Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BonHair posted:

Anything heavier than 9s is for downtuning.

I am going to buy new strings today. It's almost been a year of the same ones and my E sounds muddy as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Vintersorg posted:

I am going to buy new strings today. It's almost been a year of the same ones and my E sounds muddy as gently caress.

how is your G string?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

how is your G string?

"Muddy"

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
just replaced my tele's strings after 4 months and now it sounds awesome. i didn't notice how the stickiness of the worn strings was slowing me down.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My dude have you ever hear of Fast Fret?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ok Comboomer posted:

how is your G string?

Tight.

Also want to start saving up for the Albert Hammond signature strat. It's only $1200 and I kind worship The Strokes. (I finally learned 3 songs... granted they are easy. Some of their other stuff really fucks me. 12:51, Barely Legal, Meet Me in the Bathroom so far). I even have my Jekyl & Hyde that I miraculously found locally on the classifieds.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

Anything heavier than 9s is for downtuning.

i like an 11, but i guess i do downtune to e-flat.

where's heavy string crew at? represent.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I run flatwound 11s on my tele, and 12s on my full-size acoustic.

I put a set of 9s on it once and it felt effortless, but not in a good way.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I recently put 10-52s on one of mine and it feels so good(C standard, drop B, drop a# depending). I have gravitated towards thinner strings the past few months and it's quite nice picking up a guitar and it feeling noticeably different to get you in that metal mindset.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I just put 11-54s on my jazzmaaster for drop B. I was using 10-52 skinny top heavy bottoms but it turns out I dont miss the skinny top and the added tension seems to solve a lot of buzzing issues.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Helianthus Annuus posted:

theres another 6th string root voicing to consider. i dont think anyone uses it, its just "root position" 5421xx

^^ i give this one 1/5 stars because of how uncomfortable it is to play, but you could use it further up the neck if you wanted. but the way it "spocks" out your fingers makes it a bummer

Yeah I thought about that as a what if, it's a lot of thirds though! But you could definitely use it in a Situation

It's not movable but x3240x is still my fav, so dark, so mean then you can add a finger to get x3243x and have a maj9 - so nice, so pure!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah, and when you find out that all of your guitar heroes from the 60s-80s used way lighter gauge strings than anything you were told was “normal” when growing up in the 00s...

I blame Ernie Ball. I bought Regular Slinkies for years and never questioned it.

Yeah but "Thicker strings have more tone!" :tinfoil:

Vintersorg posted:

a YEAR?! :stonk:

My dude you need to change your strings like every month minimum. Maybe two months if you get elixirs.

beer gas canister posted:

i didn't notice how the stickiness of the worn strings was slowing me down.

Because it happens gradually, you get used to it as they wear down and never notice it all at once.

Which is why you have to be vigilant about restringing every few weeks.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Spanish Manlove posted:

My dude have you ever hear of Fast Fret?

it was applied to the neck of one of my guitars a long time ago and it felt slippery - not my favorite. i wasn't aware that it could be used to clean strings though. i just switch guitars when strings start to get bad. i put coated strings on one of my axes but they seem a little bit tough to bend with.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NYXLs + washing hands before playing + microfiber cloth on the strings after playing = months and months of new string sound

Hasn’t failed me in years and I’m picky as hell about my sound and instrument feel.

Fast Fret is super gross in my experience but everyone has their own preferences!

i put coated strings on one of my axes but they seem a little bit tough to bend with.

That’s why I’ve always gone back to regular strings. Even the best coated ones feel strangely rigid and lack the nice bounce guitar strings should have.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 26, 2020

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

it was applied to the neck of one of my guitars a long time ago and it felt slippery - not my favorite. i wasn't aware that it could be used to clean strings though. i just switch guitars when strings start to get bad. i put coated strings on one of my axes but they seem a little bit tough to bend with.

You put it on then wipe the excess off so it doesn't feel too slippery.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I thought about that as a what if, it's a lot of thirds though! But you could definitely use it in a Situation

It's not movable but x3240x is still my fav, so dark, so mean then you can add a finger to get x3243x and have a maj9 - so nice, so pure!

While we're talking about Maj7s around the neck, my favorite movable one is xx7654, no inversions here, just a pure 1-3-5-7 in an easy and lovely sounding shape that just rings gorgeously wherever you play it.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Baron von Eevl posted:

While we're talking about Maj7s around the neck, my favorite movable one is xx7654, no inversions here, just a pure 1-3-5-7 in an easy and lovely sounding shape that just rings gorgeously wherever you play it.

That is a good one. I'm a big fan of xx5777 and xx2224 as well, as they sound good and are super easy to play.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Baron von Eevl posted:

place this over the root's relative minor to create a maj7add9 chord

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Sure, but you can do that with any maj7.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lumpy posted:

That is a good one. I'm a big fan of xx5777 and xx2224 as well, as they sound good and are super easy to play.

That last one reminds me of a good minor add9 chord, xx7557. As heard in the opening of The Cure's Lovesong.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

monolithburger posted:

Gareth Liddiard from Tropical gently caress Storm/The Drones plays a beat to hell CAR Jaguar, therefore they're cool :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4F8fV5zUpE&t=2475s

cool well every other JG-66 on the market is CAR so they are easy to find and not a whole whole lot of money.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
i just use the heaviest thickest strings I can find because thats what Kurt Cobain did, I know thats dumb. Thats my whole idea of cool and its frozen there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zaphod42 posted:

a YEAR?! :stonk:

My dude you need to change your strings like every month minimum. Maybe two months if you get elixirs.

Hehe, I don’t really practice enough (in my head) to do it. Nor do I play shows. Even my teacher was like unless you’re going hard all the time it’ll be ok.

Can wiser eyes see any wear and tear?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
If the high strings don't shine, they're corroded. There are some corrosion spots on the wounds too.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I make playing rusty strings look goooooood :smuggo:

(END STRING SNOBBERY!)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hard to tell from phone quality pic or whatever but yeah the high strings do look pretty gunky to me :v:

To each his own but I find that changing strings frequently just makes me happier if I don't forget / get too lazy to do it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm lazy and cheap so I don't change strings that often unless I break one. I'll often go 6+ months without changing, the ones on my tele are probably closer to a year and my dano is at 1yr+.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Lumpy posted:

love these ones. great for a 2nd guitar part, or for playing with a friend on bass! especially the maj7 with the 5th in the root

they pair well with these minor 7th chord voicings: xx4655 and xx4435

these voice lead into each other nicely -- it pays to know a couple inversions!

Baron von Eevl posted:

its nice of the luthiers to put that major 3rd in there between the 2nd and 3rd strings, so you can play a root position voicing like this without getting "spocked"

it sounds nice on littler 4 strings vs the bigger 4 strings. Fmaj7 xx3210 was a life-saver as a beginner guitar player, when barre chords were too hard for me to do. this chord is an old friend

:whitewater: i suggest using coated strings from now on!

if you take another picture after you put the new strings on, and compare to ^^, you're gonna be blown away haha

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

place this over the root's relative minor to create a maj7add9 chord

is my guitar broken or am i bad at following directions?

im taking a G major 7th chord xx5432. and playing the E string for 0x5432, but i'm getting an E minor 9 chord instead :confused:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
the other day, i was playing a G# minor 7th chord

code:
fret # - interval
11 - 5th
12 - major 3rd
11 - minor 7th
13 - 5th
11 - root
x
and then i turned it into an E major 9 chord just by voicing the open E string :twisted:

code:
fret # - interval
11 - major 7th
12 - 5th
11 - 9th
13 - major 7th
11 - major 3rd
0  - root
thought it was pretty cool. its fun to play around with the open strings

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Helianthus Annuus posted:

if you take another picture after you put the new strings on, and compare to ^^, you're gonna be blown away haha

:lol:

i'll prob change em tomorrow

i bought some basic d'addario 8 - 38's

i hope i dont have to adjust too much, i just have 9s right now

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I read somewhere Kim Deal of The Breeders prefers old strings. Thus I never change them either. I like strings to sound dead like a corpse, which is way more punk than some slicked up brightass strings.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Aint no city slicker strings round here, city slicker!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I never did like the sound of brand brand new strings.

A pair of strings with like 2 to 4 hours on them though... man. That's the stuff.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

excellent bird guy posted:

I read somewhere Kim Deal of The Breeders prefers old strings. Thus I never change them either. I like strings to sound dead like a corpse, which is way more punk than some slicked up brightass strings.

Jeff Tweedy said in some interview I read once that he doesn't feel like a set of strings is "ready" until they get to the point most people would change them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like taking care of my instruments by changing strings relatively often. I also now clean the fretboard every time I change strings as I didn't do that for entirely too long.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm lazy and cheap so I don't change strings that often unless I break one. I'll often go 6+ months without changing, the ones on my tele are probably closer to a year and my dano is at 1yr+.

This. If it ain't broke, don't change it. I have even just changed the one broken string and left the other 5 year-old strings on before. I AM A MONSTER. :krakken:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Firefly les Paul’s are in stock

https://guitarsgarden.com/collections/fflp-electric-guitars

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I had a spare cheapo acoustic up on facebook market to sell and a guy offered me twice the value in bass for it, so now I own a bass.

How do you play bass? (Is there a Justin equivalent or something? A good book to recommend?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's like guitar but bigger.