Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sadly this kind of poo poo is all too common. Companies are magnanimous as long as you're cooperating with them initially, then as soon as its time to pay out they're suddenly frugal and concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

After seeing the aftermath of this scenario play out hundreds of times I don’t even mess around with the companies anymore. It’s always straight to insurance.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Even third-party insurance claims are generally a joyless slog.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
That sucks about the Suzuki wagon, had you gotten an inspection on it?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Charles posted:

I read all that and have a hard time understanding his text messages. After begging not to contact insurance he made a claim anyway?

And what's the $1400 about a jetski or whatever?

He didn't file a claim for his insurance, I read that as a direct lie.
I'm pretty sure, given what he said, he didn't understand the actual damage done. He took the pictures of the hinges so he knows it was snapped, but :confused:
At first he assumed it was just the glass. Then after the pictures he knew there would be paint work. I think what he's saying about the "1400 jetski" is he has someone that would paint all of that for less money. Cool fine whatever but gently caress you, your damage under your watch and you WILL pay for it to be done right.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

You'd think there would be some sort of checklist before loading the car, like making sure the hood is secure. Should have been pretty obvious too that it wasn't latched, the guy either has very poor observational skills or he just doesn't give a poo poo. I'd guess the later.

I give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he just made an honest mistake. It happens all the time to everyone so perhaps this was his time. Like I said this is 8th? Car we've had him transport and every other one has been delivered perfectly. The issue is he could take responsibility and immediately tried to make it that we were taking advantage of him. We just wanted the car delivered like always.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

After seeing the aftermath of this scenario play out hundreds of times I don’t even mess around with the companies anymore. It’s always straight to insurance.

Ultimately this situation did play out like it should have, on paper. The 'junk' comments and him being a putz after the fact is just a detail. It his hilarious, and has brought us even closer to the body shop where we have a good rapport going, the transport broker, all that. Good things have come from this, we've learned some things and I'm so glad we didn't have him transport anything else after the fact.
You're probably right though, next time directly to insurance. We were gun-shy about that though because we did just make a claim on the Rugger, to make another one so soon wouldn't be a good look.

dphi posted:

That sucks about the Suzuki wagon, had you gotten an inspection on it?

We did, and we just assume the selling party wiped the oil cap. At idle it holds temp just fine, only when being driven does the needle climb. Inspections are done in those super lots and the cars are never driven, just idled, moved a few feet back and forth. It's completely conceivable that the inspector did all that and the temp never climbed and the milkshake never appeared on the bottom of the oil fill cap.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

He didn't file a claim for his insurance, I read that as a direct lie.
I'm pretty sure, given what he said, he didn't understand the actual damage done. He took the pictures of the hinges so he knows it was snapped, but :confused:
At first he assumed it was just the glass. Then after the pictures he knew there would be paint work. I think what he's saying about the "1400 jetski" is he has someone that would paint all of that for less money. Cool fine whatever but gently caress you, your damage under your watch and you WILL pay for it to be done right.

I give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he just made an honest mistake. It happens all the time to everyone so perhaps this was his time. Like I said this is 8th? Car we've had him transport and every other one has been delivered perfectly. The issue is he could take responsibility and immediately tried to make it that we were taking advantage of him. We just wanted the car delivered like always.

Ultimately this situation did play out like it should have, on paper. The 'junk' comments and him being a putz after the fact is just a detail. It his hilarious, and has brought us even closer to the body shop where we have a good rapport going, the transport broker, all that. Good things have come from this, we've learned some things and I'm so glad we didn't have him transport anything else after the fact.
You're probably right though, next time directly to insurance. We were gun-shy about that though because we did just make a claim on the Rugger, to make another one so soon wouldn't be a good look.

We did, and we just assume the selling party wiped the oil cap. At idle it holds temp just fine, only when being driven does the needle climb. Inspections are done in those super lots and the cars are never driven, just idled, moved a few feet back and forth. It's completely conceivable that the inspector did all that and the temp never climbed and the milkshake never appeared on the bottom of the oil fill cap.

That could just be condensation from humidity. Best do a compression test before yuh go tearing the engine apart.

Sucks about the Sera. All he had to do was take responsibility and be aware of what he was transporting (as in, not a common POS) and everything would have been fine. Would have made him even more trustworthy, but no, he’s gotta be the wronged party.

Edit: also LOL at the “I can get my junk painted badly somewhere else in another town cheaper” BS.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Oh I didn't realize it was the same driver I thought it was just the same company with different drivers.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Darchangel posted:

That could just be condensation from humidity. Best do a compression test before yuh go tearing the engine apart.

Sucks about the Sera. All he had to do was take responsibility and be aware of what he was transporting (as in, not a common POS) and everything would have been fine. Would have made him even more trustworthy, but no, he's gotta be the wronged party.

Edit: also LOL at the "I can get my junk painted badly somewhere else in another town cheaper" BS.

Yeah who knows. It's done with now, we already have a new transport company we're working with and all is well. Plus a good story!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh I didn't realize it was the same driver I thought it was just the same company with different drivers.

"ValFam Logisitics" is two people, a husband (the driver) and a wife (the dispatcher). Funny enough there should be a lot of respect because their situation mirrors ours pretty directly, husband and wife team just doing small business things.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Why I hate dealing with anyone but my now trusted driver from Savannah. Too many shady idiots (now I have had some great people pick up lately for BAT sales). Like whoever has my 3 from Baltimore I haven’t even heard back from him when he will be here.

Wine one tonight 96 Pajero Mini 60k km

And some port pics just rolled in, Toyota Sprinter SE Vintage

everdave fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 19, 2020

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-toyota-corolla-ii/

Welp Corolla II is live on Bring a Trailer. No reserve, whatever it sells for it sells for :toot:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Welp Corolla II is live on Bring a Trailer. No reserve, whatever it sells for it sells for :toot:

They have you 9+ days how did you get that? I’ve sold 7 on there they never offered me longer. Need to get fire truck and new hiace camper submitted

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

KakerMix posted:

That is such a good body shape :discourse:

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

KakerMix posted:

out of curiosity, what are you hoping for?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

at, ac, actual mileage, spoiler paint peeling, rear panel dents, interior dirty, other dents scratches paint faded

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant ok, no oil leaks, tires old and cracked, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage rear area surface rust spots, boots ok, roof faded, rear bumper and right corner area scratches, windshield chips small, seats ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner slightly dirty, no burns, ac ok, at no shock or lag, check lamps ok, lights ok, power steering ok, power windows ok, mirrors ok, wipers ok, sunroof ok

1993 Toyota HiAce van. The very best KZ turbo diesel, automatic, big ol' sunroof action, neat wheels and a mere 66,000 km, about 41,000 miles. It's a 2WD model rather than the AWD one I'd usually go for but ehhh why not it's super nice. All original down to the OG headunit. Just a Super Custom rather than the Super Custom Limited so it doesn't have the digital dashboard either.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
very sweet van!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's a road trip van right there

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I got so much going on pics are best

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that camper looks loving awesome

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
That steering wheel looks slick.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

therobit posted:

That steering wheel looks slick.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m the double-DIN MiniDisc player

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is that a screen in the rightmost cluster element?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Blanked-out tach would be my guess

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Been a while since I've seen such a blatant "meh, leave it out".

Though Peugeot used to have the boggo models come with a large clock where the rev counter would be on higher spec versions, for that Radar Love approach to rev matching.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
No tach but it's got A/C, alright with me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

Been a while since I've seen such a blatant "meh, leave it out".

Though Peugeot used to have the boggo models come with a large clock where the rev counter would be on higher spec versions, for that Radar Love approach to rev matching.

My fav so far was my XJ Cherokee, with nothing but a speedo, and a gigantic fuel gauge. You have no idea what the sngine is doing (it didn't really matter anyway...) but you knew to 1/32 of a tank how much fuel you had.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

No tach on manuals is hilarious. Pretty sure everdave's is an automatic, right?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

KakerMix posted:

No tach on manuals is hilarious. Pretty sure everdave's is an automatic, right?

You don't need a tach to shift dude :clint:

Also I learned a little 5sp Isuzu PUP without a tach so I'm biased. All feel, baby.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I grew up on a steady diet of Japanese imports. The manuals were almost always base models and the autos were higher spec so you only had a tach on an auto, where it’s perfectly redundant.

I’ve always used auditory cues for shifting. Does it sound wrong? It’s probably wrong.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, hub lock, factory wheels, interior dirty and scratched, dashboard cracks, ceiling liner stains and loose, undercarriage surface rust and paint, rear spare cover scratched, sunroof noises when operating, small chips in windshield, other dents scratches paint waves

Inspector Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, timing belt sticker at around 100,xxxkm, no sludge, coolant ok, valve cover area slightly oily, tires at 60% no cracks, spare ok, bonus tires are studless on aftermarket wheels slight corrosion, ceiling liner left rear slight stains and loose, undercarriage/fenders/wheel wells slight surface rust only, left rear repairs done well/hard to tell, windshield chips small, drivers seat lightly worn, other seats ok, rear headrests ok, dashboard passenger side 2cm x2 crack 7cm tear, ceiling liner sunroof area slightly loose, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, hub lock ok, lights ok, wipers ok, mirrors ok, windows ok, power steering ok, sunroof motor noises

MUSTLE-BOUND, YET REFINED 4WD
PRODUCED BY TOYOTA

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2 door shorty. 5 speed manual, 130,000 km, bonus wheels on snow tires in the back. KZ 3 liter turbo diesel engine. Noisy sunroof action. It is, essentially, the same Prado as the 4 door green one we had just short wheelbase. What else is there to say? Prados are the best. :toot:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 28, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Sweet Prado!!

My HiAce camper with the Toyota logo where the tach is, IS an auto and with the 2.8 diesel their is no need to know the revs just know they are low and slow.

I have lots of imports with manuals with no tach. I don't shift by tach and never have unless trying to shift before redline in something I was hooning.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
My KLR650 is the first manual anything I've had with a tach.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slothrop posted:

I grew up on a steady diet of Japanese imports. The manuals were almost always base models and the autos were higher spec so you only had a tach on an auto, where it’s perfectly redundant.

I’ve always used auditory cues for shifting. Does it sound wrong? It’s probably wrong.

My EG had a non operating speedometer and no tach so I would shift in city driving when the rear view mirror rattled (4K) and I knew I was going about 95 km/h when the left wing mirror followed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
The only times I wish I had a tach is when on the highway with these things. What RPMs am I turning at 110 kph? :iiam:

DOCK PIX of the boring-rear end 2WD HiAce

Big, turbo diesel, cool wheels, bad tires, wicked sick lace job.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That's A/C water I hope? Pretty slick, great condition.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Charles posted:

That's A/C water I hope? Pretty slick, great condition.

Yeah the van is on in the pictures and the AC is running, it's the AC water. I'd certainly know if it was otherwise as that poo poo wouldn't be allowed on the boat.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Beautiful hiace yo surprised you got a 2wd I am happy you did you just always seem hyper focused where I could literally buy anything at any time and come up with a reason why it makes perfect sense

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I saw a very clean Acty Street today with extremely rad graphics. I can’t find a similar photo online so maybe they weren’t OEM but they looked good. Hopefully I can get a picture next time. First kei van I’ve seen around here.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

ought ten posted:

I saw a very clean Acty Street today with extremely rad graphics. I can’t find a similar photo online so maybe they weren’t OEM but they looked good. Hopefully I can get a picture next time. First kei van I’ve seen around here.

A van? I’ve never seen one factory at auction with anything but subdued stripes in the past 2-3 years. Would love to see it they lend themselves to a cool graphic or the Dixie cup stripes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yes, a van. The decals were a combo of thick striped and the word STREET as I remember it. I’ll definitely have my camera ready next time I go that way.