Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

stoopidmunkey posted:

I have an iPad Pro 10.5 that I got for “reasons” but never use. My oldest is starting kindergarten in a couple weeks so I decided to give it to her. I made her a child account and reset the iPad then set it up with her credentials and all is working as intended. Apart from abcmouse are there any must have apps for 5 year olds? She’s getting a chrome book through school but we want to supplement with the iPad

My 4 year old is loving most of the osmo stuff. The upfront cost is a bit for the accessories and pieces but they don't screw around with IAP and subscriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

stoopidmunkey posted:

I have an iPad Pro 10.5 that I got for “reasons” but never use. My oldest is starting kindergarten in a couple weeks so I decided to give it to her. I made her a child account and reset the iPad then set it up with her credentials and all is working as intended. Apart from abcmouse are there any must have apps for 5 year olds? She’s getting a chrome book through school but we want to supplement with the iPad

I'd got for one of the simpler, relatively intuitive drawing apps like Tayasui Sketches, which have UIs that (mostly) directly translate to physical art tools and techniques.

Edit: I mentioned Paper originally, but removed it since it's one of those subscription apps, where the Tayasui apps are all one-time purchases for the 'pro' features.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 22, 2020

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Does anybody have recommendations for a game controller for an iPad? I’ve got a latest generation iPad Air and I’d like to play some of the old final fantasy games and such on it, but the touchscreen controls suck.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Khizan posted:

Does anybody have recommendations for a game controller for an iPad? I’ve got a latest generation iPad Air and I’d like to play some of the old final fantasy games and such on it, but the touchscreen controls suck.

Xbox one controller imo, it’s bluetooth and usually available on sale. That or a playstation one (I think those work too but not 100% sure)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

priznat posted:

Xbox one controller imo, it’s bluetooth and usually available on sale. That or a playstation one (I think those work too but not 100% sure)

Playstation controllers work flawlessly.

It works real well with the PS app to play games on the PS4 over the network.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There ya go! Either would work and are quality designs that are widely supported and available.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah I use it a lot, finished Persona 5 on my iPad. It’s not great for all games but it works well for some.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

otoh the xboner controller works a little better with steam link (The difference is minor. I bought an xb1 controller on sale mostly because pairing the ps4 controller back and forth between the ps4 and the apple tv is a pain in the rear end)

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

8bitdo's SN30 Pro or Pro+ controllers work well with an iPad too. I occasionally use an SN30 Pro to do remote play from my PS4.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

isn't there a website that you can log into that sends you emails when something shows up in the apple refurbished store? I'm looking at the 11 inch iPad pro (2018, with 256 gigs) and they're of course out of the refurbished stock right now. I want to know next time they pop back in. (think i'll grab that and the new 5.4 inch iPhone 12) for my fully portable work flow... (for I guess the park since coffee shops are still a no go).

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

LionArcher posted:

isn't there a website that you can log into that sends you emails when something shows up in the apple refurbished store? I'm looking at the 11 inch iPad pro (2018, with 256 gigs) and they're of course out of the refurbished stock right now. I want to know next time they pop back in. (think i'll grab that and the new 5.4 inch iPhone 12) for my fully portable work flow... (for I guess the park since coffee shops are still a no go).

https://refurb-tracker.com

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Also: https://www.refurb.me/

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

buffbus posted:

My 4 year old is loving most of the osmo stuff. The upfront cost is a bit for the accessories and pieces but they don't screw around with IAP and subscriptions.

Roadie posted:

I'd got for one of the simpler, relatively intuitive drawing apps like Tayasui Sketches, which have UIs that (mostly) directly translate to physical art tools and techniques.

Edit: I mentioned Paper originally, but removed it since it's one of those subscription apps, where the Tayasui apps are all one-time purchases for the 'pro' features.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll get these on there as soon as I can pry it away from her. I got her Teach my Monster to Read based on this thread's recommendations and she's totally loving it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

Went with the PS controller, largely because that's the only one they had in stock anywhere in the city. So far, it's working great.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just picked up a second hand iPad Pro 12.9" (second gen I think?) and it's sitting on 11.2 and appears stuck at 'Update Requested' in the software updates area. I've tried a hard reset and also can't see the update sitting in storage to clear/delete as per googled instructions.

Any ideas on how I can force the update? I don't have a MacOS device/laptop to do this from either.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Honestly, can’t think of a way to force it. A connected update would probably be best — it’s been a long time since I had a Windows machine but I think you still use iTunes to manage an iPad on that platform, so maybe download that and give it a try?

Last resort would be to visit a nearby Apple Store or give an authorized repair centre.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
By "hard reset", do you mean you’ve done an "erase all content and settings" reset?

Do you know if the previous owner ever jail broke it? I think there are some .plist configuration file changes that can be made while jail broken that will stop the iPad from being able to do OTA updates. However, you should be able to update it by putting it into Restore or DFU mode and connecting to a Mac or PC running iTunes.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah just the reset with the hardware buttons (home and power). But cheers will try iTunes on Windows

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
If anyone cares, I am sending in my trusty iPad to be "repaired" because of the rapidly weakening battery. I don't want to, but I am in the middle of the worst pandemic hotspot in North America and none of the Apple stores are open. What bothers me about this whole process is how inconsistent everything that they tell me is. When I went into the Apple store last autumn, before the plague hit, they offered me out-the-door a model of pad that was several years newer than my iPad Air 2 from 2015. I posted it in this thread where they told me that I should have taken the offer, and they were right, but I had just gone in to get a new battery and I was overly cautious. A few weeks ago, I called in and the guy flatly told me that they would put a new battery into the device, but when I called this morning a bloke named Chris told me that it would be a "like for like" swap of the same pad with refurbished parts but a new battery and possibly screen. I told him about my experience last year and he seemed very surprised. I don't really have any options, but it's hard to have confidence in a company where everyone is telling me their own thing.

I briefly considered getting a new iPad Air with more memory, but I can't indulge myself right now. Of course, if Apple allowed external memory like everyone else in the sodding world, this wouldn't be necessary, but maybe next time I do buy a new pad I will go Android.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

If Apple allowed external memory like everyone else in the sodding world,

[monkey’s paw curls one finger]

quote:

next time I do buy a new pad I will go Android.

:getin:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JustJeff88 posted:

I briefly considered getting a new iPad Air with more memory, but I can't indulge myself right now. Of course, if Apple allowed external memory like everyone else in the sodding world, this wouldn't be necessary, but maybe next time I do buy a new pad I will go Android.

Good luck finding an Android tablet manufacturer with a better or more consistent standard of quality or service than Apple. Hell, good luck finding a brand of tablet in the same solar system.

The Android tablet space is perpetually where the iPad was in like 2013.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Since they started allowing external drives I’ve had zero space trouble. Is that a pro only feature?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

hatty posted:

Since they started allowing external drives I’ve had zero space trouble. Is that a pro only feature?

Nope, but you’re limited by the fact that Pros are USB-C and the rest are Lightning, so you have to go through dongles and poo poo.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

BurgerQuest posted:

Nah just the reset with the hardware buttons (home and power). But cheers will try iTunes on Windows

I see this pop up quite a bit, and just for the record this literally does nothing good unless you can't power down the device normally. It's the equivalent of yanking the power cord out of the back of your PC to reboot.

If there's nothing of value on the iPad or it's backed up a restore via iTunes will take care of it, just make sure your iTunes is up to date but normally you can go into the storage settings and delete the downloaded pending update like any other app.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I've been an Android person since the start of smartphones, and anti-apple since itunes ate my music collection because I plugged in a brand new ipod. But when looking at tablets Apple really is the only decent option IMHO.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All good - iTunes on Windows did the trick.

This is really nice to use with a Bluetooth mouse, I haven’t had an iOS device for the last 5 years and haven’t had an iPad since I guess around the time the original mini got released.

This came with the Apple keyboard folio thingy and combined with a mouse it feels quite good for basic productivity.

I really just picked it up as I felt like a new gadget to mess with and wanted a little side unit for discord while working/gaming and I’m quite happy with it.

My last tablet was a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 and while I really loved it eventually I stopped really using it much.

The 12.9” feels HUGE but it’s really nice on the couch so far.

Typing this post on the keyboard was quite nice.

That is all!

Actually - I’d love any recommendations for games (mostly turn based or similar) that really shine on the iPad. I’ve already re-installed my old purchase of Baldur’s Gate II EE and that looks gorgeous, as well as Battle for Polytopia and Pixel Dungeon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BurgerQuest posted:

Actually - I’d love any recommendations for games (mostly turn based or similar) that really shine on the iPad. I’ve already re-installed my old purchase of Baldur’s Gate II EE and that looks gorgeous, as well as Battle for Polytopia and Pixel Dungeon.

Civ 6 is basically full-featured on iPad, but pricey.

You like EVE Online? Wanna join the Goon Squad? EVE Echoes came out last week.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool, grabbed whatever the free edition is to check it out (Civ).

Eve... I dunno. Will take a look!

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

JustJeff88 posted:

If anyone cares, I am sending in my trusty iPad to be "repaired" because of the rapidly weakening battery. I don't want to, but I am in the middle of the worst pandemic hotspot in North America and none of the Apple stores are open. What bothers me about this whole process is how inconsistent everything that they tell me is. When I went into the Apple store last autumn, before the plague hit, they offered me out-the-door a model of pad that was several years newer than my iPad Air 2 from 2015. I posted it in this thread where they told me that I should have taken the offer, and they were right, but I had just gone in to get a new battery and I was overly cautious. A few weeks ago, I called in and the guy flatly told me that they would put a new battery into the device, but when I called this morning a bloke named Chris told me that it would be a "like for like" swap of the same pad with refurbished parts but a new battery and possibly screen. I told him about my experience last year and he seemed very surprised. I don't really have any options, but it's hard to have confidence in a company where everyone is telling me their own thing.

if that were an android tablet it would have stopped receiving any updates 4 years ago and would have been slower than any ipad from the same time period, to say nothing of today

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

My wife still uses an Air 2

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

Wait so you, in an Apple Store, a store owned by Apple, were offered a brand new iPad as a replacement to your current one and your instinct was that it was some sort of trick?

I don't think getting an Android tablet would have solved any of the issues you have buddy.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

ijyt posted:

Wait so you, in an Apple Store, a store owned by Apple, were offered a brand new iPad as a replacement to your current one and your instinct was that it was some sort of trick?

I don't think getting an Android tablet would have solved any of the issues you have buddy.

I had a big ole effort post and just deleted it. That part of the story just bugged me too much. So odd

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

ijyt posted:

:yeah:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In-store service seems to have a bit more leeway in helping out customers. I've had them fix a MacBook screen for free under warranty, even though it was definitely my (or, more accurately, my cat's) fault it broke.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the only time I ever really did damage to Apple stuff was cracking the screen on my X and I don’t know why voodoo the woman did at the store but I think she BSed a recall or something and within the hour was picking my phone back up with a brand new display installed for $0.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

AdmiralViscen posted:

My wife still uses an Air 2

I still use an Air 2 for work. I can take a Teams call and split screen with TeamViewer and do like 70% of my job. It’s ridiculous.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The General posted:

I've been an Android person since the start of smartphones, and anti-apple since itunes ate my music collection because I plugged in a brand new ipod. But when looking at tablets Apple really is the only decent option IMHO.

I really wanted to avoid Apple products, but when I started looking at tablets for my mother the iPad just blew everything else out of the water. No contest. Sucks.

Then after setting hers up and playing with it a bit, I broke down and bought one for myself.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

tuyop posted:

I still use an Air 2 for work. I can take a Teams call and split screen with TeamViewer and do like 70% of my job. It’s ridiculous.
The Air 2 is one of the best iPads ever made. If the OP was offered a free iPad upgrade without that sweet laminated display, it wasn’t worth it imho.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

The Air 2 is one of the best iPads ever made. If the OP was offered a free iPad upgrade without that sweet laminated display, it wasn’t worth it imho.

Yet look where that got him now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Yet look where that got him now

It’s ok, they’ll just get a Galaxy Tab and have a much better experien—bahahahahaha, I can’t.