Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
So can someone explain why Canberras birthday balloon is a titty whale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Can you explain why yours isn't?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
I didn't know there was an option for it. :smith:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Helios Grime posted:

I've heard Canberra compared to Albany, in that it's a soulless region of pure misery and boredom.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Beachcomber posted:

I've heard Canberra compared to Albany, in that it's a soulless region of pure misery and boredom.

Canberra was built because Sydney and Melbourne wouldn't stop fighting over who should be the countries capital. So they just put a pin in the map half way between the two and made it its own separate territory from the two states and said "fine it's here now, neither of you get it".

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Beachcomber posted:

I didn't think Albany was well known enough for anyone to compare it to anything. Unless we're talking about different Albanys?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Beachcomber posted:

I was under the impression Albany was very famous for it's way of cooking burgers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inceltown posted:

Canberra was built because Sydney and Melbourne wouldn't stop fighting over who should be the countries capital. So they just put a pin in the map half way between the two and made it its own separate territory from the two states and said "fine it's here now, neither of you get it".

Don't forget that it's all swampland, so they really went all-in on spite-building the capital.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Samovar posted:

I was under the impression Albany was very famous for it's way of cooking burgers.

It’s a regional dialect.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Helios Grime posted:

Any reason for Patricia Piccinini to keep making her awesome creatures is reason enough

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hyperlynx posted:

I didn't think Albany was well known enough for anyone to compare it to anything. Unless we're talking about different Albanys?

I was talking about Albany, NY which is the state capital instead of NYC like everyone assumes. The industry there has basically left and theres very little culture to speak of, and it's too far from any nearby cities for a reasonable jaunt.

Or so I'm told.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Inceltown posted:

For a funny definition of 'halfway'. It's a planned city, which apparently means it's basically 90% roundabouts, and from above it looks like a giant dartboard with Parliament House in the centre.

Got some nice museums and parks, but otherwise it may rival even Adelaide for dullness and questionable reasons to exist. And as a result most 'culture' is avante-garde nonsense mostly expressing a desperate emptiness of a country that never really figured out what to be besides a colonial outpost, though at least Adelaide rolls with it. (I remember a tagline of the Fringe Festival was 'let's put the nonsense back into culture')

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget that it's all swampland, so they really went all-in on spite-building the capital.

Plus it's freezing cold on the winter, prone to enormous bushfires in the summer and just a miserable place full of politicians all year 'round.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The girl who took my virginity is from and lives in Canberra.

You are all better people now that you know that fact.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Milton Keynes is the UK version of Canberra, but without even the bonus of being the capital

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Well if you know where she is why don't you go get it back?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Memento posted:

Plus it's freezing cold on the winter, prone to enormous bushfires in the summer and just a miserable place full of politicians all year 'round.

Take out the brush fires and you still talking about Albany

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

She took it? Where does she store it, lets get it back bro

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Flyinglemur posted:

Take out the brush fires and you still talking about Albany

What can you expect from a place that calls hamburgers steamed hams?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

I don't mean to be crass, but how many skytitties did she have?

Hunchie
Jul 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For a funny definition of 'halfway'. It's a planned city, which apparently means it's basically 90% roundabouts, and from above it looks like a giant dartboard with Parliament House in the centre.

Got some nice museums and parks, but otherwise it may rival even Adelaide for dullness and questionable reasons to exist. And as a result most 'culture' is avante-garde nonsense mostly expressing a desperate emptiness of a country that never really figured out what to be besides a colonial outpost, though at least Adelaide rolls with it. (I remember a tagline of the Fringe Festival was 'let's put the nonsense back into culture')

Hey we have our excitements. You forgot we have weed, brutalist architecture and prostitution and pretty good coffee too. There's also currently a bikie war on right now.
Canberra is a happening place!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

What's a "bikie war"?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Kwyndig posted:

What's a "bikie war"?

Think Road Rash but not a game. Or Mad Max but only bikes. If you tell me your age I can hopefully find a correct cultural reference but essentially it's Hells Angels but Aussie so more cheerful but also more violent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Beachcomber posted:

I was talking about Albany, NY which is the state capital instead of NYC like everyone assumes. The industry there has basically left and theres very little culture to speak of, and it's too far from any nearby cities for a reasonable jaunt.

Or so I'm told.

I dated a girl that lived in Troy, which is right next to it and basically Albany Lite, and it’s almost impressive how many closed storefronts there are in any given block in either city. The SUNY college in Albany is one of the most depressing places I’ve ever been to, it’s just giant square concrete buildings and looks like a prison.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Kwyndig posted:

What's a "bikie war"?

https://youtu.be/ihSaGAVHmvw

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I would have also accepted https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wwJDHmwtWM

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

je prends de la coke

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Literally the exact same reason Washington, DC exists, even down to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

DC is also a planned city, but it was planned in the early 19th century when cars didn't exist so that's been a problem.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Moon Slayer posted:

DC is also a planned city, but it was planned in the early 19th century when cars didn't exist so that's been a problem.

It has nothing on Boston’s hosed up roads. The intersections in that city are made to break minds.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It has nothing on Boston’s hosed up roads. The intersections in that city are made to break minds.

this would make a pretty good puzzle game. get a map of boston and have to place these pieces on the correct intersection. all while maintaining a solid boston accent and being wildly boston racist.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

this would make a pretty good puzzle game. get a map of boston and have to place these pieces on the correct intersection. all while maintaining a solid boston accent and being wildly boston racist.

I think that’s how you summon demons. The intersections are totally eldritch glyphs and the Boston accent turns everything you say into a dark incantation.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

These could be runes written by Chtulhu.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 14:22 on Aug 27, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I think that’s how you summon demons. The intersections are totally eldritch glyphs and the Boston accent turns everything you say into a dark incantation.

Oh I see you become Lovecraft, and that's when the real racism happens.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marshmallow creep posted:

These could be runes written by from Chtulhu.

This is basically a plot point in Good Omens

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Blair Witch Road Project

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Moon Slayer posted:

They stuck a pin in the map and said “yeah this big swamp is a great place for a capital. Not only is it unpleasant most of the year this is the late 18th/early 19th century so we get to have lots of terrible epidemics too!”

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Scratch Monkey posted:

They stuck a pin in the map and said “yeah this big swamp is a great place for a capital. Not only is it unpleasant most of the year this is the late 18th/early 19th century so we get to have lots of terrible epidemics too!”
A feature truly. Modern medicine is too kind. You should be absolutely thrilled to leave a capital after 2-6 years.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

They tried to impose a plan on Queens after the fact.

Every Street is Named 60

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Holy poo poo put in some roundabouts