Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

i love tubbs's summer belly

the little zig zag hairline omg :3:

that's the cow spot/tiger stripe dividing line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

Happy Saint Guinefort’s Day!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Guinefort

In honor of this very good and brave saintly longboye, please give your own long doggo bountiful offerings of snacks, pets, toys, and songs with the words changed to be about them.

Every day is St Guinefort's day here apparently

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

got a cake "bone" and dog frozen yogurt in preparation for Abby's ninth adoption anniversary tomorrow, glad I'm prepared

they only had the "bones" that said happy birthday I hope she doesn't notice

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the festivities may have started a bit early. she was VERY UPSET about me dremel-ing a few of her nails.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

abby :unsmith:

how's she doing these days

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

abby :unsmith:

how's she doing these days

well, thankfully some of her nails have just been staying short due to friction with the ground - I never have to dremel the middle two on the back legs

her weight is up a little, but I'm waiting to hear back from the vet as she only went from 60.4 to 61.1 pounds over the last few months.

overall she's doing pretty well, still on the anipryl which is working well enough, we have more walks with covid going on, and she's mostly mastering the art of walking on hard floors. if I walk with her between the small rug and the runner to go outside, she is fine on the hard part, but if I call her from the door she is quite pensive about crossing that area! and she tries to rush on it a bit much. she doesn't fall but she can stumble a bit making it to the runner!

I have antislip stuff underneath her bed, and also next to it underneath a blanket so she can get out of bed without any issues. otherwise her feet would slide on it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Unfortunately today could be The Day for Bonnie :smith: she seems to be in a fair bit of discomfort, can’t find a comfortable way to lie down, back legs are a bit shaky when she’s standing, etc

She had a hard life before we adopted her, and we’re determined that she won’t have a hard life in our care. So if the vet says this is just how it is, then it looks like it’s time

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

Unfortunately today could be The Day for Bonnie :smith: she seems to be in a fair bit of discomfort, can’t find a comfortable way to lie down, back legs are a bit shaky when she’s standing, etc

She had a hard life before we adopted her, and we’re determined that she won’t have a hard life in our care. So if the vet says this is just how it is, then it looks like it’s time

I'm so incredibly sorry. You're the perfect person to have Bonnie and I know you'll do right by her. She's a very good girl

Feel free to share if that will help and let us know if there's anything we can do that will help

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Just patiently allow me to share the ten bajillion funny Bonnie stories after it’s done

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
:(

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

So they gave her an anti inflammatory injection and we will watch her for 24 hours to see if it gets her back to relative normality. Follow-up appointment scheduled for the morning

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

So they gave her an anti inflammatory injection and we will watch her for 24 hours to see if it gets her back to relative normality. Follow-up appointment scheduled for the morning

We're all rooting for you and Bonnie, and trust that you'll make the right decision for her. I'd also appreciate ten bajillion Bonnie stories even if she pulls through this tough patch.

Also, seconding DarkHorse's offer to help in any way I can.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Best wishes for you and Bonnie!!!

today is Abby's nine year anniversary, she is very excited about it and definitely knows the importance of today!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Man I really wish we had just put her to sleep, the injection didn’t seem to help and she seems really miserable tonight :cry:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Man I really wish we had just put her to sleep, the injection didn’t seem to help and she seems really miserable tonight :cry:

Can you get the vet to come to your home? Holding thumbs that the injection will take hold sooner rather than later.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
A couple of months ago I started thinking about getting a puppy with the quarantine and all allowing me to work from home, and just wanted to thank yall for helping convince me to get a greyhound by having the thread up. Her name's Lemon Pepper, I've had her almost a month and she's the best. I'm glad I got a goofy sleeper too.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It's so weird seeing them with short snouts. I guess they really grow out as they get older?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Veskit posted:

A couple of months ago I started thinking about getting a puppy with the quarantine and all allowing me to work from home, and just wanted to thank yall for helping convince me to get a greyhound by having the thread up. Her name's Lemon Pepper, I've had her almost a month and she's the best. I'm glad I got a goofy sleeper too.

this is a excellent pupper :3: lookit that little goober sleep!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Veskit posted:

Are you not in a country with greyhound racing? I've never known anyone who owned one as a puppy because they are all on the farms.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

actionjackson posted:

Are you not in a country with greyhound racing? I've never known anyone who owned one as a puppy because they are all on the farms.

I'm in georgia and from what I understand the market for racing dogs dried up from the virus so he went public with the puppies. I had the chance to go to where they were raised, meet the parents, check out the paperwork and everything seemed on the up and up :shrug:

Everyone who knows dogs says the same thing that they've never seen a greyhound puppy, but most people think she's a mutt rescue puppy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ah cool that makes sense

Abby video time! Sorry it's so dark. I gave her part of her "cake" "bone"

https://twitter.com/fuck_it_all___/status/1298736146307067905

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

excellent twitter @ for 2020

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Giving my girls extra hugs and treats, for Bonnie. Having gone through the cancer struggle recently with Jake I can only offer my sympathy and condolences. It is so incredibly difficult. Keep in mind all of the good times and all the love she gave and received throughout her life.

Mrs. Beekeeper says “shower Bonnie with love! You are doing what you can to take on her pain so that she doesn’t have to feel it.”

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Meanwhile I haven’t heard anything for a month on my application :(

I don’t think anybody raises greyhounds around here. Iowa is relatively close and has one of the four US tracks that isn’t scheduled to close in 2020, so maybe I’ll have to take a road trip.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

I feel so sorry for you two! :smith: I really hope Bonnie has improved a little bit, in the hours after your post. (/Post-post?)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Wellllllll, after further discussion I've just applied to adopt a 2y/o grey...at least I managed to last a few weeks, before succumbing to the temptation.
:negative:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

grats on your new skeletal goblin

called it

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Major Isoor posted:

Wellllllll, after further discussion I've just applied to adopt a 2y/o grey...at least I managed to last a few weeks, before succumbing to the temptation.

:bisonyes: one of us! One of us!

Congrats, you won't regret it (you will regret it constantly but think it's still worth it if it's like Spartacus)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

Congrats, I think you need to post pictures!

Also jesus WEP sorry about Bonnie :smith: any updates?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

We put her to sleep this morning. She went peacefully and without any fuss. We were able to be there with her as it happened, and that was the main thing. She was ready to go. A couple of times overnight and this morning she wanted to go outside, and then didn’t want to come back in. Don’t they say a dog will try to hide away when it knows it’s dying? It kind of felt like she was doing that.

Just 10 days ago we were on the beach and she was running around and splashing in the water. We invited friends and family so everyone got to see her goof around. We didn’t quite realise how close to the end she was, but looking back it makes that day even more precious.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
I’m so sorry for your loss. RIP Bonnie. You made the right decision, as difficult as it is.

When Jake passed we received lots of messages of sympathy, flowers, cards, gifts, etc. For each person that sent us something, I would dig through my millions of photos of him and find one of that person with Jake and send it to them as a thank you. Some were pretty silly so I found myself laughing through the tears. I found it incredibly therapeutic as you get to see all the love and joy that were had with each friend or family member.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

I’m so sorry for your loss. RIP Bonnie. You made the right decision, as difficult as it is.

When Jake passed we received lots of messages of sympathy, flowers, cards, gifts, etc. For each person that sent us something, I would dig through my millions of photos of him and find one of that person with Jake and send it to them as a thank you. Some were pretty silly so I found myself laughing through the tears. I found it incredibly therapeutic as you get to see all the love and joy that were had with each friend or family member.

That's an amazing idea and if people send us anything I'm going to steal that idea

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My condolences :smith:

Sounds like she had a great life, and I'm glad she went peacefully. I need to hug Abby now!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Condolences from us as well. It looks like she was happy and goofing off at the beach almost until the end.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

jesus WEP posted:

We put her to sleep this morning. She went peacefully and without any fuss. We were able to be there with her as it happened, and that was the main thing. She was ready to go. A couple of times overnight and this morning she wanted to go outside, and then didn’t want to come back in. Don’t they say a dog will try to hide away when it knows it’s dying? It kind of felt like she was doing that.

Just 10 days ago we were on the beach and she was running around and splashing in the water. We invited friends and family so everyone got to see her goof around. We didn’t quite realise how close to the end she was, but looking back it makes that day even more precious.

That's what happened with my childhood dog, she was always good about staying in the yard but near the end (after we'd already scheduled the in-home euthanasia) she slowly, stiffly walked down the hill and tried to go into the icy creek.

I carried her back up and apologized for making her wait, but i gave her some pets and she seemed to forgive me :unsmith:

I'm so glad you got such a good memory right near the end for Bonnie. Please keep sharing Bonnie stories

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Im so sorry about Bonnie, every time news like that comes up in this thread it breaks my heart and I have to fight off tears. It always makes me remember Union. I hope for everyone they had as precious a relationship with their grey. They really are special dogs and saying goodbye is the worst part.

I’m so glad she got such a special day with you and her friends! I’m sure she knew she was treasured and that is the best we can do for them- give them a life of safety and love and, occasionally, 🍔

Thanks to the suggestion in this thread I am def going to get my greys’ numbers tattooed on me. Just trying to decide where.

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 27, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think I've mentioned this before but it's my favourite Bonnie thing. She didn't have separation anxiety by any means - if we left the house, chances are she'd be asleep by the time we locked the door. What she did have, I guess, was what looked to me like the fear that humans had separation anxiety. She hated going on a walk with just me or just my girlfriend, leaving the other one behind. This took us months to figure out, by the way. For whatever reason we got accustomed to splitting walk duties with our previous dog, so we found it really weird that Bonnie never wanted to go walkies unless both of us went.

One time we walked a friend home, and she stood outside his house for two full minutes before we could convince her we were just going home ourselves. Another time we met friends at the park by chance (they drove there, we walked) and when we were all done, Bonnie somehow missed them leaving in the car and wanted to search the entire drat park looking for them.

Two other related stories:

Almost every day, girlfriend and I would walk Bonnie to the corner shop; one of us would go in; the other stayed outside with Bon; we wait for the shopping to be done; Bonnie would be very happy to see the returning shopper; and we would all go home. All very nice and normal dog things. Except, once I just needed to go to the ATM beside the shop, while my girlfriend was out at work. I naively took Bonnie with me. She came with me just fine because, as previously stated, she only has a problem if she's actively leaving someone behind. The problem was that once I got to the ATM, she realised "Hey! Usually we wait here, and then mum comes out!". So I had to spend like 5 minutes enticing and cajoling her until the shop was out of sight.

Every week, my girlfriend has a yoga class in the evening, and I took Bonnie a walk to meet her as she was finishing up, so we could all walk home together. Great! Until one week we were away on holiday, and my girlfriend's mother was housesitting and looking after Bonnie, and happened to make the mistake of walking her past the yoga studio one evening at around the same time as a class was ending. I only have the second hand info on this, but she did tell me that it took about 15 minutes to convince Bonnie that gf wouldn't be coming out and they should just go home.

She was, in short, incredibly sweet and loving towards humans, in a more subtle and typically sighthoundy way than you'd expect from most other dog breeds. I'm sure it's something a lot of us have in common in this thread, enjoying the smaller signs of affection - the staring, the leaning, the plaintive sighing for attention

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hahah that's a great story! did Bonnie not need a kong or anything when you left the house?

When I got back from my walk with Abby today she threw up after I gave her the last dog ice cream thing :/ I think I should have just waited a bit. Also the vet is having me give her an extra 1/4 of food to get her weight up a bit, so that might be related. I figured what dog, after a hot weather walk, wouldn't like to lick a frozen thing!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie had 3-4 beds in the living room and it was very rare that if we left her in one bed, she would have moved to another in the time it took us to get back. She was absurdly chilled out and lazy, almost completely immune to boredom. She was basically a big angular bony cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

How did I not think about freezing a whole banana until now