Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Algund Eenboom posted:

Heres the chapter from Ways of Looking by John Berger where he talks about animals, our cultural understanding of them, and how it was shaped by the transition from communal to feudal to mechanized production http://artsites.ucsc.edu/faculty/gustafson/FILM%20161.F08/readings/berger.animals%202.pdf Have fun reading if you wish- go “hog” wild 😄

he (👑) also became a peasant!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

indigi posted:

October has Lenin vacillating a lot as well as completely unable to admit fault or error. is that a decent pocket profile of the guy or is that image due to Mieville's Trot leanings or something? (idk)

he wwas intj i believe.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

exmarx posted:

he wwas intj i believe.

actually he was РКП(б) :v:

THS
Sep 15, 2017

too many historical leaders were intj (bad autism) not enough were intp (good autism)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

marx did take over the LTV from smith, ricardo et al and improve it. this was actually a problem for me when I read capital, as it meant he didn't feel the need to introduce and justify it systematically, as he was building on established work. but by the 21st century it's a dead letter outside marxian economics so that basis can't be assumed

comedyblissoption posted:

but by what mechanism is the capitalist able to sell a product created for more than the cost of the inputs if market transactions are supposed to be nominally equal between parties

the capitalist can sell the product for whatever the market will bear, which is affected by many different factors.

there needs to be some kind of transformation (he can't buy from a shop and then sell the same products to the same customers at a markup right where he's standing at the cashier), even if it's just taking the inputs to a different market, and you can argue this transformation must always involve some kind of labour, but there's a major leap from there to the claim that the numerical difference in 'value' (as distinct from, but related to, price) is determined by the socially necessary labour time involved in that transformation, and that this is the origin of profit.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Peel posted:

the capitalist can sell the product for whatever the market will bear, which is affected by many different factors.

there needs to be some kind of transformation (he can't buy from a shop and then sell the same products to the same customers at a markup right where he's standing at the cashier), even if it's just taking the inputs to a different market, and you can argue this transformation must always involve some kind of labour, but there's a major leap from there to the claim that the numerical difference in 'value' (as distinct from, but related to, price) is determined by the socially necessary labour time involved in that transformation.

it is a major leap, but it's also the only logically defensible leap you can make. other explanations, like that "Y" just comes from the capitalist's machinery or the capitalist's incredible bargaining skills, fall apart under scrutiny

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

it is a major leap, but it's also the only logically defensible leap you can make. other explanations, like that "Y" just comes from the capitalist's machinery or the capitalist's incredible bargaining skills, fall apart under scrutiny

Y doesn't necessarily 'come from' any specific source at all, though. it's just a label applied to the difference between income and outlays, each of which may be determined by any number of specific circumstances. the claim that there's a straightforward unifying essence of this kind is a hypothesis that needs to be established empirically, not something we're obliged to default to by elimination of alternatives

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

what really fascinates me with lenin as a character is how human he feels when you read his texts or about his life. he loved kids and animals, though he had no children or pets of his own; there's an anecdote where he really likes a piece of music but basically shuts it down and starts ranting about how he can't allow himself to be sentimental. like, the poo poo he did very clearly weighed heavily on his conscience and he had to brutally suppress his own sensibilities

i remain convinced that someone's going to write a really good opera about lenin one day - his biography has so many amazing story beats, up to getting outmaneuvered at his deathbed by the system he made to win the civil war

Lenin was too good for this world. He was definitely an altruistic individual at heart, and witnessing the carnage of the Tsar, WW1, and the Russian civil war was definitely a factor in those fatal strokes he suffered from. His unique, inspirational style of prose is timeless.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Peel posted:

Y doesn't necessarily 'come from' any specific source at all, though. it's just a label applied to the difference between income and outlays, each of which may be determined by any number of specific circumstances. the claim that there's a straightforward unifying essence of this kind is a hypothesis that needs to be established empirically, not something we're obliged to default to by elimination of alternatives

i mean, it is, and you can see that from the way that the rate of profit falls as the proportion of variable capital to constant capital decreases

and anyway, "it's just the difference between income and outlays which can come from all sorts of places" is in fact the bog-standard liberal capitalist position. maybe it's just good timing on the owner's part, maybe it's the utility of this river that's providing us with so much electric power, maybe it's the temporary advantage being the only guy with a cotton gin is, who knows! certainly capitalist profits can't come solely from the difference between value and use-value at the point of production, because if it did, the only way to rectify the problem would be for workers to seize the means of production!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Malkina_ posted:

Lenin was too good for this world.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
remember that marx was trying to ponder the economy as one giant integrated account, inspired by his study of double-entry bookkeeping. capital gains and losses, losses and gains from trade, etc., that come at the expense of another participant — those things net out if you zoom out far enough that those losses and gains become part of the same system of accounts. that's why the aggregate equality of "total price = total value" isn't any more mysterious than, say, the balance of payments formula. people can be so worn out from the first three chapters of vol 1 of Capital that they miss the staggering importance of ch 5, which considers this

the willingness to adopt an accountant's perspective is pretty key to the whole thing, IMO

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
is there a good breakdown/summary somewhere of ltv vs marginal utility ?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
just realised bottom left isn't the needle drop guy

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Peel posted:

that sounds like a non explanation. if i have a bunch of inputs and sell my outputs for more, i must have added value somewhere or i'm just cheating someone out there somehow. maybe i'm just a really good salesman and can get away with that but an entire economy of profiting capitalists can't cheat each other to infinity.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

moomoomooo, more is say

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
last time i tried to get wrap my head around the LTV i found the following paper cool, but over my head in many/nearly all places. hopefully it helps someone itt

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxvNb6ewL7kOdWhYSEI4OVJHTkk/view

Finicums Wake fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 28, 2020

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i figure this is probably the best thread to ask in: are there any good books/articles on the years of lead in english?

edit: i found http://libcom.org/library/italy-1960s-70s-reading-guide which has anfew links, but would still appreciate hearing from others

Finicums Wake fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 28, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

as far as i can tell the LTV just assumes that value is a property of the object, I.e. there is such a thing as intrinsic and objective value which can be used in accounting. a lot of its intuitions can be pretty much recreated straight up in neoclassical economics - e.g. under ideal free market conditions, the price of a commodity will reflect the labour investment in procuring it. the difference is not technical, it's ontological; most contemporary economists are deeply skeptical of the idea of value being a property of the commodity itself, being invested in the idea of value existing in the mind of a market actor. this perspective does make sense when you're trying to describe price formation of scarce goods such as art or when discussing things like elasticity, but its main benefit is that it means one can fudge sidestepping marx's critique, which really does mostly follow logically from the value-as-property perspective

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Turtle turtle

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

as far as i can tell the LTV just assumes that value is a property of the object, I.e. there is such a thing as intrinsic and objective value which can be used in accounting. a lot of its intuitions can be pretty much recreated straight up in neoclassical economics - e.g. under ideal free market conditions, the price of a commodity will reflect the labour investment in procuring it. the difference is not technical, it's ontological; most contemporary economists are deeply skeptical of the idea of value being a property of the commodity itself, being invested in the idea of value existing in the mind of a market actor. this perspective does make sense when you're trying to describe price formation of scarce goods such as art or when discussing things like elasticity, but its main benefit is that it means one can fudge sidestepping marx's critique, which really does mostly follow logically from the value-as-property perspective

You are really describing an ontological misunderstanding that has been the excuse to ignore the theory. The value isn't a property of the object, it *is* the object. Capitalists exchange values, not things. There are no assumptions involved about what exactly those things are, on the contrary the things are abstracted away into the concept of use-value. But I repeat, the value is not a property of the use-value, the use-value is just some concrete body that value takes. Value is independent of its body, it just needs to have *some* body: it can switch bodies at will as long as those bodies are exchangeable for one another. The lifecycle difference should be obvious: a property only exists as long as its object does. But value, in most cases, outlives the things it's embodied in (for example, when oil is burned, its value does not disappear with it but instead takes the body of the end-product that the oil was burned to produce).

The inspiration from accounting shows here: numbers take the center stage, all the various different things in warehouses are recorded as nothing more than numbers. The numbers are embodied by different things in some warehouse or factory at different times, but what exactly those things are fundamentally doesn't matter as long as they are eventually exchangeable for the amount of money as recorded. Marx produced the concept of real abstractions for abstractions that weren't his invention, but his observations about everyone behaving as if those abstractions were just as real as the ground we stand on. From his perspective, value could only be disproven if recording everything as value-numbers had been nothing but some fad that we'd all be over already.

uncop fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 28, 2020

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

also value is objective insofar as there really is an average socially-necessary labor time to make something, but at the same time it's extremely plastic and relative insofar as new developments in technology can halve the value of existing objects at a stroke, or objects may have greater or lesser values if we limit ourselves to the perspective to a single developed or undeveloped country or something

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
lmfao

a Loving Dog fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 28, 2020

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

uncop posted:

You are really describing an ontological misunderstanding that has been the excuse to ignore the theory. The value isn't a property of the object, it *is* the object. Capitalists exchange values, not things. There are no assumptions involved about what exactly those things are, on the contrary the things are abstracted away into the concept of use-value. But I repeat, the value is not a property of the use-value, the use-value is just some concrete body that value takes. Value is independent of its body, it just needs to have *some* body: it can switch bodies at will as long as those bodies are exchangeable for one another. The lifecycle difference should be obvious: a property only exists as long as its object does. But value, in most cases, outlives the things it's embodied in (for example, when oil is burned, its value does not disappear with it but instead takes the body of the end-product that the oil was burned to produce).

idiot here: so this conception of value as the thing being traded and the concrete thing being an incidental form of the value is how rent works, right? If you were renting, say, a computer from someone, you might have the body of the computer but its use-value is being held by the owner you are paying rent to?

Theoretically, two people who own two identical computers could limitlessly exchange the use-value between them by exchanging ownership of the two computers. The use-value would, abstractly, keep swapping between them even though the computers haven't changed in any concrete way?

Which means that land rights aren't actually rights to the land, to to speak, but rights to the value of the land. Which makes sense, because people rarely occupy more than a small space of land to live on. You are purchasing the generative aspect of a space, the right to what it produces, more than any material thing. Which sounds like a small point but really i think delineates the difference between private property and personal property, in that in examining something as a piece of personal property valuation of a good is fundamentally oriented around the specific concrete body? ie. I don't actually want to rent my toothbrush out to someone else, even if the price were good. if I had a house on a piece of land to live on, the health of the land and the craft of the house is more important to me than the sell-ability, assuming I am not relating to the house as a commodity object but rather as a place to live?

Which means, i think, that fundamentally the concept of financialization is just an entrenchment of use-value as the primary value of a good, which is why, for example, universities in the u.s. are so expensive - because they presume that the education is a commodity that is essentially rented. you pay for it through loans and then pay back that education over time as an extracted value from the individual - that's why the laws are set up so that you can't default on student loan payments, and that's also why university systems tend to have higher credit bond ratings than the states they are situated inside of.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

mila kunis posted:

is there a good breakdown/summary somewhere of ltv vs marginal utility ?

it's the damnedest thing that after all this time, offhand i'm not sure there's anything i'd recommend as a comprehensive comparative treatment. the availability heuristic is real, and it sucks.

generally speaking, though, marginal utility holds that demand driven by relative wants and needs is the basic factor that explains the shape of the economy. what is commonly called the LTV says that subjective valuation is not enough to explain the dynamics of a capitalist economy, as though everyone were only participating in it as either a merchant or a consumer, with the spot-exchange as the definitive moment of the whole thing. to marx, the exchange, or realization, is one part of a bigger process, which commands the entire labor process, and indeed the production and reproduction of the social life of humanity. here, production is given the top billing in the last analysis, though it's part of a larger dialectic also encompassing distribution, exchange and consumption, each part of which is essential to the whole

the ironic thing is that marx and the classicals on which he was building don't dispute the importance of subjective valuation in exchange — in fact it was so obvious as to be taken as a given, and is baked into the entire concept of "use-value." it's correct to say that "having a use" is indeed a very general abstraction, but it's ultimately a commonality that highlights a difference between things, rather than something directly comparable. a system of exchanges with a money-good acting as a numeraire implies a means of adjudicating equality, and equality implies commensurability. socially necessary labor time is likewise a very fundamental abstraction, but unlike uses, it's quantitative rather than qualitative.

what's good in marginal utility theory isn't original, and what's original isn't good. but i'm pretty biased i think.

Impermanent posted:

idiot here: so this conception of value as the thing being traded and the concrete thing being an incidental form of the value is how rent works, right? If you were renting, say, a computer from someone, you might have the body of the computer but its use-value is being held by the owner you are paying rent to?
closer to the other way around; use-value is just what the useful, practical thing is, in its basic operation. value is the socially necessary abstract labor time embodied by the thing.

the "body" of the computer — which is to say, the computer — is both a value and a use-value at the same time, with neither aspect strictly separable from it. it's just that the former considers it along a quantitative dimension, and the latter along the qualitative.

as a renter, you would be more interested in the computer considered as a use-value. to the owner, it's more thought of in terms of being a value. and since the legal claim on it would still belong to said owner, your permit to enjoy it as a use-value is usually conditioned on you not damaging its value beyond standard depreciation.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 28, 2020

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Aeolius posted:

closer to the other way around; use-value is just what the useful, practical thing is, in its basic operation. value is the socially necessary abstract labor time embodied by the thing.

the "body" of the computer — which is to say, the computer — is both a value and a use-value at the same time, with neither aspect strictly separable from it. it's just that the former considers it along a quantitative dimension, and the latter along the qualitative.

as a renter, you would be more interested in the computer considered as a use-value. to the owner, it's more thought of in terms of being a value. and since the legal claim on it would still belong to said owner, your permit to enjoy it as a use-value is usually conditioned on you not damaging its value beyond standard depreciation.

ahh okay, that makes sense. thank you for clarifying

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

it seems to me that even from a marginalist perspective you can still argue that labor is the engine that makes things more useful, unless you're just gonna argue that its a complete coincidence that say silverware is more in demand than iron ore

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Impermanent posted:

Theoretically, two people who own two identical computers could limitlessly exchange the use-value between them by exchanging ownership of the two computers. The use-value would, abstractly, keep swapping between them even though the computers haven't changed in any concrete way?

Which means that land rights aren't actually rights to the land, to to speak, but rights to the value of the land. Which makes sense, because people rarely occupy more than a small space of land to live on. You are purchasing the generative aspect of a space, the right to what it produces, more than any material thing. Which sounds like a small point but really i think delineates the difference between private property and personal property, in that in examining something as a piece of personal property valuation of a good is fundamentally oriented around the specific concrete body? ie. I don't actually want to rent my toothbrush out to someone else, even if the price were good. if I had a house on a piece of land to live on, the health of the land and the craft of the house is more important to me than the sell-ability, assuming I am not relating to the house as a commodity object but rather as a place to live?

Which means, i think, that fundamentally the concept of financialization is just an entrenchment of use-value as the primary value of a good, which is why, for example, universities in the u.s. are so expensive - because they presume that the education is a commodity that is essentially rented. you pay for it through loans and then pay back that education over time as an extracted value from the individual - that's why the laws are set up so that you can't default on student loan payments, and that's also why university systems tend to have higher credit bond ratings than the states they are situated inside of.

Use-value is not a form of value, it's just confusingly named. It's actually the opposite of value. What it means for value and use-value to be opposites is that the physical computer can never be both at the same time, it changes roles between the two aspects. It's a value on the balance sheet, a use-value in use. The balance sheet doesn't appreciate the usefulness of the computer beyond converting it into money, and the user of the computer doesn't appreciate its direct convertibility into money. If I rent a computer from another person, I get a portion of its use-value (I get to use the computer for however many days out of the total days it will work before it breaks down or otherwise becomes useless) and have to pay a sum of money that is equivalent to that portion of its value (roughly the sum of money that it's deemed to be worth on an accounting sheet).

Say a computer costs $1000, lasts for 5 years, and you rent it for 6 months, and the lender does not actually take rent. In the beginning they're holding $1000 of value in computer-form. Once they've lent it to you, they hold the same $1000 value, $100 of it in money-form and another $900 in obligation-form (i.e. you have to return the computer or pay for damages). Once your term has ended, they are holding still the same $1000 of value, now $100 in money-form and $900 in computer-form. On the side of the renter (if they are renting the computer for productive use), they initially hold $100 value in money-form, then transform it into computer-form, and finally to the form of whatever product they made using the computer.

The "computer-form" here is not a use-value though, it's the physical body of the value. It's the $1000 that both expect to be able to milk out of the computer if they were to use it for the full 5 years. But "use" means entirely different things for the two: for the lender "using" the computer means lending it, for the renter it means producing something with it. So no use-value is ever exchanged between those two, because they did not have a use-value in common for the computer in the first place. What actually happens is that the physical computer takes on different use-values.

If two people exchange two functionally identical computers back and forth, from a market perspective it's a no-op, it makes no difference on any balance sheet because on both sides, neither the magnitude of the value nor its form changes. The only reason for two people to do that is some sentimental one that has nothing to do with economics.

uncop fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 28, 2020

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

uncop posted:

The "computer-form" here is not a use-value though, it's the physical body of the value. It's the $1000 that both expect to be able to milk out of the computer if they were to use it for the full 5 years. But "use" means entirely different things for the two: for the lender "using" the computer means lending it, for the renter it means producing something with it. So no use-value is ever exchanged between those two, because they did not have a use-value in common for the computer in the first place. What actually happens is that the physical computer takes on different use-values.

I'm always iffy about the use of the phrase "use-value" to encapsulate a thing being exchanged, financialized, etc, because when Marx discusses it, he notes that in that case it's not being taken as a use-value at all:

quote:

What chiefly distinguishes a commodity from its owner is the fact, that it looks upon every other commodity as but the form of appearance of its own value. ... His commodity possesses for himself no immediate use-value. Otherwise, he would not bring it to the market. It has use-value for others; but for himself its only direct use-value is that of being a depository of exchange-value, and, consequently, a means of exchange.[3] Therefore, he makes up his mind to part with it for commodities whose value in use is of service to him. All commodities are non-use-values for their owners, and use-values for their non-owners. Consequently, they must all change hands. But this change of hands is what constitutes their exchange, and the latter puts them in relation with each other as values, and realises them as values. Hence commodities must be realised as values before they can be realised as use-values.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Aeolius posted:

I'm always iffy about the use of the phrase "use-value" to encapsulate a thing being exchanged, financialized, etc, because when Marx discusses it, he notes that in that case it's not being taken as a use-value at all:

Check your quote again. It says the commodity has no *immediate* use-value to the seller, but it still has an indirect use-value though its convertibility into money. I don't believe I misrepresented this in what I said. The way I phrased this is that the lender and renter don't have a use-value in common for the same thing.

Marx's point here is to criticise economists who thiught that the seller is simultaneously a user and is weighting a thing's use-value against its value. Basically, imagining that people think like: "Do I eat this hamburger or would I rather sell it? Depends on the price!"

uncop fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 28, 2020

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Fair enough. I just find that I have an easier time conveying the concept of use-value when I focus on it as a category of thing (this is/isn't a use-value) — a set that includes the set of all commodities — rather than a property of a thing (which renders "use-value" and "utility" more or less interchangeable, and opens up the door to stuff like neoclassical imputations of utils).

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/kurt_loder/status/1297896924629139457

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Do big titty bimbos with blonde hair and pussy eating lips and big soft asses produce surplus value? Waiting for your reply.

E: please I need to know by my next shoe shopping trip

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Aeolius posted:

Fair enough. I just find that I have an easier time conveying the concept of use-value when I focus on it as a category of thing (this is/isn't a use-value) — a set that includes the set of all commodities — rather than a property of a thing (which renders "use-value" and "utility" more or less interchangeable, and opens up the door to stuff like neoclassical imputations of utils).

I do treat it as a category as well, but lifecycle-wise it's not too terrible to describe it as if it were a property, because once a thing breaks down, its role as use-value is gone as well. Of course use-value can't be a real property, since it's determined by society rather than the thing itself. But all in all, people who don't understand dialectics are likely to get it much less wrong when thinking of it as a property than they are thinking of it as a category. Because it's a dialectical category, and basically no one understands dialectics so they interpret "category" in an unintended way.

A use-value is a dialectical general/universal that consists all the concrete thing-instances that satisfy the use-value. This categorization model does not work like how we understand categories normally! If I say "category", people generally imagine I have a set of things, and I'm trying to come up with buckets for the so that each goes in exactly one. But that's not it at all: a swiss army knife (or a computer) is an instance of a large number of use-values simultaneously (and consciously produced to be exactly that way). So there's a many-to-many relationship between use-values and things: a use-value is one or more things and a thing is zero or more use-values. The relationship is like a classical object with its property, because that's exactly what dialectics transformed into its categories. Classical ontologies would say that a strawberry has a red color, dialectics would say that a strawberry exhibits a general process of red-coloredness.

(But while classical ontology might then have a categorization problem with a green strawberry, dialectics would just say it's a strawberry that doesn't exhibit red-coloredness, and that it's a totally fine strawberry as long as it wasn't redness that you sought from it. Because the strawberry is just a phenomenal set of process-instances rather than a true object. The true object is some process that the thing is an instance of. Like a value or a use-value.)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

T-man posted:

Do big titty bimbos with blonde hair and pussy eating lips and big soft asses produce surplus value? Waiting for your reply.

i'm pretty sure this question can be rendered in terms of economics but ultimately transcends the boundaries of its ability to make legitimate knowledge claims

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

T-man posted:

You already know the truth.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

We are living inside a horrible novel. Next we'll hear about a factory worker named Johnny Proletarian.
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1299591264556335104?s=20

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

uncop posted:

I do treat it as a category as well, but lifecycle-wise it's not too terrible to describe it as if it were a property,

I am duty-bound to launch into a tirade about the slippery slope to positivism here!!

but nah, it's good. I won't say I'm personally convinced of your pedagogic thrust — e.g., I tend to find most people are intuitive dialecticians, and just haven't been made aware (and/or don't particularly care) that that's already what they were doing — but if you've had better luck explaining that way, then more power to you. those hundred flowers blooming, etc.

e:

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

We are living inside a horrible novel. Next we'll hear about a factory worker named Johnny Proletarian.
close enough
https://twitter.com/katemaclel/status/1298473163559333893

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

Aeolius posted:

I am duty-bound to launch into a tirade about the slippery slope to positivism here!!

but nah, it's good. I won't say I'm personally convinced of your pedagogic thrust — e.g., I tend to find most people are intuitive dialecticians, and just haven't been made aware (and/or don't particularly care) that that's already what they were doing — but if you've had better luck explaining that way, then more power to you. those hundred flowers blooming, etc.

e:

close enough
https://twitter.com/katemaclel/status/1298473163559333893

It's not really a pedagogical principle for me but just trying to limit the scope of an individual forum post instead of having to set a lot of things up to be able to answer the actual question. If I were writing an essay or could plan an hour-long lecture, I wouldn't do the same thing.

I agree that people are intuitive dialecticians, but if you explain things with words they associate with undialectical thinking, they will be unable to use that intuition. When trying to describe dialectical stuff to someone who doesn't understand dialectics and without having to explain dialectics, I would avoid every one of the words that people hear in philosophy classes like the plague. Absolutely no mention of subjects, objects, properties, relations and so on. But since people are already using those words here, it's too late to ignore them.

Edit: Here's a brain teaser for y'all. How does one say "the computer's use-value" in a way that is both correct (non-metaphorical!) and terse? See, a computer can be six different calculators, twenty server processes, a spreadsheet-editor, a bitcoin miner and a strawberry drier: speaking of "a computer's use-value" is completely abstract and does not imply enough about the use-value in question to even make a reasonable guess as to what it is. So to get closer to correctness, we have to discard the computer and observe its user. But once we do that, we will discover that the use values are actually calculation, bitcoin-mining and spreadsheet-editing, and realize that the computer is just an interchangeable phenomenal detail and not actually analytically interesting.

Once we throw out the computer, we have a long list of use values that could be tersely described in themselves but not in one package. So we might have to reintroduce the "computer" as an abstract linguistical container over all those use-values. But if we want to be correct and not lapse back into metaphor, this "computer" must explicitly not refer to the real computer we began with but exactly that specific set of use-values. But then we'd have to explain the difference between our abstract computer and the real computer, and would be long-winded and confusing again.

It's a nightmare! I wish we had chips in our brains that allowed terms to be defined unambiguously exactly one time, and after that anyone could understand from just one word what exactly is being referred to.

uncop fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 29, 2020