Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
garden's an overgrown mess but it's starting to produce!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Star Me Kitten posted:

I haven't. But I do know they are relatively easy to grow; however, if you intend to harvest it for the spice, it takes 150 blossoms to make a single gram of saffron and tens of thousands to make an ounce.

some quick math says I only need about a hundred individual flowers to eat biryani for a year

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

i say swears online posted:

some quick math says I only need about a hundred individual flowers to eat biryani for a year

Go for it then! Your backyard (or wherever) will be filled with those beautiful flowers, too.

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
and every trumoe you make
Grimey Drawer
one of my wintersquash bushes seems to have a mold problem

i've had to throw away 5 squashes now that looks exactly the same

the foliage looks fine

anything i can do? there are alot of healthy fruits on the vines as well, would be a shame if i have to kill the entire bush

on a lighter note i have alot of healthy wintersquashes as well

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Qurnah posted:

one of my wintersquash bushes seems to have a mold problem

i've had to throw away 5 squashes now that looks exactly the same

the foliage looks fine

anything i can do? there are alot of healthy fruits on the vines as well, would be a shame if i have to kill the entire bush

on a lighter note i have alot of healthy wintersquashes as well

It is possible that you are overwatering or that your soil is not draining well. You can try putting a layer of mulch or straw on top of the soil which will prevent mold by keeping soil moisture away from the squash. I cannot tell from your picture but make sure your bushes are about 4 feet apart in order to have good air circulation. Make sure to water deeply yet infrequently, letting the soil dry in between waterings sessions, and avoid getting the water on the plants. You also might want to do some tests to make sure your soil is draining properly. Your squash looks really good! I hope it works out.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
yeah your soil is too wet, thats what causes that. i never grew wintersquash but melons need like real quick draining soil to not rot while they grow, around here people mix in loess (limestone sand) into their melon patch to keep them drained

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
welp, a groundhog has circumvented the garden defense to snack on my glorious tomatoes

luckily I have plenty of them so I will leave friend groundhog alone for now

Qurnah
May 9, 2008

every treumpo you take
and every trumoe you make
Grimey Drawer
thanks for the input, i will be a little stingier with my watering henceforth

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Would anyone be interested in helping me design a greenhouse? I snagged 140 glass doors from the dumpster at work. Now I’m a huge coward about actually building the thing.

I used to buy all my plants from a local high school horticulture program, but, covid.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/ask-expert/featured/greenhouse-dream-it-plan-it-build-it

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I wasn't expecting much yield from the corn

did increase my initial seed outlay by 5-10x though so I'm pretty cool with that

but et tu sqashe?

did you get pollinated by just the nastiest bee or something?

after action survival garden report, observations and closing remarks.

1: make sure your patch is getting more than 4 hours of sunlight a day, cut down all the neighbor's trees if you have to. I dug mine up in late march then dumbass me was all baffled why the 8 hours of exposure dropped to 4 when all the trees got their leaves

2: bush beans seem way more productive than pole beans, both for green and dried beans. the $1.50 1/4lb bag I got from the hardware store is still 3/4 full and I got more out of them than any of the fancier stuff I planted.

3: millet. I had a little trouble getting the seeds to start and getting the sprouts to survive, but for only being planted in a few extra lovely experimental patches I got -way- more seed out than I put in, like orders of magnitude greater return than the corn for the amount of space and resources inputted. like, I'm p' sure you could toss some seed down by a drainage ditch and just inadvertently end up with a ton of storable calories

fall/winter experiment is going to be buckwheat

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

35lbs of tomatoes so far (not all pictured), waiting on them to ripen up for processing.

The tomato patch is a mess as every plant is dying and just lying sideways full of tomatoes.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
instinctively licked my lips at them maters

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

roma tomato best tomato

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I can't decide if ridiculously high density gardening was a success or a failure. On one hand, we're up to almost 80 lbs. of tomatoes and some plants are still holding on and going strong. On the other hand, my two 4x4 planters (9 tomato plants each) got some kind of fungal disease and it spread through those guys like COVID through a Georgia high school. They've also been unmanageable and out of control for like a month now, but they aren't dead yet.

We planted a ton of different varieties this year, so it's kind of fun for the kitchen counter to constantly be filled with mixes like this:

Eggplants and peppers both seemed to take pretty well to high intensity gardening, but these little fuckers are my favorite this year:

I think the plants are finally dying off, but we've been getting about as many cucamelons are in that bowl nearly every day for the past 5 weeks now. It owns.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What do the cucamelons taste like?

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
those things look like cartoon alien eggs.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Platystemon posted:

What do the cucamelons taste like?

Citrus-y cucumbers is a pretty good description. The small ones are kind of sweet, larger ones more sour. When they get big they taste like a cucumber dipped in lime juice.

They make a really nice snack in the garden but I’m liking them dumped in salads too.

“big” is relative though because they only get to be about the size of a grape

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 04:19 on Aug 27, 2020

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

My wife wants to turn as much of our backyard into garden as possible. My limiting factor is going to be soil, however. I can make the beds easily enough but to fill them seems like it will get expensive. Are there any hacks to cheap but good soil?

I know it's late in the season (Denver, CO) so I'm not expecting to get anything up and going right away that will produce this year, but I'd like to at least be well prepared for next year. Can I just troll Craigslist for free manure and then mix that with some free fill dirt? Is there some magical time of year to look for and hop on soil sales? Obviously I don't have a lot of money for this off the bat - I'll just be able to trickle some funds here and there over to this project. Probably one of the first things I should do is set up a compost bin. I played with square foot gardening for one season about a decade ago, is that still a decent method for planning things out?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Organic Lube User posted:

My wife wants to turn as much of our backyard into garden as possible. My limiting factor is going to be soil, however. I can make the beds easily enough but to fill them seems like it will get expensive. Are there any hacks to cheap but good soil?

I know it's late in the season (Denver, CO) so I'm not expecting to get anything up and going right away that will produce this year, but I'd like to at least be well prepared for next year. Can I just troll Craigslist for free manure and then mix that with some free fill dirt? Is there some magical time of year to look for and hop on soil sales? Obviously I don't have a lot of money for this off the bat - I'll just be able to trickle some funds here and there over to this project. Probably one of the first things I should do is set up a compost bin. I played with square foot gardening for one season about a decade ago, is that still a decent method for planning things out?

what square footage? 20 or 30 dollars in chicken manure was enough to properly nitrogenate like 150-180 sq ft for me. it's work, but digging up and turning over soil is way cheaper than filling beds.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if you're planting for next spring, mulch is cheap and now's a good time to start it decomposing

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

There's a lot that goes into good soil and it's hard to kickstart raised beds in one season without really breaking the bank. The problem with cheap fill is that it's going to be effectively "dead" soil, so you're going to need to amend it a ton and for raised beds you may have drainage issues if the texture isn't right. If you're starting now (like right now in the fall), then a good mix of fill and manure might be okay. I'd amend the beds with compost in the spring and then use a good organic fertilizer throughout the season.

Good soil really needs to be grown, though. So starting cheap is fine if you're okay with potentially having less-than-stellar results in your first season. If you keep amending with compost and take care of your beds (cover crop in winter and keep them mulched in spring/summer) then you can eventually turn subpar soil into a great growing medium.

Also, square foot gardening is fine, but you need to take some things with a grain of salt. You can grow a tomato plant in one square foot, but you need to single stem it and that takes a lot of pruning. I think the guidance for zucchini is like two squares and that's just madness. Making square foot gardening work typically requires really good soil and going aggressively vertical.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

what square footage? 20 or 30 dollars in chicken manure was enough to properly nitrogenate like 150-180 sq ft for me. it's work, but digging up and turning over soil is way cheaper than filling beds.

That's probably about the square footage I'd be looking to start with. We've got a fairly large back yard but it's on about a 5% grade, so I'm primarily looking to do raised beds because I'll need to have some level ground. The other reason is because dogs and cats have been pooping and peeing all over this yard for years, and I have no idea what pesticides and fertilizers have been used on this yard over the years. Am I just being overly cautious and should just rent a tiller and buy a load of manure to work into it, and then just add compost over the winter? Do I need to eliminate the slope if I do that?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

My garden is partially on a slope that is probably more than 5% and its fine. Just put your rows so they channel water away rather than over them.

People garden on slopes all the time, it doesn't really matter other than in extreme conditions. And figure out the exact bed area you want, then you can determine the fertilizer cost, its probably not that much unless your budget is zero.

And with sleuthing probably you can corner some compost/waste/manure for free. If you have a means to transports it. Also raising beds is just extra work unless you want to put them in wood borders or whatever to look nice. Beds can be level with the ground and its fine.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Well the next major factor aside from the slope would be using soil that has pet waste and unknown ferts and -icides. Would tilling in compost and manure be enough to remediate that?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is petpoop bad??

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm just starting out with the assumption that it's at best not great, but I'm open to correction. My general impression is that cat and dog poops are not the same as cow plops.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Unless your lot is a urban site with previous industry on it, should be fine. Pet poo poo will breakdown by next year. Don't let them poo poo on live veggies though.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Well I'm not far from some land that got hosed up by a plutonium trigger factory a few decades back, but I doubt that'll be a huge deal, so looks like manure + tiller is gonna be the way to go.

Gotta admit, in my mind that's way more what real gardening should be, not so much containers and raised beds.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

I'm just starting out with the assumption that it's at best not great, but I'm open to correction. My general impression is that cat and dog poops are not the same as cow plops.
My second dog had absolutely heinous-smelling poops that acted as incredible fertilizer on the part of the lawn where he did his business
(poop of the first and third dogs didn't though)

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Well I'm not far from some land that got hosed up by a plutonium trigger factory a few decades back, but I doubt that'll be a huge deal, so looks like manure + tiller is gonna be the way to go.

Gotta admit, in my mind that's way more what real gardening should be, not so much containers and raised beds.

You probably won't even have to till honestly, look up no till methods. You can just get a nice fork to losen the soil and pile on fresh compost + fertilizer in the spring. Or just till once to get it all loose if its really compacted.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Could do some atomic gardening!

https://www.atomicgardening.com/

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

just went to my community garden for the first time since brutally and insanely murdering my spine and it’s a total mess. almost everything is lost except a couple scraggly scorpion peppers and an absolutely out of control butternut squash. at least the squash is taking care of itself...

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

it's generally a bad idea to use dog or cat poop directly as fertilizer, and you shouldn't really use cat poop at all

if you're going to use dog poop then compost it, but make sure you're doing hot composting and the pile actually gets hot otherwise it's definitely going to be in the realm of not entirely safe (although you probably won't get sick)

using an area where a dog pooped once upon a time is fine, though, as long as it's not an active doggy toilet

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I have picked 150lbs of tomatoes *thus far*

I've also ran out of space on tables for ripening, so some spare plastic and the floor it is. Already processed 18 quarts of crushed tomatoes.

Tomorrow I'll make some thick sauce that takes forever to simmer.

Bonus picture of hillside pumpkins taking over.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

it's generally a bad idea to use dog or cat poop directly as fertilizer, and you shouldn't really use cat poop at all

if you're going to use dog poop then compost it, but make sure you're doing hot composting and the pile actually gets hot otherwise it's definitely going to be in the realm of not entirely safe (although you probably won't get sick)

using an area where a dog pooped once upon a time is fine, though, as long as it's not an active doggy toilet

what if i pee on my roses every once in awhile when i'm drunk

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Sylink posted:

I have picked 150lbs of tomatoes *thus far*

I've also ran out of space on tables for ripening, so some spare plastic and the floor it is. Already processed 18 quarts of crushed tomatoes.

Tomorrow I'll make some thick sauce that takes forever to simmer.

Bonus picture of hillside pumpkins taking over.

what is the point of growing pumpkins?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

LibCrusher posted:

what is the point of growing pumpkins?

I'm growing pie pumpkins, also called sugar pumpkins. They will be small and round, then you cook them up and eat them.

You can make pumpkin chili for example. Basically you can use it as a base for lots of things like tomato sauce, besides pumpkin pies.

The decorative pumpkins you see are sometimes called field or carving pumpkins in my experience.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Well the next major factor aside from the slope would be using soil that has pet waste and unknown ferts and -icides. Would tilling in compost and manure be enough to remediate that?

if you want to be scientific about it, you can get a soil testing kit that will tell you your dirt's ph, and relative nitrogen phosphorus and potassium levels (fancier ones include other elements). the 2nd thing is the dirt's water retention properties, if it's too sandy it won't stay wet if it's too clay it'll be swampy and gross. while it's the thread's joke title, tilling in a bunch of shredded paper or cardboard is a very cheap way to help with that. last is aeration, you want your dirt to be light and fluffy for a number of reasons, other than distributing your soil amendments, that's the reason for tilling or turning.

as sylink says, pretty much all of this is optional and you can cover a spot with mulch over a season, throw some seeds down and probably do alright, but the more you work your soil on average the better the results will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thinking about planting poppies. our first weak frost is usually around thanksgiving. can i get a bloom out now before december?

if so, would i put them in the freezer for a day or two, then wet in the fridge, then sown outside? i tried planting poppies years and years ago with no takers