Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Weedle posted:

they're like the extremely old/rugged country dwellers who grew up using an outhouse so the modern toilet is too alien to be comforting

I sort of get that when you have learned like 100x different keyboard shortcuts of an advanced tool you don't have to relearn them in something else. But then I also look at VIM and want to vomit my bowels out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I get it, you want to hire someone, but 3 copies of the same email in 10 minutes is not helping my image of you or your company...

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Weedle posted:

they're like the extremely old/rugged country dwellers who grew up using an outhouse so the modern toilet is too alien to be comforting

Get the gently caress off my lawn

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

kensei posted:

I get it, you want to hire someone, but 3 copies of the same email in 10 minutes is not helping my image of you or your company...

They didn't already text you as well?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sickening posted:

They didn't already text you as well?

No, but I did get another email from him about the same job :saddowns:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

kensei posted:

No, but I did get another email from him about the same job :saddowns:

At least you're not getting recruiters trying to hire you for the job you already have? :v:

The best was when I got promoted out of help desk, and for the following year would get regular emails from recruiting asking me if I wanted this amazing job opportunity back on the help desk.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

vi is so ingrained in my muscle memory I can't use anything else in a cli environment.

But I've also been using/managing *nix for more than 20 years.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

AlexDeGruven posted:

vi is so ingrained in my muscle memory I can't use anything else in a cli environment.

But I've also been using/managing *nix for more than 20 years.

Yeah, this is pretty much it for me. I've been a linux admin (with a smattering of Solaris and AIX) since 1997 basically.

Again, get off my lawn.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Oh, to be that young.

In teaching Puppet stuff to other members of my org, I have shown them how to do things in VS Code, which has nice Puppet integrations, but I find that I'm just more fluent with vim, and also that things seem to go a lot faster without the VS Code layer between me, my files, and git.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've been using pico/nano since 1994, I never had the occasion to use vi/vim except in locked-down situations where that was all that was available :buddy:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I've been using pico/nano since 1994, I never had the occasion to use vi/vim except in locked-down situations where that was all that was available :buddy:

My primary platform is AIX, and the default line edit mode for ksh is vi, so it just stuck.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Data Graham posted:

i much prefer nano, and only learned to use vi because I had to in order to manage an old HP-UX box, i loving hate vi because the shortcuts are different from what I know from nano, so I trip over myself trying to remember how to escape from text input and save my file.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

At least you're not getting recruiters trying to hire you for the job you already have? :v:
I've had recruiters contact me about a position that I was the interviewer for. I didn't quite know how to respond... like, I guess I would hire me, but then who would do my job? I would happily do both jobs, but I don't think that the company would be happy about double-billing and paying me twice. although I was salaried, and the position was contract, so I might have gotten away with it until my boss noticed the names were the same.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

My favorite Recruiter Experience is jobs in LA when I live north of SF. It's always, invariably, from some company I've never provided my information to, with the recruiter asking for my most recent MS WORD copy of resume, and also am I a US citizen? Please revert if interested.

Extra points for stuff that's not even related to my experience or education.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I get so many recruiter spam emails for jobs in NYC when I'm in CO. Yes, I would love to move 2000 miles to one of the most expensive cities in the country for a 3-month contract.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I get so many recruiter spam emails for jobs in NYC when I'm in CO. Yes, I would love to move 2000 miles to one of the most expensive cities in the country for a 3-month contract.

My favorite recently was someone offering me a sales engineer (what) position in Butte, Montana (WHAT), with the added bonus of, "You'll get to be on the road 6 months out of the year, and there's commissions!" The base salary is not just less than I make now, but would be an unfavorable pay cut when adjusted for the cost of living in that part of MT (and that's not even getting into the hilarity of voluntarily moving back to Butte). Plus BTM is such a poo poo-tier airport that it shuts down at night, so lol at traveling extensively with that as a homebase.

You couldn't put together a more perfect set of anti-requirements for me if you tried.

This wasn't even a recruiting form letter, this was someone who specifically wrote to me directly as if they imagined, "I know exactly what this person's dream job is, and I'm about to offer it to them. :smug:" I have to wonder if we have a friend in common who put them up to it as a joke.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I got one offer for a RHEL engineer in Honolulu Hawaii for 90 days, I live in Washington DC, telecommute not allowed. I didn't read any further than that because lmao at getting a RHEL engineer to uproot for 90 days for less than a 6 figure consultation fee, because at that point when you're talking a 90 day contract length it's because you've somehow hosed something up and need an engineer to help fix it, and you're going to pay what the engineer wants you to pay.

I am not a RHEL engineer either, I don't know how they got the idea that I might be.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I use vi because I'm too lazy to learn vim

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My nicest recruiter story is that one agency I worked with for one position for three months about four years ago still sends me happy birthday emails. :unsmith:

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

My nicest recruiter story is that one agency I worked with for one position for three months about four years ago still sends me happy birthday emails. :unsmith:

Dear $firstname$,

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
:%s/vim/yeah this makes sense/g

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I use the vim plugin for shortcuts and controls when I use pycharm.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't actually like vim enough to figure out the disaster of vim plugin managers to make it a proper IDE even though I should.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

No you shouldn’t

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Please tell me there's a plugin or offshoot of Vim called Vigor.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Kurieg posted:

It’s the plugin that added Clippy to vim

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Methanar posted:

I don't actually like vim enough to figure out the disaster of vim plugin managers to make it a proper IDE even though I should.

There's no easy way to make Vim into a proper IDE. It's way easier to just add a Vim plugin to any other IDE editor, tbh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kurieg posted:

Vigor the Copy-Pathian.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I work in a secure environment... One of the risk mitigations to our desktops is essentially 'we are in a secure environment, aint no way someone is going to steal the device'

There are a handful of desktops located in a building outside the secure perimeter - we encrypt them AND Kensington lock them to the desk to mitigate the risk of theft.

It's mad but whatever, every time I order a laptop, they send me a lock so I have plenty anyway, I stopped caring.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The Sanders van Vugt RHCSA/RHCE book recommends knowing at least the basics of vi/vim because it's the only thing that's guaranteed to be included on every single distribution out there. That sounded reasonable to me, and frankly if you just need nano/pico level functionality it's only like 3-4 things you have to know. I find a few other things handy as well, like quick line deletion. vim also includes syntax highlighting out of the box, which is nice. By all means, use whatever you like, but IMO knowing how to get around in vim is useful. I would have concerns about a regular Linux user who couldn't use it at all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Back at the ad agency, my boss took his sweet loving time over a directive to get locks for all the laptops. So when he finally put the order in with Kensington there apparently "wasn't enough time" to get a batch made with a master lock, so that just added several dozen more pairs of keys to the completely disordered collection I had inherited. For years I was able to kill a slow afternoon by trying to pair up the remaining odd keys with their locks and/or matching key.

It's really amazing how much a completely rear end in a top hat can be made worse when they're also really loving stupid.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Merijn posted:

There's no easy way to make Vim into a proper IDE. It's way easier to just add a Vim plugin to any other IDE editor, tbh.

yeah, there's a few languages where people did the effort to make vim a full ide, but you need to load a ton of plugins for it to work well, so just use your favourite IDE with vim plugin instead. i've used a couple ides over the last decade and i don't remember any that didn't just ship with a "vim mode" tbh, now that i think about it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The 3 month contract thing blows me away. I don't even have a favorite parking spot yet at 3 months.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Super Nintendo 64 posted:

Dear $firstname$,

IT'S STILL NICE.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

my cat is norris posted:

IT'S STILL NICE.

Post your email so I can script a business relationship with you

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Person who doesn't know what words mean posted:

What do I do when a login screen appears

Person asked to try a different VGA cable posted:

My husband is a tech guy. Let me ask him what we should do before deciding anything

Person asked if they want a wired or wireless mouse posted:

I don't know what that means. How could you expect me to answer that? Are you trying to insult me?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Those sound like they came from a usenet post in 1996

Nothing ever changes, does it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I am receiving so much joy from the ongoing larches saga

Not schadenfreude. Just that I continue to get updates

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh my god. the husbands who are tech guys. we had a tech guy husband set up our entire kindergarten faculty, unbeknownst to us, with an enterprise dropbox plan that they were all splitting the cost of out of their own pocket. we have enterprise o365 and we've been telling them about onedrive for like five loving years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I informed the school before I left that there were a few accounts that had 2FA set up that I could not transfer ownership for until there was another TC set up and ready to take on the responsibility (Apple education is a huge pile of poo poo). There always has to be an owner and you can't transfer ownership to service accounts or an empty chair. I honestly can't remember my logic behind it now. I was just ready to gtfo and I thought of exactly no alternative solutions. Whatever.

Point being, they were told that when they finally hired someone, to have them call me so we could work out account ownership transfer.

For a month now, I just get 2FA alerts for these accounts sent to me in short bursts every couple of days. No one ever calls. I just get the the notifications.

I wonder if he knows to call me. I wonder if he's just silently freaking out that he can't get access to these accounts.

How is he this incompetent?

Eeeehhhhhhhhhhh uhhh oh ehhh mmmm