runs on PS4; Runs on PS5 via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native PS5 version through PSN
PS4 Digital Version ($60): Runs on PS4; Runs on PS5 via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Offers a paid ($10) upgrade to the native PS5 version through PSN
PS5 Physical Version ($70): Runs on PS5; Doesn't run on PS4
PS5 Digital Version ($70): Runs on PS5; Also includes PS4 version

XB1 Physical Version ($60): Runs on XB1, Runs on XBSX via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); Doesn't offer a paid ($10) upgrade
XB1 Digital Version ($60): Runs on XB1, Runs on XBSX via BC (no visual/performance upgrades); upgrade path through the MS store isnt known yet.
XBSX Physical Version ($70): Runs on XBSX; Also includes XB1 version
XBSX Digital Version ($70): Runs on XBSX; Also includes XB1 version

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Last gen's cross gen period also had a ton of 10 dollar upgrade games didnt it?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Last gen's cross gen period also had a ton of 10 dollar upgrade games didnt it?

If we only count AAA $60 games, it had four (CoD Ghosts, AC4 Black Flag, Battlefield 4, Watch_Dogs), and then two a year later where it was a free upgrade if you bought the last gen version digitally (Destiny and CoD: AW). Those games included a code for their PS3 package versions that gave you the ability to buy the digital version on PS4 for $10. I think you could also do a store exchange (and I think this was your only option on Xbox). If you bought the next gen version only (disc or digital) then you just paid $60.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ruffian Price posted:

Can't believe I'm saying this but Control handled that better

Uh absolutely not.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

univbee posted:

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

How many people are going to buy the last-gen version of the game for their next-gen consoles, and then not even notice and continue to just play it in backwards-compatibility mode.

I'm guessing at least a million copies.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

COD and activision should gently caress off and die

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CoD games are pretty good tbh

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Glad that extra $10 per unit will go to the devs who have to skip meals to survive

oh, it's not going to them, and instead will line the CEO's pockets? huh

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hey, at least it'll lead to less microtransactions!

Narrator: It did not lead to less microtransactions.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Paying $70 for the privilege of having an in-game vendor berate you for not buying CoD points.

Gotta love it.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

That black bar in the corner is 100% going to be updated to add “Series S” before the game releases lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

AdmiralViscen posted:

That black bar in the corner is 100% going to be updated to add “Series S” before the game releases lol

The Series S is likely to be a discless console so for physical copies its omission will still apply.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

univbee posted:

This is some serious peak MS marketing right here

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
343's being reorganised, with Joseph Staten back in charge of Halo. Kind of wild, that game must be a real mess.

Bloomberg link explaining the move.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean you saw that gameplay trailer, right? Because that looked rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It did, but given what else has been reported about it being an absolute disaster behind the scenes and 343's track record, the issues seem less 'this game is being held back by current gen tech' and more 'this developer is hosed from toe to tip'.

I imagine that game's not coming out until the end of next year, at the very least.

It's also worth nothing that Staten wasn't a gameplay director, he was a cinematics and narrative director and writer, which is an area of the game that hasn't really had much spoken about it, either with issues or not, so not a great sign there either.